[v0.19] Damned Robotics Version 1.3

DYJ

Squeezing things too hard makes the physics go mental, so try to avoid that.

This could be an alternative that allows for a more civilized berthing, what do you guys think?

How does that get around the problem of hollow collision meshes?

By using several of them. The new Toggle/Servo module supports an unlimited number of colliders (sure, if you use too many the game will slow to a crawl ;)).

This could be an alternative that allows for a more civilized berthing, what do you guys think?

If you do that, combined with mechjeb or Nova\'s unmanned control unit, we\'ll have everything we need for a full Apollo mission profile.

These things you guys manage to do are amazing, I\'ll almost be surprised if some one doesn\'t beat .15 all the way to the punch and find a way to do fuel transfers too.

I\'m fairly certain it\'ll have the same problems as all the other proposed solutions once it goes on rails, since as I understand it collider meshes aren\'t simulated then.

Like Thiel says, this won\'t work at warps higher than 2x since the physics simply stop working.

Progress:

Does this size look alright for the set of smaller arm parts?

Yeah I think that looks good for the loop.

Sorry If I missed it earlier in the thread, are you doing smaller versions of the servos? I love the way you can set up everything exactly as you want, and the pieces are very well done.

The speed of the rotation by keyboard control (as opposed to clicking the button) is a bit too fast though, it throws little rovers like the Bigtrak around. I like how the button is slow though, lets you set up precicely how you want.

I love this stuff, I\'m midway through a an airship that uses some for a landing claw, among other things.

Edit: Oh, BTW, is it possible to make the configuration menu sizeable?

BarryCarlyon, looks like you\'re seeing what I was seeing with the connection problem, at least with the bottom piston 'feet'.

That seems to happen to every engine pile I stick on moving parts, and the tiltrotors do that whenever at their rest position just from gravity. In 'normal' KSP, struts solve the part slide by giving multiple points of contact. Unfortunately, the strut connections don\'t update when the parts move, so you have to choose wobbly joints or stationary parts if it\'s going to be under load. If there were a way of giving multiple points of attachment to the movable joints(like a double bearing), it would probably solve the deflection/clearance, but I don\'t have any idea how that would be done in Unity.

I found a bug with the hinges, they sometimes position themselves wrong after saving the game, here\'s an example:

my vehicle before saving:

screenshot40.png

and after saving and returning to it:

screenshot41.png

As you can see, the left 'leg' suddenly points in the opposite angle compared to before saving.

I linked the .craft, you\'ll need KW challenger pack, C7 parts and the Katerpillar wheels though.

This is fun ^^ now how to get this thing to the mun?

cp0mt.png

9degE.png

n5tJ3.png

had to switch designs:

VxbWl.png

SVBeN.png

I built a much larger arm base out of kosmos station parts, some truss parts and caterpillar wheels and built a massive laggy rocket to get it to the moon and I managed that successfully. You should be fine with that guy, just keep that arm pointing straight up and make sure it does not wobble.

easyest way to get these things to the mun is the gravistapa. its helpfull, since you done need as much thrust. and it can be used as a break too. (kinda a cheat part though)

I just downloaded this and I must say the ability to make movable turrets is particularly awesome for me. However I currently have one problem. If you attach the \'top\' (small end) of a rotatron to a part, then try to attach, say, a truck to the bottom of it, it flips upside down.

Another little thing I\'ve noticed, the rotatron seems to have difficulty mounting opposite another rotatron in 2x symmetry on a cylindrical part.

Also, it would be nice if the hinges were asymmetrical, either in shape or in color. When making my six-legged walker (which relied on each pair of three legs moving in unison), I had to push it to the launchpad and test it to realize that I\'d installed some of the hinges upside-down.

If the hinges were asymmetrical, I could be certain that grouped hinges were orienting the way I wanted them to in the VAB.

I noticed a glitch today while trying to build a Serenity or Prometheus style ship with rotating engine pods for VTOL. If you use vectored thrusters or SAS on the rotating engines it will glitch if you have ASAS on the ship. The rotatrons get all out of whack and no longer line up properly (is this the sort of thing people talk about with the Kraken?) and you are unable to move them, it also causes a drop in framerate.

cosmic_isle, this is the problem with what you\'re describing. You have a vectored engine pile with an SAS on top that starts out vertical aligned, ect. Everything should point (mostly) up, and calculating the resulting effect from telling the gimbal or SAS to do something is complicated, but still doable. You then rotate/translate/wobble everything around, and you\'ve got parts pointing in all different directions applying forces in all kinds of vectors. Did I mention you (and any autopilot) still have a single control input to steer everything?

.15 supposedly introduces individual part control, but even with that(assuming code will have access), you\'re left with a massive collection of vectors you need to solve to know what resulting force gets applied for a given control input, and that\'s going to be dynamically changing all the time.

MechJeb and the stock ASAS basically work the same way, they fly the ship just like you do, by moving the virtual stick. A dynamic omniscient flight computer that controls each part individually is both a CPU murderer, and probably way, way, way too much unpaid work to expect from any sane modder.