After several hundred hours, I finally put a Kerbal on the Mun.

jarmenia

Nice job :) My first kerbal on the moon was after 37 hours (without mechjeb)

I did this without MechJeb as well. Of course, something did go wrong, I forgot to put a ladder on the lander. Luckily the jetpack was strong enough to get Jeb up to the capsule door.

I didnt do probes in my early days. I didnt know any mods existed. I thought you got to the Mun by flying right towards it. Eventually I learned how to get there, then had to learn what a powered decent was. Good times. It was before steam so I cant say how long it took. But it sure is a good feeling when you get it done!

Congrats! But MY first Mun landing was after 36 hours of play, with one hand tied behind my back and dust in my eyes so I could barely even see. PLUS I had just eaten a bag of tortilla chips with the hottest salsa ever, so my mouth was on fire and I couldn't concentrate. So there.

In all seriousness, congrats.

Trust me, the hours are worth it. I'll tell you this, I'm at 700+ hours, and have landed on Mun, Minmus, Duna, Laythe. That's kinda it. And in the last 400 hours I've only been to the Mun and Minmus. I like adventure, but I like safety too. haha

Learning curves are cool. I've landed dozens of kerbals on the Mun, and still occasionally botch the landing, especially when mission sites aren't on level terrain.

However, with career restrictions getting tighter and tighter, I've been going with lighter and lighter landers. I finally botched a landing on Minmus with a lander so light (funds being way harder to acquire than science) that even after falling over I was able to just retract the legs, spin rightside up and then put the landing legs back out. Now I'm tempted to drop an extra reaction wheel on there and see if I can repeat the trick on the Mun!

Can't remember when I first origionally landed on the moon but I think it was within 15-40 hours counting the time in the demo. What I do recall is that my first landing attempt went perfectly! However I didn't quite know how to return effectively and got jeb stuck in the weirdest ever orbit. After many failed rescue attempts (couldn't rendezvous as a noob and had to abort each attempt) I eventually just downloaded mechjeb and had it do the hard work for me. I also recall that I broke kerbins SOI before I ever got into a kerbin orbit in the demo... I still remember how to build that craft.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.