[1.4.*] [2.5.3] (2018-04-06) UbioZur Welding Ltd. Continued

girka2k

Hello,

I have just a simple and possibly stupid question :

So, with this mod I build my lifter for 100t for example, then wield all the parts together, then save it (like subassembly, but making it 1 whole part) and then when I want to lift 100t part the total part count will be payload+1 ?

Or simply wield together my station modules, so core + 6 module station will be 7 parts instead of 150 ?

This will add to loading time, but will help with fps later ?

more or less yes...

but I wouldn't go that far.

leave the engines out of your weld.

means: top: payload, connected by either a stack decoupler or dockingport to your lifter. the lifter is one part (all tanks and structural elements together). and then the engines as a few parts.

you could easily bring a 1000t ssto (since you can't get rid of stages) below 30 parts, without any weirdnesses with the rocket engines.

Im attempting to weld a part with multiple texture options (like the B9 structural panels where you can right click on it and select "next/previous version). When I weld it, however, the part loads fine but the textures will rapidly flick through the different options. Is there a way of telling the mod to only use the texture that you have selected?

Thanks

In general, things with multiple texture options, or other special right-click options (like picking fuel types) -- are non-weldable.

So, with this mod I build my lifter for 100t for example, then wield all the parts together, then save it (like subassembly, but making it 1 whole part) and then when I want to lift 100t part the total part count will be payload+1 ?

Or simply wield together my station modules, so core + 6 module station will be 7 parts instead of 150 ?

You could definitely weld together the fuel tanks, plus linear RCS ports, plus RCS tanks, plus standard reaction wheels into a single piece. But you'll want to avoid things like:

- Engines

- Radial fins

- Multi-port RCS thrusters

- Anything with an animation

Creating station cores works very well. A common design for me is a Hitchhiker module in the geographic center, then 4k batteries, 250cm reaction wheels, 250cm RCS or fuel tanks, plus TAC Life Support supply containers, plus Kibbal storage, plus some BZ radial connectors along with 125-250 adapter plates to give me a few radial 250cm attachment nodes. Maybe with linear RCS ports on the ends (although 2 or 4 reaction wheels works just fine).

Note:

When welding, use a second copy of KSP and make sure to install the exception detection mod. Create the weld, quit out of KSP, then immediately come back in and attempt to use the piece to build a new vessel. If there is any wierdness (like graphical glitches when you preview the part by putting the mouse over the item) or if you got an exception while doing the weld -- then what you have is not going to weld nicely and should be deleted and re-created differently.

more or less yes...

but I wouldn't go that far.

leave the engines out of your weld.

means: top: payload, connected by either a stack decoupler or dockingport to your lifter. the lifter is one part (all tanks and structural elements together). and then the engines as a few parts.

you could easily bring a 1000t ssto (since you can't get rid of stages) below 30 parts, without any weirdnesses with the rocket engines.

Thanks. Downloading !

You could definitely weld together the fuel tanks, plus linear RCS ports, plus RCS tanks

Be careful if using Fuel Tanks+. They are great, but the parts have an automatic shroud that closes around a part when added to the tank. I have found that welding works and in the VAB you can add parts, but when you launch, all the parts fall off. If I take the tank's auto shroud component out of the .cfg file, welding works great. I've avoided welding the tanks at the moment until I can learn how to delete things from a part file with ModuleManager.

the IR-parts have special functions, and you should be careful with that.

regarding rcs-ports. I haven't tried it yet, but since the OP states that it is possible to weld one rcs-unit (multiport) into the weld, I'd take a look at the 2,5m octagonal rcs tank from roverdudes transportation mod.

that thing has a probe core, sas, rcs-tank and 4 4-port rcs thrusters. and since it is just one part from the beginning, it shouldn't violate the one rcs-port rule (because it's practically hand-welded).

I have actually had good luck welding multiple 4-way RCS blocks in my welds. I found in the end it depended more upon what modules were present in the exported part .cfg file (and in what order!), especially regarding engines. I had to do quite a bit of manual editing in order to get some of the stuff working properly. A couple of duplicated transform names in the models used in the parts, and everything will go sideways fast. So, to some extent, it depends upon the specific parts being welded (e.g. Poodle engine works, LV-N Atomic motor does not, or would not for me). I'll try and get a list of the engines that I have successfully used in welds, and the steps necessary to get them working.

Regarding other 'special' parts; many can be used if special care is taken and/or the config file is edited after the weld is done. E.G. parts that use the FS texture and mesh switches; these -can- be used, but you need to manually edit the config to specify the -single- texture/mesh that should be used. Again, it mostly comes down to what -modules- are present in the parts, and the specific transform names that they use.

I have a lander module that is..well.. an entire lander, in one piece. Docking port, lights, RCS-4-way x 4, I-beams and flat adapters for landing legs, engine, antenna, and science bits. The right-click menu is huge. Will try and get a pic of it. I also have a freighter core that is a single welded piece; tanks, reactors, engine, rcs, sas, docking port, and light. So... some of this stuff -can- work, with a little bit of persistence and experimentation.

Stations and bases too. Have quite a few -really- large welded parts that I use to put together stations and bases. What used to be 150+ parts is now <20 for most of my installations (and most of that is docking ports, lights, and solar panels; stuff that could not be welded in the quantities used).

Anyhow... just thought I should add that this is an awesome add-on; without it I probably would have succumbed to part number overload long ago and quit playing due to lag.

I don't suppose anyone would be able to assist me with getting huge welded pieces to float? It appear that welded parts aren't having their buoyancy calculated correctly based off their new physical size or something? So now they weigh 10, 100, or more times what they used to, but are still only as buoyant as the original part or one of the parts, or something? I'm not sure exactly, but trying to make floating bases even though they are merged out of empty fuel tanks, which should easily float, they sink like a rock even after drastically reducing their weight. (which I don't want to do because I don't want to really be cheating by merging)

Still trying to come up with a solution to this problem if anyone has an idea?

A shot in the dark, but maybe see if this might help?

Better Buoyancy

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/105094

Have tried it, if anything it was worse. No better for sure. Even artificially lowering it's mas to 10% or less of it's original value doesn't work (not to mention feels cheaty) - though it does at least let me add a reasonable number of floats to it. The problem feels like the volume of all the models merged together isn't properly used for buoyancy calculations. (Maybe it's just using the 1st model?) That's what it feels like anyways

Some of the as-promised pics:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

These all have welded stuff in them, most have RCS/docking ports/engines... see the captions for details...

Will still try and come up with the steps to get engines working; spent a few hours figuring it out... but it was a month or so ago, and I don't remember off the top of my head what exactly I had to do (other than it was a ton of part .cfg editing to get them working). Figure someone else will likely find the information handy.

Not sure if mentioned before but the structural wings are also moody with this mod.

Left it's how it's supposed to look and right is the welded part

Untitled_4.jpg

Edit: Interestingly, a few hours ago I welded a part with structural wings included and it came out fine but now they come out all weird.

Edited by DauntingFlyer

Got a small bug report :

Welding multiple MK2 crew cabins together ends up in having no control over the cabin lights except for the first part.

The other ones do not toggle lights and are always off.

The cfg File:

PART{
name = weldedpart
module = Part
author = UbioZurWeldingLtd
rescaleFactor = 1
PhysicsSignificance = -1
node_stack_topmk2CrewCabin0 = 0,5.25889,-3.84899,0,1,0,1
node_stack_bottommk2CrewCabin8 = 0,-0.69862,6.48162,0,-0.5,-0.86603,1
node_attach = 0,0,0,0,0,0,0
CrewCapacity = 36
TechRequired = advAerodynamics
entryCost = 108000
cost = 37800
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
title = My welded part
manufacturer = UbioZur Welding Ltd
description = Warranty void during re-entry.
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0,0,0
mass = 18
dragModelType = override
maximum_drag = 0.19961
minimum_drag = 0.29941
angularDrag = 1.99609
crashTolerance = 6
breakingForce = 200
breakingTorque = 200
maxTemp = 3400
fuelCrossFeed = True
MODEL
{
model = Squad/SPP/Mk2CrewCabin/model
position = 0,4.32139,-3.84899
scale = 1,1,1
rotation = 0,0,0
}
MODEL
{
position = 0,2.67754,-3.63569
scale = 1,1,1
rotation = 345,1E-05,-1E-05
}
MODEL
{
position = 0,1.14601,-3.00223
scale = 1,1,1
rotation = 330,1E-05,0
}
MODEL
{
position = 0,-0.16899,-1.99361
scale = 1,1,1
rotation = 315.0001,0,1E-05
}
MODEL
{
position = 0,-1.17662,-0.67813
scale = 1,1,1
rotation = 300.0001,360,4E-05
}
MODEL
{
position = 0,-1.80809,0.8537
scale = 1,1,1
rotation = 285,0,1E-05
}
MODEL
{
position = 0,-2.02258,2.49674
scale = 1,1,1
rotation = 270,0,0
}
MODEL
{
position = 0,-1.80129,4.13847
scale = 1,1,1
rotation = 284.9999,180,180
}
MODEL
{
position = 0,-1.16737,5.66972
scale = 1,1,1
rotation = 299.9999,180,180
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleScienceExperiment
experimentID = crewReport
experimentActionName = Crew Report
resetActionName = Discard Crew Report
reviewActionName = Review Report
useStaging = False
useActionGroups = True
hideUIwhenUnavailable = True
rerunnable = True
xmitDataScalar = 1
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleScienceContainer
reviewActionName = Review Stored Data
storeActionName = Store Experiments
evaOnlyStorage = True
storageRange = 2
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
animationName = CrewCabinLight
actionGUIName = Toggle Lights
startEventGUIName = Lights On
endEventGUIName = Lights Off
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleLiftingSurface
deflectionLiftCoeff = 2.7
dragAtMaxAoA = 1.35
dragAtMinAoA = 0.9
}
MODULE
{
name = CollisionFX
scrapeSparks = True
collisionSound = CollisionFX/Sounds/Bang1
scrapeSound = CollisionFX/Sounds/GroundSkid
sparkSound = CollisionFX/Sounds/SparkSqueal
}
}

Hello hello! I have a question about KSP which could be possibly linked to your welding mod (Which is absolutely amazing and my up coming cinematic would be completely impossible without it). I am trying to find a way to remove the green highlight glow on parts when you hover over them. Is there a way within KSP to remove the highlight glow? I'm assuming you would know how to do so if there is a way as when welding it highlights everything you choose to weld in pink, meaning you've worked with similar properties in the past.

Got a small bug report :

Welding multiple MK2 crew cabins together ends up in having no control over the cabin lights except for the first part.

The other ones do not toggle lights and are always off.

That is a known issue with part welding (see the first page). You cannot use more than 1 part with the same special animation based function; e.g. you cannot use two crew cabins with lighting, or two of the same transmitter, or two landing legs. This is due to animation naming and referencing; both special functions have the same animation name and the part will activate only one sub-part with the animation, likely the first one it comes across in the vessel. I don't believe there is anything that can be done to fix this on the add-on side of things; multi-animation/module support would have to be built in by Squad.

First of all, I must apologize for my the long absence. Three months is really a little too much.

Now I hope that in the near future I will go back to support of the mod.

Bad news is, I fear that it will take some time, to make this mod compatible with KSP 1.0

welcome back.

I really miss that mod, because everything that brings my partcount below 250 is very very welcome. :)

did they really change that much within ksp? from what I understand, the only real problem could be the new heat-system, and that parts now have a thermal mass aswell. but since welds are usually larger than single parts, their thermal mass is higher, and therefore they can withstand more thermal energy without getting too hot.