[1.4.*] [2.5.3] (2018-04-06) UbioZur Welding Ltd. Continued

girka2k

1 hour ago, Kerbal101 said:

@Alewx Correct, but stuff that moves or throws lights has problems welding anyway, doesn't it? The positive side is that there'll be "true" :rolleyes: welding, easier description of don'ts ("don't weld moving parts") and a massive performance bonus. :)

But that is also a lot more difficult and nothing to be done at a single weekend.
I'm already not sure that it is possible to convert the live models in the Hangar into a proper file that ksp will be able to load.

On 10/6/2017 at 1:30 AM, Alewx said:

When you read the first page with the Information about the mod, I'm sure You saw this:

All the other things you are asking for are modifications of the partfile.

Yes, I did. I might have to make it clearer. How do I use the mod's methods in my own addon to combine a few parts and poof I have an engine?

50 minutes ago, bananasrawesome said:

Yes, I did. I might have to make it clearer. How do I use the mod's methods in my own addon to combine a few parts and poof I have an engine?

:D you have to add it as a reference to your dll for compiling it, only then you can Access it and use the public methods.

Which IDE do you use?

On 10/10/2017 at 3:31 PM, Alewx said:

:D you have to add it as a reference to your dll for compiling it, only then you can Access it and use the public methods.

Which IDE do you use?

Visual Studio I think...? Been a while.

There's no documentation for the mod?

Edited by bananasrawesome

On ‎13‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 3:07 PM, bananasrawesome said:

Visual Studio I think...? Been a while.

There's no documentation for the mod?

No because there never was any demand, and it is not that popular.

20 hours ago, Kerbal101 said:

@Alewx For some weird reason I didn't get notification of your response. So, what I meant was - I found a possibility to push the horizons higher, but .. its not really necessary. It would be awesome, but not really necessary.

Something like that. M83q2jo.gif

And how did you manage to rise that?

On ‎16‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 1:32 PM, bananasrawesome said:

Oh well. Glad the source is available.

Otherwise there would be no mod :D
It is a requirement for the mods to be posted.

OK, I have a slight of a bug here: I've welded a structure of over 250 parts, but now the structure seems to behave strangely, it has 12 wheels, but when I launch it, it'll be spawned 12 metres above the runway, and then after easing of the physics, the car flips over and lands on its roof, so one time I managed it to get on the ground again, but then when the wheels touch the gound, it flies away at over 40 m/s! So once I tried to spawn the car upside down, and it did'nt flip, so it must be the wheels.

Is it a common bug if you weld together wheels, if so do you have any plans to fix it?

Oh and btw, I would know if it's possible to take away some parts from the welded structure, for otherwise I'll have to spend 5 more hours to make a copy without the parts I will remove.

Edited by hanhan658

On ‎24‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 11:08 PM, hanhan658 said:

OK, I have a slight of a bug here: I've welded a structure of over 250 parts, but now the structure seems to behave strangely, it has 12 wheels, but when I launch it, it'll be spawned 12 metres above the runway, and then after easing of the physics, the car flips over and lands on its roof, so one time I managed it to get on the ground again, but then when the wheels touch the gound, it flies away at over 40 m/s! So once I tried to spawn the car upside down, and it did'nt flip, so it must be the wheels.

Is it a common bug if you weld together wheels, if so do you have any plans to fix it?

Oh and btw, I would know if it's possible to take away some parts from the welded structure, for otherwise I'll have to spend 5 more hours to make a copy without the parts I will remove.

Ok I have to add wheels to the list of "do not do this".

If you just want to remove the parts from the weldment, then just go into the file and look for the models you can remove them or just comment them out with //
Didn't you save the structure as a preweldment craft file?

If the wheels are just like the engines, then no no plans not by me. That would be above my league.

19 hours ago, snkiz said:

@Alewx Just an FYI got a update notification from AVC, but the release isn't updated. I see you did the recompile, did you forget to push the update?

Kind of, it is preped, but only recompiled no bug fixes. there are still Problems with the IVA. but didn't find a solution for it so far that I why i just pushed the recompile.

But you are right should get a release out.

Update to UbioWeld Continued 2.5.2

• Recompiled for KSP 1.3.1

Download version 2.5.2 for KSP 1.3.1

Edited by Alewx
Version release

2 hours ago, Alewx said:

Kind of, it is preped, but only recompiled no bug fixes. there are still Problems with the IVA. but didn't find a solution for it so far that I why i just pushed the recompile.

But you are right should get a release out.

Update to UbioWeld Continued 2.5.2

• Recompiled for KSP 1.3.1

Download version 2.5.2 for KSP 1.3.1

Cool, I only brought it up because seeing updates I don't have brings out my OCD. It worked alright anyhow. Hate grabbing sources. Could your IVA problem be similar to the COL issues? I figured out that I can "fix" the part file after the fact. change some numbers, reload, check, repeat as necessary. Actually I found can fix a lot of bugs with created parts that way, animation issues, paint issues, mesh swap, etc... but it is tedious

Edited by snkiz

40 minutes ago, snkiz said:

Cool, I only brought it up because seeing updates I don't have brings out my OCD. It worked alright anyhow. Hate grabbing sources. Could your IVA problem be similar to the COL issues? I figured out that I can "fix" the part file after the fact. change some numbers, reload, check, repeat as necessary. Actually I found can fix a lot of bugs with created parts that way, animation issues, paint issues, mesh swap, etc... but it is tedious

Hmm no CoL is another thing, the problem with IVA is rotation with quartnion and vectors.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that welding multiples of certain parts together is not a smart move - multiple lights, legs, etc. Does anybody know if this extends to merging items like batteries?

I merged a stack of batteries into a group with 8000 V of charge, but it's not appearing in the file list even after reload. It is definitely generating, since it's listed in the gamedata/ubio(something)/parts folder. I also know the mod is working correctly, 'cause my one other weldment (a resized antenna and some trusses) has appeared properly. I'm just trying to work out if I'm doing a stupid, or it's a bug and I should gather the info for a proper bug report.

14 hours ago, Niccolo said:

I know that welding multiples of certain parts together is not a smart move - multiple lights, legs, etc. Does anybody know if this extends to merging items like batteries?

I merged a stack of batteries into a group with 8000 V of charge, but it's not appearing in the file list even after reload. It is definitely generating, since it's listed in the gamedata/ubio(something)/parts folder. I also know the mod is working correctly, 'cause my one other weldment (a resized antenna and some trusses) has appeared properly. I'm just trying to work out if I'm doing a stupid, or it's a bug and I should gather the info for a proper bug report.

Welding mutliple batteries, never really was a problem, does your part have more than 2 resources?

22 hours ago, Niccolo said:

Tanks (e.g. batteries, simple mono-prop or LF/Ox tanks) work fine.

However, if all you want is a bigger battery, welding is not the complete answer.  Sometimes, it's better to take an existing part and clone it with Module Manager and add the resources that you want.

Examples:

Here is an 8k battery made out of a pair of 1k batteries and a fuel tank.  The resulting part config file was edited to give me what I wanted.

This, on the other hand, is an example of taking an existing part, cloning it, then adding resources / cost / mass.  It is all done using Module Manager.

Things with fuel switchers / texture switchers do not work well with welding.

3 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

Tanks (e.g. batteries, simple mono-prop or LF/Ox tanks) work fine.

However, if all you want is a bigger battery, welding is not the complete answer.  Sometimes, it's better to take an existing part and clone it with Module Manager and add the resources that you want.

Examples:

Here is an 8k battery made out of a pair of 1k batteries and a fuel tank.  The resulting part config file was edited to give me what I wanted.

This, on the other hand, is an example of taking an existing part, cloning it, then adding resources / cost / mass.  It is all done using Module Manager.

Things with fuel switchers / texture switchers do not work well with welding.

Hrm, that first config file looks pretty similar to the part file for my welded 8K battery. Except, of course, mine defines 10x800V batteries duct-taped together instead. It'd appear that the weldment is forming correctly...?

11 hours ago, Alewx said:

Welding mutliple batteries, never really was a problem, does your part have more than 2 resources?

I don't think so. I'll have to double-check when I get home, but I'm almost positive that the batteries are only batteries. Unless it's something weird that's crept in from another mod. When I get home from work, I'll take a closer look at the CFG file.

18 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

Things with fuel switchers / texture switchers do not work well with welding

I can't Keep up with everything.

15 hours ago, Niccolo said:

I don't think so. I'll have to double-check when I get home, but I'm almost positive that the batteries are only batteries. Unless it's something weird that's crept in from another mod. When I get home from work, I'll take a closer look at the CFG file.

Best is the list of mods that are included and a pre and post welding file.

3 hours ago, Alewx said:

I can't Keep up with everything.

That's not meant as a slight against you at all.  Welding works very well and is a wonderful tool.

These days I mostly use it to create structural pieces (because I have no 3D design skills), then modify the resulting file to fine tune things like cost, storage capacity, mass.

I have double-checked , and it definitely just has electric charge as a resource.

6 hours ago, Alewx said:

Best is the list of mods that are included and a pre and post welding file.

Not sure what exactly you mean by a pre and post welding file... May I ask which file in particular? I'm also still trying to work out the source mod for the piece... Again, I'll update when I get home.

Thanks for your patience in helping me with this, guys, and definitely thanks to Alewx for what is otherwise an awesome mod!

7 hours ago, Niccolo said:

I have double-checked , and it definitely just has electric charge as a resource.

Not sure what exactly you mean by a pre and post welding file... May I ask which file in particular? I'm also still trying to work out the source mod for the piece... Again, I'll update when I get home.

Thanks for your patience in helping me with this, guys, and definitely thanks to Alewx for what is otherwise an awesome mod!

I mean, the craft file of the thing that will be welded, and the resulting weldment file in the mods part folder.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

Can i remove original parts from the game? or are they required for the welded part to work

You need the original because the welded part references the original model and mostly just says "treat these 27 pre-defined things as one physical object". Welding is amazing for saving fps, not really helpful for memory (doesn't eat more memory, but can't be used to reduce it, afaik).