[1.4.*] [2.5.3] (2018-04-06) UbioZur Welding Ltd. Continued

girka2k

8 hours ago, COL.R.Neville said:

yeah i finally found it in c:windows\system32\gamedata....

it used to write to the location where ksp was. 

are you lookin for a registry entry i can add or env variable or something. 

That is strange because normally the game should already not allow for anything outside of the ksp Folder.

A lot of little things changed on 1.4 series. Some, obviously, are due the Unity version update. But some others, I wonder if the Mission Builder was the reason.

I'm trying to weld some parts from Stockalike Station Parts Redux but I get some missing textures and sometimes no textures showing. Does anyone else have this problem? I can post a screenshot to show you what I mean when I get home tonight. 

On 4/17/2018 at 7:34 AM, I3laze said:

I'm trying to weld some parts from Stockalike Station Parts Redux but I get some missing textures and sometimes no textures showing. Does anyone else have this problem? I can post a screenshot to show you what I mean when I get home tonight. 

yeah they use b9part switch to change the models and textures. what you have to do is what i was showing somebody earlier and just pick the ONE you want to use and list the model and texture in the config. 

MAN I HATE THIS MERGING REPLIES BS> EACH OF THESE ARE SEPARATE TOPICS. ONE IS ANSWER TO SOMEBODY ELSES PROBLEM AND THE OTHER IS A PROBLEM I AM HAVING. 

is this what controls the effects etc of multiple instances of an engine? 

i have these two ion engines but only the right side glows like it supposed to. pretty sure its index two in the list. it had engineGLow in there instead of enginelighteffect i tried changing to see if that would work but doesnt. 

where does the debug info goto? 

MODULE
    {
        name = WeldedMeshSwitch
        objectIndicies = 1; 2
        objects = EngineLightEffect,thrustTransform,fxTransform,ionXenon-0625-2; EngineLightEffect,thrustTransform,fxTransform,ionXenon-0625-2
        advancedDebug = True
        destroyUnusedParts = True
    }

Edited by COL.R.Neville

On ‎17‎.‎04‎.‎2018 at 2:34 PM, I3laze said:

Ah yeah, that is something i will get on to, once i find the time. Nertea's mods are some of my favourites.

i need some assistance...

i was trying to use the welder. 
ubio weld = latest version
ksp = latest version

what i did:
i created a craft
saved it to vab/ship
whenever i am trying to click the icon, nothing happens. no menu or anything pops up.

please help

12 hours ago, anzei19 said:

i need some assistance...

i was trying to use the welder. 
ubio weld = latest version
ksp = latest version

what i did:
i created a craft
saved it to vab/ship
whenever i am trying to click the icon, nothing happens. no menu or anything pops up.

please help

log file please.

• 1 month later...

In the known limitations section it says not to wield more then one science experiment together. I am using Station Parts Expansion Redux, and most of its pieces have a crew report experiment on them, though they are not identical pieces. If I were to wield them together, what would happen? Would only one work, or none, or worse?

this mod destroyed my save file :( after attaching a welded part to my station im no longer able interact with anything in the map screen, and none of the options in the ESC menu work accept for settings. 

the welded part is highlighted in green :(

Ir0Kzif.png
l7G37ia.png

the persistant saved right after i docked the welded part and the lifter to the science lab, if i exit the game and reload, then go to the tracking station and select the ship the menu's work.

but if i detach the lifter and put the welded part in its final position(bottom of the science lab, flipped 180 and attached with construction ports) then remove the extra bits(batteries, rcs) using KIS the game no longer lets me go back to the tracking station, space center, or  switch craft using the map screen.

EDIT just tried loading the save and detaching the whole part from the ship, the menu also becomes broken.
mod version 2.5.1 ksp version1.3

DOUBLE EDIT, well i got it to work through alot of trial and error.
it seemed if i disconnected parts in a specific order and tried the ESC menu after every decoupling,  or coupling, i would have to check to see if the menu worked, if it did i would quicksave, if it didnt i would quickload and try a different part.
any idea why this happened? kind of makes me afraid to rely on this mod for building stuff incase i forget to quicksave and ruin my career.

Edited by putnamto

11 hours ago, putnamto said:

DOUBLE EDIT, well i got it to work through alot of trial and error.
it seemed if i disconnected parts in a specific order and tried the ESC menu after every decoupling,  or coupling, i would have to check to see if the menu worked, if it did i would quicksave, if it didnt i would quickload and try a different part.
any idea why this happened? kind of makes me afraid to rely on this mod for building stuff incase i forget to quicksave and ruin my career.

It appears to be a Module conflict. When we weld parts, we essentially do:

1. Take all the meshes and "glue" them together (including collisions')
  2. Sum all the masses
  3. Choose what part will propagate the physical limits (heat, stress, etc)
  4. Merge all the Modules data

Some modules doesn't like to be repeated on the same part. For example (and this is a example, I didn't tried that), welding more than a docking port can be a problem if the Docking Module (c# code) didn't was coded to handle multiple docks on the same part.

What were the parts you used to weld the new part?

Edited by Lisias
adding small details

21 hours ago, Lisias said:

It appears to be a Module conflict. When we weld parts, we essentially do:

1. Take all the meshes and "glue" them together (including collisions')
  2. Sum all the masses
  3. Choose what part will propagate the physical limits (heat, stress, etc)
  4. Merge all the Modules data

Some modules doesn't like to be repeated on the same part. For example (and this is a example, I didn't tried that), welding more than a docking port can be a problem if the Docking Module (c# code) didn't was coded to handle multiple docks on the same part.

What were the parts you used to weld the new part?

6 modular girder segments, 1 modular girder adaptor, 1 rockomax brand adapter 02, and an illuminator mk1, im using vens stock revamp if that might cause a conflict.

On 5/30/2018 at 5:42 AM, putnamto said:

6 modular girder segments, 1 modular girder adaptor, 1 rockomax brand adapter 02, and an illuminator mk1, im using vens stock revamp if that might cause a conflict.

I'm currently on a recompile fest on both my boxes (MacPorts and Gentoo upgrade. Yeah, I must be masochist). When one of them finishes, I will give it a look.

Poke me tomorrow night nevertheless - just in case I forget this. Again. :-P

Edited by Lisias

7 minutes ago, Lisias said:

I'm currently on a recompile fest on both my boxes (MacPorts and Gentoo upgrade. Yeah, I must be masochist). When one of them finishes, I will give it a look.

Poke me tomorrow night nevertheless - just in case I forget this. Again. :-P

will do.

im begining to think that maybe it may not be the weld thats the problem, it might be the fact that i had 5-10 random parts floating in close range to the station that might be the problem.

I actually have had some strange problems myself. Not really sure if this mod is at fault though since the station I launched into space uses 3 different mods.

I built a large (unmanned )skycrane  and welded it together (only welded the structure together, added the docking ports[from Konstruction mod], lights etc after) and I made a large space station out of welded parts, but again was careful not to use docking ports, lights, solar etc in the welds themselves. I launched it, made it into orbit, detached the skycrane and the station, with 6+ kerbals in it suddenly became debris that I am unable to interact with. I can set the ports on it as a target for my skycrane but they refuse to dock with each other again. I thought, maybe I shouldn't have welded the command pod to a habitation ring, so I tried again without using that 1 piece, just using the parts separately, but made no difference. Then I thought, maybe the ports are the problem so I quickly made a small 'tugboat/ferry' type piece and launched it hoping to connect to the station and make it usable again and for the first time since buying this game a few years ago I CTDed, as I got close to the station. Not really sure where to go from here, maybe build the whole thing again without weldments and see if it works.

Edit - I tested the docking ports and they seem to work fine, so I launched my second station attempt again, this time first manually re-rooting the entire thing to the command pod and this time when I separated it worked like it was supposed to. I have never used skycranes before because they were too wobbly when built to the sizes I needed, so I am not sure if its normal but I guess I can't use the skycrane as the initial control point with a command pod attached. I have to use the command pod first so when I separate in orbit it doesn't get assigned as debris? Either way this mod is working for me so far, never would have made that skycrane fly without it. :D

Edited by Alaratt
info update

On 5/31/2018 at 8:10 PM, putnamto said:

will do.

im begining to think that maybe it may not be the weld thats the problem, it might be the fact that i had 5-10 random parts floating in close range to the station that might be the problem.

ive added three more parts to the station of similar size, havent had the issue return. thanks anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a small question. Is it possible to weld wing parts into one wing? For sure without any elevons and etc. 

I've tried to weld it and there are some strange behaviour with center of lift in comparison with unwelded part. 

And how to fix attachment surface of welded part from the center to the border as it should be?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2018 at 9:10 AM, invultri said:

Hello,

I welded some tanks together but I notice that the collider is kinda goofy, is this working as expected ?

ZNBFTLVs.png

Weird enough… Yes. :P 

Colliders are expensive features on KSP, and (at least is what I understood from the code) the welding tries to create a new collider that would be a compromise between the area took by the parts and efficiency.

Obviously, such heuristics are prone to failure. 

On 6/1/2018 at 4:13 PM, Nicky21 said:

More and more mods are starting to use B9 part switch. This is not compatible with welding, unfortunately. Is there any progress to make the Welding mod compatible with b9 ?

This happens because IFS knows squat about (new) custom welded parts, and the Welding Tool by itself knows squat about IFS' module data. They basically ignore each other.

This appears to be a interesting feature to have - I agree, IFS is essentially omnipresent on my setups.

On 6/12/2018 at 3:58 AM, Pipochka said:

There's a small question. Is it possible to weld wing parts into one wing? For sure without any elevons and etc. 

I've tried to weld it and there are some strange behaviour with center of lift in comparison with unwelded part. 

I have this problem myself, and it's the reason I'm trying to fix some issues on a personal (non official) fork. There're some options to trim the CoM and the weight of the new part, did you tried that?

On 6/12/2018 at 3:58 AM, Pipochka said:

And how to fix attachment surface of welded part from the center to the border as it should be?

Not sure if I understood. Can you make a screen shot of the problem?

On 6/3/2018 at 6:21 PM, A FAT KERBAL said:

Is it compatible with BD ARMORY?

It's the same problem as IFS. See above.

Edited by Lisias
Typos

I have a small request, when calculating the entry price of the weldment can you only tally up the entrycost of each unique part present? I now end up with parts that have their entry cost set to 200k and above.

Not a biggy since i need to edit the cfg anyway to sort out the modules.

Hey guys ... i havent used this mod in a long time, i was wondering do i still need to restart the game every time i weld a part?...of if someone has time can u guys give current directions on how to use this mod If anything has changed from OP.  Thank you for your time.