[1.4.*] [2.5.3] (2018-04-06) UbioZur Welding Ltd. Continued

girka2k

On 4/17/2018 at 7:34 AM, I3laze said:

I'm trying to weld some parts from Stockalike Station Parts Redux but I get some missing textures and sometimes no textures showing. Does anyone else have this problem? I can post a screenshot to show you what I mean when I get home tonight. 

Yep, and just lots of trial and error hand fixing... but end product (IMHO) can be worth it.

On 4/19/2018 at 2:58 PM, Alewx said:

Ah yeah, that is something i will get on to, once i find the time. Nertea's mods are some of my favourites.

Agree.

On 6/28/2018 at 5:15 PM, mechanicH said:

Hey guys ... i havent used this mod in a long time, i was wondering do i still need to restart the game every time i weld a part?...of if someone has time can u guys give current directions on how to use this mod If anything has changed from OP.  Thank you for your time. 

There is an option to 'reload database' which is also available from the debug menu. It seems to work, but can take (IMHO) longer than restarting the game. But do you need to restart the game after each weld, no. To answer other question  - OP seems to still be accurate.

Love this mod! Thanks for maintaining it.

Just wish there was a way to (once database refreshed/reloaded) to use it to 'play' with the placement of the parts (kind of like nodehelper, but for welded parts). When fixing welded parts with SSPX often have 'gaps' where the B9 parts are, so have to slide parts around (x,y,z) to get them looking right. So call it an 'edit' function. 

Also, would love a way to correct initial part orientation (rotation) - so that the weld remembers the final orientation of the part, not its unplaced/original orientation.

I have also found a way to weld multiple lights together and have them work. One caveat, all on or all off (one control). Just have to remember how I did it now.

Again, love this mod!

On 6/28/2018 at 6:15 PM, mechanicH said:

Hey guys ... i havent used this mod in a long time, i was wondering do i still need to restart the game every time i weld a part?...of if someone has time can u guys give current directions on how to use this mod If anything has changed from OP.  Thank you for your time. 

I usually create a copy of my KSP directory with just UbioZur Welding installed along with just the part mod (if non-stock) that I want to weld.  It cuts down loading time drastically.  Once I have the part finalized and I'm happy with it, I'll copy it over to my primary play directory.

• 2 months later...

Edit:

I have a few feature requests that I was wondering if possible to implement in a future release maybe?? Was hoping for feedback on if its even pheasable.

Ive made a TripleHex station in the editor. But currently the outer ring cannot be fully enclosed without the use of konstrucion docking ports or the recoupler mod on launch. Ive built it from the inside outwards in symmetry so it currently has 3 sections that do not attach together and thus..needs 3 docking maneuvers to complete the ring/create the structural integrity im looking for. It can certainly contain only 1 loose end..but that messes with my ocd a bit ;). Anyways..I was wondering if its possible to integrate some of the recoupler mod code into this mod. So if we have a structure that has touching ends with nodes it'll weld them together making perfectly enclosed rings/geometric shapes. Im sure keeping recoupler installed would do this in flight still..but having that option here would eliminate the need for that mod per situ basis. I personally would adore such a feature.

Thoughts?

My other request is more simple I think. With an added option to delete specific modules from the welded part before actually welding it. Currently if I have mods that add modules to say..a fuel tank. This mod adds every module avaliable to the finished weld based off the parts originally being used. Since its my understanding that certain modules can only be applied once/can be very buggy in outcome, being able to delete em from the UI would be way easier than going into the cfg and doing it that way. Taking my hex station as an example its literally just fuel tanks and I dont want any modules on it, just fuel and attach nodes. But the mod wants to add a bunch of modules to the part like integrated stack decouplers..usi modules..etc..in some cases i already know some of those modules will turn out buggy or work not as intended on this part so Id like to do without em. And if need be create my own MMpatch to use those modules in a specific manner. Currently to counter this, ive made a completely seperate ksp install without all those mods that add unwanted modules..just to keep my welding more simple and so im not editing cfgs after each weld. If i need a module on a part I want to weld...I install the mod, make the weld and delete it right after and then test it on my main..heavily modded install :)

Thoughts?

Edited by Jesusthebird

• 3 weeks later...

Contrary to the OP, welding multiple science experiments works fine. Animated science experiments can cause problems, and have to be careful when welding more than one of the same type, especially when it has a limited number of runs (Science Jr.), have to fix the file manually.

I've been welding dozens of science experiments over the last months, it's just like adding the experiment modules to a part.

Edited by Zah

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:56 PM, G_Creature said:

I have welded together a truncated icosahedron and went from 100+ parts down to 1, however the lag is still present. What could be causing this?

Nice works,

I think that welding it, doesn't mean the Phys X sees it as "one" I use this more for its strength and uniformity. I have found the "Com" can get shifty depending on which types of parts. you sill have the meshes and collision's so I don't believe you get a reduction in strain of performance.

hope this helps

Jammer-TD

almost forgot,,

Thank You !  By Alewx ---so much for this mod.. Love It.. 

Edited by Jammer-TD

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2018 at 1:54 AM, G_Creature said:

It might explain why it happens, but it doesn't really help fixing it, sorry.

I don't think you fully understood what Jammer-TD was saying...there is no "fix".  Whatever performance gains you enjoy by welding those parts together are exclusively (or at least primarily) physics-related, and pale in comparison to the performance hit you'll suffer by loading a part comprised of 100+ meshes and textures.  You're not creating new models/textures by welding parts together.

Edited by little square dot

I do my welding manually using EditPad and a calculator, so this isn't exactly a mod-related question, but I figured this would be the best place to inquire about welding issues in general.

Does anyone know of a workaround, or whether a workaround is even possible, for the new ModulePartVariants-related texturing issues?  All of my painstakingly created welds using the new-ish Rockomax fuel tank textures are flashing like crazy unless I use ModulePartVariants to restrict myself to one texture per variant, whereas I used to be able to assign the textures to individual models without issue.  This is quite aggravating, as I've spent countless hours manually welding detailed, approximately to-scale versions of all the major launch systems, comprised of hundreds of highly-manipulated stock models and textured through an exhaustive degree of trial and error, but now I seem to be left with the choice of having either monochromatic or perpetually z-fighting launch vehicles, as there aren't any viable alternatives to the Rockomax tank textures.

Cheers.

9 minutes ago, little square dot said:

I do my welding manually using EditPad and a calculator, so this isn't exactly a mod-related question, but I figured this would be the best place to inquire about welding issues in general.

Does anyone know of a workaround, or whether a workaround is even possible, for the new ModulePartVariants-related texturing issues?  All of my painstakingly created welds using the new-ish Rockomax fuel tank textures are flashing like crazy unless I use ModulePartVariants to restrict myself to one texture per variant, whereas I used to be able to assign the textures to individual models without issue.  This is quite aggravating, as I've spent countless hours manually welding detailed, approximately to-scale versions of all the major launch systems, comprised of hundreds of highly-manipulated stock models and textured through an exhaustive degree of trial and error, but now I seem to be left with the choice of having either monochromatic or perpetually z-fighting launch vehicles, as there aren't any viable alternatives to the Rockomax tank textures.

Cheers.

You might try added a line in your weld like 

MODEL
	{
		model = ********/********
        texture = texture name , texture folder path here 
	}

16 minutes ago, Mecripp said:

You might try added a line in your weld like 

MODEL
	{
		model = ********/********
        texture = texture name , texture folder path here 
	}

That's what I used to texture all of my welds...it doesn't work when using the new textures.

I mean, it works insofar as it assigns a texture, but said texture is z-fighting with some unknown texture for whatever reason. 

*edit: I think it has something to do with the new shaders...I wonder if there's a way to assign different textures to individual models within a part using GAMEOBJECTS in ModulePartVariants.

Edited by little square dot

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2018 at 10:43 PM, little square dot said:

Cheers.

I've had the same issue due to the textures. However, I have started using the deprecated Fuel Tanks Plus tanks since they don't have textures associated with them and have several tanks with color. They resize with Tweakscale, so I get some of the splash of color I desire. I have tried it yet, but there are a couple of other mods that have a bunch of tanks in different colors. As long as they don't have the texture switching, should work too.

On 12/22/2018 at 9:43 PM, little square dot said:

How do you do that?  I hope this gets updated for 1.6.1 soon...or does it already work?

On 1/24/2019 at 7:11 PM, traisjames said:

How do you do that?  I hope this gets updated for 1.6.1 soon...or does it already work?

It may work as long you don't use any of the revamped parts, much less the new ones. Last time I checked, it would work only for parts that would run on 1.3.1. (on 1.4.0, new things started to introduced to KSP, so it's theoretically possible that Ubioweld will bork on a 1.4 compatible part)

This mod works for me in 1.2 and 1.3, but not 1.4. When I click the button for it in the SPH, the window doesn't show up. I made my ship hull in 1.4 before realizing this mod wasn't working for me, and I can't get the craft file to load in 1.3 (Input string was not in the correct format). I spent hours tweaking my ship and don't want to have to redo all of that, so I hope there is a way to either figure out why the mod doesn't work for me in 1.4 or make my ship load in 1.3. The save file, my files, and the output_log are in the zip file linked below. The mods needed are: this mod for 1.4, Heisenberg version 2.10 (Hooligan Labs isn't needed), Tweakscale latest version, Module Manager latest version, and my files. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vZkO5tUBSHFhw2GyIBWe2Pf_gttz5UK9/view?usp=sharing

On 12/22/2018 at 9:43 PM, little square dot said:

I do my welding manually using EditPad and a calculator...

How do you do that? If I can't get the mod to work, I might have to try this.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Zah said:

Doesn't work for me in 1.6.1. 

yes since I updated all my mods since my last post. [ I thought it might be from either tweakscale/mm or b9 but I cannot confirm this.. around feb 3rd]

I too cannot get this in any version=continued/continuum to function. the button is there but doesn't popup the window . I see no errors in my logs.unfortunately for me .I had to have surgery on my arm so I cannot play yet or test much. it will be a few days. but I did want to add to this post, as one of the few things I can do lefty.

but I did try several things to validate it wasn't working for me.

Jammer-TD

Edited by Jammer-TD

On 2/20/2019 at 7:13 PM, Jammer-TD said:

I too cannot get this in any version=continued/continuum to function. the button is there but doesn't popup the window . I see no errors in my logs.unfortunately for me .I had to have surgery on my arm so I cannot play yet or test much. it will be a few days. but I did want to add to this post, as one of the few things I can do lefty.

I think the button is working on this fork.

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/UbioWeldContinuum/releases

It's many KSP Versions since I touched this, I don't have the slightest clue how this thing will behave on the new parts and with MH installed. The only thing I know is working by now it's the button. :D

Dependencies: ClickThroughBlocker, ToolbarControl and KSPe. You need to use Module Mananer 3.x, as the 4.x series has internal changes that break Add'Ons trying to use its functionalities the way UbioWeld does.

Known Issues:

1. The last time I used this, I was using 1.4.1 without Making History. Any new part from 1.4.2 and forward (and MH) can or cannot works - anything using ModulePartVariant is expected to bork and inject some nasty NaNs on the gameengine. :)
  2. You need to be using a Module Manager from the 3.x series. UbioWeld will not work on the 4.x series for while

I detected the problem with the MM4, but I didn't tried to understand it in order to fix it. The easy way out would be undo the MM4 change on that specific spot on my personal fork, but that would break expected behaviour - that guys are the reference for MM. So the logical move is to update UbioWeld to cope with the new MM at the same time keeping legacy compatibility to MM3. I will tackle down this sooner or later - probably later. :)

— — — POST EDIT — — — 

The MM4 problem was workarounded on this post.

Edited by Lisias
Post edit

@Lisias Thank you for your time in advance, their can be no rush.. it's just a game. if it helps to know I had been able to use the older version until recent as well, this is where the button at least showed up but didn't function, and it too no longer worked,, ..I only posted this, as I had posted on dec 3rd.. "all is well", then I tried to use it and it had issues. did not want to miss lead anyone

Thanks so much, for all you do/did/ are continuum too do.

Jammer-TD

I have posted logs for your review

http://www.teamdemonic.com/photo/KSP/02-2019/post/ubio/

Edited by Jammer-TD
added link

7 hours ago, Lisias said:
  1. You need to be using a Module Manager from the 3.x series. UbioWeld will not work on the 4.x series for while

I detected the problem with the MM4, but I didn't tried to understand it in order to fix it. The easy way out would be undo the MM4 change on that specific spot on my personal fork, but that would break expected behaviour - that guys are the reference for MM. So the logical move is to update UbioWeld to cope with the new MM at the same time keeping legacy compatibility to MM3. I will tackle down this sooner or later - probably later. :)

Let's say I use an installation with MM3 for just welding and then copied the weld files to an installation with MM4, would that work?

1 hour ago, Zah said:

Let's say I use an installation with MM3 for just welding and then copied the weld files to an installation with MM4, would that work?

well once the part is created it isn't bound by mm. 

so it does work as all of my previous welds as they are just parts. with textures.

mm3 is for the function of the mod. so yes

Jammer-TD