[1.4.*] [2.5.3] (2018-04-06) UbioZur Welding Ltd. Continued

girka2k

12 minutes ago, Jognt said:

Don't mind me. Just randomly reading stuff and I couldn't help but be reminded of this one XKCD when I read your post: https://xkcd.com/1172/

Moving along now.. o/

There's also this one, that is equally read worthy! :)

https://xkcd.com/927/

A bad standard is better than no standard at all, I say. :) 

On 5/26/2019 at 10:40 PM, Kerbal01 said:

I have an issue. 
Issue: mod straight up does not work at all.

KSP version 1.6.1
Weld version: 2.5.3
rest of the documentation as per OPhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/yylcvs72t150ges/Weld issue documentation.zip?dl=0

I want to second this and say that for 1.6.1
The icon for the welding mod does not show up. 

10 hours ago, Kerbal01 said:

In my case the icon shows up, but pressing it does nothing.

Use MM3 for now. "Stock" MM4 is changing some things, and it's better to work this for good once the changes are finished. 

On 6/3/2019 at 1:09 AM, lancefoxcia said:

I want to second this and say that for 1.6.1
The icon for the welding mod does not show up. 

Check the dependencies.

Also check for ADDON BINDER errors while loading DLLs. A bug on Mono screws up an important thing used to locate code, and this bug is triggered when a DLL fails to be loaded for any reason.

Edited by Lisias
moar info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have this mod "sorta" working on my install (KSP v1.7.2).  It does strange things with modded parts, but most of the stock items work with no problem.  Can't use the 'Database AutoReload' as it always misses something.  However, if used carefully it can save tremendously on part counts!  (My habitat ring went from 259 parts down to 85!  (Would have been even less but it's twitchy when welding Planetary Base Modules.)

14 hours ago, Leopardmadcat said:

I have this mod "sorta" working on my install (KSP v1.7.2).  It does strange things with modded parts, but most of the stock items work with no problem.  Can't use the 'Database AutoReload' as it always misses something.  However, if used carefully it can save tremendously on part counts!  (My habitat ring went from 259 parts down to 85!  (Would have been even less but it's twitchy when welding Planetary Base Modules.)

The Database AutoReload doesn't reapply MM patches. It's something I was working on my personal fork when some third-party code changed, breaking some internal code. Currently I'm waiting for that changes to stabilize so I can attack the problem again without risking throwing the work through the Window :) (time is scarce these days, and I still have some debits on TweakScale).

Hey. I’m playing around with manually welding a few parts and was wondering whether anyone knows which values to use. 

As far as I know all I need is the position and rotation of each model in relation to CoM, but the craft file also has values for attPos/attPos0 and attRot/attRot0. 

Are these of importance?

what I’m trying to achieve is to merge a couple of smaller RCS thrusters in specific places on the MH MEMlander so I have one part that has properly balanced RCS. (Best I can do with just MM patches)

Just wondering if there's anyway to disable or stop the animations from playing as every animated parts in my welded craft's just extended itself.

I use the latest version of this mod on KSP 1.7.3 with Breaking Ground and Making History. along with the latest version of the following mods: BDarmory Continued, TweakScale, Throttle Controlled Avionics, HyperEdit, Physics Range Extender, Mouse aimed-flight and Kerbal Engineer Redux

I'm getting the below error when trying to weld parts with version 2.6.0.5 in ksp 1.7.3. Only the dependencies required for the weld mod are installed. I've also tried ksp 1.4.5 and older versions of the mods that were the latest as of May 24th.

[EXC 16:44:25.156] IsolatedStorageException: Could not find a part of the path "D:\__LOCAL\net.lisias.ksp\UbioWeldingLtd\Aero\weldedpart\weldedpart.cfg".

The log is then flooded with StackOverflow exceptions and the game freezes. An empty .cfg file is created at "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\__LOCAL\net.lisias.ksp\UbioWeldingLtd\Aero\weldedpart\weldedpart.cfg".

Edited by w00tguy

7 minutes ago, w00tguy said:

I'm getting the below error when trying to weld parts with version 2.6.0.5 in ksp 1.7.3. Only the dependencies required for the weld mod are installed. I've also tried ksp 1.7.1 and older versions of the mods that were the latest as of May 24th.

[EXC 16:44:25.156] IsolatedStorageException: Could not find a part of the path "D:\__LOCAL\net.lisias.ksp\UbioWeldingLtd\Aero\weldedpart\weldedpart.cfg".

The log is then flooded with StackOverflow exceptions and the game freezes. An empty .cfg file is created at "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\__LOCAL\net.lisias.ksp\UbioWeldingLtd\Aero\weldedpart\weldedpart.cfg".

Without a full log., it's hard to give any advice. All I can say is "works for me". The best I can do is guessing, and since some fellow Kerbonauts reported using the Welding Tool with moderate degrees of success (it works better by welding parts using KSP 1.4 or 1.5, and then copying the parts to the target KSP), my best guest at the moment is that you are using Module Manager 4.

If I'm right, you need to read this post:

TL;DR: You need to use MM3.1.3 with Welding Tool (being it my fork, of the Canonical one on the OP). Welded parts have no problems with MM4, it's a change that happened on MM4 that broke something on the Welding Tool. Since it's usually a better idea to weld parts on KSP 1.4 or 1.5 and then copy them to the desired KSP version, using MM3 for welding does't appears to be more than a nuisance for now.

1URSfMC.png

44 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Without a full log., it's hard to give any advice. All I can say is "works for me". The best I can do is guessing, and since some fellow Kerbonauts reported using the Welding Tool with moderate degrees of success (it works better by welding parts using KSP 1.4 or 1.5, and then copying the parts to the target KSP), my best guest at the moment is that you are using Module Manager 4.

If I'm right, you need to read this post:

TL;DR: You need to use MM3.1.3 with Welding Tool (being it my fork, of the Canonical one on the OP). Welded parts have no problems with MM4, it's a change that happened on MM4 that broke something on the Welding Tool. Since it's usually a better idea to weld parts on KSP 1.4 or 1.5 and then copy them to the desired KSP version, using MM3 for welding does't appears to be more than a nuisance for now.

You guess correct - I'm using your fork of MM4. I've also tried MM3 though with no success, and KSP 1.4 also made no difference. I actually tested the exact same thing shown in your screenshot (left wing of the Albatross). My game freezes after clicking "Save" there.

It's a little confusing knowing exactly what combination of mod versions to install. Could you tell me exactly which versions of the dependencies and KSP you're using? With 5 different mods to install for this there's a lot of guess-and-check and referencing dates on posts to reproduce your "works for me" setup :)

The error messages are different now, but the logs still end in stack overflows:

KSP.log for 1.7.3 using your fork of MMC4: https://w00tguy.no-ip.org/owncloud/index.php/s/iX8LA3S86NUv86C

for 1.4.5: https://w00tguy.no-ip.org/owncloud/index.php/s/wiqAWA7YqCrFZsA/download

Edited by w00tguy

9 hours ago, w00tguy said:

The error messages are different now, but the logs still end in stack overflows:

KSP.log for 1.7.3 using your fork of MMC4: https://w00tguy.no-ip.org/owncloud/index.php/s/iX8LA3S86NUv86C

for 1.4.5: https://w00tguy.no-ip.org/owncloud/index.php/s/wiqAWA7YqCrFZsA/download

There are some mysteries on Life, and this is one of them: how in hell this didn't blew up on my face before? This was an absolutely idiotic mistake of mine made a long time ago. I don't have the slightest idea how this didn't happened to me (or to anyone else) before!

Fixed on 2.6.0.6 release of my personal fork.

6 hours ago, Lisias said:

There are some mysteries on Life, and this is one of them: how in hell this didn't blew up on my face before? This was an absolutely idiotic mistake of mine made a long time ago. I don't have the slightest idea how this didn't happened to me (or to anyone else) before!

Fixed on 2.6.0.6 release of my personal fork.

Awesome, thanks for the fix! (and don't be so hard on yourself!)

However, I have some bad news. While I can now click "Save" without the game freezing, nothing much happens either. I see an empty .cfg in the GameData folder, and the "Could not find a part of the path" errors I initially reported. Clicking save again results in a "do you want overwrite" message box. Clicking OK there also does nothing, and doesn't close the message box.

KSP Log: https://w00tguy.no-ip.org/owncloud/index.php/s/08k18ZzQei7Lcig/download

Edited by w00tguy

29 minutes ago, w00tguy said:

Awesome, thanks for the fix! (and don't be so hard on yourself!)

It's my way to cope with frustration. Venting out helps on that Five Stages of Grief. :)  (and that was idiotic anyway! :D ).

29 minutes ago, w00tguy said:

However, I have some bad news. While I can now click "Save" without the game freezing, nothing much happens either.

That was unexpected. I'm on it.

— — NEWS FROM THE FRONT — — 

I found this exception:

[LOG 09:31:30.126] Autogen thumbnail for D:/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/KSP_x64_Data/../Ships/@thumbs/SPH/Albatross 3.png (Stock) from D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\Ships\SPH\Albatross 3.craft
[ERR 09:31:43.830] [WeldingTool] ERROR: UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd raised Exception System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageException: Could not find a part of the path "D:\__LOCAL\net.lisias.ksp\UbioWeldingLtd\Aero\weldedpart\weldedpart.cfg".
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options) [0x0000
0] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.File.Open (System.String path, FileMode mode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ConfigNode.Save (System.String fileFullName, System.String header) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ConfigNode.Save (System.String fileFullName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd.WriteCfg (System.String pathname) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd.HandleInfoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd.OnInfoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Can you confirm to me if the file D:\__LOCAL\net.lisias.ksp\UbioWeldingLtd\Aero\weldedpart\weldedpart.cfg exists on your disk? If not, to what level of Subdirectories the tool managed to get into? If the file exisits, please delete it and try again and tell me what happened.

There's something brittle on the code. It "Works For Me" (c) 2019 LisiasT, but I'm on MacOS and we can be looking to a Mono's Leaky Abstraction(c) 2002 Joel on Sofware. Or, perhaps, some change on the order in which some internal KSP events are being issued on Windows. Historically, KSP Add'Ons had a hard time coping to concurrency. It may be a new case of this.

Edited by Lisias
News from the front

22 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Can you confirm to me if the file D:\__LOCAL\net.lisias.ksp\UbioWeldingLtd\Aero\weldedpart\weldedpart.cfg exists on your disk? If not, to what level of Subdirectories the tool managed to get into? If the file exisits, please delete it and try again and tell me what happened.

Nothing there, not even the "__LOCAL" directory. This path does exist, but the file is empty:

D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\__LOCAL\net.lisias.ksp\UbioWeldingLtd\Aero\weldedpart\weldedpart.cfg

If I copy D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\__LOCAL to D:\__LOCAL I get a slightly different path in the error message:

D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Aero\weldedpart\weldedpart.cfg

If I then copy GameData/__LOCAL/net.lisias.ksp/UbioWeldingLtd/Aero to GameData/Aero, then... the save works!? I restart the game and I can use the welded part.

Then I try to weld the Fuel tanks on the Albatross, and get another error message with this path:

D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\FuelTank\test\test.cfg

Again, I copy from GameData/__LOCAL/net.lisias.ksp/UbioWeldingLtd/FuelTank to GameData/FuelTank, restart and attempt to weld the fuel tanks again. It works! It's an awkward process, but it works. :D

7 hours ago, w00tguy said:

Again, I copy from GameData/__LOCAL/net.lisias.ksp/UbioWeldingLtd/FuelTank to GameData/FuelTank, restart and attempt to weld the fuel tanks again. It works! It's an awkward process, but it works. :D

#facePalm :sticktongue:

There're something utterly flawed on the initialisation process (where such paths are defined). How in hell this worked for me is a mystery. :P 

Well, I will make some new coffee and take a look on it. I don't have the time to take this AddOn for good (and further develop it) by now, but these little pesky mistakes are something that I want to keep in check. People want to use this (me included) after all!

— — POST EDIT — — 

Well… After finding bugs everywhere (including the coffee maker) but not on that Kraken Poo I call that code :P I remembered that Leaky Abstractions thingy and decided to do a… well… blind guess. There're only two places on that code where such things could go down to the tubes, so I changed both :D . Weirdly, but not unexpectedly, this made no difference on my machine.

I'm doing some quick testings and will publish a new release in the next hour.

— — POST POST EDIT — — 

@w00tguy - I reissued the current releases for UbioWeld and its dependency, KSPe. Please delete what you have and download them again. I don't have the slightest idea if this will do any good for you, however. All I can say is that this still "Works For Me". :)

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSPAPIExtensions/releases

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/UbioWeldContinuum/releases

Edited by Lisias
reissues

It's... different now! I don't have to copy the part folders to the root of GameData, but it's still checking the root of my filesystem:

[EXC 20:34:53.984] IsolatedStorageException: Could not find a part of the path "D:\__LOCAL\net.lisias.ksp\UbioWeldingLtd\Aero\test\test.cfg".

Creating an empty folder at D:\__LOCAL\net.lisias.ksp\UbioWeldingLtd\Aero\test allows me to save the weld, but the part isn't available after restarting.

A valid CFG is saved to the D:\__LOCAL path, and an empty CFG is saved to the GameData\__LOCAL path. If I copy the valid CFG from the D:\__LOCAL path to the GameData\__LOCAL path then I can use the part.

This actually makes it a easier to workaround with an NTFS junction point:

D:\>mklink /J __LOCAL "Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\__LOCAL"
Junction created for __LOCAL <<===>> Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\__LOCAL

That way welds can save/load successfully without having to copy files around.

6 minutes ago, w00tguy said:

It's... different now! I don't have to copy the part folders to the root of GameData, but it's still checking the root of my filesystem:

<CUT by me>

This actually makes it a easier to workaround with an NTFS junction point:

I'm baffled!! :D However, now I have an idea where the problem can be. It's on the KSPe thing. Something is working somewhat differently on your machine, perhaps something on Windows 10, or due you using drive D, or both. Otherwise someone else would had already kicked me in the SAS due this stunt.

Congrats. You opened the very second Issue for KSPe! :)

11 minutes ago, Gleb said:

Hello! You said that MM4 is changing some things and pressing the icon does nothing. I reverted to MM3 and the welding mod works, but what about other mods that use MM4 to work?

They don't use that feature that changed. Apparently they "leaked" the feature by accident, but since that feature is public for about 5 or 6 years, everybody that uses that took it for granted.

Now that I've got a decent sized station up in orbit in my new game, I'm running into a big performance issue again. The station has 224 parts, but when I get within 500m of it, the game slows to a crawl. Just a few FPS. Any sort of time warp makes it perfectly smooth again, so I imagine it's some physics that's slowing things down. What's the expectation on a vanilla game with 224 parts and a good computer?

And of course, this is relevant because it seems that this mod specifically handles this problem. :)

Edited by AmpCat

2 hours ago, AmpCat said:

Now that I've got a decent sized station up in orbit in my new game, I'm running into a big performance issue again. The station has 224 parts, but when I get within 500m of it, the game slows to a crawl. Just a few FPS. Any sort of time warp makes it perfectly smooth again, so I imagine it's some physics that's slowing things down. What's the expectation on a vanilla game with 224 parts and a good computer?

And of course, this is relevant because it seems that this mod specifically handles this problem. :)

"Good" is relative but 200+ parts plus the # of parts on your visiting vessel will usually result in poopy performance due to it calculating all the phZzzz...

This mod used to be a godsend but ever since it's basically been left for vaporware, other mods it used have evolved to the point where you can't use it as-is. Lisias for all his good intent hasn't officially picked this up and has a bunch of other things to do so it's the waiting game or someone goes and learns up what you need to learn to rewrite this thing. I don't play this enough anymore to go and learn the things and Lisias' fork reminds me of an old Nintendo where you had to lick the carts, blow in them, tickle the console, promise your first born to Nintendo, etc. to get it to work. :P

I'm expecting KSP 2 before I expect this to be back in working form. :O

1 hour ago, ChinaLakeGuy said:

I'm expecting KSP 2 before I expect this to be back in working form. :O

Merging parts that should not have joints in them seems like a very basic thing that should be part of the game out of the box. There should only be a very small handful of parts that really need physics joints calculated (thin structural parts maybe, like wings or landing gear). I guess it would make collisions and crashes more challenging, as once a ship is welded, you can't just like, break a solar panel or landing leg off. But perhaps some sort of selective thing where you can, for example, weld the fuselage of an aircraft or station together, all the fuel tanks, etc.

Trying to keep large vessels below some part count of 100-150 or so with all the science parts, life support (which makes interplanetary missions an actual challenge), power, engines, fuel, landing craft, life boats, etc, easily gets you way up there. I can't see much leg room for KSP to grow if they can't fix this, or at least figure out how to multi-thread or GPU accelerate the physics.

Edited by AmpCat

12 hours ago, AmpCat said:

"should be part of the game out of the box."

There's probably not a single mod thread on the forums where someone doesn't say that about the particular mod being discussed. They all can't be in the game, actually I'm quite thankful they aren't. :)

Back when this one worked I self-restricted its use, only structural and tanks; and tanks only when as the main part of a subsection of structure. I used it only for creating frames that connected to each other. The lifting portion of the vessel never got welds as it was shed away during ascent and gave you a nice kablooey on a crash.

One time early in using it I welded 99% of a vessel that didn't have many action parts and it ended up as an indestructible brick. I could see how it could be abused and strip some fun from the game so hence the self-restrictions.