[1.4.*] [2.5.3] (2018-04-06) UbioZur Welding Ltd. Continued

girka2k

Hi everyone!

After relocating from Shanghai to Dublin I'm finally able to use my rig and stop trying to play KSP in my laptop. Said so, I copied my install from the laptop to the desktop but, strange thing, somehow when I try to reload my saved game with a *ahem* replica of the Ares III from "The Martian", KSP complaints about the lack of one of the just two parts I welded together. Weird, as I copied the folder as it was (1.8.0, welding before in 1.7.3). So, I actually have no clue about what happened. Tried to reload again with MM 3.1.3, no can do. Tried with Lisias MM fork, no can do either (and Kraken visiting the B9 PartSwitch)... Starting a new game I can actually find one of the parts in the part list while on SPH or VAB, but not the other one. The Kraken is learning misterious and more subtle ways to ruin our lives.

So, has anyone encountered this kind of behavior before? And, any idea about a solution? Of course I can provide logs, but this is a first try in case it's happened to someone before :) 

Thank you in advance!

J

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2020 at 1:19 PM, JorgeCS said:

Hi everyone!

After relocating from Shanghai to Dublin I'm finally able to use my rig and stop trying to play KSP in my laptop. Said so, I copied my install from the laptop to the desktop but, strange thing, somehow when I try to reload my saved game with a *ahem* replica of the Ares III from "The Martian", KSP complaints about the lack of one of the just two parts I welded together. Weird, as I copied the folder as it was (1.8.0, welding before in 1.7.3). So, I actually have no clue about what happened. Tried to reload again with MM 3.1.3, no can do. Tried with Lisias MM fork, no can do either (and Kraken visiting the B9 PartSwitch)... Starting a new game I can actually find one of the parts in the part list while on SPH or VAB, but not the other one. The Kraken is learning misterious and more subtle ways to ruin our lives.

So, has anyone encountered this kind of behavior before? And, any idea about a solution? Of course I can provide logs, but this is a first try in case it's happened to someone before :) 

Thank you in advance!

J

Missing parts can be related to folder names. Your notebook and desktop uses the same operating system? If yes, the same filesystem? (On MacOS, you can choose to have case sensitive or insensitive names for files/directories).

There's a folder with a space on the same on the Desktop's disk, that it's different from the notebook?

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

As long you don't weld parts with VARIANTs. The Weld tool don't know squat about variants.

Does this addon have alternatives? Having glued for example 100 parts into one, does this reduce game GPU CPU e.t.c. load so the game will have more FPS with large ships?

Hi, when clicking on the icon of the mod, the mod seems to be completely not responding, since no pop-up windows were shown. I am using KSP 1.8.1 with Making history and Breaking ground, I have several mods installed: Module Manager, Modular Flight Integrator, Tooolbar Control, Clickthrough Blocker, Unblur, Kopernicus, Real Solar System, Kramax Autopilot, Mechjeb for All, Hyperedit, Kerbal Wind Tunel, Smoke Screeen, RealPlume , RealPlume Stock and Kerbal Konstructs.

4 hours ago, moar ssto said:

Hi, when clicking on the icon of the mod, the mod seems to be completely not responding, since no pop-up windows were shown. I am using KSP 1.8.1 with Making history and Breaking ground, I have several mods installed: Module Manager, Modular Flight Integrator, Tooolbar Control, Clickthrough Blocker, Unblur, Kopernicus, Real Solar System, Kramax Autopilot, Mechjeb for All, Hyperedit, Kerbal Wind Tunel, Smoke Screeen, RealPlume , RealPlume Stock and Kerbal Konstructs.

Have you tried using ModuleManager 3.1.3?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 8:29 PM, Lisias said:

Missing parts can be related to folder names. Your notebook and desktop uses the same operating system? If yes, the same filesystem? (On MacOS, you can choose to have case sensitive or insensitive names for files/directories).

There's a folder with a space on the same on the Desktop's disk, that it's different from the notebook?

Hi Lisias! Sorry about the late answer, LOL, me desculpe!

Zit to all that. Everything is like an exact mirror. In any case, I went to the 'other' solution, which also helps part-counting-wise. Scaling. Just decided to use 250% scaled fin radiators, and scaling up the 3k battery. Still I don't discard to make more changes in the future ;) I'm a bit of a perfectionist sometimes hahaha!

Thank you again, and be safe!!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Can anyone explain why, if it doesn't use any patches, that it doesn't with with any newer version of MM?

I found out it actually calls MM via Reflection.

I have a version of UBIO Welding that is compiled against KSP 1.9.1, and works, with the current version of ModuleManager.  Right now the only issue is that you have to manually reload the MM database after returning to the Space center

I'll have to see if I can get it to reload automatically before I release this, even in a very unofficial manner

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I have a version of UBIO Welding that is compiled against KSP 1.9.1, and works, with the current version of ModuleManager.  Right now the only issue is that you have to manually reload the MM database after returning to the Space center

And that's the reason I decided to fork ModuleManager instead, and avoiding having to change every single other Add'On. :)

My forks are working from 1.4 to 1.9 (some of them 1.3.1 too)

7 minutes ago, Lisias said:

And that's the reason I decided to fork ModuleManager instead, and avoiding having to change every single other Add'On. :)

My forks are working from 1.4 to 1.9 (some of them 1.3.1 too)

I am working on making it work with the official MM.  

While I understand what and why you did that, I disagree with it.  You run the risk of having diverging versions of one or more mods, and the potential is there for someone to bring up an issue in the official thread. of a problem in the fork.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

21 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The official MM doesn't works on 1.3.1. Mine does.

21 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

While I understand what and why you did that, I disagree with it.  You run the risk of having diverging versions of one or more mods, and the potential is there for someone to bring up an issue in the official thread. of a problem in the fork.

Being the reason my forks are not advertised on Forum neither goes to CKAN or Spacedock.

Open Source is not about being forced to use broken things because one developer decided you don't matter.

Edited by Lisias
Eternal Typos of the Englishless Mind

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Where are planning on posting the unofficial file? I'm currently running KSP 1.9.1 with the latest MM and I have the same issue of the button not working (clicking on it doesn't do anything).

26 minutes ago, Einstein_Cross_X1 said:

Where are planning on posting the unofficial file? I'm currently running KSP 1.9.1 with the latest MM and I have the same issue of the button not working (clicking on it doesn't do anything).

Ummm, when it's ready?  I posted that message only 2 hours ago.  Patience, and don't feed the bears

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Ummm, when it's ready?  I posted that message only 2 hours ago.  Patience, and don't feed the bears

That's why I asked where not when ;). I know it will take a while I just wanted to know where to look when it is ready. I'm personally in no rush and don't feel the need to rush anyone else either.

16 minutes ago, Einstein_Cross_X1 said:

That's why I asked where not when ;). I know it will take a while I just wanted to know where to look when it is ready. I'm personally in no rush and don't feel the need to rush anyone else either.

It will be on Github, although there is a small chance I would adopt it in a maintenance mode

@girka2k and others

As you can see from my previous message, I have gotten this to work in KSP 1.9.1 with the current version of ModuleManager.  I'm currently trying to see if I can get it to actually call ModuleManager to load the new part.

The version I started with was a fork by @Lisias.

Right now, it works, but you have to manually reload the database using Alt-F11 in the SpaceCenter.  Not a big deal, but I'd like to see if I can work with MM to load the new part, either while in the editor or automatically upon returning to the SpaceCenter.

What I can say is that the 1.8.0 which is currently available does not work if the current version of ModuleManager is installed.  It apparently does work if an older version of MM is installed, but that's not a great idea since anything which takes advantage of bug fixes and improvements in the current MM won't work properly.

Either way, I certainly do not need another mod to maintain, especially one which I don't really use.  

So, assuming I can get this working, would you like me to submit a PR to your repo?

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What I can say is that the 1.8.0 which is currently available does not work if the current version of ModuleManager is installed.  It apparently does work if an older version of MM is installed, but that's not a great idea since anything which takes advantage of bug fixes and improvements in the current MM won't work properly.

TL;DR: Check: change, the last change before, oldest mention of the file before a internal refactoring, and the first time MMPatchLoader was extended with LoadingSystem. This first LoadingSystem commit was made in 2014, so we have 5 years of a public class being served this way!! Source.

But the maintainer dismissed the report, so there's nothing it can be done on the official fork. So I decided to solve it on mine.

It's good that someone would step ahead and fix all the Add'Ons on the wild to cope with these gratuitous changes that happens now and then - but I found easier to just fork a few things and fix them, and then everything else would just keep working.

Edited by Lisias

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

It's good that someone would step ahead and fix all the Add'Ons on the wild to cope with these gratuitous changes that happens now and then - but I found easier to just fork a few things and fix them, and then everything else would just keep working.

Don't get me wrong, I understand what you are doing, and for yourself, it's fine.  And you aren't pushing your stuff elsewhere, so there's no problem.

I was expressing an opinion as to things in general, didn't mean for it to come off as an attack.

One thing though, and maybe you already have this, but I think you should have a README which is explicit as to the changes, so that someone else coming across it will at least have a chance of doing the right thing.

On 5/27/2020 at 9:08 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

And you aren't pushing your stuff elsewhere, so there's no problem.

I'm not pushing it here. And pushing it on elsewhere is not a problem at all. :)

I was expressing an opinion as to things in general, didn't mean for it to come off as an attack.

Language barrier. I was not counter-attacking neither. But I stand by what I wrote nevertheless - there's a place for each approach, but people should have the choice to opt for what approach suits them better, instead of being locked up on the whims of someone that don't care about his/her needs.

So, instead of continuing fix things again and again everywhere, I choose to pursuit the simpler path: fix what's really broken, instead of fixing working things to cope to what's broken. It's how I keep some of my Add'Ons working fine on multiple KSPs, from 1.4.1 to 1.9.1 - and some few of them even working on 1.3.1: you will see some of my Add'Ons (official or not) working flawless from 1.2.2 to the latest KSP 1.x with the same binary, mark my words. :)

And it's with this spirit that I choose not to push a change on the @girka2k's Official fork that would just deactivate a pretty useful feature (auto reloading parts), or shove some code that would introduce risk of creating maintenance headaches - Module Manager already have the feature, and it was open and being in use since 2014, so why changing it for worse in a way or another? I choose the simpler path. It's working. It's legally available to those who prefer the simple way.

One thing though, and maybe you already have this, but I think you should have a README which is explicit as to the changes, so that someone else coming across it will at least have a chance of doing the right thing.

Our concepts of "Right Things" are fundamentally non convergent, as it appears...

I'm already doing the Right Thing™ on all my works: I'm following Forum policies when such works are published here, and I'm following the host's policies when they are published somewhere else (not to mention the proper legal licensing terms). Every single fork states clearly it's a fork of mine, and it pinpoints the Upstream on the References. And this should be more than enough.

Spoiler

JWcNBcF.png

But... It's always possible to make things better. :)

Spoiler

u0XUyET.png

And yes, it's working on KSP 1.4.0 to 1.9.1, have all the fixes (and some minor ones of mine too) and it is working with the @girka2k's fork right now on the spot without the need of changing the WeldingTool code - and this is the only reason I'm posting this here.

I think that this is our last post pertinent to this Thread. Perhaps we should move any further discussion somewhere else?

Edited by Lisias
Eternal Typos from the Englishless Mind....

Installed the latest UbioWeld 2.6.0.6, ModuleManager 4.1.3.1 and KSPAPIExtensions 2.1.1.6 from https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp

All i get are these errors in 1.9.1

Spoiler

[WeldingTool] ERROR: UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd raised Exception System.MissingMethodException: KSPe.IO.Local.StreamWriter KSPe.IO.File`1/Local.CreateText(string)
  at UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd.OnInfoWindow (System.Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <02d0a8dc6a2e4a6fa6669bb07abef4a1>:0  at ex:0

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

MissingMethodException: KSPe.IO.Local.StreamWriter KSPe.IO.File`1/Local.CreateText(string)
  at UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd.OnInfoWindow (System.Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <02d0a8dc6a2e4a6fa6669bb07abef4a1>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
KSPe.Util.Log.UnityLogDecorator:UnityEngine.ILogHandler.LogException(Exception, Object)
ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
KSPe.Util.Log.UnityLogger:logException(String, Exception)
KSPe.Util.Log.Logger:error(Object, Exception)
UbioWeldingLtd.Log:ex(MonoBehaviour, Exception)
UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd:OnInfoWindow(Int32)
UnityEngine.GUI:CallWindowDelegate(WindowFunction, Int32, Int32, GUISkin, Int32, Single, Single, GUIStyle)

(Filename: <02d0a8dc6a2e4a6fa6669bb07abef4a1> Line: 0)

[WeldingTool] ERROR: UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd raised Exception System.MissingMethodException: KSPe.IO.Local.StreamWriter KSPe.IO.File`1/Local.CreateText(string)
  at UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd.OnInfoWindow (System.Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <02d0a8dc6a2e4a6fa6669bb07abef4a1>:0  at ex:0

(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

MissingMethodException: KSPe.IO.Local.StreamWriter KSPe.IO.File`1/Local.CreateText(string)
  at UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd.OnInfoWindow (System.Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <02d0a8dc6a2e4a6fa6669bb07abef4a1>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
KSPe.Util.Log.UnityLogDecorator:UnityEngine.ILogHandler.LogException(Exception, Object)
ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
KSPe.Util.Log.UnityLogger:logException(String, Exception)
KSPe.Util.Log.Logger:error(Object, Exception)
UbioWeldingLtd.Log:ex(MonoBehaviour, Exception)
UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd:OnInfoWindow(Int32)
UnityEngine.GUI:CallWindowDelegate(WindowFunction, Int32, Int32, GUISkin, Int32, Single, Single, GUIStyle)

Edited by The Space Man