[1.4.*] [2.5.3] (2018-04-06) UbioZur Welding Ltd. Continued

girka2k

7 hours ago, The Space Man said:

Installed the latest UbioWeld 2.6.0.6, ModuleManager 4.1.3.1 and KSPAPIExtensions 2.1.1.6 from https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp

All i get are these errors in 1.9.1

Yeah, I reproduced it. I borked something on KSPe, I'm updating the Tool and will advise ASAP.

In the mean time, please note that the OP's official release also works fine with MM/L 4.1.3.1 - my fork have some niceties, but the OP's one still works!

-- POST - EDIT --

@The Space Man, it's updated. 2.6.0.7 is on the wild.

Spoiler

What happened is that I had cleaned up KSPe code to get rid of some terrible code (and ideas), and ended up breaking backwards compatibility with streaming data to files.

There's some glitches, however. KSP-Recall support is being duplicated. No harm is expected, some things will just be done twice - but next release of KSP Recall will have this fixed.

83955780-35ede800-a82d-11ea-93fb-7e3f8b1

Edited by Lisias
It`s there.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I'm coming up against the limits of what my hardware can support in terms of part count, and welding currently seems like the best solution.

I wouldn't have to weld much; just a few assemblies of structural parts and cabins for my bigger stations and vessels.

I've been trying for some time now to get UbioZur to work with 1.9.1, but no luck so far. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Query: does the UbioZur welding mod currently work for KSP 1.9.1, and if so, where can I find the proper releases, installation and troubleshooting guides?

-- EDIT --

I got it to work with the forked MM; that'll do until a more permanent fix comes along. Thanks!

Edited by Hoozemans

On 7/6/2020 at 3:51 PM, Lucaspec72 said:

hey @Hoozemans could you explain in details how you got it to work on 1.9 ? i want to use that mod on 1.9 and 1.10 but it doesn't seem to work, and idk what you mean by "forked ModuleManager".

I took the latest releases of https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSPAPIExtensionshttps://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/UbioWeldContinuum, and  https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/ModuleManager, installed them as per instructions, and then it worked.

Before I was trying to make it work with the main repo of the MM, because I am worried about compatibility with new releases - but I figured we'll solve that problem when it becomes one.

On 7/10/2020 at 12:17 PM, Hoozemans said:

I took the latest releases of https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KSPAPIExtensionshttps://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/UbioWeldContinuum, and  https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/ModuleManager, installed them as per instructions, and then it worked.

Before I was trying to make it work with the main repo of the MM, because I am worried about compatibility with new releases - but I figured we'll solve that problem when it becomes one.

This not work for 1.10

I found a strange way of detecting ModuleManager on the code, and fixed it. Thanks, @Braste , for the heads up.

On 7/10/2020 at 5:17 AM, Hoozemans said:

And you have one problem less too, as this fork works on KSP 1.4.0 to the newest flawless (1.3.1 is possible, but I need to tackle down something on KSPe first - it's there the problem, not on MM).

3 hours ago, Ciko said:

This not work for 1.10

Yes it does.

87224016-12e8b380-c358-11ea-8554-81a43c7

Exactly as the Official fork, by the way. The reason for the problem described by @Braste is that I wrote a thingy called ModuleManagerWatchDog to prevent multiple installations of MM on KSP >= 1.8 (due a strange new behaviour on the way Assemblies are loaded now), and it happens that the current code assumes that anything starting with ModuleManager is MM, and the WatchDog ended up bitting my SAS on it.

A pull request was issued for the current maintainer, and until a new official release is issued, you can use mine or plain delete GameData/ModulerManagerWatchDog.dll , keep using the official one and call it a day. :)

@Lisias APIExtension appears to be breaking Kerbal Construction Time.  I followed the instructions above installing MM 4.1.4.1 and getting the following errors repeating in the log :

MissingMethodException: bool ToolbarControl_NS.ToolbarControl.LoadImageFromFile(UnityEngine.Texture2D&,string)
  at KerbalConstructionTime.KerbalConstructionTime.OnGUI () [0x0001a] in <62d999a8f87c484eb1d9f06778574928>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
KSPe.Util.Log.UnityLogDecorator:UnityEngine.ILogHandler.LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

(Filename: <62d999a8f87c484eb1d9f06778574928> Line: 0)

[WeldingTool] ERROR: UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd raised Exception System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd.Update () [0x00006] in <2565c8d143ba4ca4a86f2d3996151b85>:0  at ex:0

(Filename: ./Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd.Update () [0x00006] in <2565c8d143ba4ca4a86f2d3996151b85>:0 
ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
KSPe.Util.Log.UnityLogDecorator:UnityEngine.ILogHandler.LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
KSPe.Util.Log.UnityLogger:logException(String, Exception)
KSPe.Util.Log.Logger:error(Object, Exception)
UbioWeldingLtd.Log:ex(MonoBehaviour, Exception)
UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd:Update()

Removing APIE removes the error

3 hours ago, raath said:

@Lisias APIExtension appears to be breaking Kerbal Construction Time.  I followed the instructions above installing MM 4.1.4.1 and getting the following errors repeating in the log :

MissingMethodException: bool ToolbarControl_NS.ToolbarControl.LoadImageFromFile(UnityEngine.Texture2D&,string)
  at KerbalConstructionTime.KerbalConstructionTime.OnGUI () [0x0001a] in <62d999a8f87c484eb1d9f06778574928>:0 
UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

(Filename: <62d999a8f87c484eb1d9f06778574928> Line: 0)

[WeldingTool] ERROR: UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd raised Exception System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd.Update () [0x00006] in <2565c8d143ba4ca4a86f2d3996151b85>:0  at ex:0

(Filename: ./Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd.Update () [0x00006] in <2565c8d143ba4ca4a86f2d3996151b85>:0 
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
KSPe.Util.Log.UnityLogger:logException(String, Exception)
KSPe.Util.Log.Logger:error(Object, Exception)
UbioWeldingLtd.Log:ex(MonoBehaviour, Exception)
UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd:Update()

Removing APIE removes the error

It's unlikely that removing APIE fixes the Konstruction trying to access a method that doesn't exists. :)

Removing KSPe will only mask the problem, as it will not be logged. It's not a fix.

This log entry says that KerbalConstructionTime.KerbalConstructionTime.OnGUI is calling (or calling someone calling) a thingy called bool ToolbarControl_NS.ToolbarControl.LoadImageFromFile(UnityEngine.Texture2D&,string) , but this method does not exists on  the loaded Assemblies.

HOWEVER... You really detected a problem, just didn't pinpointed the right culprit. I will come back with a fix on the Welding tool in few minutes - don't have a clue if it will fix Konstruction, but it will fix the NRE on the WeldingTool.

-- POST EDIT --

That fix on the WeldingTool would not fix any problem, that code only logs a fancy message about having ToolbarController installed or not, the code that really uses Toolbar controller is working.

What you need is to INSTALL TOOLBAR CONTROL. Konstruction is borking because he is trying to use this method:

// This function will attempt to load either a PNG or a JPG from the specified path.  
        // It first checks to see if the actual file is there, if not, it then looks for either a PNG or a JPG
        //
        // easier to specify different cases than to change case to lower.  This will fail on MacOS and Linux
        // if a suffix has mixed case
        static string[] imgSuffixes = new string[] { ".png", ".jpg", ".gif", ".PNG", ".JPG", ".GIF", ".dds", ".DDS" };
        public static Boolean LoadImageFromFile(ref Texture2D tex, String fileNamePath)

From this code of Toolbar Controller. But since you didn't installed it, it's borking.

You will fix the problem  by installing ToolbarControl. (don't shoot the messenger! KSPe is helping you!)

Edited by Lisias
Hit "save" too soon.

On 7/12/2020 at 11:48 PM, Lisias said:

What you need is to INSTALL TOOLBAR CONTROL. Konstruction is borking because he is trying to use this method:

Toolbar control is installed already.  In the end I temporarily removed KCT, moved my craft files into a temporary game and welded the parts I needed then removed weld, APIe and reverted MM.

33 minutes ago, raath said:

Toolbar control is installed already.  In the end I temporarily removed KCT, moved my craft files into a temporary game and welded the parts I needed then removed weld, APIe and reverted MM.

Check the Toolbar Control's dependencies. If they are not met, the plugin is not loaded besides being installed, and things borks the same.

Edited by Lisias
Ugh... I need a stronger coffee.

'Ello!

I've been attempting to use this mod to build a working space elevator to some success as seen here: 

The problem however is that launch clamps, which are used to secure the elevator to the ground 'flop' or let go entirely of any welded object when a kerbal uses a ladder within load range (weird I know.)

Its the only thing that's stopped me from building a (practical) working space elevator and to be honest I'm stumped. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Using version 1.7.3 (1.4.2 version of UbioZur.) Parts welded are from KSP interstellar.

hmmm.... i made a weldement for a gargantuan 1.7km long ship, but then i added more to it after welding, then welded it again, and the unwelded parts worked fine, but the weldement... folded? theoretically, it should be just fine, but it breaks somehow.
the craft on the bottom is that craft i attempted to weld, and the ghostly part on top was the result.
ITY3kfB.png

another angle
9Q9o5EN.png

and to show what was the weldement that got glitched,
vZJB0m4.png

the rightmost part is the original weldement that i used for the middle craft, i added some parts to the front of the craft, then i welded it again, and the part on the left is the result..... the front bits welded correctly, but the weldement just broke

Hi,

I'm trying to get this mod to work on KSP 1.10, but I'm a bit confused on how to achieve that and what version to use.

I tried the Lisias 2.6.0.8 version and nothing happened, then I tried the Alewx version and I only have the welding button in the toolbar  but it does not do anything when clicked...

Wich version is the most likely to work on KSP 1.10 ? 

EDIT: I have all dependencies Installed, and MM 4.1.4

EDIT 2: Ok, I finaly got the Lisias' version to work ! I had to install ksp 1.9.1, then the mods, then launch the game one time in 1.9.1 and finally re-installed 1.10 version. No idea why this won't work the first time...

Edited by JM445

14 hours ago, JM445 said:

EDIT 2: Ok, I finaly got the Lisias' version to work ! I had to install ksp 1.9.1, then the mods, then launch the game one time in 1.9.1 and finally re-installed 1.10 version. No idea why this won't work the first time...

That is interesting! :)

Can you please send me your KSP.log? Just out of curiosity, I didn't see this coming!

hello i signed up to be able to post on this mod - i felt i had to , firstly thank you for bringing this elderly mod back i have missed it a lot , i'll get right to it . I installed all lisias versions of all 3 mods into 1.10 first time with all my other mods including kspie , tweakscale latest, colour depot , mk2e , mk3e ,  aviation lights , kerbal electric lights and glass panes - i do all my mods manualy i do not use ckan in anyway , cant belive it ! - works fine ! however i must post that the same general welding rules apply such as , dont weld moving or docking ports - in fact dont weld anything animated or that you directly interact with at all - that includes anything science , docking ports parachutes cargo bays etc etc, dont weld anything with part variants / texture swaps , do not weld pods,  - if you weld anything with lights on , only the root part with have lights , also be mindfull what part mods youre trying to weld some part mods weld nice some dont , i dont think i would attempt to weld kspie tanks - yet welding certain mk2e/mk3e parts seems to be ok - the only problem i have is now most of the parts / tanks have part variants / multiple textures now - making what parts to actual weld limited - still if you want to build massive space stations from 100s or panels / wings youre good to go in 1.10 thank you for all the hardwork put into this and many other mods .

edit : regarding colour depot mod - when you weld it will only apply the colour mod to the root part of the weldment - say for example you cant have a wing as a root part - but you can dump it as a subassembly - weld it - then the colour mod will colour the entire weldment as normal but only for wing parts and if you used any other parts in the weldment only wing parts would get coloured propperly - in case anyone was wondering how to get around colouring weldments with colour depot , regarding this on another note , you would have to make seperate weldments and put them together in your builds if you wanted to have multicoloured parts (remember the weldment will be coloured as one single part) and bringing me to the final point of sticking them together with struts - do not weld weldments together on top of each other ! , its always caused problems originaly - only create single weldments then attach/strut them together as you would normal parts , thank you again for bringing this mod back to life i will try to post some epic pics in the spacecraft exchange with weldments :)

Edited by sentient mirage
more info

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, SynX said:

Is this mod discontinued? I have not made it work in any version above 1.7.3, even then require the older version of ModuleManager

See the post imediattely above yours. :)

On 8/15/2020 at 8:20 PM, SynX said:

After checking back a few pages, I am able to find your amazing work. however I'm still thinking which exact version to download.

That's the fun fact: you can use any one of them, as long you are using the MM Experimental thingy of mine that "undo" what was done on the "Stock" MM that breaks the Welding tool. I think "my" version does one thing or two better, but the true is that the official one on the OP also works (on the Experimental MM).

On 7/24/2020 at 3:32 PM, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

hmmm.... i made a weldement for a gargantuan 1.7km long ship, but then i added more to it after welding, then welded it again, and the unwelded parts worked fine, but the weldement... folded?

[...]
the rightmost part is the original weldement that i used for the middle craft, i added some parts to the front of the craft, then i welded it again, and the part on the left is the result..... the front bits welded correctly, but the weldement just broke

Hi, sorry answering so late, I remember reading your post and marking it to answer later (I was kinda busy that day), but... forgot. :(

I never tested the tool against welding parts into an already welded "mega-part". What I'm seeing appears to be a recursion aborted by an error. On a wild guess, the code that welds symmetries ignored half of the craft because a welded bunch of parts has no symmetries, so the code wrongly concluded that there's nothing more to do after finishing the left side.

Again, it's a wild guessing, but.. Try to weld all the parts at once, without using intermediary weldings. The true is that I never tested doing this way, it never crossed my mind before! :)

On 7/24/2020 at 9:58 AM, josselin2196 said:

Did the mod still work on 1.9.1? I have the icon on the toolbar but nothing happen when clicking on it.

log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfxx4kna6yny0tz/KSP.log?dl=0

It's something on MM that changed some time ago (and IMHO it didn't had to change, it was kinda gratuitous). Have it "fixed" on my Experimental fork of MM, it will allow the tool (both the official one and my fork) to work without further hassle.

You will have the whole story on this post.

On 7/20/2020 at 4:14 AM, Luriss said:

The problem however is that launch clamps, which are used to secure the elevator to the ground 'flop' or let go entirely of any welded object when a kerbal uses a ladder within load range (weird I know.)

Its the only thing that's stopped me from building a (practical) working space elevator and to be honest I'm stumped. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Using version 1.7.3 (1.4.2 version of UbioZur.) Parts welded are from KSP interstellar.

There're some practical limits on the size of the things you can instance on KSP. Too much big things (as your elevator), and the floats imprecision start to bite (too much big or too much small values, and we start to lose precision on the number - it's like a rounding). And then these craziness start to happen.

There's this thread explaining why space elevators can't happen (at least, without a lot of help of heavy scripting) on KSP:

And the reasons are still valid. SWDennis almost did one on a video in 2018, but I can't link the video here because he express in splendid colours all his frustrations on the video, and that made it Forum rules unfriendly. :D

Edited by Lisias
Kraken damned auto-completions!! :/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i've just downloaded this mod but it does not seem to work for me. I tried reading a couple pages back but i couldn't find/understand much. My problem is that when i press the icon in the VAB, nothing happens. Playing KSP 1.7.3, HEAVILY modded, but no procedural parts/infernal robotics. The mod version i installed is 2.5.3.0

4 hours ago, BOBBER said:

Hi, i've just downloaded this mod but it does not seem to work for me. I tried reading a couple pages back but i couldn't find/understand much. My problem is that when i press the icon in the VAB, nothing happens. Playing KSP 1.7.3, HEAVILY modded, but no procedural parts/infernal robotics. The mod version i installed is 2.5.3.0

I'm afraid you looked too away. On the post immediately above yours, there's a link to the explanation for the problem:

Since you are on KSP 1.7, you can rollback MM to 3.1.3, where things works for Welding Tool. (tl;dr: it was a - non functional - change on MM that broke Welding). You can also try an alternative, experimental fork of MM 4 (with all the latests bug fixes and working for almost all KSPs, from 1.10.1 down to 1.3.1) - but most people finds offensive fixing problems the "official" maintainer refuses to fix - so I will not link it here.