[1.4.*] [2.5.3] (2018-04-06) UbioZur Welding Ltd. Continued

girka2k

every time I try to weld wing stuff together, this happens. Why? =)

A suggestion you might try:

Save the ship, go to the VAB and load the ship there. Then try to weld it. Several of my weldings have rotated parts when i weld a ship in the SPH but not when i weld it in the VAB. Please let me know if that helps.

A suggestion you might try:

Save the ship, go to the VAB and load the ship there. Then try to weld it. Several of my weldings have rotated parts when i weld a ship in the SPH but not when i weld it in the VAB. Please let me know if that helps.

Thanks that created functional parts! But for some reason I cannot attach some of them to the receiving nodes. Do you have any idea why that may happen? I have set "preserve all nodes" in the settings (otherwise there would not have been a node at all).

Thanks that created functional parts! But for some reason I cannot attach some of them to the receiving nodes. Do you have any idea why that may happen? I have set "preserve all nodes" in the settings (otherwise there would not have been a node at all).

That sounds strongly like the node has the wrong direction.

Try to find the node that you want to use for attaching and look which direction it has x, y, z, x1, y1, z1, s; xyz are the position coordinates, x1y1z1 are the direction vectors and s is the size of the node.

Edited by Alewx

That sounds strongly like the node has the wrong direction.

Try to find the node that you want to use for attaching and look which direction it has x, y, z, x1, y1, z1, s; xyz are the position coordinates, x1y1z1 are the direction vectors and s is the size of the node.

Do you mean inside .cfg file? I have welded stoff to a large SRB which i can only attach at the bottom but not the top. This is what it looks like in the .cfg ...

node_stack_topMassiveBooster0 = 0.00049,9.1464,1.96171,0,1,0,1

node_stack_bottomMassiveBooster0 = 0.00049,-5.71838,1.96171,0,1,0,1

node_attach = 0,0,-0.635,0,0,1,1

If I interpret your comment and these numbers right... I should change the bottom string so it ends on "0,1,1,1" - correct?

The problem really is: it attaches but the entire welded part stays red for some reason.

Do you mean inside .cfg file? I have welded stoff to a large SRB which i can only attach at the bottom but not the top. This is what it looks like in the .cfg ...

node_stack_bottomMassiveBooster0 = 0.00049,-5.71838,1.96171,0,1,0,1

node_attach = 0,0,-0.635,0,0,1,1

If I interpret your comment and these numbers right... I should change the bottom string so it ends on "0,1,1,1" - correct?

The problem really is: it attaches but the entire welded part stays red for some reason.

Hmm the part is slightly of center having a central position that is half a meter on the z axis back in the space, but a side of that I see nothing really wrong.

the node_attach seems ok, there is no change really needed.

try to replace the other two stack attach nodes with the following stuff:

node_stack_bottomMassiveBooster0 = 0.00049,-5.71838,1.96171,0,-1,0,1

That way the part gets the top node with the up direction in last position which is required by the game to interpret the node directions correct, and the bottom node gets the direction downwards. that should fix your problem.

Hey guys, anyone have the issue that some weldments give the blackscreen bug (UI still visible) when laucnhing the part? Or does any how to debug this issue?

It is becomming somewhat impossible for me to weld certain parts, even going by the do's/don'ts in the FP.

Some combinations give no issues, while other rather simple low partcount desings like: an OKTO + RoverMate + battery results in a blackscreen when you test launch the part.

OKTO + RoverMate + battery results in a blackscreen when you test launch the part.

Both OKTO and RoverMate parts both considered to be command modules - I suggest not welding them to each other.

There are lots of causes of the black screen bug in KSP 0.90 though...

My general workflow for welding a part is:

1. Create a .craft file in the SPH or VAB that contains only the parts that are to be welded together. I usually call them "Welding - PARTNAME" where "PARTNAME" is what I will eventually name the welded part. I also work on the part description text

This is also where I spend the most time fine-tuning things, running down a mental checklist, thinking about uses, etc.

2. Save the vessel in the VAB/SPH editor.

3. Click the UbioZur Welding icon in the main toolbar.

4. Click on "Weld it" button. Assign it to the correct category and tech node. Fix the part names and add in the description (both are copy/paste from the VAB/SPH editor name/description windows).

5. Exit the VAB and close down KSP.

6. Relaunch KSP, try out the new part in a test design using Kerbal Construction Time's simulation function. If I don't like what I'm seeing, I revert the simulation, close down KSP, remove the parts .cfg file, open KSP back up, re-weld, and try again.

Both OKTO and RoverMate parts both considered to be command modules - I suggest not welding them to each other.

There are lots of causes of the black screen bug in KSP 0.90 though...

Thanks, it figures that those parts might conflict.

To be honest, never encountered this bug before, untill I started testing the mod.

Just got the rover base working and fully tested a design.

Though odd thing that happend: when added 2 more batteries (as seperate parts), the blackscreen bug returned. Which seems random and it left me wondering if the batteries are the cause.

That's the workflow I've been using as well, although I do testing in sandbox mode, to figure out which parts conflict. And that takes a lot or KSP restarts lately.

Also I have my thoughts that maybe Ven Stock Part Revamp is giving the issues. As adding a Mk1-2 + fuel tank gives the same bug, but welding 24 NF radial hydrogen tanks to a large hydrogen main tank + NF strucural components goes without a fuzz.

I've welded parts with dozens of the stock (Z-1k) or the KW radial batteries. One of my most common uses is to weld a QBE, 125cm reaction wheel and a few Z-1k batteries together to serve as a better probe core.

I also have a battery mast which is just 50 Z-1k batteries stacked and then welded together.

Are welded crafts still compatible with a 100% stock install? Put answer in main post.

At a minimum, I would expect that you need the UbioZur Welding mod installed... but it's quite possible that you don't need anything other then the .cfg file that references only stock parts.

Hey guys, anyone have the issue that some weldments give the blackscreen bug (UI still visible) when laucnhing the part? Or does any how to debug this issue?

It is becomming somewhat impossible for me to weld certain parts, even going by the do's/don'ts in the FP.

Some combinations give no issues, while other rather simple low partcount desings like: an OKTO + RoverMate + battery results in a blackscreen when you test launch the part.

Ven's redesigned stockparts are not tested, so I can't say much about that and welding.

About OKTO rovermate and battery, these are pure stockparts so there should not be a conflict, but I will check it this weekend.

:D that is great.

Are welded crafts still compatible with a 100% stock install? Put answer in main post.

As long as the weldment only contains parts that are 100% stock, there should be no problem.

EDIT:

Tested the rovermate OKTO battery welding and worked without any problems.

My rover in the end exploded because to too high turn rate, but it worked.

Edited by Alewx

Sorry, noob question...

I created a "weldment" following the instructions in the OP. After pressing the "Weld it" button, the assembly turned a shade of red, and nothing seemed to happen. I restarted the game and the part isn't in my parts list, nor is it in my GameData folder.

How is this meant to work? :S

Sorry, noob question...

I created a "weldment" following the instructions in the OP. After pressing the "Weld it" button, the assembly turned a shade of red, and nothing seemed to happen. I restarted the game and the part isn't in my parts list, nor is it in my GameData folder.

How is this meant to work? :S

Could you please repeat the welding and post a link to your ksp.log after that and before restarting the game.

Sure. Here it is: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4446393/KSP.log

Thanks in advance. :)

Thanks I found what is causing the problems,

[LOG 15:16:16.364] [WeldingTool] | ModuleRTAntenna - MaxQ is float
[EXC 15:16:16.364] ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
Parameter name: s
System.Double.Parse (System.String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider)
System.Single.Parse (System.String s)
UbioWeldingLtd.Welder.mergeModuleFloatValues (System.String newModuleName, .ConfigNode newModule, .ConfigNode existingNewModule, System.String ModuleAttribute)
UbioWeldingLtd.Welder.mergeModuleAttributes (System.String newModuleName, .ConfigNode newModule, .ConfigNode existingNewModule)
UbioWeldingLtd.Welder.mergeModulesAlexTest (System.String partname, .UrlConfig configuration)
UbioWeldingLtd.Welder.weldThisPart (.Part newpart)
UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd.weldPart (.Part partToWeld)
UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd.OnMainWindow (Int32 windowID)
UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

Do you have RemoteTech or Antenna Range installed?

Thanks I found what is causing the problems,

[LOG 15:16:16.364] [WeldingTool] | ModuleRTAntenna - MaxQ is float
[EXC 15:16:16.364] ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.
Parameter name: s
System.Double.Parse (System.String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider)
System.Single.Parse (System.String s)
UbioWeldingLtd.Welder.mergeModuleFloatValues (System.String newModuleName, .ConfigNode newModule, .ConfigNode existingNewModule, System.String ModuleAttribute)
UbioWeldingLtd.Welder.mergeModuleAttributes (System.String newModuleName, .ConfigNode newModule, .ConfigNode existingNewModule)
UbioWeldingLtd.Welder.mergeModulesAlexTest (System.String partname, .UrlConfig configuration)
UbioWeldingLtd.Welder.weldThisPart (.Part newpart)
UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd.weldPart (.Part partToWeld)
UbioWeldingLtd.UbioZurWeldingLtd.OnMainWindow (Int32 windowID)
UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

Do you have RemoteTech or Antenna Range installed?

Yes, RemoteTech.