267 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think FAR is hard?

• FAR is hard, but I've never used it
    • FAR is easy, but I've never used it
    • FAR is hard, but I/I've use(d) it
    • FAR is easy, I/I've use(d) it
    • I dropped FAR because it was hard
    • I'll probably give FAR a try now

I find that FAR makes building good planes substantially more difficult. Sure, I can make just about anything fly with enough thrust (KSP Interstellar fusion thermoturbojets could fly a city bus or herd of goats into orbit, with enough struts), but the tricky part for me is making it fly well. I've wrestled spaceplanes into orbit in heated, seat-of-the-pants pilot-versus-aircraft fights, but only rarely can I build something that doesn't wobble horrendously.

I think this could very well be a control input issue. With mouse and keyboard you have only binary inputs, deflect or don't deflect. So each time you hit W/S you create a perturbation. Planes are known to react to this with wobble. It is called Short-period pitch oscillation.

SAS unfortunately does not help with this because it is tuned for stock physics. The way to fly with less wobble is (a) using trim (ALT-WASD) and/or FAR flight assistance systems. Best thing is if you have a joystick of course.

Oh and i should say that there is also an autopilot mod which has a pitch hold mode and things like this.

To make the actual plane less wobbly i think you have to increase the size of the tail plane but i'm not sure about it. Probably someone already answered that.

------------------------------

OT: i voted FAR is hard. But it really depends. Building a rocket is pretty easy. Slap on some fins and it's going to fly perfectly straight. If you are careful you can also launch crazy contraptions, which is hard. Building a simple plane, like a Cessna is very easy. Just copy an existing design. I mean, add wings, add tail plane, elevators, ailerons, vertical stabilizer, CoM in front of CoL - it is probably going to fly. Building a spaceplane that can carry a significant payload or building an extraordinary plane design is hard again. Build building a spaceplane in stock is also hard, so it's no big deal.

Edited by DaMichel

You don't need fins. Just copy real life.

Made a Delta IV Medium for RSS, referencing the Wikipedia page. Guess what? It works, and it works really well! Those rocket people really know what they are doing! :o

GcSFSG5.png

U8NH0Iv.png

15km/s of ÃŽâ€v with payload.

Rockets are significantly easier (as soon as someone tells you that 45 degree turns are bad), while I find planes significantly harder. I have not made a successful supersonic flight and landed it again since I installed FAR. I'm starting to suspect that everyone saying that it's easy has a joystick easily available...

Rockets are significantly easier (as soon as someone tells you that 45 degree turns are bad), while I find planes significantly harder. I have not made a successful supersonic flight and landed it again since I installed FAR. I'm starting to suspect that everyone saying that it's easy has a joystick easily available...
I've made spaceplanes to orbit and back to landing successfully using FAR/DRE without having a joystick. It's a bit more noodley than stock, but you can do it.

I dont use a joystick, but I do use FAR and DRE....

PEmJHTx.jpg

a0OhxVw.jpg

i5c9dbz.jpg

Zv0Ysv6.jpg

Just a few of my more used craft in my regular KSP install. I can land quite well without a stick. I just find it easier to line up on the runway from about 10km out at 1km altitude and follow a nice gentle glide slope in of about 2-3deg. Usually touching down around 70-90m/s on some of my craft I can land at 50-60m/s.

You don't need fins. Just copy real life.

I never really succeeded in doing so. But i play with stock Kerbin mostly. The one rocket i built for 6.4x scale Kerbin also needed smallish fins IIRC. Copying an RL rocket may be fun for once but i prefer to build creatively "the kerbal way". My most extreme example is probably the old Eve mission.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

In my option the need to consider aerodynamic forces adds to the gameplay and makes it more fun. It may be a little harder but this is relative in this game because there is always the next greater challenge.

@Jarin: Since i mentioned using a joystick - i have one but when i'm lazy i play with KB and mouse just fine. This could be helpful: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/52080-Basic-Aircraft-Design-Explained-Simply-With-Pictures.

Edited by DaMichel

regex, hodo: I did say "people claiming it's easy" :) , I never claimed impossible. Just takes a lot more work/understanding/experience.

Mostly, I think, I can't land the blasted things without the soup to slow me down. WTB Stock flaps/aerobrakes...

regex, hodo: I did say "people claiming it's easy" :) , I never claimed impossible. Just takes a lot more work/understanding/experience.

Mostly, I think, I can't land the blasted things without the soup to slow me down. WTB Stock flaps/aerobrakes...

Any FAR control surface can be a flap ( although your rudders might get confused ) - and you can make anything an airbrake too, but it'll stop it doing anything else.

You can set control surfaces to be spoilers and flaps in the sph building. And it is not easy at first, but after you practice a bit it become s easy. But I come from a real flight Sim mentality where I know it takes several dozen kilometers to slow down while flying. But B9 and Firespitter has air brakes along with retro future.

I still have yet to see any craft in FAR that can remotely compete with the most agile stock planes, for instance, and you'll never end up in a catastrophic stall in stock. Stock aero enables more planes to fly with fewer complications, so in stock, arbitrarily-designed craft are far more likely to fly satisfactorily.

woooo so the planes I make? the ones I specifically make for maneuverability would work better in stock?...sorry I really wish I could show you my 45+ gee super jet using far..but sadly that was 5 or so updates ago and the screen-shots are lost. I have always been able to make crazy maneuverable jets in FAR, when the most I was ever able to pull in stock was 15 g's in fact look here CLICK ME back before I played with FAR, and amazingly my plane maneuver better in far. you can still make super maneuverable planes with FAR you just have to know what your doing.

Keyboard flyer, with a movement disorder that makes even hitting the keyboard accurately a bit tricky at times. I do okay...

Edited by Wanderfound

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.