Yamato Online KSP MMORPG

andy662

Hello fellow kerbinauts, I am andy662, also known as the games developer 'Proasek' and I work at Project Seed. But that's enough about me, you all clicked this link because you thought: "Yamato? that was a good anime... MMO you say? Interesting..." well, let me tell you about my project.

Yamato Online will be a mod, or more specifically mod pack, that turns KSP into a first person MMO set on a huge-ass ship, drifting off into deep space. Truth is, i can't mod, only compile mod packs. If there are ANY developers who would be interested in working on Yamato Online, please do make yourselves known.

Yamato Online features:

Our lovable (customisable) kerbal friends as player models

MMO scale

Procedural generation for planets

none of that planetary motion BS

a truly massive ship

if you have any other ideas for features, please do comment.

thanks for your time, Proasek.

Interesting idea. So... will the mod happen in KSP... or on another engine? It seems like giving KSP all the chat, inventory, and friend-list features we expect from a mmo will be hard. Maybe you could remake the kerbal models and get them into an engine like second life to build your ship? Sell kerbal avatars and ship component props in game to cover the costs?

Interesting idea. So... will the mod happen in KSP... or on another engine? It seems like giving KSP all the chat, inventory, and friend-list features we expect from a mmo will be hard. Maybe you could remake the kerbal models and get them into an engine like second life to build your ship? Sell kerbal avatars and ship component props in game to cover the costs?

I'm pretty sure that selling kerbal-related merchandise in another game would be highly illegal. I am also quite skeptical about the legality of the entire concept of this in general. At what point does a mod cease to be a mod and start being another fully fledged game? Finally, I personally believe that taking the shipbuilding and "planetary motion BS" out of KSP would be equivalent to ripping out its heart.

If I had to say something nice about it, it'd have to be that I like the idea of procedural generation for planets and kerbal diversity(it would be nice to insert a kerbalized version of yourself into the KSP so you can fly your own rockets).

I'm pretty sure that selling kerbal-related merchandise in another game would be highly illegal. I am also quite skeptical about the legality of the entire concept of this in general. At what point does a mod cease to be a mod and start being another fully fledged game? Finally, I personally believe that taking the shipbuilding and "planetary motion BS" out of KSP would be equivalent to ripping out its heart.

If I had to say something nice about it, it'd have to be that I like the idea of procedural generation for planets and kerbal diversity(it would be nice to insert a kerbalized version of yourself into the KSP so you can fly your own rockets).

Indeed, at what point does a mod stop being a mod? i agree that it is like ripping the heart out, but then i want the mod to be unique. something completely new and different. i'm glad you like those two points though.

Yeah, nice troll there.

None of these things are possible in mods, and if they were they'd not need someone to make a modpack out of it.

And you're not a game developer for anything if you can't mod.

i'm serious. it's possible, more than, and if then if no-one steps forward to aid in it's creation, i will have to compile it from existing mods.

and i am a game dev, ask Sooperevee if you don't believe me. working on a VRMMORPG. it's just the way KSP is programmed, a little out of my area.

Edited by andy662

Indeed, at what point does a mod stop being a mod? i agree that it is like ripping the heart out, but then i want the mod to be unique. something completely new and different. i'm glad you like those two points though.

i'm serious. it's possible, more than, and if then if no-one steps forward to aid in it's creation, i will have to compile it from existing mods.

and i am a game dev, ask Sooperevee if you don't believe me. working on a VRMMORPG. it's just the way KSP is programmed, a little out of my area.

I was implying that this would cross that point, and that I liked the idea of those two points being standalone mods, instead of a part of this.

Yamato Online features:

Our lovable (customisable) kerbal friends as player models

MMO scale

Procedural generation for planets

none of that planetary motion BS

a truly massive ship

That means you want to rip out the core of KSP and replace it with something else.

You'll have to write so much code for it to work it's easier to develop a new game in Unity instead of modding KSP.

That means you want to rip out the core of KSP and replace it with something else.

You'll have to write so much code for it to work it's easier to develop a new game in Unity instead of modding KSP.

Especially since 90% of what you would be writing IS Unity code not KSP code.

Truth is, i can't mod, only compile mod packs.

This is false. Anyone no matter how astoundingly without intelligence, who is capable of composing valid language, any language, which can be understood by others as was intended by the writer, is already a programmer. C# is a language, and it's very similar to english, all of the keywords are english, and mean exactly what they do in english. The syntax varies a bit but it's all pretty obvious. The only hard part about programming is knowing where the thing you need to change is, in what way it needs to be changed, and how to apply that change correctly. This is a life skill. This is not unique to programming. If you cannot do this then your life is going to be very difficult.

The task you seek to complete is irrational, impossible, legally dubious, misguided, and in poor taste; but you can program, so you can try, you can find all these things to be true by your own hands, and if you have questions about how to do programming stuff we will help you with that.

Yamato Online will be a mod, or more specifically mod pack, that turns KSP into a first person MMO set on a huge-ass ship, drifting off into deep space.

No it won't. Why?

Truth is, i can't mod, only compile mod packs.

That's why. Why would anyone help you making the mod you envision?

Modding does not work like that. It didn't work like that 15 years ago (when people started modding HalfLife and UnrealTournament) and it still doesn't work this way this day.

Quick googling on your nickname, shows you have a lot of free time:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/andy662

Maybe spend a bit of that time on actually learning how to mod, instead of walking in here and hoping other people will do the main work for you. As the mod you envision will take loads and loads of hours.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.