The Laythe Colonisation challenge! I messed this up! plese close

DMSP

(Sorry I don't have any photos right now, they are uploading. I will post an brief album later.)

263px-TinyLaythe.png

Laythe_color_map.png

Your challenge: Colonise Laythe!

The Kerbals have found Laythe, a small habitable mün orbiting Jool. It needs to be explored and colonised for Science! and exploration. It also would be a safe haven for Kerbals and Kerbality if Kerbin had a disaster.

Rules:

You can use any mods, but when you post please say which mods you used.

Part clipping (For your base modules) are allowed.

Post photos, or it never happened!

Post a photo of how many Kerbals, how many parts for each module and every module in your base.

You can continue adding modules to your base after your first post, just show. I will update the leaderboard.

(Tell me if I missed anything!)

Scoring:

1 Kerbal is +50 points.

A module with 5 parts (Each part counted must be over 1 ton) is +50 points. (Mk1 lander can is an exception)

A module with 10 parts (Each part counted must be over 1 ton) is +100 points. (so on)

Each rover is +200 points.

Each Habitation module (Crew quarters, 5 Kerbal capacity) is +250 points.

Each Large Science! Lab is +300 points.

Each plane is +500 points.

If a module is mobile, +100 points (Planes and rovers do not count.)

Bonus if the base floats +150

Bonus if the base is on land +50

The hard part:

So, you land your first module. That is your target! If your next module's FINAL resting place is 2 km from the first module, you lose 100 points. (If it is under 1km, you lose no points.) 4 km, 200 points. 3 km, 150 points. So on. Always round to the nearest km. (By final I mean if you land a module 4 km away from the first, but then drive/move it nearer, it is where you chose to stop your module.)

Stock leader-board:

1-

2-

3-

4-

5-

Modded leaderboard:

1-

2-

3-

4-

5-

Edited by DMSP

Give it time, I'm sure someone might enter. Your challenge will take a long time for most people and you can't expect someone to finish it in 5 hours. That said, you might want to look at your rules before anyone enters. They are very prone to min/maxing. Someone could put a few hundred identical science modules or send up a bunch of Mk3 Crew Cabins. It rewards CPU power over actual engineering skill. You could set limits of, say, 20 Kerbals, one of each unique science module, two planes, and it's probably best to get rid of the part count bonus entirely.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/105849-The-challenge-to-create-better-challenges'

Edit: Ninja'd, by the guy who posted this ^

Scoring:

1 Kerbal is +50 points.

~350 pt/T using command seat

80-123 pt/T using Hithiker/MK3 module

fix sugested : if it's about bringing kerbals there prohibit command seat for interplanetary travel. If it's about having them in the colony, don't give point, it overlap with

Each Habitation module (Crew quarters, 5 Kerbal capacity) is +250 points.

~100pt/T. additive with the kerbal points

A module with 5 parts (Each part counted must be over 1 ton) is +50 points. (Mk1 lander can is an exception)

A module with 10 parts (Each part counted must be over 1 ton) is +100 points. (so on)

10-15 pt/T (using 1T fuel tanks or piling empty Mk1 lander)

What about giving points mass wise? or having usefull module (with scientific equipement)

Each rover is +200 points.

>1000 pt / T using QBE, the lightest wheels and massless structural parts.

Fix suggested : rewarding a limited number of unmanned rover, and a limited number of of manned ones. (2-3?)

Each plane is +500 points.

probably > 500pt/T, using an ion glider drone.

Same as the previous point.

Each Large Science! Lab is +300 points.

85 pt/T

The hard part:

So, you land your first module. That is your target! If your next module's FINAL resting place is 2 km from the first module, you lose 100 points. (If it is under 1km, you lose no points.) 4 km, 200 points. 3 km, 150 points. So on. Always round to the nearest km. (By final I mean if you land a module 4 km away from the first, but then drive/move it nearer, it is where you chose to stop your module.)

1 km is alot. Currently, the scoring system does not encourage/enforce modularity. You should try add more rules like this one :

If a module is mobile, +100 points (Planes and rovers do not count.)

As it stands, the easiest way to score is (by far), to single launch a bunch of minimalistic rovers.

Pleas consider the following :

- limit the number of rover/plane module per base, or the number of rover/plane per kerbals.

- balance the point per pounds of the different modules.

- add a limit of how many modules are required so the challenge is not just how big a base my computer can hold (and how patient I am to build it), or a far lower bonus for modules with already fullfilled function.

- add diversity to modules, for example, a module could be scientific, scoring by instruments; communicationnal; fuel module, for shuttles/plane or rovers, ...

- add speed and autonomy requirement/bonus for planes and rovers. Add a bonus for flippability/unflippability.

on the hard part, or how to enforce modularity and precision landing :

- each module/rover/plane has to be launched(or at least launchable) and landed separately, the idea being if a module/rover/plane is destroyed/damaged, it can be replaced individually.

- no penality range is 1km from first module, and 50 m from the base (recursively defined as the set set of module distant of at least 50m of the first module, or of one module of the base)

- bonus if you dock the new module. Bonus if you can refuel the plane/rover, or if the rover is electric, has a power source and a great autonomy

- bonus if your base is near the beach.

Edited by Kesa

I've actually been working on a few things that might work for this challenge. Will post when I get the chance :)

Edit #1: A few of the vehicles I'll be using. I'm, including links in case the albums don't work inside the spoilers.

First up, Jet Boat Mk-1:

http://imgur.com/a/QEDUM

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Dropship:

http://imgur.com/a/LFBjY

Edit #2: Another floating base concept.

http://imgur.com/a/k8mYp

Edited by Slam_Jones

• 2 weeks later...

Another laythe challenge :)

Oh but I can’t take on another with so many things still to be done. Although I do Like this one

Instead I'll just boast about how much I love laythe :wink: the 1 place other than kerbin were SSTO's are useful.

Visit's to laythe's surface

0qLCrYp.jpg

yXlKxjf.jpg

and under it thanks to the sub mod

Ug6UDuk.jpg

Now the entry craft. AC 2 ( Laythe aircraft carrier )

BUGfOnC.jpg

wV7BuhR.jpg

Y7a0cDd.jpg

NQRwAro.jpg

I took 8 thier in all to make sure I got all the bugs from the design. each with full set of science stuff 2 rovers 5 hitchhiker cans and 2 cupolas, also sent with them was 8 attack and 8 scout planes and 4 highspeed runabouts.

2 landed on sand the rest water all made down in 1 piece :P

As for some kind of score I will just do the AC2, One of them as there all spaced out to minimise lag. .

.. 50 per body =(5x4)+2x50=1100

5 parts over 1 TN = 50pts... AC2 is still over 200tn once landed & still around 500 parts soooo ( mass'ish only ) 200*50=10,000

2rovers is 400 (plus ac2 itself extra 200 :) 600 + 2 high speed boats (they have wheels 2) 1000

Hitchhiker cans 250 x 5 =1000

Science lab is added after and I think I took 3 to laythe for the AC2 testing ( it cuts the water speed by 15m/s ) 300

Each plane 500 ( fits 4 but only took 2 each ) 1000

Its mobile, it floats and it can be driven- 100, 150, 50 - 300

14700 Not a good score and probably not very accurate

Sorry for not using spoilers they just don’t seem to work for me.

I hope this challenge goes well and lots of people get a new love of laythe out of it :)

Edited by KandoKris

I found the scoring system to be rather cryptic, some are clear, others not so much. I don't know if you mean weights at launch or upon settling for example. I was planning a trip to Laythe anyway so here's a record of that trip if nothing more than to share the experience. I'll let you do the scoring, it's by no means a winning entry. This is a Video entry, portions have been removed to reduce time, capture is of key transitions and burns. There's a slider bar on the bottom, feel free to use it to fast forward and rewind.

Mods used: MechJeb

Edited by Jean Deaux