[1.8-1.12] TextureReplacer 4.5.3 (8.2.2022)

shaw

• 2 weeks later...

Public Service announcement: (sorry if this is out of place)

"unity.webp": What's this? (Unity3d plugin by netpyoung)

Spoiler

This project was based in octo-code/webp-unity3d.

I decided that there should be a simpler way and I created unity.webp, a plugin that helps you to use webp in your Unity3d projects in a clear and easy way and works in iOS, Android, Windows, Linux projects.

Watchout

• currently, not support ios-simulator. but it is easy to add if you have a little effort.

The fast track

All you have to do to start using it in your project:

1. Download this .unitypackage from Release Page, extract its content on your Unity3D Project. It contains the dlls that Unity3d will need to access webp.
  2. You’re done!

Example

If you want to try it I've uploaded a small example that you will be able to find in the example folder. Download the folder and open it with Unity3d to give it a try. It contains classes that will help you to start.

UPM

"com.netpyoung.webp": "https://github.com/netpyoung/unity.webp.git?path=unity_project/Assets/unity.webp#0.1.1"

Acknowledgements

This project is based on the work of:

Etc

Demo

animation.webp

LICENCE

webp

• BSD webp

If you are packing your TR intended release files as PNG STOP! USE WEBP*! (Your DL packs will be MUCH SMALLER & MUCH BETTER QUALITY)

super brief "What is WebP?" in lay-persons (mostly) terms by Spyre Studios

* "Note that Unity doesn't use the original format for anything other than the initial import. Whether you have images in WebP format or TGA or PSD or anything else is irrelevant in the build. The only thing it would have any effect on is project size" - here

* Its quality is near compressed Tiff, at 1/2 the size of same file as PNG

• WebP is vastly higher quality when Lossless Compressed
  • Is supported by "EVERYTHING", including, Texconv(s), the Nvidia texture tool(s), Compressinator(s) & almost ALL FOSS or Paid raster image editors 
  • Has FULL alpha support for transparency and translucency
  • Has FULL animation support
  • The same file is better quality and much smaller than the other "distribution formats": AVIF, BPG & PNG. (about 30% the size, better image quality & compatibility)
  • Converts to PNG at no additional loss (compared to pdn/tiff converted to PNG), plus loads in 1/5 the time (see irfanview info window in pic below)
  • Note: WebP has a "format limitation" of max image size of 16383x16383 (making 16380x16380 the largest POT size dividable by 4)

See here: 4096x4096, 24Bit Max-Q Compare: WebP lossless Compressed (100-Q/Text), PNG lossy Compressed (like always), WebP Un-Compressed (99-Q/Text),

Image note: Its the  4K "kerbalHead Template" remade in Paint.net, from old TRR guide 4096x4096 masters as guide. Info from Irfanview64 

Viewing via: Windows 10 Pro 2020-09-21 current. Paint.net v4.214 w boltbait pack. Irfanview64 v4.54 with 64bit "all plugins pack" (stable), captured with ShareX, upload to Imgur

Universal support: Means Windows (10, current), Mac OS (current), Linux (unsure on kernel inclusion versioning, if any for your distro) have ability to "use/see" format (may need codex, or lib), & that common "raster image editors" can open, edit, save, create as new, export to/from, thumbnail support, etc.

Spoiler

jf2BY3R.png

Here is BPG (8-bit, rgb, Compression: 9, -lossless, Q-51 compressed) in XnView classic (awesome "2nd"/odd format viewer) < encoding this was a pain, but it made a 6021kb jpg (source 98% Q at 4:4:4 compression jpg) into a 65kb file, no loss reported by viewers

• I used an online encoder at make it easy (and to test it) results are good now, i'm limited to 6mb (really 5.89 it seems, uploas tags 0.1mb on somehow), original Q-100 jpg from master is 8552kb (to big for upload, so i assume real encode of OG image would give an 87kb BPG)
  • Finding that Min Q (51),  with -lossless & not Max Q (0), was "lossless compressed" took a few tries
Spoiler

pUrHHUb.png

* png/bpg lossy with alpha regardless, partial support Transparency/Translucency/Animation 

Basically for the formats "smaller" in file size than master Pdn (1258kb) with losing any quality is: compressed Tiff  (in this example about 508kb). After that we get:

1. AVIF: Requires free dev codec, Lossless/Full Alpha support, Photoshop = yes, Paint.net = yes, File size88kb, maintains EXACT aspects of Pdn that Compressed Tiff does, HATED by DXT compression software tested (I tested A LOT of them!)
  2. PNG: Universal support, Lossy/Partial Alpha Support (but enough), Photoshop = yes, Paint.net = yes, File size86kb, maintains only some aspects of Pdn that Compressed Tiff does, works with ALL DXT compression software tested
  3. BPG: Requires free dev codec, Lossy/Partial Alpha Support (but enough), Photoshop = yes (plugin), Paint.net = iffy (custom bpg "alpha plugin"), File size65kb, maintains only a few more aspects of Pdn that Compressed Tiff does over PNG, HATED by DXT compression software, even IF renamed PNG
    * Assume 87kb would be its "true size" of it at Max Q lossless compressed size (i'm doing math from the OG Q-100 jpg image vs the uploaded Q-97 one, I might test on 4:2:2 compression to see if I can atleast compair 2 Max Q images)
  4. WebP: Near universal support, Lossless/Full Alpha Support, Photoshop = yes, Paint.net = yes, File size26kb, maintains ALL aspects of Pdn that Compressed Tiff does, works with ALL DXT compression software tested
    *edit: test removing all alpha, xml, exfi  & meta, data this file as WebP is
    17.9kB! (or 1/5th the size of same image as PNG, even if PNG is 4bit)

* I used an image converter on a jpg & png a to BNG (jpg won btw), support in my preferred program, Paint.net, is currently "alpha support" on this format, via user made plugin . These BNG results might be TOTAL BUNK (according to what I read my results seem to be only close to whats reported here & here)

Example: WebP Uncompressed: Near universal support, Uncompressed Q-99 as "Text"/Full Alpha Support, Photoshop = yes, Paint.net = yes, File size1508kb, maintains EXACT aspects of Pdn that Compressed Tiff does, works with ALL DXT compression software tested, BUT bigger than tiff by 3x soo..no

Conclusion:

WebP easily offers best file size to quality. Even if intended "final format" is PNG, its better to convert WebP to PNG after user DL (in terms of DL pack size)

* svg is not a raster image format, so its not tested (but here it is vs WebP, and everything else web imagey)

If interested I have A detailed write up on it in my "HumanStuff" (my addon release posts got moved to addon dev, I'm fixing NOW) mod wiki article: You can tell I put it together as its formatting in markdown is batpoop insane looking

02. Basics: "Alpha" & Non DDS Image Formats Best Uses - FORMATS, COLOR DEPTH & ALPHA : A Paint.Net Perspective

If you want to see an example of the packaging in use checkout my github

Edited by Guest
added the description of the part that lets webp work... foolish

Yes, new formats need a  long time to come by - people are used to old stuff.

(irony mode on: Unity is always outdated, so it is literally always old stuff :ffo edom ynori)

Like video compression in HEVC aka. x265 - is there for over ten (!) years now but only the last 2 years or so people start using it. Same quality, half the file size. On a 4k video. I mean, come on ...

3 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Thats all well and nice but if a texture is not of a DDS filetype upon game load, Unity converts it to DXT5... so you end up with longer load times and also textures with no need for an alpha channel getting one increasing memory usage.

Hi @Poodmund

I'm not referring to files for use by ksp/unity, but as small distribution files for user editing then, after any desired edits, encoding to DXT1 DXT5 or BC6/BC7.

Its for my template library and its getting HUGE (over 3gb now)

I'm eliminating PGN copies alongside DDS copies, 

I've included instructions, but WebP can be dropped right into a compresser or raster editor, no muss no fuss.

Its the most accessible format across all three OS's, its superior and small than PGN.

I just spent 2 days doing deep comparative tests across possible formats for editing distribution, WebP was best overall from a real world use standpoint,

The game makes PNG's into DXT/BC formats aswell too, correct? So at same image quality why use more than 2x the file size @Poodmund? unless I'm missing an important point

5 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

(irony mode on: Unity is always outdated, so it is literally always old stuff :ffo edom ynori)

Like video compression in HEVC aka. x265 - is there for over ten (!) years now but only the last 2 years or so people start using it. Same quality, half the file size. On a 4k video. I mean, come on ...

Times change.

Most the Guru's that posted this stuff have been silent or gone from 2016 onward. I'm attempting to rekindle that fire, but I'm at a fairly stage of learning.

4 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Because...

In reference to them being loaded in KSP/Unity correct? It shouldnt effect secondary distribution copies for editing?

Like other than being smaller files and higher quality images than PNG with good support?

Sorry to bother you @Poodmund I know you have a better grasp of this than I do. I'm REALLY trying to absorb alot here before everything I'vr had access to since 2012 eventually becomes a dead link fest

(I'm trying to archive everything from departed users but I'm already too late for some :( )

PS: I have archived your own "cubemap for eve" tutorial, awesome stuff

PS: are you familiar with "Paul Smith" of the "Custom Render Volumetric Dust Galaxy" from the ksp v0.2x days?. I can only locate one of his 8k skyboxes in my archives.

His work is STELLAR (lol)

Edited by Guest

14 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

INCASE YOU LIKE MESSING WITH FORMAT COMPARISONS:

I am using: (via paint.net with full plugin pack + BOLTBIT ADDON mostly, XnView classic/XnConvert with full plugin packs and Irfanview64 with full pluginpack

• WebP - Its currently my preferred "small/lossless compressed" format
  • BPG - Its neat, but other formats have superseded it
  • AV1 - WebP's "cousin" and if adoption is ever better maybe competitor, but imho no unless it improves compression
  • HEIC - 100% a mid size format completing for the "new jpeg" title with jxr etc etc
  • As an editing format PDN has exceeded xfc as a file container, its becoming a real PSD alternative (GIMPs main draw is layout/tools and thats quickly being matched or exceeded in paint.net 4.2.x)
  • WebP, HEIC & AV1 are the best current jpeg/png/gif like formats & all have Paint.net support "out of the box" now,

Paint.net also handles: DXT1 to DXT5 all variants (BC's 1/1a 5bc3/nm formats: all types of RBG/SRGB RGBA/SRGBA/HDR Linear, CMYK,  L8/A8) and Block compression (BC) levels 6 & 7 (BC6 & BC7) PLUS Mipmaps, has halo and kaiser window filters with NO PLUGIN NEEDED

Full BC6/BC7 mode support (but auto selected so it can get screwy) gor the modes that KSP's unity version uses

SVG plugins are beta but  I dislike vector formats (well they freak me out, I'm just getting raster formats down)

• BAT is really neat aswell, but support is like...notta on the "FOSS" side, but I think HEIC/HEIF killed it

irony mode on: Unity is always outdated,

Well WebP is a 2010 "new format". As of 2020 it itself is facing competition ... mostly due to its format limit of 16383x16383 images. <<<---- this is why the "newer", at least to most ppl, AV1 & HEIC/HEIF are sneaking up on it (then SVG is a demon, PURE EVIL!)

It is 100% the (A)PNG/GIF replacement in use on most PERSONAL WORDPRESS/JOOMLA WEBSITES! today

It has lossless compression and lossy compression. it losslessly compresses transparency/alpha layers
Plus Animated images, similar to WebM/APNG/GIF (but only webm compares in compression style)

But at size to quality ratio for a 24bit or 32bit image with all the bells and whistles plus ease of access: is for sure WebP.... if you can live with a 16380x16380 or 16383x16383 image size limit

but past that, 16K+, compressed Tiff or PDN/PSD are "pretty small files" too...considering the amount of pixels involved

ps: the largest image I ever planed on was 16K, due to unity, so I can live with a limit on skybox and editing masters of, max, upto 16380x16380 (I want them to be dividable by 4 for safety) as PDN/WebP pairs (24bit 4K lossless WebP images are 18kb, 32bit are 26kb!)

ps2: for clarity, I dont intend WebP files for "use in ksp", I package DDS files for that... but for "use out of KSP" in raster editing programs for the "easy builder" text labeled and layered template library i'm building alongside the PDN "mastercopies"...

but I think this topic might be better discussed in an addon dev thread, not the release one..I didnt intend the topic to run on

Edited by Guest

I love you Texture Replacer!! (dont tell my cat! She already hates my wife): *Note: I'm not the best artist

Spoiler

hHnFnct.png

DARN, I ALWAYS GET THAT ERROR!

I love you so much I gave you 1st billing too......

AND SOME THINGS ARE WORTH READING A FEW THOUSAND CFG'S AND .CS PROJECTS TO FIND.....BUT ONLY SOME THINGS:

Spoiler

l1ow7UZ.jpeg

NOW i'M REALLY HAVING FUN, THAT THE ROUGH LEARNING CURVE IS SHALLOWING OUT

Edited by Guest
SPOILED IMAGES

Once PIGS ruled the HOTTEST "FRESH HEAD", BUT A LACK OF FEMALES CAUSED THEM TO DIE OFF :(

Now they RETURN!, WITH FEMALES:

Spoiler

zdMuDQj.png

Spoiler

YCkfEGe.png

Edited by Guest

Does anyone have any luck getting Texture Replace to "work with" DX10 Headers or BC6h & BC7 dds files?

if use a "standard" DXT1-BC1 to DXT5-BC3 image = fine

If I toss a DX10 header on same image = nope

If I make same image BC6h or BC7 = nope

SHAMELESS PLUG:

I HAVE THESE, STANDARD, VINTAGE & FUTURISTIC, ALL IN 640X480 TO 2560X1440 OPTIMIZED SIZES, AS ANIMATED WEBP'S. if anyone wants

BUMP UPDATED: ANIMATED WEBP SUITS OPTIMIZED TO 4:3 & 16:9 AT 480P TO 1440P (THESE ARE THE 720P OPTIMIZED UNIVERSAL: TRANSPARENT COLOR, SINGLE TABLE, REVERSED LABELED) AVG 388KB SIZE AT 538x720 PIXELS

Human-Stuff-Vintage-Suit-Animated-720.weHuman-Stuff-Standard-Suit-Animated-720.wHuman-Stuff-Future-Suit-Animated-720.web

480, 600, 720, 900, 1080, 1200 (ITS FOR BIG 4:3 or 16:10), 1440 SIZES. 4K & 5K COMING SOON (soon = when I get I 5K AT HOME, I hate using my office/shop monitor BUT ITS HUGE A RES DELL, or its ready/request)

Edited by Guest

On 10/6/2020 at 12:24 PM, infinite_monkey said:

Wait, so with these I kinda could get a preview?

its the "2d to 3d" texture wrapping, colored as the "flat 2d template" is. 

Normals, color maps and the thing they "end up being" RARELY make visual sense, especially to a "learner" ...I'm hand holding to the max...for the 1st "2 weeks of the curve"

the stock image is GIF, and 1 size, so I optimized for every resolution and converted into animated WebP (I would have WebP's babies!)...my 1440p optimized version is 100kb bigger than the "old squad gif" but more then 200% the pixel size. blah blah, webP is awesome under 16K (cause it cant do 16K)

to "make one" i need to "remake" a kerbal in blender...then dress him up and make him dance (export to animate webp)

But I did it the easy way...I text labeled all the color maps for the texture library in the Easy Builder Workshop. 

I even test on a atom z8300 with 2gb ddr3, a 32gb nand flash (plus 64gb sd card) and intel HD 5300 "MINI PC" to ensure ANYONE can do it

Edited by Guest
PICS

Is there a way to apply the reflection we used to have in previous version, for helmet visor but more especially on cockpit glass ?

I really loved this feature ! I'm using ReStock but could eventually get rid off if it helps, even if I would be glad to use both at the same time.

I'm also using TextureUnlimited to get shiny parts, I don't know if it could be an incompatibility ?

Thanks in advance !

umm I've been looking around for the "other texture pack" modders. I'm getting freaked out ... I see mega modders like the "big mod" teams (RO/RSS) and utility tool/etc modders like @linuxgurugamer

What happened to all the TR suit, heads and skybox ppl? is something happening to the modder player base? (migrating to new title?)

I look for skyboxes

umm @Oinker @Proot seem to have been absent over a year. (ALMOST ALL @Oinker's skybox uploads are going "dead linked" or file no longer present 

Suits:

@Scart91 seems to have stopped checking in the forum yearly in 2018...

Planets/clouds @Galileo hasnt been here for 6 months, most links are "dead"

"parts" and Tutorial videos on making some.....

looks like @RoverDude is still stopping by. but no more content on twitch/yt? REMOVED???

THEN SOME LUCK

OP is missing a few packs: by @GregroxMun he is very good.

this one: is posted in thread but not linked in OP

https://spacedock.info/mod/2030/Gregrox's Multi Color Suit Pack 2.0

The spiritual successor to GregroxMun's Colored IVA/EVA Suits, the Multi Color Suit Pack is a stockalike set of space suit textures for TextureReplacer which adds recolored versions of the space suits which match the Veteran space suit texture.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Aazard said:

umm I've been looking around for the "other texture pack" modders. I'm getting freaked out ... I see mega modders like the "big mod" teams (RO/RSS) and utility tool/etc modders like @linuxgurugamer

2 hours ago, Cattette said:

@Aazard some day you're going to lose interest in being a part of this community. Abandoned mods and inactive creators are to be expected in any type of community like this.

Which is why I adopt so many mods.  

On 10/10/2020 at 8:08 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Which is why I adopt so many mods.  

I understand the loss of interest in various projects.

My "real" concern is the "in depth video tutorials", mega threads not happening, etc.

If I be really honest, am I bright...maybe....am I original (almost never): I tend to rely on "standing on the back of giants"..

Maybe I was panicking, Once I found the back posted TR thread was fairly "sparse"  on releases of packs of late... I thought I might say something and see who popped up

I'm exhausted for a day or 2 after this, PLEASE UNLEASH THE POWER OF TEXTUREREPLACER, WITH HUMANSTUFF EASY BUILDER WORKSHOP

*>Version 2.0.1 "Vector" Promo Video<*

Spoiler

Edited by Guest

Does anyone have the stock suit textures in hand so I can customize them with TR?

I'd appreciate it if a kind soul spared me grabbing and learning some Unity assets extractor to dive into who knows which file to extract the textures myself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.