[1.8-1.12] TextureReplacer 4.5.3 (8.2.2022)

shaw

TRReflection module causes Airlock and Ladder to become surface attachable in Editor. Also causes Airlock to become unclickable in Flight, trapping kerbals in parts without IVA.

no error messages in output_log.txt; tested with clean install with TextureReplacer 2.2.3 and ModuleManager 2.5.9, using sample module in readme file applied to stock Mk1-2 pod.

A heads up on memory handling of KSP:

In the past (tested with 0.24), it seemed to be possible to use texturereplacer to replace textures from squad's asset files (which is what texturereplacer does) with downscaled versions, since some of the assets use overly large textures. KSP would then purge the replaced textures from memory, so that overall memory consumption would go down.

As of 0.90, since seems to no longer happen. Any "replaced" textures are not actually replaced - the original squad textures remain in VMEM, but the new ones are used instead of the originals (so, total memory usage will actually go UP instead of down). I tested this 5 times, by alternating between downscaled assets and no replacements - the results were constant and 300 MBs in difference.

A heads up on memory handling of KSP:

In the past (tested with 0.24), it seemed to be possible to use texturereplacer to replace textures from squad's asset files (which is what texturereplacer does) with downscaled versions, since some of the assets use overly large textures. KSP would then purge the replaced textures from memory, so that overall memory consumption would go down.

As of 0.90, since seems to no longer happen. Any "replaced" textures are not actually replaced - the original squad textures remain in VMEM, but the new ones are used instead of the originals (so, total memory usage will actually go UP instead of down). I tested this 5 times, by alternating between downscaled assets and no replacements - the results were constant and 300 MBs in difference.

Could you test this TextureReplacer.dll?

I've changed the way how textures are unloaded since KSP 0.24 because I thought the old way didn't work. This DLL unloads textures in both ways.

- - - Updated - - -

TRReflection module causes Airlock and Ladder to become surface attachable in Editor. Also causes Airlock to become unclickable in Flight, trapping kerbals in parts without IVA.

no error messages in output_log.txt; tested with clean install with TextureReplacer 2.2.3 and ModuleManager 2.5.9, using sample module in readme file applied to stock Mk1-2 pod.

I guess the problem is with shaders. The reflective shaders used are from Unity, not from KSP. Try to install Reflective Plugin alongside TR and use its shaders. However, I can't find any documentation nor source code for those, not even a list of shaders that come with RP. Try shaders from those list, I hope I correctly guessed the names of shaders by reverse engineering the DLL:

Reflective/Bumped Unlit
Reflective/Bumped Specular
Reflective/Bumped VertexLit
Reflective/Bumped Diffuse
Reflective/Diffuse
Reflective/Specular
Reflective/Parallax Diffuse
Reflective/Parallax Specular
Reflective/VertexLit
Starwaster/Bumped Specular

Could you test this TextureReplacer.dll?

I've changed the way how textures are unloaded since KSP 0.24 because I thought the old way didn't work. This DLL unloads textures in both ways.

Sure, will do in about a day - just ordered more RAM, because i'd like to avoid my other apps terminating in unplanned ways.

One infobit by the way - i can only test this reliably up to entering the space center. As soon as one loads a game, KSP or some of my mods start leaking memory, so i basically have to go straight where i want to test ASAP - by the time i get inflight, values would already have too much error margin.

Edited by rynak

They just work for me out of the box. What kind of video card do you have??

Was thinking about video cards too, ATI 5900 series iirc, Either way you probably have nvidia right?

Edit : Was just thinking, Would check myself but i just got everything set up after like a week, and meh, lol. Do you have ingame anti aliasing enabled with open gl?

Edited by Subcidal

I'm running an Nvidia 970 and the real reflections work for me in OpenGL but they seem to not update after they initially load (yes I am waiting many many frames before expecting an update). The box for the reflections is all there and that works correctly, but as I move away from a lander if I turn around, the reflection in the Kerbal's helmet is still as if they were at the door.

Nvidia GTX 670 here. Reflections work just fine in OpenGL, with no errors at all that I've noticed.

They update fine, too - there's a noticeable delay, but it's not bad and the performance is just fine. As I don't plan on spending huge amounts of time staring at my kerbals' visors, I don't want to start messing around with update timings and potentially screw things up.

I guess the problem is with shaders. The reflective shaders used are from Unity, not from KSP. Try to install Reflective Plugin alongside TR and use its shaders. However, I can't find any documentation nor source code for those, not even a list of shaders that come with RP. Try shaders from those list, I hope I correctly guessed the names of shaders by reverse engineering the DLL:

Reflective/Bumped Unlit
Reflective/Bumped Specular
Reflective/Bumped VertexLit
Reflective/Bumped Diffuse
Reflective/Diffuse
Reflective/Specular
Reflective/Parallax Diffuse
Reflective/Parallax Specular
Reflective/VertexLit
Starwaster/Bumped Specular

I checked each shader in the list on mk1-2 pod. the same thing occurs with all of them. maybe it's something the part module?

Was thinking about video cards too, ATI 5900 series iirc, Either way you probably have nvidia right?

Edit : Was just thinking, Would check myself but i just got everything set up after like a week, and meh, lol. Do you have ingame anti aliasing enabled with open gl?

Yep Nvidia. The in-game antialiasing options don't work so they have to be setup as an override in the Nvidia control panel.

You made me chuckle =) Well i tried my best to give info of what i had changed

reflectionResolution = 512

// Number of frames between reflection updates for a part. Only one face of

// the environment map is updated at once, so 6 updates are necessary for full

// update.

reflectionInterval = 2

Tried that?

Tried that?

Well, I was actually expecting Shaw to take a bit more interest given that he said he had tried and failed to get them to work, and apparently you managed to - somehow. So I didn't bother trying your suggestion since I couldn't imagine how upping the texture resolution would do anything but what the hell, I'll give it a try.

tjuEsNU.png

Nope. But hey, I do like the higher-quality reflections and don't notice any performance impact.

What graphics card are you using?

Anyone have issues with the latest update on the menu screen? The skybox and kerbin are all messed up. Using Astronomers packs. Once you load in to the game though it's fine.

Also, as of the update before this last one the parts that are replaced in the stock parts to add reflections don't work. There's no reflections when used with Ven's. I imagine because he replaces some stuff, but it did work two updates ago with Ven's. Any ideas?

Anyone have issues with the latest update on the menu screen? The skybox and kerbin are all messed up. Using Astronomers packs. Once you load in to the game though it's fine.

Having the same issue since the lastest update. Using Astronomers pack aswell. Skybox and the Kerbal Space Program title are blacked out, While kerbin has odd overlaying textures on it. All is fine once in game.

ahappydude can you please post a photo of your reflections with the altimeter showing you are below 160km? I can get clouds to show in my reflections I've found, but only above 160km when the terrain goes away

My grap card is radeon r7 200, did you change your intervall in cfg to? Sure i gladely do that, maybe i can post my tr folder to.

Here is mine

http://www.filedropper.com/texturereplacer

Edited by ahappydude

I came acrose a set of 8K planet textures but they were from the old Universe replacer mod, so I was wondering what the file setup needs to look like in the default file so texture replacer will recognize them as planet textures. Thanks Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.