[1.8-1.12] TextureReplacer 4.5.3 (8.2.2022)

shaw

I cant seem to get Texture Replacer working on 1.0.4, im trying to get a Skybox working but every time i put it in and load nothing changes am i doing something wrong?, im trying to use Oinkers Skybox so i put the files into Default and into EnvMap, load into game and nothing has changed, iv tryed using Astronomers Visual Pack v2 Skyboxes too and they don't seem to work either

I cant seem to get Texture Replacer working on 1.0.4, i'm trying to get a Skybox working but every time i put it in and load, nothing changes. Am i doing something wrong?

Sounds like you've got the right idea. My best guess is there is a misspelling in the folders or an extra folder was created during extraction. Verify:

Kerbal Space Program\GameData\TextureReplacer\Default\GalaxyTex_PositiveX

(...and the rest of the GalaxyTex files. It is case-sensitive) The envmap files are unnecessary unless you want to turn off the TR Reflection module (it's on by default nowadays).

I always wanted to make use of Texture Replacer in my "mini-mods" but I was always put off by the fact that everything needs to be put in the GameData/TextureReplacer folder.

I don't know if you are open to feature requests, I'm going to put the idea out there just in case :)

would it be possible to make TR decide which textures to replace by reading a modulemanager node?

something like:

TextureReplacer
{
Texture
{
source = Default/stockTexture
replacement = GameData/MyMod/Textures/newTexture
}
Texture
{
source = GameData/YourMod/Textures/yourTexture
replacement = GameData/MyMod/Textures/myTexture
}
}

this is just an example, It can probably be improved on. but the general idea is there :)

Edited by Sigma88

Can someone help me figure out how to suppress certain mods in my GameData folder from being accessed by this mod? I'm pretty sure that there's an incompatibility problem that stems from a Toolbar button icon that is not in a resolution that is an even power of 2 (not 4x4, 8x8, 16x16, etc) and I say this because KSP crashes during load when it reaches those mods. I can resize the icons myself, of course, but I'd like to know how to set up a "do not interact" .cfg for TextureReplacer.

Can anyone help?

I guess you have issues with mipmaps. Make sure your textures are not included in `generateMipmaps`. Even better idea is to convert them to DDS format, since DDS textures cannot be touched (but some mods are not able to load DDS icons).

I always wanted to make use of Texture Replacer in my "mini-mods" but I was always put off by the fact that everything needs to be put in the GameData/TextureReplacer folder.

I don't know if you are open to feature requests, I'm going to put the idea out there just in case :)

would it be possible to make TR decide which textures to replace by reading a modulemanager node?

something like:

TextureReplacer
{
Texture
{
source = Default/stockTexture
replacement = GameData/MyMod/Textures/newTexture
}
Texture
{
source = GameData/YourMod/Textures/yourTexture
replacement = GameData/MyMod/Textures/myTexture
}
}

this is just an example, It can probably be improved on. but the general idea is there :)

I'll think about that, but probably I'd implement it in a different (simpler) way.

I guess you have issues with mipmaps. Make sure your textures are not included in `generateMipmaps`. Even better idea is to convert them to DDS format, since DDS textures cannot be touched (but some mods are not able to load DDS icons).

I'll think about that, but probably I'd implement it in a different (simpler) way.

Sure! Mine was just a quick example... I'm glad you're open to the idea :)

Thanks

Hello, I'm using my old small laptop on travel and want to play KSP sometimes. I have already decreased all the settings to the lowest ones and still want to make it smoother by decreasing the textures. With that mod, how can I do it? I just want to decrease all the textures, I'm not insterested in reflections, kerbals without helmet etc.

Hello, I'm using my old small laptop on travel and want to play KSP sometimes. I have already decreased all the settings to the lowest ones and still want to make it smoother by decreasing the textures. With that mod, how can I do it? I just want to decrease all the textures, I'm not insterested in reflections, kerbals without helmet etc.

This mod cannot help you. And unless you use some hi-res textures, decreasing texture quality has usually negligible impact on performance. Buying a new machine is probably your only option.

Working on making a movable, poseable Mort for a scene in my comic. It worked reasonably well to paste his suit into the IVA map. However, does anyone know an easy way to get rid of the helmet ring? (e.g. make it invisible, etc)

XKCV7F7.png

Any help appreciated and you'll be making Kerbfleet comics better -- thanks!

Working on making a movable, poseable Mort for a scene in my comic. It worked reasonably well to paste his suit into the IVA map. However, does anyone know an easy way to get rid of the helmet ring? (e.g. make it invisible, etc)

http://i.imgur.com/XKCV7F7.png

Any help appreciated and you'll be making Kerbfleet comics better -- thanks!

I may not be the most indicated to answer this (I barely know enough to answer to a noobie, what about to answer to you..), but is it possible to make the texture transparent on that point?

I may not be the most indicated to answer this (I barely know enough to answer to a noobie, what about to answer to you..), but is it possible to make the texture transparent on that point?
That should work--but I guess I'm such a GIMP noob I don't know how to make those regions of the texture transparent :) Maybe if someone can point me to a texture .png that has a transparent part, or even post one that has those collar sections transparentized and I can copy/paste them onto mine? Thanks for the response!

That should work--but I guess I'm such a GIMP noob I don't know how to make those regions of the texture transparent :) Maybe if someone can point me to a texture .png that has a transparent part, or even post one that has those collar sections transparentized and I can copy/paste them onto mine? Thanks for the response!

I add transparency in GIMP using the "Layer>Transparency>Color to alpha" command. You just color the desired section with some solid color (that isn't used elsewhere in the image). Then you convert that color to transparency using that command. Hope that helps. I don't know how KSP or Unity handle a transparent texture on a part, but I'm curious.

Nope... the parts are definitely transparent but there is something black underneath which looks even worse than the helmet collar:

http://i.imgur.com/eqngpU3.png

...so unless there's a mod to remove the shape under the texture, I think I'm stuck with the collar. Oh well!

Making texture transparent doesn't make a part transparent unless a transparent shader is used to render that part. Kerbals use specular bumpmapped shader, so texture transparency defines specularity factor rather than transparency. And even if you make it transparent, you probably won't get the desired effect. The part of body covered by the collar will also disappear unless the collar vertices are rendered last in the body mesh, but that's fairly unlikely.

Removing the collar from the mesh isn't easy. Maybe even impossible. Kerbals' body mesh is not readable (it's unloaded fom RAM), so you can't change it. There might be some trick to re-load it from games assets as readable, but I don't know how to do that nor have time to try to make such mod.

Been playing around with normals map for the mail kerbal head and thought I'd share what I came up with so far along with the GIMP files I put together to do them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/seqkmvdieh9npif/KerbalFaceLift.zip?dl=0

Just put the 2 .dds files in both "Default" and "Heads" folders in the "TextureReplacer" folder and all kerbals (male and female get Teeth and a throat. Male kerbals also get ears and a nose. If you have other kerbal head textures, they will replace the colored texture and if you have any other xxxxNRM.dds files, they will provide the texture for those heads. These maps will only show for heads that don't have a matching NRM.dds file.

Do with as you like with these within Squads limits since the color maps are created using their stock files.

When is the update coming for 1.0.5? I cant click any KSC Buildings

That's not an issue with this mod as far as I can tell, I just tested with 1.0.5 and just TR installed.

it's working fine and all the buildings are accessible.

I do use the -force-d3d11 tag though, maybe that makes a difference.

IVA Navball now have a glow texture ( IVANavBall_Glow.dds )... I made a custom one and placed it at the default folder, But Texture Replacer did not replaced it... :P

Navball textures are not replaced like other textures, but handled separately.

I've been playing around with normal maps for kerbal heads and I noticed that it only applies to crew kerbals. The ones in the popup windows at the start of a new game, and at the buildings don't get it. I'm guessing the game is hard coded to texture them differently? It does work for the floaty kerbals at the main menu

That's not an issue with this mod as far as I can tell, I just tested with 1.0.5 and just TR installed.

it's working fine and all the buildings are accessible.

I do use the -force-d3d11 tag though, maybe that makes a difference.

Working for me fine as well, and I'm using "-single-instance -force-opengl -popupwindow"

Edited by Tekener