[1.8-1.12] TextureReplacer 4.5.3 (8.2.2022)

shaw

@Fwiffo Reflections are generated all the time for all loaded parts on scene. If they weren't you wouldn't see reflection for a few seconds after leaving the map view and didn't think they could deteriorate performance so much, based on my experience and feedback.

Maybe OpenGL or DX11 is causing the trouble. Try to increase interval for generating reflections (reflectionInterval) in config files (@Defaults.cfg wil get overriden on each update so I recommend putting all custom settings in a separate *.cfg file that has same format as @Defaults.cfg but only includes settings that need to be overriden). Then, try to reduce reflectionResolution (it must be a power of two!).

37 minutes ago, shaw said:

@Fwiffo Reflections are generated all the time for all loaded parts on scene. If they weren't you wouldn't see reflection for a few seconds after leaving the map view and didn't think they could deteriorate performance so much, based on my experience and feedback.

Maybe OpenGL or DX11 is causing the trouble. Try to increase interval for generating reflections (reflectionInterval) in config files (@Defaults.cfg wil get overriden on each update so I recommend putting all custom settings in a separate *.cfg file that has same format as @Defaults.cfg but only includes settings that need to be overriden). Then, try to reduce reflectionResolution (it must be a power of two!).

Hi @shaw, thanks for getting back to me.  I tried reflectionResolution = 64 and reflectionInterval = 8.  It's still pretty stuttery.  Particularly when you zoom close into a visor then try to pan around with the left/right arrows, and in map mode.  Is there any way I can turn on more verbose log output to confirm I change the cfg's correctly and it's actually using the new values?

Could you do me a favour and see if you can recreate this using the -force-d3d11 switch and the savegame in my original post?  Once you've loaded the save just switch to any of the kerbals on the Mun.

Edited by Fwiffo

21 hours ago, jlcarneiro said:

Since, we apparently won't have a "veteran-like" head for Valentina, how do I exclude her head (the default female head) from being used to generic female kerbals?

I think you only add the female heads in the config you want to use and the default just does not get used?

// Female heads. Texture names inside `Heads/` (without extensions).
    // The list must be space- and/or comma-separated and in one line.
    // Duplicated lists are joined.
    femaleHeads = kerbalGirl1 kerbalGirl2 kerbalGirl3 kerbalGirl4 kerbalGirl5 kerbalGirl6 kerbalGirl7 kerbalGirl8 kerbalGirl9 Headf1 Headf2 Headf3 Headf4 Headf5

Edited by KerbMav

3 hours ago, KerbMav said:

I think you only add the female heads in the config you want to use and the default just does not get used?

// Female heads. Texture names inside `Heads/` (without extensions).
    // The list must be space- and/or comma-separated and in one line.
    // Duplicated lists are joined.
    femaleHeads = kerbalGirl1 kerbalGirl2 kerbalGirl3 kerbalGirl4 kerbalGirl5 kerbalGirl6 kerbalGirl7 kerbalGirl8 kerbalGirl9 Headf1 Headf2 Headf3 Headf4 Headf5

Hmmm, if so, we already have an exclusive head for Valentina?

That is great news!

On 10/12/2015 15:37:32, jlcarneiro said:

Folks, has anyone tried to create a custom head (more "veteran-like") to Valentina? Kind of what somebody (I think it was Proot) did to Jeb, Bill and Bob eons ago?

I tried to contact him, but was not successful (real life can be merciless sometimes)...

Was reading this and you surprised me... I've checked my inbox. Is completely true. Sorry for the non response, I've missed that message: I'm deeply focused on my works and in KSPRC in my free time.
Anyways, I'm on it, doing my own Valentina and "standard" females. My Valentina will be based on my own design, released previous the stock one and based on the real Tereshkova.

On 12/12/2015 17:35:00, shaw said:

I also find the fps issue with the reflections lately. But I'm so in love with them...

Could be caused by the reflections trying to re-create the new EVE effects? the particles can be very heavy for TRreflections maybe?

Could be the plugin optimised in the future using the same reflection cube for all the parts in a scene? (or maybe this must be "per part" to be enough accurate?)

42 minutes ago, Proot said:

Was reading this and you surprised me... I've checked my inbox. Is completely true. Sorry for the non response, I've missed that message: I'm deeply focused on my works and in KSPRC in my free time.
Anyways, I'm on it, doing my own Valentina and "standard" females. My Valentina will be based on my own design, released previous the stock one and based on the real Tereshkova.

That design is great! I think it gave Val some age (she should be a vet, after all) with grace and so different from common custom heads as the other big three!

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Proot said:

I also find the fps issue with the reflections lately. But I'm so in love with them...

Could be caused by the reflections trying to re-create the new EVE effects? the particles can be very heavy for TRreflections maybe?

Could be the plugin optimised in the future using the same reflection cube for all the parts in a scene? (or maybe this must be "per part" to be enough accurate?)

Yes, the whole scene is recreated, including the clouds (if you see them). I only include layers that are necessary to render all terrain (and buildings), parts, skybox, scaledspace bodies and engine flames/jets, so excluding EVE effects in a no-go, it will certainly also disable rendering of either of previously mentioned things.

Reflections must me per part, otherwise the "optimisation" could be easily noticed. E.g. seeing yourself in a reflection or missing/wrongly positioned nearby building and parts.

35 minutes ago, shaw said:

Yes, the whole scene is recreated, including the clouds (if you see them). I only include layers that are necessary to render all terrain (and buildings), parts, skybox, scaledspace bodies and engine flames/jets, so excluding EVE effects in a no-go, it will certainly also disable rendering of either of previously mentioned things.

Reflections must me per part, otherwise the "optimisation" could be easily noticed. E.g. seeing yourself in a reflection or missing/wrongly positioned nearby building and parts.

So can't be reflected the default/stock sky or without the EVE particles (just the 2d clouds)?
Anyways the sky reflections with the new EVE appears broken, so reflecting the default sky maybe could boost the performance and improve the final appearance?

Edited by Proot
edited

Sky is not reflected currently, only (galaxy) skybox. That's why it's black. I only have the minimal set of layers enabled. If I disable the layer containing clouds some other (crucial) thing will also get disabled.

I was noticing in making WindowShine that the entire surface of every part was reflective. It's just that every face except the windows have an almost invisible alpha channel. - Would there be any way to make reflections only apply to faces with an alpha channel above a certain percentage? This might optimize.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

2 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

I was noticing in making WindowShine that the entire surface of every part was reflective. It's just that every face except the windows have an almost invisible alpha channel. - Would there be any way to make reflections only apply to faces with an alpha channel above a certain percentage? This might optimize.

Even if you get the reflection applied only over the alpha "spaces" (which I think is not possible, because the reflection works over a concrete mesh and then its just showed -or not- based on the alpha channel in the texture), the performance hit will be the same: the real deal is that the plugin creates a cubemap of the scene in a determined size, every determined margin of time.
That is the "reflection" applied. There is when the plugin must do the hard work.
So if we have, as example, a capsule and pair of solar panels, using 64px reflections refreshed every 2 seconds... the plugin must recreate a cube map (6 images of 64x64px) of the scene that you are seeing, for every part, every 2 seconds. So, if the scene is very complex / the resolution in the reflections is big / the refresh rate is too short: the performance will be affected, obviously.

Given that fact, the plugin has been working amazingly well. I'm just being a hateable perfectionist about the performance hit, lol.

Hi, everyone. I have made a new skybox for TextureReplacer. It has three galaxies and one star cluster. I made this with Space Engine's skybox tool. I also edited it a bit by adding galaxies.

Hope you enjoy. :)

So, here's some screenshots of it:

DOWNLOAD

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Hey guys, I am having trouble with reflections, I have no idea how to get them to work, I am playing a heavily modded game and have run into many other game-breaking issues and this is very minor in comparison but I would love it to work. The gui works in game and I have a skybox (raredens 8k) installed which also works but I just cant figure out the reflections, is there something i could have switched off?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ps. I also have opengl forced and dont use ATM if that makes any difference.

Edit: I tried a fresh install using CKAN for the first time and it seemed to work, I guess I somehow installed it wrong.

Edited by TheDavinator
Solved

On 12/21/2015 at 6:40 AM, Markus1002 said:

Hi, everyone. I have made a new skybox for TextureReplacer. It has three galaxies and one star cluster. I made this with Space Engine's skybox tool. I also edited it a bit by adding galaxies.

Hope you enjoy. :)

So, here's some screenshots of it:

DOWNLOAD

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

I am using this skybox, and it looks completely and utterly beautiful! One of the best skyboxes available!

Notes: This response is highly opinionated

Edited by LaytheDragon

• 2 weeks later...