[1.8-1.12] TextureReplacer 4.5.3 (8.2.2022)

shaw

On 9/16/2018 at 8:42 AM, Pointblank66 said:

How do I apply the skybox textures made by Poodmund?

You got to rename them and put them here:

Kerbal Space Program\GameData\TextureReplacer\Default

You rename them:

GalaxyTex_PositiveX         
GalaxyTex_NegativeX         
GalaxyTex_PositiveY         
GalaxyTex_NegativeY         
GalaxyTex_PositiveZ         
GalaxyTex_NegativeZ        

You should know which ones to rename by the old names.

So, after seeing the little "hanger" icon with Making History installed, I went looking and found both this mod and a set of Star Trek outfits for the kerbals built for an old version of it. "Perfect, if it works" I thought. The ST-TOS outfit colors map pretty darn well to Pilot/Scientist/Engineer and make for great recognition, as well as fun.

Oddly, though, it only partly works. Valentina and rescuees (including one that I'd swapped to the stock alternate suit and one I hadn't) get their proper uniform colors, but Jeb, Bob, and Bill don't - they all get Science blue. I tried using the hanger to make KSP think they'd swapped, but it didn't fix it. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello one and all,

I am attempting to resurrect KSP with a brand new install after a long time away (I think 1.0.5 was my last game) and confess that after trawling through this thread I am a little confused about the state of things in regard to this mod, identified issues below.

- The mod appeared to cease development and be replaced by TextureReplacerReplaced, but this currently claims compatibility for KSP 1.4.x whilst the replacement is on 1.3.1. Whats up with that, I'm assuming this is still the place to be? What are the difference between them.

- At some point the female kerbal model appears to have changed meaning that any old female textures I have probably won't work. I think I'm clear on this.

- There's a lot of fuss about reflections, do these work? Or are they still the mess the thread makes them appear to be? Are the optional?

- PNG or DDS? I think DDS was preferred last time I was around but I've seen some suggestions that perhaps PNG is back in favour?

- I've seem some suggestion that textures with clouds are no longer necessary due to the mods that actually add clouds, like Scatterer. Are these mods in general use these days? I seem to remember them being buggy and memory hungry when I was last around. 

- Lastly I have the old planet textures I was using that I can;t seem to find linked anywhere. I think they're the best textures I've seen and should be available but I'm afraid I have no idea who did them originally and doubt I'd be allowed to redistribute them . As a sample here are the textures for Jool and Laythe if anyone can help me identify them.

https://imgur.com/hfXEflR

https://imgur.com/MZ38fom

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by Bishop149

@shawI believe this mod would need a update. Probably due to the new IVA and EVA suit and relations. I did test it in 1.5 and TR settings in the Space Center scene, the selected Kerbals don't show all the image files for the suits. I think the bottom two show. 

I believe this may be this mod too, but sometimes on a EVA, even on land a certain Kerbal head will be invisible, only his eyes and lips show. This Kerbal invisible head will be there until this mod is removed. 

8 hours ago, therealcrow999 said:

@shawI believe this mod would need a update. Probably due to the new IVA and EVA suit and relations. I did test it in 1.5 and TR settings in the Space Center scene, the selected Kerbals don't show all the image files for the suits. I think the bottom two show. 

I believe this may be this mod too, but sometimes on a EVA, even on land a certain Kerbal head will be invisible, only his eyes and lips show. This Kerbal invisible head will be there until this mod is removed. 

Can confirm, seeing it as well. It seems like developers renamed some of the files and structural elements on kerbal's body during the revamp process, if I had to guess. 

On 10/15/2018 at 4:53 PM, Gordon Dry said:

I use TR 3.2.0.0 with the shaders.windows from TRR that was named "temporary fix for the pink visor reflections in 1.4.2" and I don't find that anymore - I guess the post was edited ...

But it works, no pink visors.

@Gordon Dry Ha, ok now I've nit the same issue!

How do you apply this in Texture replacer? I found the post in the TRR thread: 

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/161898-131texturereplacerreplaced-v054/&do=findComment&comment=3335396

22 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Is there a way to keep the stock skins for kerbals by default? I guess that can be done by excluding all skins provided by TR in the '@Default.cfg' but I wonder if there is a more comfortable way to do it?

If your talking about the head skins, just delete the TR folder in the Skins folder. The TR folder has all the custom faces in there. Easy as that :)

All that goes in certain Texture Replacer folder, tells Texture Replacer to replace the Stock game with those ones, if they are name right. In which Texture Replacer recognizes. If those files aren't in those directories, then nothing get used. So the TR folder in the Skins Folder is Shaw providing us with free Kerbal heads, but they can be easily removed by the steps I provided above. 

Have fun!

Edited by therealcrow999

1 minute ago, therealcrow999 said:

If your talking about the head skins, just delete the TR folder in the Skins folder. The TR folder has all the custom faces in there. Easy as that :)

All that goes in certain Texture Replacer folder, tells Texture Replacer to replace the Stock game with those ones, if they are name right. In which Texture Replacer recognizes. If those files aren't in those directories, then nothing doesn't get used. So the TR folder in the Skins Folder is Shaw providing us with free Kerbal heads, but they can be easily removed by the steps I provided above. 

Have fun!

Well, that's indeed pretty easy^^

On 10/15/2018 at 4:55 PM, Bishop149 said:

Hello one and all,

I am attempting to resurrect KSP with a brand new install after a long time away (I think 1.0.5 was my last game) and confess that after trawling through this thread I am a little confused about the state of things in regard to this mod, identified issues below.

1. The mod appeared to cease development and be replaced by TextureReplacerReplaced, but this currently claims compatibility for KSP 1.4.x whilst the replacement is on 1.3.1. Whats up with that, I'm assuming this is still the place to be? What are the difference between them.

2. At some point the female kerbal model appears to have changed meaning that any old female textures I have probably won't work. I think I'm clear on this.

3. There's a lot of fuss about reflections, do these work? Or are they still the mess the thread makes them appear to be? Are the optional?

4. PNG or DDS? I think DDS was preferred last time I was around but I've seen some suggestions that perhaps PNG is back in favour?

5. I've seem some suggestion that textures with clouds are no longer necessary due to the mods that actually add clouds, like Scatterer. Are these mods in general use these days? I seem to remember them being buggy and memory hungry when I was last around. 

6. Lastly I have the old planet textures I was using that I can;t seem to find linked anywhere. I think they're the best textures I've seen and should be available but I'm afraid I have no idea who did them originally and doubt I'd be allowed to redistribute them . As a sample here are the textures for Jool and Laythe if anyone can help me identify them.

https://imgur.com/hfXEflR

https://imgur.com/MZ38fom

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. I ceased to develop TR for a few years. First, @RangeMachine took over maintenance, then TRR was forked. This year I ocassionally started playing KSP again, I didn't like TRR, the direction where it went, so I finally updated TR.

2. Yes, now there are proper female models, TR 3.0 drops `legacyFemales` option for using re-texures males in place of females, so female textures must be changed to fit on the new models.

3. They work. At least for me.

4. Nothing changes. DDS if possible. PNG should only be used when you need texture pixels to remain loaded in RAM, because texture needs to be dynamically changed in runtime or something.

I released TR 3.3. It should fix issues with KSP 1.5. but it also comes with some significant changes. First, old suits are not compatible any more; they are mapped to models differently and both body and helmet are contained in a single texture now. Furthermore, the same normal map is used for both IVA and EVA suit. The affected textures' names also changed, but I still maintain old names for compatibility and to enable one to use different normal maps for IVA and EVA (but the new texture names will work, too).

The new texture names are not specified in README, so here they are:

• orangeSuite_diffuse (the veteran IVA suit)
  • orangeSuite_normal (normal map for both IVA and EVA suits)
  • paleBlueSuite_diffuse (sandard, non-veteran IVA suit)
  • whiteSuite_diffuse (EVA suit)
Visor and jetpack texture names are unchanged.

I removed feature to remove IVA helmets in safe sitations, because it was much easier than fixing it :) and because this feature is not of much use now when all stock pods (and all non-stock I tried) hide IVA helmets anyway.

I also released source for the head textures distributed with TR, if anyone wants to make their own faces. They are based on Sylith's heads and Diverse Kerbal Heads: https://github.com/ducakar/TextureReplacer-pack

2 hours ago, shaw said:

I released TR 3.3. It should fix issues with KSP 1.5. but it also comes with some significant changes. First, old suits are not compatible any more; they are mapped to models differently and both body and helmet are contained in a single texture now. Furthermore, the same normal map is used for both IVA and EVA suit. The affected textures' names also changed, but I still maintain old names for compatibility and to enable one to use different normal maps for IVA and EVA (but the new texture names will work, too).

The new texture names are not specified in README, so here they are:

• orangeSuite_diffuse (the veteran IVA suit)
  • orangeSuite_normal (normal map for both IVA and EVA suits)
  • paleBlueSuite_diffuse (sandard, non-veteran IVA suit)
  • whiteSuite_diffuse (EVA suit)
Visor and jetpack texture names are unchanged.

I removed feature to remove IVA helmets in safe sitations, because it was much easier than fixing it :) and because this feature is not of much use now when all stock pods (and all non-stock I tried) hide IVA helmets anyway.

I also released source for the head textures distributed with TR, if anyone wants to make their own faces. They are based on Sylith's heads and Diverse Kerbal Heads: https://github.com/ducakar/TextureReplacer-pack

Thanks for the update. KIS allows removal of helmet, so that's not a problem.

I use you mod mostly for skybox, and was adding my old orange EVA suits, I am in high hopes Squad will add in orange EVA suits for Vets. Anyways thanks again.

@shawDo you recall what heads you were using for, Jebediah Kerman, Bill Kerman, Bob Kerman  and Valentina Kerman in 3.2. I want to use them but I don't know what number heads to use. Thanks.

I don't know, it seemed in 3.2 Jeb had a mustache and now he has beard stubble, but they have same texture head as in 3.3. 

Edited by therealcrow999

Well I guess 3.3 is fixed it, must of been some weird bug in 3.2 or it could of me having the setting on screwed in a 3.2 game. Anyways, I found the head from 3.2 for Jeb, it was Male26. Thanks for adding in the TR.cfg, helps out a lot. I guess you can disregard the post above. 

Edited by therealcrow999

Started trying to take some of the older skins and adapt them to the newer version. Bob was supposed to have a mustache but because I saved as a PNG file instead of a DDS, the skin was applied upside down so he ended up with a monobrow, a neckbeard, and a yarmulka.

Bob?

9 hours ago, shaw said:

removed feature to remove IVA helmets in safe sitations

Thanks for the update.  So much good stuff... but this and the skyboxes are the reason I use this mod :( such is life.

Still... I cam get this from other mods as mentioned above and I am grateful for the suit and skybox replacement option!

Peace.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.