[1.8-1.12] TextureReplacer 4.5.3 (8.2.2022)

shaw

just a quick shout for aid : anyone know how to safely update from 2.1.2 to current without losing all Final Frontier ribbons?

i delete the old PLUGINS folder and throw in the new one, leaving the rest as they have all my textures. i also delete old config files and replace. is this proper or am i inadvertently scrubbing some data in the process?

What do ribbons have to do with TR? The correct procedre to install TR 2.2 would be to delete `Plugins/` directory (some stuff from it was removed in 2.2) and extract new TR, overriiding any existing files. Any modifications of `@Default.cfg` will be lost, that's why it's recommended you don't modify this file at all but rather create a new oen that overrides it.

- - - Updated - - -

One piece of feedback: I found the kerbal customizer window a little unclear. I wasn't sure what to click to change things or when something was actually changed, or how to revert them back to default textures. I ended up just deleting all but the suit texture I wanted rather than messing with it.

"<" and ">" buttons assign previous or next head/suit form `Heads/` / `Suits/` directory. "Default" assigns the default head or suit from `Default/` directory. For heads, "Unset/Generic" assigns "random" head, calculated form the Kerbal's name. For suits, it assigns "random", consecutive or class suit, depending on what you selected at the botom of the window.

Two things;

1: Do you have a link to that HUD thing? I love the look of it and know several friends who would love it.

2: What is everyone's favorite Skybox, I am looking for one but cant seem to find a good one, maybe you guys can point me in the right direction :D

That is all thanks guys

"<" and ">" buttons assign previous or next head/suit form `Heads/` / `Suits/` directory. "Default" assigns the default head or suit from `Default/` directory. For heads, "Unset/Generic" assigns "random" head, calculated form the Kerbal's name. For suits, it assigns "random", consecutive or class suit, depending on what you selected at the botom of the window.

I think I was confused by what was meant by "generic" in this case. I thought that it would mean reset to the default KSP textures. Thanks!

Two things;

1: Do you have a link to that HUD thing? I love the look of it and know several friends who would love it.

2: What is everyone's favorite Skybox, I am looking for one but cant seem to find a good one, maybe you guys can point me in the right direction :D

That is all thanks guys

I agree about the halo hud, that looks amazing.

I am using Bilb0's Darken Galaxy skybox, which is Rareden's skybox made darker. It always bothered me how bright the galaxy was in the stock skybox; I like my space near pitch black. I also ended up keeping the orange visor texture from his suit as well, it looks sweet with real reflections.

I think I was confused by what was meant by "generic" in this case. I thought that it would mean reset to the default KSP textures. Thanks!

I agree about the halo hud, that looks amazing.

I am using Bilb0's Darken Galaxy skybox, which is Rareden's skybox made darker. It always bothered me how bright the galaxy was in the stock skybox; I like my space near pitch black. I also ended up keeping the orange visor texture from his suit as well, it looks sweet with real reflections.

Can I use that orange visor with a different helmet or does it have to go into the suits folder? I have a set of suits that I love but that visor looks awesome, Also I am looking into using the skybox thanks :D

Can I use that orange visor with a different helmet or does it have to go into the suits folder? I have a set of suits that I love but that visor looks awesome, Also I am looking into using the skybox thanks :D

I just changed the EVA reflections line in the @Default.cfg file to read:

visorReflectionColour = 0.8 0.7 0.2

Gives a nice gold reflection to all EVA visors. :)

I am using it with stock suits so the answer is yes to using it with other suits, but I am not the person to answer how. As I said above, I got confused and just deleted everything but the suit visor and skybox and it just seemed to work.

Two things;

That is all thanks guys

I will post a link when I get off work later tonight.

How does the GUI organize the order of the suit textures?

Does it go by alpha/numerical order of the directories? I'm trying to use a bunch of different suits for my ETS playthrough (IE, specific mission suits) and, while I'm assuming that that is how it works, I figured I'll ask as I'm waiting for the game to load to see if this was the case.

What do ribbons have to do with TR? The correct procedre to install TR 2.2 would be to delete `Plugins/` directory (some stuff from it was removed in 2.2) and extract new TR, overriiding any existing files. Any modifications of `@Default.cfg` will be lost, that's why it's recommended you don't modify this file at all but rather create a new oen that overrides it.

- - - Updated - - -

sorry for the late reply - i actually managed to fix it by reloading the savegame a second time and they reappeared. cheers for the reply

Here are a few of the simulated HUD visors I have. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dpa148d9eiwa6ts/AABfOb7DkmhTOMuIuUySKbQqa?dl=0 . What I do is create a folder with a suit group (suit, helmet, and jetpack) and throw the EVA and IVA visor in there that I want with it and it will automatically assign it when selected through the GUI.

How does the GUI organize the order of the suit textures?

Does it go by alpha/numerical order of the directories? I'm trying to use a bunch of different suits for my ETS playthrough (IE' date=' specific mission suits) and, while I'm assuming that that is how it works, I figured I'll ask as I'm waiting for the game to load to see if this was the case.[/quote']

It goes by the same order as KSP loads them, i.e. case-insensitive alphabetical order.

Anyone else having trouble with pingonaut's EVA suit textures working just fine the first time KSP loads and then everything being stock EVA suits every time thereafter? Pretty sure that, if anything, it's a Texture Replacer problem.

EDIT: Even after turning reflections off, I'm still getting no cheeks on the biosuits. The "grey" biosuits are also giving me the same problem as pingonaut's suits.

It would seem EVA suits hate me. :(

Edited by Whovian

Forgive me if I'm being a plum, but I can't get parts to reflect unless I copy the example reflection code featured in the OP directly into a part file. For the life of me I can't get Module Manager to read my .cfg file that adds the code to all parts (for experimental purposes only of course).

Why doesn't the following work?

@PART
[*]:Final

MODULE
{
name = TRReflection
shader = Reflective/Bumped Diffuse
colour = 0.5 0.5 0.5
interval = 1
}

The .cfg file is located inside my game data folder (that's right isn't it?) and yet, on the load screen, module just manager always says "0 patches applied". I can't even get Module manager to apply the code to a single part - I've tried substituting "*" for a part name to no avail.

Any ideas?

:::EDIT:::: Okay, I figured it out - I had to do this to the code:

@PART
[*]:Final{
MODULE
{
name = TRReflection
shader = Reflective/Bumped Diffuse
colour = 0.5 0.5 0.5
interval = 1
}

}

There is no reference to the requirement of those extra curly brackets anywhere in the Module Manager OP. I figured it out with a random stab in the dark and got lucky. Perhaps this code should be included in the Texture Replacer OP to spare other poor buggers an evening of frustration and boredom staring in puzzlement at their sad, non-reflective command pod wondering why it's not shiny ;)

Edited by rextable

Anyone else having trouble with pingonaut's EVA suit textures working just fine the first time KSP loads and then everything being stock EVA suits every time thereafter? Pretty sure that, if anything, it's a Texture Replacer problem.

EDIT: Even after turning reflections off, I'm still getting no cheeks on the biosuits. The "grey" biosuits are also giving me the same problem as pingonaut's suits.

This is the problem I am having as well. Which is sad, because I like those cheek thingies.

Does anyone have a higher res default Skybox? I'd love a higher res of the default back for my cinematics.

EDIT: If someone can get me a version of the KSP default skybox in *PNG form that would be equally useful. I'm not sure if you can locate them/remove them from KSP

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Hello all

I have some questions regarding the reflection shader:

Is there a way to change the refection resolution, or any other parameters for that matter, on a per part basis? If so, how?

How does the Texture Replacer implementation of the reflection shader compare with Starwasher's original Reflection Plugin for editability and general stability? Can I alter the reflection strength or specular strength independently for example?

Does the Texture Replacer shader use cameras on a per part or per ship basis (the latter being preferable for ram and performance reasons)? Starwasher's plugin would always cause KSP to crash eventually due to ever increasing memory consumption over time. As I understand it, Starwashers plugin created a new camera for each new part that utilized the plugin code. Throwing the part away again in the VAB didn't appear to erase the associated camera/cube-map... At least, that's what seemed to be happening, I could be wrong about all of this..... anyway.... Might we be faced with similar issues with the Texture Replacer implementation or have they been addressed?

Does the Texture Replacer shader utilize a model's texture's alpha channel as a mask like Starwasher's plugin did?

I think that's all for now :P

I installed texture replacer correctly but I don't get the beards or hair, does anyone else have this problem if so can you tell me how to fix it?

- - - Updated - - -

The faces are not working they don't have beards and different hair.

Did you download a set of kerbal heads? TR doesn't come with any new ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone have a higher res default Skybox? I'd love a higher res of the default back for my cinematics.

EDIT: If someone can get me a version of the KSP default skybox in *PNG form that would be equally useful. I'm not sure if you can locate them/remove them from KSP

I am working on creating some Hi-res skyboxes using SpaceEngine and SpaceScape. What kind of scene are you looking for?

Which format are visor textures in? TGA? That would explain such issues.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no reference to the requirement of those extra curly brackets anywhere in the Module Manager OP. I figured it out with a random stab in the dark and got lucky. Perhaps this code should be included in the Texture Replacer OP to spare other poor buggers an evening of frustration and boredom staring in puzzlement at their sad, non-reflective command pod wondering why it's not shiny ;)

TR's OP explains how to use TRReflection module, not MM. The "extra" curly brackets are shown in MM's 2nd OP.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello all

I have some questions regarding the reflection shader:

Is there a way to change the refection resolution, or any other parameters for that matter, on a per part basis? If so, how?

How does the Texture Replacer implementation of the reflection shader compare with Starwasher's original Reflection Plugin for editability and general stability? Can I alter the reflection strength or specular strength independently for example?

Does the Texture Replacer shader use cameras on a per part or per ship basis (the latter being preferable for ram and performance reasons)? Starwasher's plugin would always cause KSP to crash eventually due to ever increasing memory consumption over time. As I understand it, Starwashers plugin created a new camera for each new part that utilized the plugin code. Throwing the part away again in the VAB didn't appear to erase the associated camera/cube-map... At least, that's what seemed to be happening, I could be wrong about all of this..... anyway.... Might we be faced with similar issues with the Texture Replacer implementation or have they been addressed?

Does the Texture Replacer shader utilize a model's texture's alpha channel as a mask like Starwasher's plugin did?

I think that's all for now :P

You can change resolution in a configuration file. See `@Default.cfg`.

TRReflection has much less options than RP and only uses stock shaders + visor shader. RP on the other hand includes its own shaders (that's why it's 7 MiB) since the stock shaders have multiple limitations, e.g. there's no stock shader that would support specular lighting and reflections at the same time. Or transparency + reflection (but there's visor shader for that purpuse), or emission + reflections ...

The advantage of TRReflection is that properly reflects atmosphere, reflects particles (engine flames, RCS jets ...) is open-source and has cleaner code. RP shows the sky as black unless on the launchpad, doesn't reflect particles and reflects certain UI elements! (Yes, right-click menus are reflected). Furthermore, there's no source code published (only the one from version 1.0, but without shaders) and the 1.0 source code, which I assume hasn't changed significantly in the latest 1.3 version, is a total mess. It does a lot of redundant stuff, almost everything could be written way better.

In terms of performance tradeoff TRReflection is better. RP updates parts at contant intervals, which are passed to parts as parameters. When those intervals are too short, performance drops with large number of reflecitve parts and, when too high, reflection are updated very infrequently. Furthermore, when all parts on a vessel have the same update interval, all the updates will always fall on the same frame causing a significant glitch every time this happens. TRReflection solves these issues by updating parts one-at-a-time. There a list of all reflective parts and, on each update (every second frame by default), the next reflection in the list is updated. This ensures that no more that one reflection is updated in a single frame, and constant performance, no mater how many reflective parts are loaded. More reflective parts means they are updated less frequently, of course.

I am working on creating some Hi-res skyboxes using SpaceEngine and SpaceScape. What kind of scene are you looking for?

I really just want a copy of the stock KSP skybox if anyone knows how to get it. I want a skybox that looks exactly the same as the stock skybox but with a higher resolution.

I really just want a copy of the stock KSP skybox if anyone knows how to get it. I want a skybox that looks exactly the same as the stock skybox but with a higher resolution.

Extract it with Asset Explorer. But it will be the same resolution as it as when you use the "full" settings for texture quality. That's the highest resolution that exists in KSP. Only Squad might have a higher resolution skybox somewhere. Ask them.

I have 2 problems: 1, real reflections still aren't working for me and 2, I'm getting this spammed in my output log:

[TR.TextureReplacer] System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[TextureReplacer.Reflections+Script].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at TextureReplacer.Reflections+Script.updateScripts () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at TextureReplacer.TextureReplacer.LateUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I do have Vens Revamp 1.7 installed which has the following TR MM config applied to several parts:

@PART[rcsTankRadialLong]:NEEDS[TextureReplacer] {
%MODULE[TRReflection]
{
%colour = 0.2 0.2 0.2
%meshes = obj_base tank
}
}

a67msOw.png?1

EnvMap, Heads and Suits are emtpy

Is anything amiss? Want me to post the full output log (though I did a quick search and everything related to TR was nominal before the above errors)? Pls help, I has a sad :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.