[1.8-1.12] TextureReplacer 4.5.3 (8.2.2022)

shaw

Hi Shaw, I was wondering: would be possible to add a normalmap to the scattered rocks? right now it uses just a flat texture ("rock00", I think). The rocks would be much nicer if they could use normalmaps, like the kerbal heads.

If there is no normal map by default, you can't assign one, unless I add some additional code for that. And the shader also needs to be replaced in most situations.

If there is no normal map by default, you can't assign one, unless I add some additional code for that. And the shader also needs to be replaced in most situations.

Well, then... by all means, impress us.

Heyho

First of all to the author: <3333

Second of all to all you clever people:

When replacing the default skybox with some other one(in this case the one in the RC pack), i get these weird glitches when moving my camera quickly. One might describe it as tearing, i guess. Just patches of the screen not updating as quickly as other patches. Read through a couple of pages in this thread and googled around, but couldnt find a solution, so here i am.

Any solutions? or am i just supposed to use the default texture?

Cheers

Heyho

First of all to the author: <3333

Second of all to all you clever people:

When replacing the default skybox with some other one(in this case the one in the RC pack), i get these weird glitches when moving my camera quickly. One might describe it as tearing, i guess. Just patches of the screen not updating as quickly as other patches. Read through a couple of pages in this thread and googled around, but couldnt find a solution, so here i am.

Any solutions? or am i just supposed to use the default texture?

Cheers

Enable Vertical Sync in options (you might also need to change some options of your graphics driver, depending on your driver and OS). With the default textures, you probably have higher framerate and the tearing is not so obvious.

Great Mod I wouldn't want to play without it.

I have at some point downloaded this: (2)

(Too bad it doesn't fit on the female model ... only transvestites possible...Yes, that is actually technically a boy.)

Then I have found this: (3) (actually yesterday, since I was fed up of the plain look of female Kerbals (1))

Was still not happy with with .. and made this: (4) (not perfect .. my gimp skillz are not 1337 but I am satisfied for now)

9uJlkSvl.png

(sorry can't share it right now... since my brain isn't working well [see below] I can't figure out the original authors ... and what licence they where published ... I will publish it later if possible, though)

And while I am here here is my wishlist:

1. Global settings ... I do not know if others are as tired as I am to set (at least some of) the parameters to my favorite values in all save games.
  2. Native handling of females. Means
    • different sets for generic females ... e.g. one for male scientists and one for female scientists
    • distinction between texture for males and females
      for both complain to Squad for making the textures not compatible
    • changing the gender attribute from female to male (so that you can put some of the old textures on females. I can use Crew Manifest for this ... but texture changer only works outside, Crew Manifest only inside of missions ... and not everyone who installs this want also install Crew Manifest)
    • also default texture changes for females as we have it for males ... so that in menu Valentina also get a good looking suit (and helmet)
      gGfZAHjm.png

[*]More if I actually can think strait. (pulled an allnighter)

Had a few fights with the Kraken while loading a tourists on the launchpad ... got an error message and then only 1-2 fps while the portraits where ... black (I think, but could also be the snowstorm). It works if I revert the flight ... didn't tested it to leave and come back, though.

Enable Vertical Sync in options (you might also need to change some options of your graphics driver, depending on your driver and OS). With the default textures, you probably have higher framerate and the tearing is not so obvious.

aaaand thats exactly what it is...sorry, i was just being stoopid.

using linux and having amd gpu really is a pain in the ass tho...tried forcing vsync via CCC, as its for some reason disabled in game...

i know now that i had to reboot to have the changes take effect...

oh well it seems good now

thank your for the swift reply :)

Hey, something I was thinking about the other day and forgot to post about...

Something that would be nice for the suit/head GUI would be a label for the currently selected head (by file name) and for the current suit (by directory name) for those cases where two suits looks very much alike and the small preview screens make it difficult to see properly.

So I'd like to make my own edit of the stock skybox. I want to start a save with all the planets orbits inclined to 23 degrees (with their LANs mostly lined up), to simulate a "relative axial tilt". All the planets get the same axial tilt. What I'd like to do is incline the "galaxy horizon" of the stock skybox. Any advice would be awesome.

I wondered where any of the stock kerban head/suit textures are. Looked through the whole install tree.

Inside KSP_Data and in the file "sharedassets0.assets". You'll need a tool called UnityAssetExplorer to grab them.

Sorry to bother you, but I've run into a issue with Texture Replacer (latest build).

For some odd reason it keeps changing Valentina's gender to male. It's rewriting the persistent.cfg file.

No other Kerbal characters are affected, just Valentina. Has anybody else run into this?

Sorry to bother you, but I've run into a issue with Texture Replacer (latest build).

For some odd reason it keeps changing Valentina's gender to male. It's rewriting the persistent.cfg file.

No other Kerbal characters are affected, just Valentina. Has anybody else run into this?

Have you upgraded your saved game from some old version? Change the gender in TRScenario ("M" -> "F") section of peristent.sfs.

Have you upgraded your saved game from some old version? Change the gender in TRScenario ("M" -> "F") section of peristent.sfs.

No. This happened on my old save (lots of mods) and on a fresh stock game, no mods.

I did go into the persistent.sfs file and changed her but the gender change back.

I didn't go into the TRScenario, but now that you mentioned it I'll reinstall Texture Replacer and give that a try.

Tried the TRScenario. No difference. TRScenario, the Persistent file plus the save file seems to be rewritten every time.

Looked thru the console logs. Haven't found anything yet.

Can someone help me with making custom Kerbals? I used to have this mod a couple years back and making custom kerbals was easy. It was something like this set up. CustomKerbals/the kerbals name/all custom textures. You had a custom kerbals folder, then inside that folder would be folders labled with the name of the kerbals you wanted to edit. Inside the kerbal name folders all you had to do was just drop in the textures you wanted changed specifically for that kerbal. I know things change and this is why I'm asking for help. This no longer works for me and I'm having a hard time understanding the instructions than what a did a year or two ago. Also, can specific kerbals not have different visor reflections and colors from one another anymore? Just suits and heads?

Edited by fakerussiandude

Tried the TRScenario. No difference. TRScenario, the Persistent file plus the save file seems to be rewritten every time.

Looked thru the console logs. Haven't found anything yet.

Upload your persistent.sfs.

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone help me with making custom Kerbals? I used to have this mod a couple years back and making custom kerbals was easy. It was something like this set up. CustomKerbals/the kerbals name/all custom textures. You had a custom kerbals folder, then inside that folder would be folders labled with the name of the kerbals you wanted to edit. Inside the kerbal name folders all you had to do was just drop in the textures you wanted changed specifically for that kerbal. I know things change and this is why I'm asking for help. This no longer works for me and I'm having a hard time understanding the instructions than what a did a year or two ago. Also, can specific kerbals not have different visor reflections and colors from one another anymore? Just suits and heads?

There was a lot of texture duplication with the old way and you needed to restart KSP after each change. What's so complicated now? Just drop heads into Heads folder and all possible suits into Suits. Then you assign them to Kerbals from the GUI that's enabled in the space centre scene.

Upload your persistent.sfs.

- - - Updated - - -

There was a lot of texture duplication with the old way and you needed to restart KSP after each change. What's so complicated now? Just drop heads into Heads folder and all possible suits into Suits. Then you assign them to Kerbals from the GUI that's enabled in the space centre scene.

Thanks for the help Shaw. I found the ingame GUI. I feel blind now. XD

Edited by fakerussiandude

I'm trying to set up a skybox and I'm running into some terrible banding artifacts. I'm attempting to disable compression for the textures, because the raw files (and the .dds I'm writing) do not exhibit the banding out of game. (I've also tried DTX5/BC3 compression, which results in output that looks like what I see in-game - namely, crap. This is why I believe it to be compression at fault.)

Can anyone give me some clues?

I'm saving 4096x4096 images as RGB8 DDS /w no compression, and mipmaps (not sure if those are necessary for the skybox... probably not). I've also created GameData\TextureReplacer\Skybox-NoCompress.cfg as follows:

SKYBOX_COMPRESSION_IGNORE
{
folder = TextureReplacer
enabled = true
OVERRIDES
{
TextureReplacer/Default/GalaxyTex_(Negative|Positive)(X|Y|Z).(jpg|jpeg|png|tga|dds)
{
mipmaps = false
compress = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
}
}
}

I'm using OpenGL, if that matters. If someone needs to examine the files, I've got them stashed here temporarily.

Original files are some 6000x6000 PNG files in an archive named "SpaceEngineDemoSkybox.rar" - no idea these days where that came from, as the author didn't think to include a readme or such. Files date 2014-01-12.

Edited by draeath

Hey kerbonaughts! I have recently updated to windows 10, and for some reason texture replacer (or it seems to be) is causing a problem when trying to access buildings and the menu, i cannot click on them and get it to obey me! Nothing happens. I am running a modded game, and using force opengl, however after deleting texture replacer i can access the buildings and menu again.

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, I looked through this thread and in the Add-Ons section but could not find.

Can anyone point to a tutorial or give basic instructions for making a custom suit pack? I may want to try out some Kerbfleet uniforms of my own design :) Is it something as simple as editing a set of baseline images in .paint or equivalent, or are we talking 3D models here? Thanks!

Cross-posting from this post on the Behemoth Aerospace thread.

There's a particular issue that requires Texture Replacer, and a particularly crafted agency setup. The issue affects stock contracts, but is particularly noticeable for Contract Configurator (which is why the issue came to me). The short version of the issue is that Texture Replacer can mess up the stock agent loading logic by making texture read-only.

The long version:

1. Texture Replacer runs on all loaded textures and makes them non-readable (saving memory).
  2. Stock agency loader logic fires. For any agent where there isn't an explicit scaled logo, it reads the unscaled logo in memory and scales it down. In this instance, the unscaled logo is not readable in memory, so the whole thing fails, and it stops trying to load other agencies
  3. Contract Configurator tries to load contracts, and gets a bunch of "agency doesn't exist" errors. Also affects stock, but a lot less since most of their contracts will just randomly assign an agent.

The workaround is to install ATM - because Texture Replacer disables that part of its loading when ATM is installed.

Would it be possible to get some sort of fix in Texture Replacer for this issue? The reason it's not an issue in ATM because of the various config files that tell it to ignore */Agencies/*. Even if Texture Replacer was hardcoded to ignore anything containing /Agencies/ in the path I think it would be good enough.

Cross-posting from this post on the Behemoth Aerospace thread.

There's a particular issue that requires Texture Replacer, and a particularly crafted agency setup. The issue affects stock contracts, but is particularly noticeable for Contract Configurator (which is why the issue came to me). The short version of the issue is that Texture Replacer can mess up the stock agent loading logic by making texture read-only.

The long version:

1. Texture Replacer runs on all loaded textures and makes them non-readable (saving memory).
  2. Stock agency loader logic fires. For any agent where there isn't an explicit scaled logo, it reads the unscaled logo in memory and scales it down. In this instance, the unscaled logo is not readable in memory, so the whole thing fails, and it stops trying to load other agencies
  3. Contract Configurator tries to load contracts, and gets a bunch of "agency doesn't exist" errors. Also affects stock, but a lot less since most of their contracts will just randomly assign an agent.

The workaround is to install ATM - because Texture Replacer disables that part of its loading when ATM is installed.

Would it be possible to get some sort of fix in Texture Replacer for this issue? The reason it's not an issue in ATM because of the various config files that tell it to ignore */Agencies/*. Even if Texture Replacer was hardcoded to ignore anything containing /Agencies/ in the path I think it would be good enough.

Adding "/Agencies/" to keepLoaded list in @Default.cfg should fix that. Double-check if this works and I'll release an update.