[1.8-1.12] TextureReplacer 4.5.3 (8.2.2022)

shaw

Greetings,

So, after getting annoyed with constant periodic game hanging and poor fps, I decided to do some investigation about where all my performance was going...

The result was that TextureReplacer was causing horrendous fps and physics dips in spikes around once every 100-200ms. This behavior can be exacerbated by adding additional mods or config settings (it doesn't matter what or which) that will cause physics lag, processing time, or fps drop. Eventually, it will become so bad that it also affects the physics processing time even though the CPU is hardly even being used. Once it reaches the state where your physics flash between green and yellow even just sitting at the launch pad on a brand new save, you can then remove and re-add TextureReplacer from your GameData folder to observe what it is causing.

This is not being caused by any incompatibility with any other particular mod, but rather with this mod itself; it merely takes a bit of a loaded game to notice the difference. For example, if you have a clean game and only add TextureReplacer, you will not see a noticeable difference unless you are actually clocking the framerate (and are not capped).

Having EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements, Kopernicus, SVE, and SVT all running have very little impact at all on the game, while TextureReplacer causes a dramatic difference, so it is not simply a matter of being a graphical mod.

----

RangeMachine, could you please look at the Big-O of your/Shaw's code a bit to see if you can find some ways to optimize it and reduce the amount of code running during game tick events? The usefulness of this mod cannot be overstated, but for now, I will have to remove it from my list until it no longer affects the game speed so dramatically.

----

Unrelated, I have a couple enhancement requests:

• For suits, allow normal maps for each of the 1-5 level textures; this way they can differ in design while still looking correct for shading.
  • For suits, allow jet packs and visors to also have optional level 1-5 textures/normals.
  • Add the ability to apply an additional texture layer to existing objects; for example, adding a mostly transparent texture with cracks or scratches to specific parts.
  • Get in touch with Avera9eJoe about WindowShine, he seems to have found a shader that will fix reflection preventing other shaders like part highlighting.

Upon further testing, I can confirm that the drastic, pulsing performance hit from TextureReplacer is only present when an object that uses TRReflection is within rendering range.

The processing hog seems to be the real reflection renderer. By changing the reflectionInterval, you can change the time between the lag spikes.

For a fix, I would suggest spinning the process that creates the reflection image into its own thread, so that the whole game won't just sit around and wait for it. Within that thread, before starting the render, make sure that a previous render is not currently still under way.

For now, the workaround I have used is to simply set the reflectionInterval to 60 so it only updates about once per second.

Edited by Electrocutor

Greetings,

I am using KSP 1.2.2 and do not have a GUI for texture replacer anymore. Why is that? I had this once? I could choose and assign textures to specific kerbals and jobs. Am i missing something?

1 minute ago, Farex said:

Greetings,

I am using KSP 1.2.2 and do not have a GUI for texture replacer anymore. Why is that? I had this once? I could choose and assign textures to specific kerbals and jobs. Am i missing something?

The GUI is still there so, yes, you're missing something. You should have a button on the stock toolbar with a stylized kerbal head.

Try reinstall, delete your TextureReplacer folder inside GameData before copying the one your downloaded.

17 minutes ago, Farex said:

Did this now a few times, still no icon. I know that icon but it is still missing. I am using EVE and scatterer, could they interfere? module manager is also installed.

I don't think so, I only have scatterer tho.

Can you search your KSP directory for "TextureReplacer.dll" ? Make sure you only have one.

You have downloaded TR from here right ?

Hello everyone.

Seems like TextureReplacer does not changes stock parts textures anymore.

I tried to change rover wheels textures placing it in default\squad\parts ... etc. in TextureReplacer folder - the same way as in 1.0.5

Even more, if I replace stock textures files in gamedata\squad\parts ... - it doesn't change... Means stock textures are in asset files now or something?..

Also, I confirm reflection disruption on Kerbals visors and huge performance drop when realistic reflections enabled.

UltraViolet :: Dropbox ::

CC BY-NC-SA :: Free to modify and re-share.

zKRi1ph.jpg

bUQGSpW.jpg 0ns59k4.jpg

The Veil Nebula :: Dropbox :: Gallery

2GOmjXd.jpg

ownEjrE.jpg fbYRjYS.jpg

NASA/ESA Foreign Eagle :: Dropbox :: Gallery

CC BY-NC-SA :: Free to modify and re-share. Now with some extra post work by @eddiew

Gallery is not completely accurate but still demonstrates this package well.

mAWdC8i.jpg

eCJFkys.jpg cKcjMtq.jpg

NASA/ESA Codename Caterpillar :: Dropbox :: Gallery

NK4NIq7.jpg

5QC6Gbo.jpg wTaQ1MN.jpg

NASA/ESA NGC 4449 :: Dropbox :: Gallery

CC BY-NC-SA :: Free to modify and re-share. Ignore the vibrancy and noise of earlier images in the album. Those are kept for more perspective.

l1AKW4w.jpg

Kc30GUW.jpg UcUsKAz.jpg

Codename Sapphire Starmap :: Download :: Gallery

aIhnZDt.jpg

tFJ465f.jpg gXjcA5Y.jpg 

EVE Online Gallente #14 :: Dropbox :: Gallery

CC BY-NC-ND :: Please don't re-share liberally. The source media are property of CCP Games so all rights reserved by them.

Xl27JQH.jpg

vrRqeZ0.jpg TSveilq.jpg

EVE Online Wormhole #5 :: Dropbox :: Gallery

CC BY-NC-ND :: Please don't re-share liberally. The source media are property of CCP Games so all rights reserved by them.

9oOof37.jpg

fdxrz3Y.jpg mawAP90.jpg

EVE Online Amarr #6 :: Dropbox :: Gallery

gy07UBH.jpg

sjVwMJO.jpg ndvo75x.jpg

EVE Online Caldari #4 :: Dropbox :: Gallery

NHod7Qj.jpg

SNOtosc.jpg vwnbucU.jpg

EVE Online Wormhole #2 :: Dropbox :: Gallery

6k0qNoG.jpg

WOSqnjy.jpg 2fmT6xu.jpg

EVE Online Gallente #2 :: Dropbox :: Gallery

ojMvNyQ.jpg

Zl99TmJ.jpg AjPEerw.jpg

EVE Online Jove #1 :: Dropbox :: Gallery

BNOwZ2y.jpg

HPW4Ndm.jpg kQDfjpU.jpg

EVE Online Minmatar #1 :: Dropbox :: Gallery

MMeg8ki.jpg

zWk58YD.jpg N5kYD9l.jpg

EVE Online Minmatar #4 :: Dropbox :: Gallery

tcTptIi.jpg

nIFWFLw.jpg 2SepXH0.jpg

EVE Online Caldari #1 :: Dropbox :: Gallery

hJIifca.jpg

03ig6xH.jpg ADDPmjL.jpg

EVE Online Amarr #8 :: Dropbox :: Gallery

dA1Ss1B.jpg

pKhGKII.jpg bGqyL3P.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

@JadeOfMaar nice eve skybox's colection :cool: But a little correction or a entire faction it will start chase you to hunt you down aka > EVE Online Minmatar #14 < is Galente space

It was in past a a good skybox with Galente space but i think was lost in old forum post

ZWrjLhK.png

thx for sharing :)

p.s. for who have time & know how to build skyboxes for TR here some good Eve online pics source:
http://imgur.com/a/bIYQJ
http://imgur.com/a/kK6Xw
http://imgur.com/a/9co0K
http://imgur.com/a/fG2az
http://imgur.com/a/aDUIy

Edited by Blacks

Hm, @JadeOfMaar, a note on your NGC 4449 skybox... The one thing I never liked about the tycho starmap is that it's taken directly from the Earth, I've been wanting to have a skybox that isn't based off of the earth's view and so I might look into using your new map... I might chat with you in PM sometime in the not far future about something too.

EDIT: Also sorry for the butchering in editing :P I have a bad tendency to rewrite whole messages after hitting send.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

10 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Avera9eJoe I doubt I'll be able to answer your questions but I'd like to receive them anyway. I googled very hard to get the source for a high-enough-res public domain space photo to make into that skybox.

I guess my first question is would you mind if I tinkered with your NGC 4449 skybox? I'm looking for a skybox to use in a visual pack compilation called 'spectra'. I'm sort of doing early reconnaissance for skyboxes I might use. Credit due to you for the wonderful find

Edited by Avera9eJoe

@Avera9eJoe do as you will with any skybox I put up except the EVE Online ones. That freedom is why the NGC one is there, and any space photo kind I put up later.

On the side: It looks like I have to do touchups to the darker of the Gallente images if I post them. They'll all look like garbage on screens with mega contrast ratios. I wouldn't download that if I saw it coming... I don't want anyone else to have to put up with that. But images like those I would solo out for @daniel l.'s galaxy mod so they gotta be in good condition.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.