[1.8-1.12] TextureReplacer 4.5.3 (8.2.2022)

shaw

1 hour ago, Mitchz95 said:

Put them in your Default folder and name them according to the guide in the OP. For example, you would name a Kerbin texture "KerbinScaledSpace300".

thanks for clearing that up wasn't sure if the guide was new enough or what but it helps. also any images/textures should work even if they were made for universe replacer right?

46 minutes ago, maybach123 said:

thanks for clearing that up wasn't sure if the guide was new enough or what but it helps. also any images/textures should work even if they were made for universe replacer right?

Yes, many of the textures I use are several years old. DDS textures are generally better from a memory standpoint, but PNG and JPG still work. :)

16 hours ago, Mitchz95 said:

Yes, many of the textures I use are several years old. DDS textures are generally better from a memory standpoint, but PNG and JPG still work. :)

i still have an issue though i installed a high res texture just the way it says (for bop) named it gp1minormoon100 and the texture still looks the same when orbiting it i thought i might have named it wrong so i put in a copy thats names gpminormoon101 and still original texture only texture change is when i go into map view 

11 hours ago, UnCroissant said:

I found a strange bug.

If a suits name contains space TR will set a kerbal to unset/generic if the suit is equiped to that kerbal. Example: "Suit 01"

After I renamed the suits as "Suit_01" the bug didn't happen.

That's because spaces are also delimiters between entries in config files. So "Suit 01" is understood as "Suit" while "01" is read as the next setting (ignored in this case since suit is the last entry in per-Kerbal arrays). I won't fix this.

Kerbal Name = Sex Head Suit

I'm having an issure where in IVA my kerbals' head though flickering persists. I go into IVA and look around, but there it is Jebs big flickering head whenever I look around.

Edit: I reinstalled the mod and that fixed it.

Edited by NomenNescio

Can I use texture Replacer to make it so I can do texture switching in the VAB for space shuttle configurations such as a white external painted tank and the non-painted tank? I know the Soyuz done by RadierNick had 3 color options to paint your spacecraft. I also want to switch shuttle name textures on the sings such as "Challenger" , "Atlantis", ect.  If this is possible can someone explain detaily on how to write a module manager to get it to work?

No, this is not possible with TR. Firespitter has a module for this. You an check configuration files from KSO project, they use texture switching extensively.

Edited by shaw

26 minutes ago, Parkaboy said:

Hey, this may be a stupid question, but where can I find the default textures for the kerbal heads? I wanted to use them as base for my own edits...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/55508-broken-090-texturereplacer-212-20122014/&do=findComment&comment=1296830

Edited by shaw

12 hours ago, shaw said:

No, this is not possible with TR. Firespitter has a module for this. You an check configuration files from KSO project, they use texture switching extensively.

Nice! Went and looked at KSO and applied it to the CSS shuttle pack. The parts now have texture changing! :D Thank you so much !

All the Skyboxes below are licensed under the CC-BY-NC-ND-4.0 license and any source material has been worked from NASA public domain images.

Poodmund's Deep Star Map Skybox

62iVHIk.png

Imgur Gallery

360° VR Preview

Skybox made using reference images from the Bright Star, Tycho-2, and UCAC3 star catalogs. This provides a very nice constant star coverage across the whole 360 degrees in the x, y and z planes. A little darker than the Milky Way skybox but probably truer to the naked eye.

--------------------------------

Poodmund's Calm Nebula Skybox

LIfEHpU.png

Imgur Gallery

360° VR Preview

Toying around with creating a Nebula-like Skybox that presents the Kerbol system within a sparse Nebula. Features a subtle Galaxy star-line and patches of Pink/Blue Nebula proto-Star fields. To the polar South a very energetic solar nursery can be seen.

--------------------------------

Poodmund's Milky Way Skybox

heUvmKJ.png

Imgur Gallery

360° VR Preview

I was poking around looking at KSP Default Skybox for somebody and thought... I know, I'll just chuck NASA's Milky Way photo through my image editing software to see how it looks in-game. Anyway, I realise that Rareden's Skybox is based on the same Milky Way image but I thought that I might as well post this up in here.

Edited by Poodmund

18 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I was wondering though, what do people want from a Skybox? Semi-realism, consistent star coverage, positioning within a galaxy (ala the one attached), faux 'axial-tilt' within the galaxy, crazy Nebula? I might be able to whip a few up.

Been thinking about that a bit lately for my KSA reboot. I originally had a realistic skybox and it looked good - realistically speaking of course. Been considering a diff direction in terms of entertainment value and having more to look at in space images than just the craft or planet I'm capturing - whether that be colorful nebulae, lots more stars, galactic background... I think the galaxy background with some spattering of distant colorful nebulae would be cool - so there's more things to see in various areas of the sky depending on where you're looking

Edited by Gaiiden

3 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

Been thinking about that a bit lately for my KSA reboot. I originally had a realistic skybox and it looked good - realistically speaking of course. Been considering a diff direction in terms of entertainment value and having more to look at in space images than just the craft or planet I'm capturing - whether that be colorful nebulae, lots more stars, galactic background... I think the galaxy background with some spattering of distant colorful nebulae would be cool - so there's more things to see in various areas of the sky depending on where you're looking

Thanks for the input. I'll see what I can come up with. Anywho, I just uploaded another Skybox; attached to my previous post above. It looks rather nice in-game as you are surrounded by Stars/clusters in all directions.

@Poodmund, what I'm looking for in a skybox is:

1. Has good tar coverage in all directions (more/most along the galactic ecliptic is fine, but need a goodly amount outside of that too).  

2. Stars are distinct from each other.  In some of the more natural skyboxes based on telescope photos, you get a lot muddy pinpricks along with some of the nebulous gasses, and the whole skybox just doesn't really "pop."  It looks muted, flat, muddy, and uninteresting.  On clear nights up in the mountains, you can look up, and go "holy smokes!" at the brilliance and contrast of the stars against the inky blackness.  It is very, very difficult to do that on a monitor where you don't have dynamic lighting from each star, but rather a static skybox image.  I would suggest really running the image through a contrast enhancer, making the brightest stars as bright as they can be.  I don't think you can overdo it there.  Let the individual pixels of the really background stars that are dim just be barely there, or even gone.  We can use dynamic skybox dimming to help balance contrast in light environments, but on the dark side, I want the stars to dazzle, and that may mean dumping the lower brightness ones if necessary.

Honestly, I think your Deep Star Map skybox looks pretty good, and what I'm really thinking about.  Can we punch it up a little?

Proot had a very good Skybox in older versions of KSPRC that were kind of what I'm talking about, if you happen to know or remember them.  His more recent stuff isn't as dynamic as the old one, but I think the texture quality is a lot better on the newer one.

Edited by Cetera

@Poodmund After trying to adjust your skybox today, any changes I made to the file cause a doubling of the file size.  So I put the base version into the game, and it looks fantastic.  I'm very impressed, and very pleased.  I think you may have the best, nicest skybox I've used.  Kudos!

15 hours ago, Cetera said:

@Poodmund After trying to adjust your skybox today, any changes I made to the file cause a doubling of the file size.  So I put the base version into the game, and it looks fantastic.  I'm very impressed, and very pleased.  I think you may have the best, nicest skybox I've used.  Kudos!

Thank you very much. It is worth noting that the Skybox rendered in game appears a lot brighter than the raw textures look when opened in your Graphics Manipulation program, also the dynamic lighting in KSP adds a touch of pop and twinkle that make the Skyboxes look a lot more impressive in game. With regards to file sizes, 4096px x 4096px DXT1 .dds textures should be around 8mb each.

Finally I have dabbled into trying to create Nebula effects and have released my first attempt in my post further up in this page. Calling @Gaiiden! Is that along the lines that you were thinking?

that's effin brilliant looking. I will be giving it serious consideration for my KSA reboot

There's only one problem I foresee with using a skybox that has anything but stars in it though, and there's not really anything you can do about it either - zoomed images from VDSHullcams. I've come up with various techniques to work around this though - best one for this case would just be to take a shot at normal zoom and a shot at whatever zoom level I want and then paste the target body(s) from the zoomed-in image into the zoomed-out image so the background remains crisp and "far"

Edited by Gaiiden

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.