[1.8-1.12] TextureReplacer 4.5.3 (8.2.2022)

shaw

There are a lot of issues. Missing toolbar icon and the female Kerbals are all messed up.

Squad really f*cked up female Kerbals. Why didn't they just make another head mesh? They made a whole new model, with different hierarchy, different node and mesh names ... even different EVA part module. Almost everything needs to be made separately for males and females. And the worst thing being that the textures are mapped differently, so all female textures must be redone.

I have a great temptation to just change all female Kerbals to males and put female textures onto them ... Maybe I'll add such option to the next version of TR.

EDIT: I've implemented the last mentioned function right now. Bet you'll never guess how it's gonna be called :P

Edited by shaw

I admit, that's a bit discouraging. I really have no interest in going back to the female Kerbals of old and I doubt I'm the only one. Thanks for your efforts, but honestly if it is work you don't want to do, that's cool. Just don't do it at all because I have to ask, are you actually shaw? Shaw didn't take that stance on the mod pre-1.0. His commitment to making it work is what made it the awesome mod that it has been. Something about the community member who said, "Universe replacer is broken and I think I can do better, much better." And then did better, and blew all our expectations out of the water. I admit that just doesn't sound like the same person who is posting today.

Squad really f*cked up female Kerbals. Why didn't they just make another head mesh? They made a whole new model, with different hierarchy, different node and mesh names ...

Sorry this comes as a surprise :/ The animators were quite forthcoming in the dev notes about the massive changes they were making to the models and animations to support female kerbals. That's the reason I held off using any TR females in my fiction since I knew they wouldn't be compatible at all with 1.0 and I'd only be able to use Val in the beginning

I can understand rebuilding the structures to support male and female, but to make the two completely different is a really crappy thing. I love using different suits and I am sure they will eventually get updated, but I would choose different suits over female kerbals. Sorry Squad.

I admit, that's a bit discouraging. I really have no interest in going back to the female Kerbals of old and I doubt I'm the only one. Thanks for your efforts, but honestly if it is work you don't want to do, that's cool. Just don't do it at all because I have to ask, are you actually shaw? Shaw didn't take that stance on the mod pre-1.0. His commitment to making it work is what made it the awesome mod that it has been. Something about the community member who said, "Universe replacer is broken and I think I can do better, much better." And then did better, and blew all our expectations out of the water. I admit that just doesn't sound like the same person who is posting today.

You obviously missed a few my posts long time ago when I was pissed off at some people nagging for new features all the time. GregroxMun was the latest victim.

I made "approximately" working build yesterday, but there are still a lot of issues. Alpha channel on spacesuits should adjust shininess but makes females' bodies transparent on portraits (yes, only on portraits, it looks fine through IVA camera), navball replacements don't work, females have IVA visor texture in the main menu, side faces of atmosphere skybox are not reflected, so you see a black strip reflected around you ...

KSP 1.0 broke way more things than I was afraid it would.

I've also implemented an option to revert back to how females worked before 1.0. It converts all females to males but applies female textures on them. I hope I can come up with a better name before the release.

I'm also thinking about dropping texture compression, unloading and mipmap generation. These features will become obsolete if all modders switch to DDS textures and use them correctly. Besides, you can use ATM and DDS converters as workarounds for mods that don't use DDSes.

EDIT: Here's the DLL: TextureReplacer.dll. And change "atmSuitPressure" to "50" (or just delete it) in @Default.cfg.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

v2.4 released

(Almost) everything should be fixed for 1.0.0 and plus also some old and obscure bugs. It's not well tested, so beware!

Manually delete GameData/TextureReplacer/Plugins/appIcon.png, it's been replaced by a DDS.

About female Kerbals: old female textures don't fit on the new models, eyelashes are on cheeks, tongue&teeth texture on ponytail etc. You can either struggle with stock females util modders update their texture packs or revert to "legacy females": change females to males but apply female texture on them, as it worked before 1.0.0. You can enable this by setting "forceLegacyFemales" to "true" in @Default.cfg. When you disable this option, females should be converted back to real females again.

Edited by shaw

I bet that you only want to encourage to Shaw, but sorry, your last comment doesn't sound really well.

Shaw was only expressing the pain in his ass caused by the last changes... that will force him, at short and mid term, to do much more changes in the mod of the expectable. Just that.

I bet he is more than capable to get the substitution of female textures... but 1.0 is out since 2 days. And yet, with all the changes in the new version, he give us now an update ready to be used. With a perfect usable solution until he have a complete contol over the changes.

We can demand more? I think that absolutely not. We must remember always: our fun with all this mods around, is fun with (and thanks) to the time and selfless work of other people.

We should practice this everyday:

• To be thankful is "conditio sine qua non".

• To be supportive is mandatory.
  • Any of our demands must be, first of all, constructive.

I've got a bug wherein I cannot select any of the hangars. Apparently some other people have had it as well but I've traced it to Texture Replacer, shame too cause it looks gorgeous. Anyone else have that problem? Cause I get the feeling I done goofed at some point.

I bet that you only want to encourage to Shaw, but sorry, your last comment doesn't sound really well.

Shaw was only expressing the pain in his ass caused by the last changes... that will force him, at short and mid term, to do much more changes in the mod of the expectable. Just that.

I bet he is more than capable to get the substitution of female textures... but 1.0 is out since 2 days. And yet, with all the changes in the new version, he give us now an update ready to be used. With a perfect usable solution until he have a complete contol over the changes.

We can demand more? I think that absolutely not. We must remember always: our fun with all this mods around, is fun with (and thanks) to the time and selfless work of other people.

We should practice this everyday:

• To be thankful is "conditio sine qua non".

• To be supportive is mandatory.
  • Any of our demands must be, first of all, constructive.

Proot this is why we love yA so much. And shaw take your time do it at your pace enjoy the game or life or whatever else yA need. We will be here when it's ready to enjoy the great work you always do. Thanks for help KSP look amazing and proot too!

I've got a bug wherein I cannot select any of the hangars. Apparently some other people have had it as well but I've traced it to Texture Replacer, shame too cause it looks gorgeous. Anyone else have that problem? Cause I get the feeling I done goofed at some point.

Could you upload you log? That happened to me too, when I first tested TR with 1.0 yesterday but TR has seen massive changes since then. Does this happen with 2.4 or the experimental DLL?

Slight problem :/ - with the forceLegacyfemales set to false, Valentina keeps being set to a male model. I keep changing her back to a female in the persistent file but every time I restart the game she is turned back in to a male. Any help?

Just to clarify, have uninstalled Texture Replacer and it fixes the problem. Also tried changing to true and it doesn't help :/

Edited by WillHop

Slight problem :/ - with the forceLegacyfemales set to false, Valentina keeps being set to a male model. I keep changing her back to a female in the persistent file but every time I restart the game she is turned back in to a male. Any help?

Just to clarify, have uninstalled Texture Replacer and it fixes the problem. Also tried changing to true and it doesn't help :/

Could you upload your persistent.sfs?

Try to change her to female in TRScenario section of persistent.sfs. Look for "Valentina Kerman = M ..." and replace "M" with "F".

- - - Updated - - -

Does no one have the default female head texture?

"kerbalGirl_06_BaseColor" in sharedassets0.assets.

Where should the 2 config files in the "Extras" folder be put? "Gamedata/TextureReplacer/"?

Meanwhile, I installed it (I've used it for a long time) and it looks like you've nailed it - as least as far as I use it. All we need now is for someone who made the "boy" heads to make new "girl" heads - which isn't you.

I find the class suits invaluable, esp since there's nothing else to tell me what "job" any given Kerbal has... :/

Edited by tg626

Where should the 2 config files in the "Extras" folder be put? "Gamedata/TextureReplacer/"?

Meanwhile, I installed it (I've used it for a long time) and it looks like you've nailed it - as least as far as I use it. All we need now is for someone who made the "boy" heads to make new "girl" heads - which isn't you.

I find the class suits invaluable, esp since there's nothing else to tell me what "job" any given Kerbal has... :/

You can put the extra config files anywhere to GameData you want, preferably to TextureReplacer's folder.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I know what happened. You used TR 2.3 with this game, then you upgraded to 2.4 and it didn't understand the new config format (M/F was added before the head and suit name) and assumed all Kerbals are male and forgot all head and suit bindings.

I think I know what happened. You used TR 2.3 with this game, then you upgraded to 2.4 and it didn't understand the new config format (M/F was added before the head and suit name) and assumed all Kerbals are male and forgot all head and suit bindings.

Yeah thats what I did. Any way I can fix it?

Edit: Think I fixed it? Changed the suit thing in the Persistent from M GENERIC GENERIC to F GENERIC GENERIC

Edited by WillHop

About female Kerbals: old female textures don't fit on the new models, eyelashes are on cheeks, tongue&teeth texture on ponytail etc.

Weirdly, this seems to be the case with the new texture too. I didn't want to wait for modders with graphical skills to do it, so I extracted kerbalGirl_06, had a play with it, and stuck the results in the heads folder. With the orientation it has coming out of the assets file, the hair ends up around the neck, with a bald head and various weirdnesses. Flip that up, and the hair seems alright, but the eyelashes are off to the side, you've got a tongue for a pony tail, and the back of the head has a wide seam. What did you do, Squad? What did you do?! Maybe if you flip the head part of the texture, but leave everything else more or less where it is, it might work?

I was hoping to have a couple of basic textures to throw online until someone with the right skill got around to doing it right, but... this is a bit beyond me. I think I could probably work out where everything goes eventually, definitely before heat death at least, but I'm not sure it would be worth it by then.

Weirdly, this seems to be the case with the new texture too. I didn't want to wait for modders with graphical skills to do it, so I extracted kerbalGirl_06, had a play with it, and stuck the results in the heads folder. With the orientation it has coming out of the assets file, the hair ends up around the neck, with a bald head and various weirdnesses. Flip that up, and the hair seems alright, but the eyelashes are off to the side, you've got a tongue for a pony tail, and the back of the head has a wide seam. What did you do, Squad? What did you do?! Maybe if you flip the head part of the texture, but leave everything else more or less where it is, it might work?

I was hoping to have a couple of basic textures to throw online until someone with the right skill got around to doing it right, but... this is a bit beyond me. I think I could probably work out where everything goes eventually, definitely before heat death at least, but I'm not sure it would be worth it by then.

I'm no expert but when I had a similar problem when modding FSX dds files it required flipping vertically then horizontally, May be worth a try?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.