[0.90] [Parts] Interstellar Flight Inc. - Life Support Parts Expansion v0.1.1 [Updated 24th Jan]

Akinesis

Update to v0.1.2 - 16/02/2015

Interstellar Flight Inc. is a simple life-support plugin for Kerbals. This Mod is needed for these parts.

IFI Release Thread is found here.

Download the version 0.1.2 here.

I love this Mod as it forces the player to look after their Kerbals without too much complexity, but retains the penultimate punishment if the needs of any space-faring Kerbals are ignored. While this Mod continues to be developed, I wanted to increase the part options for storing life-support for the interim. I am happy with what I achieved and, after contacting Stavell, decided to release what I have done.

There are currently seven modules added - x4 radially-attached containers and x3 in-line stack-able tanks of various sizes:

66p37k7l.jpg

cGGDtAfl.jpg

D84vPxhl.jpg

AElr2gMl.jpg?1

Now includes and optional KAS install for the small and large life support containers. These must be fitted using the KAS racks and can be picked up by Kerbals.

5xdomQwl.jpg?1

The containers have been loosely compared to real-life weights to help decide the quantity of life-support that these should hold. However, please test and see that everything is balanced (tech tree placement, cost, Life Support capacity, etc). Once I have positive feedback on these values then I will do an official release.

SHOUT OUTS:

- Firstly, to Stavell for creating this mod and for letting me contribute.

- Secondly, to zzz for his amazing gift of free-to-use parts to the community.

- Thirdly, to Whyren as it is clear I have completely copied his idea.

LICENSE

This is released under the WTFPL

FUTURE PLANS

- There are greenhouses and some other parts from zzz that I could use (again, the same way Whyren has done). I might consider these, but there is already a green house part for IFI.

- Contracts to re-stock life support for space stations, bases and vessels.

Change Log:

v0.1.2 - February 16th 2015

-Increased size of all containers to match KAS (does not increase Life Support capacity)

-Added a 'tiny' 1-day container for use with rovers

-Included optional KAS compatibility for Small and Medium containers

v0.1.1 - January 24th 2015:

-Increased small container from 10 to 20 to bring it in line with the Universal Storage part

-Increased medium container from 20 to 35

-Increased large container from 40 to 80

-Increased small tank from 50 to 100

-Increased medium tank from 300 to 360

-Increased large tank from 900 to 1200

-Fixed spelling and grammar errors in all part descriptions

v0.1.0 - January 6th 2015:

-Initial release

Edited by Akinesis

Thanks guys, I'm glad this is of use to people. Please let me know of any balance issues or bugs. If all is well, then I will add this to the Release thread.

Sorry, I hadn't taken the time to test it ;)

It works fine for me, I don't know if that's really important but I think that:

- the Life Support Module - Medium needs a little more Life Support than the IFI Life Support Tank, because the IFI Life Support Tank can store a Kerbal in it (50 LS would be good or a little less :P),

- the Life Support Container - Small has quite the same volume as an Universal Storage tank but the Universal Storage tank can store 21 LS (if we look at KAS, the small container has 40 slots and the Universal Storage tank also has 40 slots ;)).

Edited by Malah

Sorry, I hadn't taken the time to test it ;)

It works fine for me, I don't know if that's really important but I think that:

- the Life Support Module - Medium needs a little more Life Support than the IFI Life Support Tank, because the IFI Life Support Tank can store a Kerbal in it (50 LS would be good or a little less :P),

- the Life Support Container - Small has quite the same volume as an Universal Storage tank but the Universal Storage tank can store 21 LS (if we look at KAS, the small container has 40 slots and the Universal Storage tank also has 40 slots ;)).

It's funny you should comment on these areas. Originally, the box containers had twice the amount that they do now, but I slashed the quantity in half just because I thought it was more realistic (these boxes are technically dealing with food, water, air and the waste from all three). So I figured that I'd reduce them with this in mind (I didn't think to compare them to the US pod, though!). As for the medium tank, I had it at 400 to begin with, but reduced it to 300 as it was easier on the maths (this tank would probably be used mostly with the Mk1-2 Pod). Maybe I will up it to 360.

Thanks for the feedback!

***Parts updated 24th Jan 2015 to v0.1.1***

The small container was increased to bring it in-line with the Universal Storage part. Naturally, this caused all higher-tier containers to be bumped up.

Please report back with any issues (balance or otherwise).

Many thanks!

Edited by Akinesis

Hey Akinesis, if you were up for it, I think a 1 day micro container like my lunchbox idea discussed in Stavell's thread would be a fun addition. Totally not needed of course given the US EVA-X, but something about a lunchbox... just seems like a Kerbal thing to have around :)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, your radial attached containers are great; have you considered making a version that would fit the KAS container rack mounts? I only ask because I often symmetry attached a set of KAS racks and it would be great to just snap in some IFI LS to one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

***Parts updated 16th Feb 2015 to v0.1.2***

Added a micro container intended for rovers as a '1 day' module as suggested. Also added an optional install for KAS compatibility for the small and medium containers. See the OP for the updated information.

Thanks for the suggestions!

OK, quick update from my testing...

First of all, I love the resize of small and medium containers to fit the KAS racks, great idea! :wink: I did however notice an issue: when the KAS racks are mounted with the bars running up-and-down, taking a container out and then putting it back causes it to remount in a side-to-side orientation (off by 90 degrees). No biggie because it does re-attach, it just looks a bit odd after.

Also, I'm not sure if it was deliberate or an oversight, but there is no KAS ability for the tiny (lunchbox) container. I made a quick change to add KAS and make it storable too, that way I can add it where I want, use it, refill it from the mothership, use it some more, and put it away when I'm done :)

Thanks again for these great addons to my favorite LS system!

Edited by maxrsp

Hello, if need, I've made a little MM config to avoid the Optional KAS directory. It's easier to use and automatic ;) You just need to add a file, example: GameData/IFILS_PX/modulemanager.cfg and it will work (KAS has the modulemanager.dll, you don't need to add it to your mod).

@PART[LifeSupportContainerSmall]:HAS[!MODULE[KASModuleGrab]]:NEEDS[KAS,IFILS_PX]:FOR[IFILS_PX]:FINAL
{
%MODULE[KASModuleGrab]
{
%evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.10, -0.15)
%evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
%attachNodeName = bottom
%customGroundPos = true
%dropPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, -0.55)
%dropPartRot = (-10.0, 0.0, 0.0)
%bayType = containerA
%bayNode = bottom
%bayRot = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)
}
}

@PART[LifeSupportContainerMedium]:HAS[!MODULE[KASModuleGrab]]:NEEDS[KAS,IFILS_PX]:FOR[IFILS_PX]:FINAL
{
%MODULE[KASModuleGrab]
{
%evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
%attachNodeName = bottom
%customGroundPos = true
%bayType = containerB
%bayNode = bottom
}
}

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks RobotsAndSpaceships!

jpkerman, they are a feature with the model itself. I simply left it in. I one day hope to utilise the function, though. However, I fear this function is buried in the raw model file, which I can't access. At present, I use them to indicate to myself which tanks are currently depleted of life support. They may have served a purpose with the original mod, as they are originally branded as anti-matter tanks IIRC. But the original code renders the models useless, anyway. They would not work for their intended purpose now. For the moment, just accept them as changeable decoration.

Edit:

Just for info, I am out of the country at the moment and unable to work on the mod, so please forgive the delay with the update.

Edited by Akinesis

• 1 month later...
I haven't forgotten about this mod. I have been working on it, but not having much success. Malah, your code didn't seem to work. I have a few ideas though.

Ha yes, sorry I haven't seen that the node_stack_bottom isn't on your default config ;)

I've added "%attachOnPart = True" to be able to attach the container on another part (the default KAS container uses a support which is integrate on your model).

@PART[LifeSupportContainerSmall]:HAS[!MODULE[KASModuleGrab]]:NEEDS[KAS,IFILS_PX]:FOR[IFILS_PX]:FINAL
{
%node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.3968, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
!node_attach
%MODULE[KASModuleGrab]
{
%evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
%attachNodeName = bottom
%customGroundPos = true
%bayType = containerA
%bayNode = bottom
%attachOnPart = True
}
}

@PART[LifeSupportContainerMedium]:HAS[!MODULE[KASModuleGrab]]:NEEDS[KAS,IFILS_PX]:FOR[IFILS_PX]:FINAL
{
%node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.7596, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
!node_attach
%MODULE[KASModuleGrab]
{
%evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
%attachNodeName = bottom
%customGroundPos = true
%bayType = containerB
%bayNode = bottom
%attachOnPart = True
}
}

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.