Free 3D NASA models.

spec24

Neat :)

[--img width=500 height=313]http://www.somethingthatdoesntsuck.com/Downloads/hawk.jpg

Its a fairly simple model really, could use a lot of poly reduction though. With most of these stock models its sometimes faster just to create something from scratch then spend the time converting them. Plus something from scratch gives you more control to better match the atmosphere of the game.

Edit: Image issue

You use Lightwave (my own personal favorite :))

Not to be too off-topic, but is there a Lightwave > KSP tutorial somewhere? I\'d love to try my hand at parts-making!

Most of the NASA free models I\'ve looked at in the past. Most are very polygon-heavy, and would need a lot more simplification for use in a game. Not to mention most don\'t have any texture to speak of. In another Indy development I\'m modestly involved with, it was suggested in the past to use some of them, but the engine wouldn\'t exactly handle such a high poly count well. I\'ve tried reducing a few of the models that were more modest in approach, but I can\'t do it enough justice to maintain the accuracy of the model.

Having that predator in-game would be ultra-nice though (as well as the other Indy project I\'m involved with). Hmm, might have to reopen that old topic on the other game engine for study, just for S&Gs.

I dont think there is currently any lightwave tutorials kicking about for ksp, although that would be really cool :P Currently I bounce between creating things in LW and zmodeler and export everything out as .3ds to blender for final assembly and exporting to ksp.

do yoy know how hard that will be to brake up and texcher

Yeah, if you don\'t know what you\'re doing.

It would take me less time to clean up and texture most, if not all, of these models than it would take me to research, model and texture them.

It took me less than 30 second to reduce the amount of polygons in the viking lander from over 65000 polygons to slightly over 2600 with plenty of detail for a game model - maybe a little tweaking to reduce that number even more, but not bad for less than 30 seconds.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.