Maxmaps Talking some MP

I'm still not seeing how the 2 ships in technical fool's example are not synced in time. Each payer can warp at will, then sync later? That seems… bizarre. If Tardis were already in orbit, and was on the other side of Kerbin when DeLorean gets to the pad, are you saying they could warp until rendezvous? What about any other players? Say 2 people playing and they are in munar orbit. Seems like it should be Day 123, hour 7, minutes, seconds, etc for every player in the entire kerbol system at any given moment, or things are not exactly where an impartial observer in a fixed frame would see them.

It mentions (but in no way elaborates on) career. Could you run a shared career, that is persistent, and whoever joins the game can simply take over a craft and fly it? I suppose that is a way of having no time compression at all (or warp warps the whole clock)

I'm still not seeing how the 2 ships in technical fool's example are not synced in time. Each payer can warp at will, then sync later? That seems… bizarre. If Tardis were already in orbit, and was on the other side of Kerbin when DeLorean gets to the pad, are you saying they could warp until rendezvous? What about any other players? Say 2 people playing and they are in munar orbit. Seems like it should be Day 123, hour 7, minutes, seconds, etc for every player in the entire kerbol system at any given moment, or things are not exactly where an impartial observer in a fixed frame would see them.

It mentions (but in no way elaborates on) career. Could you run a shared career, that is persistent, and whoever joins the game can simply take over a craft and fly it? I suppose that is a way of having no time compression at all (or warp warps the whole clock)

I think that you should try it, you can find server IPs on technicalfool's signature.

IIRC private vessels are being worked on, so for now yes they can just fly it, but it will not be possible after it's implemented.

If someone is piloting it already you go on spectator mode.

I think that you should try it, you can find server IPs on technicalfool's signature.

IIRC private vessels are being worked on, so for now yes they can just fly it, but it will not be possible after it's implemented.

If someone is piloting it already you go on spectator mode.

Ahem, and http://d-mp.org has the public server list. While my public stock server gets a fair amount of traffic, there are other popular servers, just in case you join mine and find it empty!

It's sort of like watching youtube instead of just reading.

I've tried reading the descriptions here, and I'm still not quite clear on it.

If someone has a link to a really good video that explains it, it might help to see the system in operation.

• 2 weeks later...

How will freezes and memory allocation errors be handled? When one player's copy crashes during scene change, will the other players be able to continue, or will the freeze be "synced" to their copies?

How will freezes and memory allocation errors be handled? When one player's copy crashes during scene change, will the other players be able to continue, or will the freeze be "synced" to their copies?

Unsure about minor glitches. However, if your client outright crashes, as I recall, your vessel will just continue on a ballistic trajectory, acting like any other playerless craft (including getting deleted if in atmosphere below a certain height). I've ended up rejoining a DMP server after a crash before now and managed to rescue a craft approaching apoapsis.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.