How come Kerbals wear mittens instead of gloves?

smjjames

We've seen that they have fingers, so it's not like they have mitten-hands, so, what's the real or at least the canon reason for why they have mittens for gloves rather than actual gloves? which struck me as a bit odd.

As for real reasons, I would guess it's probably just a lot easier to animate.

Perhaps Kerbals have a low tolerance for cold since they also seem to always wear spacesuits.

It's because the Kerbals can't breathe outside air. They actually ARE aliens that landed on Kerbin after their interstellar trip. That's why the rest of Kerbin is abandoned... the main purpose of their KSC land base was to send and receive shipments from the home-world, but an unknown disaster cut off all communications. Now they're using the launch facilities to explore their new solar system, and someday maybe even return home...

inb4theresamodforthat

Well, any non-astronaut kerbal do not have any kind of spacesuits, even in VAB/SPH where a huge door is open to the outside. And we can see their fingers.

My first response to this was is a glass door but I think some vehicle go through it. So they must maintain positive pressure in the building.

Well, any non-astronaut kerbal do not have any kind of spacesuits, even in VAB/SPH where a huge door is open to the outside. And we can see their fingers.

That's because the Kerbals are using huge VAB/SPH-sized Air Curtains at the entrances.

(your turn now, ;))

We all know that the door is painted on the inside to look like the outside world. Why do you think it's always daytime?

I think its quite obvious really. Kerbals like mittens. They tried gloves once, and found them to uncomfortable, so they spared no expense when it came to their gloves, found they ran out of money when they developed mittens, and a whole boat load of em to, that they decided to stick with the mittens, and the rest of the money would go to the space program.

I know this isn't supposed to be about the "real" reason for it…but they sure look funnier that way.

They've got big heads, they talk funny, they trip and fall a lot, they think about snacks too much, they make things explode break far too often. If they're going to act like toddlers wearing snowsuits, they may as well look the part.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.