[1.3.0] Mobile Frame System [MFS] (v0.3.3) [29.05.2017]

riocrokite

Wow! Nice update riocrokite! I love the new movable parts (nice to see IR getting some love!) Grabbing the new version ASAP

cheers

Oh wow. Is this even real life? Easy way to move USI modules? Great job!

yah, I would appreciate feedback about the height of extendable vertical frame. From my experience it might be little too short for laboratory MKS+legs mods however the higher the frame the larger the fairing so it's not so compact to send in space.

Oooh. I just realized the attach/detach modules may works quite well as a way to attach/detach wings on SSTO space planes. Fly up to station, deposit wings, save weight, do space flight. Return to station, get wings, go back for atmospheric flight.

Interesting:) however please take into consideration existing bug concerning custom docking ports (they can't separate if you launch them together).

This is a cool mod. I like the frame parts and the way they work together. It's really sweet.

One suggestion, rename the "Testpart*" before you get very far into this. I think long term, having part names that are less generic will mean less potential for conflict with other mods. It'll break saves at this point, so you might need to include deprecated parts for a while. This is just a suggestion. I don't know of any other mods using that naming convention now so I'm not having any conflicts.

Good work.

Oh, just a thought, you may wanna redistribute Firespitter and JSIUtilities with your download ( i believe both of their licences allow for that , i know firespitter does)

I know most of use have firespitter, others may not have the JSI download, might save you some support questions later on =)

On a side note, I used your part configs to figure out how to use the FSmeshswitch command! :D spent a couple hours messing around with it before i remembered your mod already did what i was trying to do with my little side project (linked in my sig :P) So Thanks!

This is a cool mod. I like the frame parts and the way they work together. It's really sweet.

One suggestion, rename the "Testpart*" before you get very far into this. I think long term, having part names that are less generic will mean less potential for conflict with other mods. It'll break saves at this point, so you might need to include deprecated parts for a while. This is just a suggestion. I don't know of any other mods using that naming convention now so I'm not having any conflicts.

Good work.

Yah. Ultimately I plan to group parts on a bit different key so there will be more of them and less to switch, the target would be to integrate it nicely with CTT/stock tech tree, preliminary chart:

Fl1zMG2.png

Oh, just a thought, you may wanna redistribute Firespitter and JSIUtilities with your download ( i believe both of their licences allow for that , i know firespitter does)

I know most of use have firespitter, others may not have the JSI download, might save you some support questions later on =)

On a side note, I used your part configs to figure out how to use the FSmeshswitch command! :D spent a couple hours messing around with it before i remembered your mod already did what i was trying to do with my little side project (linked in my sig :P) So Thanks!

Cool, I'm glad it helped:) I've used B9 configs to learn how to do it;) Ah yeah, FSMeshSwitch optional weight display is not correct in vab/sph but it seems to work all right when in flight.

JSI/FS, yah probably will include them eventually.

Edited by riocrokite

I really like what I see so far. Have you thought about going procedural with your parts? The pack is already light but if you made it's footprint even smaller there would be no reason not to have MFS in your toolbox.

Procedural stuff would be nice to have however I need to finish normal parts first and see how it works. Then move to the second (and hopefully third) phase of my mining project (since this motivates me). So the short answer is - I don't plan it atm.

yah, I would appreciate feedback about the height of extendable vertical frame. From my experience it might be little too short for laboratory MKS+legs mods however the higher the frame the larger the fairing so it's not so compact to send in space.

Hmm... Methinks the solution to this is to add an additional frame that can rotate from horizontal to vertical position.

Hmm... Methinks the solution to this is to add an additional frame that can rotate from horizontal to vertical position.

yah, it will be included in frame delivery system (extandable frames that a bit wider + IR rotatron).

EDIT: It will take some time until I figure out how to develop nice and useful models for vertical frames since I have a few conflicts that already stall progress (look versus utility;i.e. sloped vertical frame looks nice but it's too narrow in upper part and cause part clipping)

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by riocrokite

something like that, what i've been trying to do is to create(im apparently terrible at making things in 3d) a cargo container that i can either drive something small in and out of, also walk kerbals into... i like to keep KAS containers and attachables in enclosed places like cargo bays. And im assuming that these frames are definitely going to be used off kerbin(would only make sense) so i would imagine putting all your little bits and valuables into a container like that.

Translating that into real world examples, on certain construction sites, there are mobile garages/offices based on either repurposed shipping containers or Prefabs to store all sorts of things from spare parts to small vehicles. I think one would make sense if you are making a semi-realistic mining process. Instead of flying or trucking an entire mining operation out onto a remote oilfield in canada, you are flying them in onto a resource patch on duna. :) and the best way i could think of bringing everything with you is in containers, not in the typical kerbal contraptions we come up with to deliver rovers and what not :)

kinda of an example.

img_0220__large.jpg

these guys are oil contractors, that thing is delivering a prefab office to an oil field in remote canada, but im not looking for a prefab house, just a rectangular box, a basic shipping container with either a ramp or just a section that flaps open so u can store smaller things inside, like a rover, or mining equipment/drills, heck even product, ores and what not.

being able to haul in a container like that on the back of that frame of yours would be awesome, then leaving it behind as part of the mining camp and bringing in another if needed.

then again it's straying from your mobile frame concept a bit, as it's an add on i guess. I'm trying to make one myself, but the process is a learning curve i wasn't expecting :/

another thought it a section of frame that you could lower. like the tail section with a folded up ramp that u can simply drive onto or off the frame itself.

HTB1SFHVHXXXXXXjXXXXq6xXFXXXL.jpg

Edited by Orange_Ignition

something like that, what i've been trying to do is to create(im apparently terrible at making things in 3d) a cargo container that i can either drive something small in and out of, also walk kerbals into... i like to keep KAS containers and attachables in enclosed places like cargo bays. And im assuming that these frames are definitely going to be used off kerbin(would only make sense) so i would imagine putting all your little bits and valuables into a container like that.

Translating that into real world examples, on certain construction sites, there are mobile garages/offices based on either repurposed shipping containers or Prefabs to store all sorts of things from spare parts to small vehicles. I think one would make sense if you are making a semi-realistic mining process. Instead of flying or trucking an entire mining operation out onto a remote oilfield in canada, you are flying them in onto a resource patch on duna. :) and the best way i could think of bringing everything with you is in containers, not in the typical kerbal contraptions we come up with to deliver rovers and what not :)

kinda of an example.

http://www.gomcmag.com/images/uploads/gallery/18737/img_0220__large.jpg

these guys are oil contractors, that thing is delivering a prefab office to an oil field in remote canada, but im not looking for a prefab house, just a rectangular box, a basic shipping container with either a ramp or just a section that flaps open so u can store smaller things inside, like a rover, or mining equipment/drills, heck even product, ores and what not.

being able to haul in a container like that on the back of that frame of yours would be awesome, then leaving it behind as part of the mining camp and bringing in another if needed.

then again it's straying from your mobile frame concept a bit, as it's an add on i guess. I'm trying to make one myself, but the process is a learning curve i wasn't expecting :/

another thought it a section of frame that you could lower. like the tail section with a folded up ramp that u can simply drive onto or off the frame itself.

http://g01.s.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1SFHVHXXXXXXjXXXXq6xXFXXXL/221403615/HTB1SFHVHXXXXXXjXXXXq6xXFXXXL.jpg

thx for examples Orange_Ignition, containers and openable ones would be surely nice to have.

Since I'm limited in time I will go for 'closed' resource D-shaped containers first and then will see is there an additional demand for openable containers (in different shapes). Also thanks to license and modular design there's nothing that stops others to make containers that fit MFS:)

As for ramp I'm cooking something that will fold to flat (fairing limitations) and be stable concerning KSP physics (so something that's similar to armored bridge layer)

couple of tests with hollow ramp and winch;

1. MKS mk1 (2.7t) - successfuly docked

2. MKS mk2 full (9.4t) - successfuly docked

3. 2 x 3.75 tanks empty (20t), literally too heavy to dock, however managed to get them onboard (I'm just lacking counterweight :P)

couple of tests with hollow ramp and winch;

1. MKS mk1 (2.7t) - successfuly docked

2. MKS mk2 full (9.4t) - successfuly docked

3. 2 x 3.75 tanks empty (20t), literally too heavy to dock, however managed to get them onboard (I'm just lacking counterweight :P)

http://imgur.com/a/FIAgZ

http://imgur.com/a/25kVj

http://imgur.com/a/oyJf5

Wow! Awesome idea with the winch and ramp. Why has this never been done before! :D Looking foward to playing with this.

Your frames are already in use in all of my current bases.

unfortunately vertical-to-horizontal stork method will have to wait until IR-docking port-separator issues will be resolved. After separation truck started floating above ground, IR hinges were off and then after yet another scene change it dissapeared :( (among other issues)

Edited by riocrokite

I'm finishing progress on core mod. I moved some parts to MFS optional extensions and some won't be needed now. I will need to do a lot of refactoring, regrouping and cleaning so next update will be save-game breaking (if you use current version).

In far future when I'm done with core mod projects I plan to work on better texturing.

Edited by riocrokite

• 2 weeks later...

This mod is exactly want I always wanted to be in ksp! Thank you for making this!

Do these trailer-things fit well with the caterpillar tracks?

Edit: the mod I was talking about is in the suggested mod list, so it'll probably be supported. Now it's even more awesome :)

Edited by ExtremeTrader

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.