[1.3.0] Mobile Frame System [MFS] (v0.3.3) [29.05.2017]

riocrokite

I still love these parts! So much usefulness in one simple epic package. The ability to strap a set of Kerbal Foundries tracks to the chassis and go crawling across planets and moons is nice, and I've found them to be excellent drilling and resource gathering platforms.

Would like to make two minor requests, though. One: A crew cabin/ habitat module in the ore-box styling, for use in making mobile bases. Two: A science lab in the ore-box styling for making super-size science rovers.

Otherwise, I've found just about everything I could want in here, other than (and I've seen you're working on it) some power-generation units and something to top the cabs with.

Also found the roll-caged safety seat to be useful for my IR+KAS mini-picker. I use it for moving small items around and loading little box-bed vehicles with said small items. Because there's just something fun about detaching something with KAS, dropping it, and having the Kerbal yell to the crane operator to pick it up and move it somewhere. After all, those parts are heavy.

yah cargo container shape cabins are in plans :)

Thank you! Will make building mobile mining bases/colonies so much nicer (and easier) with everything having beautiful matching colors. I've been having far too much fun building mining vehicles, and I'm glad to see that collapsible vehicle trick (KAS or KIS, didn't catch which, but either would work, I think) being prepared as well. I kinda like the idea of having to ship up a bunch of parts on a bunch of rockets, ship up a crew, and tell 'em, "You're here to establish Kerbin's first Mun colony. Your first mission: To assemble your mobile colony base. Use the included radio to send word home when you are done, we'll send you your mining truck and your science lab, along with more colonists."

Could see that being one of those fun ways to play KSP in Science Sandbox mode while having a purpose. Mining to make fuel, shipping rockets back up to an orbiting station, empties come back down to be refuelled, fuel truck comes by to pick up some gas cans and transfer them to Kerbin Orbit, extending the range of interplanetary vessels. At the same time, collect science from all over the Kerbol system with the mobile labs. And yet being able to ship up my massive, heavy mining vehicles in convenient round rocket tubes, carefully broken down so they fit nicely, packing every piece I could possibly need to get something going. Everything from the "Do-It-Yourself Series ACME Mun Rover" up to "Massive Industries Heavy Miner MK2" in a can, just ready to assemble on site.

And yeah, I understand needing to redesign the power modules for heat dissipation in vacuum, rather than just atmospheric. As for those underbody cargo racks, not sure how often I'd find myself using them as underbody racks, given I like Kerbal Foundries tracks under my heavy vehicles (because we all know real space-mining trucks run on tracks, not wimpy wheels) but I'm sure I'd come up with some place to put them that would end up useful. After all, that Hi-Lo adapter of yours makes an awesome protective crash bumper. And a bloody convenient way to mount some lights to the front of the truck.

Only thing I wish is that I could drive from inside the cabs, but, well, that can always wait a while longer. Right now, I'm having enough fun trying to, um... Well, I've been launching totally-not-weaponized scientific probes from the back of an extra-wide cargo chassis. Completely scientific. I just forgot to install landing legs and a parachute.

Might want to update the pointer link for the Infernal Robotics dependency in the first post.

Currently points to: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/37707-0-90-Magic-Smoke-Industries-Infernal-Robotics-0-19-3 , which, as of Apr 20, has been closed.

The new release thread for IR can be found here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/116064-Plugin-0-90-Magic-Smoke-Industries-Infernal-Robotics-0-20-0

Edit:

Nvm, wrong thread.

Edited by kari1393
Wrong thread (my mind was elsewhere).

Hello/Bonjour/Goeiendag riocrokite,

I'm enjoying the mod, immensely! I would like to suggest that you add Kermangeddon Industries as an Agency/Company/Manufacturer. I know RoverDude has done it for USI, as well as NecroBones for his SpaceY and Modular Rocket Systems. This seems to make an Automatic Filter, for all parts with that manufacturer. If I'm not using the correct terms; in VAB/SPH it's the little factory symbol.

It seems to be simpler than implementing a new tab, as was suggested:

Hey Rickorite,

would it be possible for you to move all your parts into your own tab in the VAB/SPH? Much like IR and RealChute do. It would help a TON in finding other parts and keeping all of your parts organized.

If you have done this, then I'd like to report a bug...

Thank you again for all your hard work. I'm looking forward to what you produce next.

Is it possible to link the vehicles into a train? Is there some sort of towbar/hitch part available or some sort of coupling that we could use if we wanted to build something similar to the soviet mobile nuclear reactor see in this thread?

Hello/Bonjour/Goeiendag riocrokite,

I'm enjoying the mod, immensely! I would like to suggest that you add Kermangeddon Industries as an Agency/Company/Manufacturer. I know RoverDude has done it for USI, as well as NecroBones for his SpaceY and Modular Rocket Systems. This seems to make an Automatic Filter, for all parts with that manufacturer. If I'm not using the correct terms; in VAB/SPH it's the little factory symbol.

It seems to be simpler than implementing a new tab, as was suggested:

If you have done this, then I'd like to report a bug...

Thank you again for all your hard work. I'm looking forward to what you produce next.

Yah, agency stuff is good idea, thanks. Will try to add for next release.

Is it possible to link the vehicles into a train? Is there some sort of towbar/hitch part available or some sort of coupling that we could use if we wanted to build something similar to the soviet mobile nuclear reactor see in this thread?

Docking ports work well :P you can also try with KAS magnet / winch / connector. As for hitch, lo-fi from Kerbal Foundries worked on advanced model but it had too many 'errors' and unpredictable behaviour for release I guess

Old IR bug. After launch everything should work ok.

If it's an old IR bug then it's one I'm certainly not aware of as none of the legacy or rework parts suffer from it. Maybe there's something in your Unity setup that is special and IR doesn't yet account for?

--------------------------------------------------

Edit; Oh, and on an unrelated note, these wheels will be coming soon (Large, Small). The larger one is around the size of the stock rugged wheel so they should fit in well with your frame system :). Here's what they can do: http://gfycat.com/CanineWellinformedAsiaticmouflon

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

If it's an old IR bug then it's one I'm certainly not aware of as none of the legacy or rework parts suffer from it. Maybe there's something in your Unity setup that is special and IR doesn't yet account for?

--------------------------------------------------

Edit; Oh, and on an unrelated note, these wheels will be coming soon (Large, Small). The larger one is around the size of the stock rugged wheel so they should fit in well with your frame system :). Here's what they can do: http://gfycat.com/CanineWellinformedAsiaticmouflon

Yah, I have no idea what might cause the bug since configs of the parts are pretty similar.

Congrats on mecanum wheels, cool concept :)

Yah, I have no idea what might cause the bug since configs of the parts are pretty similar.

Do you apply rotations to your meshes in Unity by any chance? I think I remember having an issue with 4 of my parts where they were rotated 180 degrees and as such got moved in the wrong way when in-editor. In flight they remained fine. In the end I had to apply the rotation in Blender before passing it to Unity. The resulting part was the same but IR liked it from then on.

Congrats on mecanum wheels, cool concept :)
I'm very pleased with the result, especially considering the motion is caused by the physics rather than some plugin trickery.
. Edited by ZodiusInfuser

Do you apply rotations to your meshes in Unity by any chance? I think I remember having an issue with 4 of my parts where they were rotated 180 degrees and as such got moved in the wrong way when in-editor. In flight they remained fine. In the end I had to apply the rotation in Blender before passing it to Unity. The resulting part was the same but IR liked it from then on.

I'm very pleased with the result, especially considering the motion is caused by the physics rather than some plugin trickery.

thanks for tip, I'll check rotation in unity. In the meantime I'll put it as a bug in the first post so people won't bother you nor Ziw about it.

speaking of wheels, maybe it would be a good opportunity to balance it together with kerbal foundries stuff so for people using both mods there would be different options for different situations?;)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84102-PARTS-PLUGIN-1-0-x-V1-8G-Kerbal-Foundries-wheels-anti-grav-repulsors-and-tracks?p=1951594&viewfull=1#post1951594

thanks for tip, I'll check rotation in unity. In the meantime I'll put it as a bug in the first post so people won't bother you nor Ziw about it.

To clarify this, I asked Ziw to look in to the code and have identified the reason it occurs. In-editor movement is achieved by rotating/translating the part around the defined axis, then rotating the fixedMesh in the opposite direction, the net result being that the fixedMesh appears not to move. However, it applies this to the local coordinate system of the fixedMesh, so if that doesn't align with the world axis then you get the effect of it rotating/translating at odd angles.

Looking at the code there does not appear to be an easy fix for this, so the solution is to recreate your Unity scenes with the meshes oriented correctly in the modelling program, such that no rotation of the fixed mesh is needed. This also explains why in-flight looks fine, as it goes though a different code path dealing with physics.

Hope that helps

To clarify this, I asked Ziw to look in to the code and have identified the reason it occurs. In-editor movement is achieved by rotating/translating the part around the defined axis, then rotating the fixedMesh in the opposite direction, the net result being that the fixedMesh appears not to move. However, it applies this to the local coordinate system of the fixedMesh, so if that doesn't align with the world axis then you get the effect of it rotating/translating at odd angles.

Looking at the code there does not appear to be an easy fix for this, so the solution is to recreate your Unity scenes with the meshes oriented correctly in the modelling program, such that no rotation of the fixed mesh is needed. This also explains why in-flight looks fine, as it goes though a different code path dealing with physics.

Hope that helps

Cool, cheers Zodius, I'll look into it and try to fix my stuff for the next update.

I can't make any changes to the mod files. It says that it's being used by another process, even if KSP is closed. I can edit all other GameData files just fine. What's going on>

I'm not having that problem with this mod are you using CKAN are something ?

I can't make any changes to the mod files. It says that it's being used by another process, even if KSP is closed. I can edit all other GameData files just fine. What's going on>

Looks like an issue outside of the mod or KSP scope, sorry :/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.