[1.9-1.10] Throttle Controlled Avionics

allista

7 hours ago, allista said:

Neither FAR, nor RO are explicitly supported in that no tuning has been specifically made for them. In the past they worked together with TCA fine, but that was in ksp-0.90. What you describe seems to be the result of overtuning of TCA's attitude control, which I'm currently reimplementing completely. So there's a chance the problem will go away with the update.

Ahhh ok. Will the update be available for 1.2.2 by any chance?

7 hours ago, Toontoonizer said:

Ahhh ok. Will the update be available for 1.2.2 by any chance?

Nope. I'm sorry, but I simply lack the resources to support multiple KSP versions that differ considerably.

8 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

This is so beautiful, I will give it a try now (had a try last year but now it seems to be improved very much).

I also will remove MJ then :D

MJ still does a lot of things that TCA cannot do. Especially many of the orbital maneuvers :rolleyes:

17 hours ago, allista said:

Neither FAR, nor RO are explicitly supported in that no tuning has been specifically made for them. In the past they worked together with TCA fine, but that was in ksp-0.90. What you describe seems to be the result of overtuning of TCA's attitude control, which I'm currently reimplementing completely. So there's a chance the problem will go away with the update.

This does look like a bug to me. I'll only see the video as soon as I'm home, though. Then I'll be able to tell more.

Edit: looks rather strange. First of all, I don't see any of the engines to fire up, as if there was no fuel. Prior to separation, boosters should have been ignited and fly off by themselves. Also, main throttle goes up after first stages were activated; but even then the remaining engine does not work (at least I don't see it does).

Which version of TCA do you use? And can you share the .craft file of this rocket so that I could test it?

This happens on TCA version 3.4.2, and you can download the .craft file here: http://i.tivec.org/KerLIF-One_w_Terentu.craft. However, I play with (quite a lot of) mods, so you may not be able to test it out. Here's my CKAN file: http://i.tivec.org/CKAN-TCA-Bug.ckan

Another really odd thing happened to me when I uses TCA's T-SAS. I had a lift vehicle that I wanted to deorbit, so I activated T-SAS and TCA, pointed it retrograde and fired the engines So far so good. However, the second the orbit became suborbital (periapsis <0m) T-SAS stopped working completely, and once TCA was turned off, I also lacked all sorts of SAS on the vessel as a whole.

8 hours ago, allista said:

MJ still does a lot of things that TCA cannot do. Especially many of the orbital maneuvers

I guess I was a little hasty, especially that in a career I only can see what TCA can do in further progress...

It was because I watched the videos and have seen a "normal" rocket launching into a circular orbit.
Then the landing from orbit which was so more precise than MJ attempts.

I guess I have to start small.
I'm using the "Unmanned before manned" tech tree together with SETI, but have already tier 2 manned pods unlocked.

Spoiler

Last night I just gave the MJ landing autopilot a chance and just watched it doing its job, but being aware of the fact that it does not auto stage to get rid off tanks that bring the whole craft into danger so I had to manually stage them away - incl. the RCS tank below the heatshield and the radially attached RCS thrusters on radial decouplers...
What a wonder, one (not so important) part on top exploded, crazy maneuvers within reentry plasma occured and the thing landed (by parachutes on landing struts) just less than 1km away from KSC ...
The vessel was a long cylinder made of two 1.875 MOL habitats stacked on top of each other with a 2.5m heatshield, two air brakes and 2 triple-parachutes...

Edited by Gordon Dry

Now I built a VTOL test craft with mostly OPT parts.

I know this craft is not well balanced, but it is able to smoothly take off and move to a target.

No FAR, no DR, but Realistic Atmospheres on top of Realistic Rescale.
And new RealFuels.

It was not able to just hover and hold the altitude, it always wanted to climb.
What could that be?

Log and craft:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6wnel7dxlajq15/2017-07-31-2 KSP.log.zip?dl=1

Edited by Gordon Dry

After trying a few more constructions which worked more or less using only small radial rocket engines, I finally had an attempt of jet VTOL again.

It was bad, it flipped and finally the game crashed after a lot of

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ThrottleControlledAvionics.AutopilotModule.UpdateCtrlState (.FlightCtrlState s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) FlightInputCallback:invoke_void__this___FlightCtrlState (FlightCtrlState)
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) FlightInputCallback:invoke_void__this___FlightCtrlState (FlightCtrlState)
  at Vessel.FeedInputFeed () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FlightInputHandler.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxosumxoxfyrwi3/2017-08-01-1 KSP.log.zip?dl=1

I will try with removing RealisticAtmospheres.

Edited by Gordon Dry

6 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

After trying a few more constructions which worked more or less using only small radial rocket engines, I finally had an attempt of jet VTOL again.

It was bad, it flipped and finally the game crashed after a lot of

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ThrottleControlledAvionics.AutopilotModule.UpdateCtrlState (.FlightCtrlState s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Vessel.FeedInputFeed () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FlightInputHandler.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxosumxoxfyrwi3/2017-08-01-1 KSP.log.zip?dl=1

I will try with removing RealisticAtmospheres.

This particular exception is also present in my logs: http://i.tivec.org/KSP - Bug.zip

[EXC 08:15:33.552] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ThrottleControlledAvionics.AutopilotModule.UpdateCtrlState (.FlightCtrlState s)
	Vessel.FeedInputFeed ()
	FlightInputHandler.FixedUpdate ()

I have a lot of other errors at the moment that I am trying to investigate, but since KSP does not keep log files between sessions I can't know exactly if the error is related to the other issues I am seeing.

Without Realistic Atmospheres it's a little better.

Intuitively I would say (without knowing how the code works etc.) that TCA is kinda hardcoded to the stock atmosphere and that it adjusts better with FAR installed but with stock atmosphere than with Realistic Atmosphere and without FAR.

It could be that RealFuels has to do with it because KER and all KER-based mods have issues with it.
If planet packs, Kopernicus etc. have issues with TCA? I don't know.

Now, as RealFuels is compatible to KSP 1.3, I really would like to stick with it.

Usually I'm a RO/RSS player when possible.

On 8/8/2017 at 9:22 PM, Gordon Dry said:

Could it be that TCA gets confused by

regarding the vessel-will-only-go-upwards-and-not-land-issue?

1 hour ago, Beetlecat said:

I would guess so if they're both active at once :)

No. Landing Height only changes the altimeter display and doesn't change any of the internal values like the ones that TCA uses.

15 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

No. Landing Height only changes the altimeter display and doesn't change any of the internal values like the ones that TCA uses.

oh! I was totally conflating that in my mind with vertical velocity controller. Seeing the author Diazo just made my mind hiccup. :wink:

I've used that and Radar Altimeter and neither affect TCA.

@allista I love this mod... I just wish I was not too stupid to run it hahaha. 

An example of that would be me trying to get the  'ToOrbit' function to work properly, now I did get it to work... but I would not say I did it 'Correctly'. For whatever reason when I enable smart engines and I let it launch, the engines will just 'Flame Out' after a second. It is even more hilarious if I have the 'SmartEngines' (#
#Smart Engines-This mode of operation is dedicated to orbital flight, so it is not recommended to enable it while flying on a planet, especially in VTOL-type ship.) on with 'AutoStage' with a 6 Booster 1 Core Asparagus... it is a magnificent staging lotus flower that immolates itself, in a quite beautiful manner if I do say so myself. Now if I disable the 'AutoStaging' and the 'SmartEngines' I am able to get the "ToOrbit' to work. Now when I am 70K the 'SE' functions as needed.

Brings me to my next bit of, 'Why I need to read a full user manual on TCA', when I am in orbit, it is all peachy, it goes to achieve the maneuver for circularize. However, the vessel lacking a suitable Reaction Wheel makes it spin slowly. So I am a genius and I try to add Omni-directional RCS Mono-propellant thrusters, this should do the trick and help it maneuver a little more gracefully. Which I was correct, It moves gracefully... right back into the ground :') because TCA for some reason degrades the orbit with the RCS

Which now I move to my finally problem I have, which I can only assume is my own fault as well. When I activate the Retrograde T-SAS to re-enter orbit... It will not point the vessel Retro... it points in a very strange, almost perpendicular to the ground. Like it thinks the Radial is the Retrograde. I have not figured that out as to why it does that yet, however I bet I did something wrong haha.

All in all, I am totally in love with TCA, keep up the amazing work, I love all of your mods. If I could suggest one thing, I would love a link to or for someone who is far more skilled then I am with this mod to make some... 'In Extreme Detail' Tutorial videos on all the features and what it can do, what it cannot do, and what some small trouble shooting solutions could be. Like setting up engine profiles and understanding why something might be acting the way it is so you can improve on it.

Now as I saw on a Youtube Comment, Tut Vids are time consuming and difficult and I agree with you and I respect that you have a life and are busy <3 that is why I ask for others to help out if possible. Either way 10/10 will TCA again, love it, you're awesome, everyone here not being a jerk is awesome, Love everyone

Ciao,
Necro

EDIT: !!Stream Footage, warning MATURE LANGUAGE!!

TCA Staging Really Funny.... I am not sure why?

Edited by zeineizoku
Added Videos of last nights stream and me getting upset and confused

What is the latest compatible version for 1.2.2 ksp ? I'm trying with 3.4.0.0 but I'm having trouble so far, the parts shop up in my tech tree as wanted but I have no interface button neither in the stock app launcher nor in Blizzy's toolbar. Do I need to do something ?

EDIT : Solved. I initially hesitated to replace AT_Utils because I already had it installed, and I was worried that I might break some other mod if I overwrote it. It may have, but at least it made TCA work. I'll edit if other issues rise, but is that likely to break one of my other mods ? Because I have a really, really insane amount of mods. I mean, I'm kind of surprised that my game hasn't yet developped consciousness and tried to dominate the world...

Edited by lBoBl

I'm sorry for not being here for a while: my new work leaves me little time to spare :confused:

But as little as it is, I still use it to make TCA and other mods better!

And now I need your help: as usual, for testing :wink:

TCA 3.5

!!! Beta Testing, Regression Testing !!!

Lots of improvements in orbital autopilots!

Completely reimplemented Attitude Control using PID cascades + gain scheduling + adaptive gains.

Lots of bugs fixed!

Lots of new bugs created! Lots of old functionality broken! (truly, I hope not!)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/givuxyi2biqaujz/AADNTc5mYVplkSPTj2rqluGQa?dl=0

Technical: TCA changes come along with many changes to AT_Utils, so if you're using any other of my mods and want to test, you need to also install the beta-versions of these mods (available through the same link). They will should work the same as current versions.

How to report bugs:

1. Try to reproduce the bug several times and write down the recipe for me to also reproduce it. 
  2. Collect output_log.txt (win) Player.log (linux, mac) and share it here (dropbox, gdrive, etc.). Note: KSP.log is almost useless, don't bother posting it.
  3. It would be great if you could also provide screenshots and/or videos of what happens.
  4. It would also help if you provide .craft files or .sfs (saves) files along with mod list for better reproducibility.

And thank you all in advance!

On 8/15/2017 at 11:13 AM, strudo76 said:

Can this be used in conjunction with RemoteTech for the purpose of landing on planets without comm signal, or with high signal delays?

TCA has no explicit support for remote tech; but it does for the stock comm net, acting like separate control source (which allows to lands without comm signal). So i guess it should also work with RT, but you may want to check it first in a sidekick save.

On 8/24/2017 at 1:02 AM, lBoBl said:

What is the latest compatible version for 1.2.2 ksp ? I'm trying with 3.4.0.0 but I'm having trouble so far, the parts shop up in my tech tree as wanted but I have no interface button neither in the stock app launcher nor in Blizzy's toolbar. Do I need to do something ?

EDIT : Solved. I initially hesitated to replace AT_Utils because I already had it installed, and I was worried that I might break some other mod if I overwrote it. It may have, but at least it made TCA work. I'll edit if other issues rise, but is that likely to break one of my other mods ? Because I have a really, really insane amount of mods. I mean, I'm kind of surprised that my game hasn't yet developped consciousness and tried to dominate the world...

AT_Utils a common library for all my mods. I'm not aware of anyone else who use it, so the only mods that need to be kept in sync with it are: TCA, Ground Construction, Configurable Containers and Hangar.

1 hour ago, Blackline said:

Is there a way to make the automatic gear/chutes etc. settings persistant? It bugs me that i have to switch them off before EVERY fligth...

In the beta, all settings that you can change in Editor, could be saved as default for new crafts.

In the current version it's only possible to save them per craft.

But there's no notion of global settings in TCA: everything is stored inside ships, and there's no propagation of config options to already flying ones.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a weird issue. I have a craft that is simply a ground construction space crane with a rover hangar underneath it, with 4 LV-909 terriers. I am landed on minmus and want to hover so I can move a few hundred meters. 

When I click hover and follow terrain, after several seconds TCA turns the engines to full throttle and burns until I forcibly turn AutoThrottle off. The engine limiters are all locked at 100%, which seems odd for TCA which usually oscillates around 99.something when at full power. It basically burns me on an escape trajectory out of minmus then stops because I haven't unlocked orbital control in career yet. 

I went to test the craft back at KSC on the launchpad, and it worked fine (after adding engines with enough thrust to hover). Then I hyperedited that test craft to minmus and it worked fine too; when I switched to the craft that was acting wonky, suddenly it started working fine. I feel like something got stuck somewhere and TCA didn't really have control over the engines like it should have. I was using it to execute the maneuver nodes on the way to minmus, but then I used mechjeb to land.

Anyway, has anyone seen this before?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have an idea, since you made this mod that I love and fundamental to Vtols, Suggestion of motors 1: Engines that were strong enough to work in atmospheres and in the vacuum preferably in the same engine, without the need of others parallel modes, but for those who already make such mods they could migrate to engines for extreme situations like vacuum or adverse weather conditions. Suggestion of motors 2: Vtol engines that work in vacuum for Space Vtols, would be great if suggestion 2 were compatible with suggestion 1 xD And if dealing with the creator of this incredible mod the basis for operation would be Throttle Controlled Avionics - Continued basically a MechJeb for motors, ie: Intelligent motors. =)

I'm trying to figure out if I'm experiencing a bug, an incompatibility, or a feature.

I recently returned to KSP, starting a brand new career mode with KSP 1.3.0 and including TCA 3.4.2.  The last version I think I played with was 3.2.x (KSP 1.2.2).

I noticed that my crafts were not gaining the TCA modules as I unlocked them.  I reviewed the in-game help and saw mention that previously launched crafts would not get newer TCA modules.  That mechanic sames fair enough.  

However, launching a NEW copy of same craft results in no new TCA modules.  If I created a brand new craft in VAB, I had the newer modules.  I tried editing the older craft in VAB, go so far as to re-root and delete/replace my Probodyne HECS with anewly spawned copy.  The craft still did not have the new TCA modules.

I decided to backup my ships folder and take a stab at editing the .craft file.  I found this section:

Spoiler

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleTCA
        isEnabled = True
        stagingEnabled = True
        EVENTS
        {
        }
        ACTIONS
        {
            onActionUpdate
            {
                actionGroup = None
                active = False
            }
            ToggleTCA
            {
                actionGroup = None
            }
        }
        VSLCONFIG
        {
            VesselID = 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
            Name = Minmus Lander & Return 5
            Enabled = False
            GUIVisible = False
            ActiveTab = 0
            ActionGroup = None
            WarpToNode = True
            AltitudeAboveTerrain = False
            DesiredAltitude = 0
            VerticalCutoff = 10
            BlockThrottle = False
            ControlSensitivity = 0.00999999978
            ControlTransform = 0
            SteeringGain = 1
            SteeringModifier = 1,1,1
            PitchYawLinked = True
            AutoTune = True
            SASIsControlled = False
            SASWasEnabled = False
            SavedUp = 0,0,0
            NeededHorVelocity = 0,0,0
            MaxNavSpeed = 100
            ShowPath = False
            VTOLAssistON = True
            AutoGear = True
            AutoBrakes = True
            StabilizeFlight = True
            UseCPS = True
            CorrectWithTranslation = True
            ShowManualLimits = False
            AutoStage = True
            AutoParachutes = True
            UseSmartEngines = False
            Squad = 0
            MacroIsActive = False
            EnabledTCAParts
            {
                item = TCAModuleHorizontalSpeedControl
                item = TCAModuleCollisionPreventionSystem
                item = TCAModuleRadar
                item = TCAModuleToOrbitAutopilot
                item = TCAModuleVerticalSpeedControl
                item = TCAModuleVTOLAssist
                item = TCAModuleManeuverAutopilot
                item = TCAModuleThrottleControl
                item = TCAModuleAttitudeControl
                item = TCAModuleAltitudeControl
                item = TCAModuleMatchVelocityAutopilot
            }
            AT
            {
                State = None
            }
            VF
            {
                State = None
            }
            CTRL
            {
                State = None
            }
            HF
            {
                State = None
            }
            BR
            {
                State = None
            }
            Nav
            {
                State = None
            }
            AP1
            {
                State = None
            }
            AP2
            {
                State = None
            }
            Engines
            {
                p = 0.400000006
                i = 0.200000003
            }
            SmartEngines
            {
                State = None
            }
            Path
            {
                Name = 
            }
            EnginesProfiles
            {
                ENGINESPROF
                {
                    Name = Default
                    Active = True
                    Activated = False
                    Default = True
                    NumManual = 0
                    OnPlanet = 2
                    Stage = -1
                    Level = False
                    SmartEngines = 0
                    Groups
                    {
                    }
                    Single
                    {
                        {
                            Name = Kopo-4e "Pancake" Liquid Fuel Engine
                            On = False
                            Limit = 1
                            role = MAIN
                        }
                        {
                            Name = MRS Decoupler, 2.5m Stack, Low Profile
                            On = False
                            Limit = 1
                            role = MAIN
                        }
                        {
                            Name = KL-1 'Volcano' Cryogenic Rocket Engine (KSX)
                            On = False
                            Limit = 1
                            role = MAIN
                        }
                        {
                            Name = KL-1 'Volcano' Cryogenic Rocket Engine (KSX)
                            On = False
                            Limit = 1
                            role = MAIN
                        }
                        {
                            Name = FTP-DS2 Stack Decoupler (2.5m)
                            On = False
                            Limit = 1
                            role = MAIN
                        }
                        {
                            Name = RE-M3 "Mainsail" Liquid Fuel Engine
                            On = False
                            Limit = 1
                            role = MAIN
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
            Macros
            {
                type = ThrottleControlledAvionics.TCAMacroLibrary, ThrottleControlledAvionics
                DB
                {
                }
            }
        }
        UPGRADESAPPLIED
        {
        }
    }

I guessed that the VSLCONFIG section was the offending problem since a newly created craft did not have that section.  Deleting that section did not cause any issues and the newly spawned copy of an old craft had the new TCA modules.

So, feature or bug/incompatibility.  It looks like a bug to me as the non-upgrading feature should be tied to crafts in the save file, not the .craft files.

Edited by NeuroticGamer
clicked save too soon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.