[1.9-1.10] Throttle Controlled Avionics

allista

I'm going to use TCA to create my own Grasshopper-like reusable rocket to make vertical takeoffs and vertical landings. Is there any limitation to the system when using one rocket/egine or I must include additional ones for optimal solution?

EDIT: it seems to work better or more balanced with more than one engine (I've added radial engines to my single-rocket solution).

Well, it should, because its main purpose is to balance engineS. One can only balance something with something else :sticktongue:

So I had a small lander en-route to a Mun encounter. Everything was going fine. I saved the game, went to bed. Next day I load the save and go to the lander to make my Munar insertion burn but, alas, when I throttled up my lv-909 I was met with a feeble splutter of thrust. It wasn’t a constant splutter; it would splutter a little, then stop, then splutter some more. KER showed me that the amount of thrust coming from each splutter was variable too. While inspecting the right click menu of the engine in search for the problem I saw that the thrust limiter was going up and down with each splutter. This made me realize it was likely a TCA issue, even though the engine was set as a main engine. Surely enough, after changing the TCA option to manual control the problem went away and I was able to complete my burn and keep Jeb from drifting hopelessly into a solar orbit. I’m not sure if this was a bug or an error on my part but though I should post about it here.

I can't for the life of me make TCA work since KSP 1.0.

I already posted here before but nobody could help me. I cannot even make the TCA button appear, so TCA doesn't work. I've tried everything, even running this mod on just a stock game plus toolbar. I don't play career. It simply doesn't work. Maybe it is because KSP is 1.0.4 and toolbar is for 1.0.2? I don't know what else to try.

TCA used to be a must-have long ago, but for 5 months now I've been struggling to even make its icon appear, much less make it work lol :( I'm on the verge of giving up and just going old-style: manual control.

I can't for the life of me make TCA work since KSP 1.0.

I already posted here before but nobody could help me. I cannot even make the TCA button appear, so TCA doesn't work. I've tried everything, even running this mod on just a stock game plus toolbar. I don't play career. It simply doesn't work. Maybe it is because KSP is 1.0.4 and toolbar is for 1.0.2? I don't know what else to try.

TCA used to be a must-have long ago, but for 5 months now I've been struggling to even make its icon appear, much less make it work lol :( I'm on the verge of giving up and just going old-style: manual control.

Pictures of your gamedata folder? Because honestly it is likely an install issue. I run it fine under 1.0.4 with the toolbar (which still hasn't been updated to get rid of the warning). I'm sure I am not the only one on 1.0.4 running this without issues.

You don't have module manager. Most mods don't work without it.

No it cannot be that. I had a huge gamedata full of mods + module manager but it still wasn't working before. I deleted everything and reinstalled the game in order to diagnose the problem. Right now I'm trying every combination possible of settings and folders and files to see what works and what doesn't.

I don't see the toolbar. I don't think you can get the icon without blizzy's toolbar.

The toolbar and TCA don't like each other on my KSP. Whenever I set my toolbar to display the TCA icon, and if I have ONLY TCA set to show on my toolbar, the toolbar disappears completely and I can only get it back by deleting the toolbar-settings.dat =_= Even without the toolbar, TCA should still appear on the App Bar up top I think.

Edited by Midnight Jade

No it cannot be that. I had a huge gamedata full of mods + module manager but it still wasn't working before. I deleted everything and reinstalled the game in order to diagnose the problem. Right now I'm trying every combination possible of settings and folders and files to see what works and what doesn't.

Whether or not it was the issue in your previous gamedata folder is irrelevant for this. The mod will not work without MM as per this file:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngine*]]:FOR[ThrottleControlledAvionics]
{
MODULE
{
name = TCAEngineInfo
}
}

So add MM to this install, put in toolbar and try that out. Then you can try figuring out why it isn't working in the other game.

~edit: @goldenpsp's folder is a excellent example of what it would look like. Your test install picture didn't have toolbar or MM and this couldn't possibly work. Your other install could be completely unrelated in the reasons it doesn't work so a screenshot of that gamedata would help.

OH.

MY.

GOD.

IT WORKS. IT'S ALIIIIIIIVE!

I got it to work on the stock app bar!!! And it's controlling my engines! Omg!!! Only took 5 months to get it working!!!

Had a new installation, was trying different combinations of Module Manager + toolbar + KSP settings... Nothing.

You guys won't believe this... You know what I changed? MY PLAYER NAME. I've been playing with the name "Mad Powers" for like an eternity. Pretty much since I started playing KSP. For the hell of it, I decided to create a new player: "Mad". Because... I was mad. And BAM. It worked. What the hell? Why??? It's a new installation. I went back to Mad Powers, doesn't work. So I deleted Mad Powers (the folder even), recreated it under the same name. Doesn't work. Go back to Mad, it works. Huh??? Is it something about compound names? Or is my name just stupid? This is insane.

This is how my Gamedata looks like right now:

c6Ua5Uw.jpg

I'm so scared of changing anything now.

OH.

MY.

GOD.

I got it to work on the stock app bar!!! And it's controlling my engines! Omg!!! Only took 5 months to get it working!!!

Had a new installation, was trying different combinations of Module Manager + toolbar + KSP settings... Nothing.

You guys won't believe this... You know what I changed? MY PLAYER NAME. I've been playing with the name "Mad Powers" for like an eternity. Pretty much since I started playing KSP. For the hell of it, I decided to create a new player: "Mad". Because... I was mad. And BAM. It worked. What the hell? Why??? It's a new installation. I went back to Mad Powers, doesn't work. So I deleted Mad Powers (the folder even), recreated it under the same name. Doesn't work. Go back to Mad, it works. Huh??? Is it something about compound names? Or is my name just stupid? This is insane.

http://i.imgur.com/c6Ua5Uw.jpg

Wow! While that technically doesn't make any sense (there must be something lingering in a config attached to that game name) the technospirits are not easily appeased and we have to save our "understanding" for another day.

Wow, that's strange. Come to think of it I don't recall having ever had a name with a space. Spaces can cause issues, but still very odd.

Glad to hear it's working. The mod is quite excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm receiving a lot of these error messages with a massive decrease in FPS when the lasted TCA beta version is enabled:

[EXC 17:44:53.957] NullReferenceException UnityEngine.Transform.get_position ()

ThrottleControlledAvionics.VesselWrapper.UpdateRTorqueLimits ()

ThrottleControlledAvionics.ThrottleControlledAvionics.FixedUpdate ()

It was was working perfectly, but it seems that this started to happen after ModuleRCSFX (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92290-1-0x-ModuleRCSFX-v4-2-Aug-23/page11)was updated. Other possible co-founders are StockBugFix MOD (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97285-KSP-v1-0-4-Stock-Bug-Fix-Modules-(Release-v1-0-4b-2-1-Aug-15)) and the recent Kopernicus update.

OH.

MY.

GOD.

http://i.imgur.com/c6Ua5Uw.jpg

player name? is that like, the name of the save folder in the ksp folder?

I'm terribly sorry I was unable to attend to the forum last weeks. Right now I'm waiting for a flight to Kamchatka where I'm going an expedition, so I doubt I'll have any means of communication for several weeks.

Still, I'll try to answer the last few posts.

Hey Allista, are you getting my private messages? :blush:

Yes, now I see, sorry. To answer your question: I was going to factor out some utils, resized included, to a library, but that would be a decent but of work. Besides, why don't you just use the TweakScale? It is much more flexible, have all the options and is more stable and well supported.

can you have a version that has it set to work with the apptoolbar, by default, even with toolbar installed? its not showing up inflight, and i think its a bug with toolbar. thanks in advance

Find the TCA.glob file under ThrottleControlledAvionics subfolders and look at the top. There's an option just for that. Beware, though, that this file should be rewritten on update.

I'm receiving a lot of these error messages with a massive decrease in FPS when the lasted TCA beta version is enabled:

It was was working perfectly, but it seems that this started to happen after ModuleRCSFX (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92290-1-0x-ModuleRCSFX-v4-2-Aug-23/page11)was updated. Other possible co-founders are StockBugFix MOD (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97285-KSP-v1-0-4-Stock-Bug-Fix-Modules-(Release-v1-0-4b-2-1-Aug-15)) and the recent Kopernicus update.

Noted. I've tried to make a fix for that, but haven't tested it yet. It'll be included in the next beta.

But as a small parting gift I would like to left you with another beta version. But any beta, mind you. Despite the numbers in a filename, it is a full fledged TCA-3 beta!

I can't list all the new features from from the phone, but here's a few major ones:

1) support of multiple vessels simultaneously

2) advanced autopilot with navpoint navigation and automated landing

3) comprehensive engine profiles with automated switching (but that's the most untested one)

You may download it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/55scbipzo99z4gg/ThrottleControlledAvionics-v2.3.0.6.zip?dl=0

Please, do test it while I'm hunting for some hyperthermophilic archaea in hot acid swamps =]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.