[1.9-1.10] Throttle Controlled Avionics

allista

What causes the Full TCA Menu to appear sometimes and sometimes not?

Many times I only seem to get the basic menu without the additional overlay and no options in panel for Orbital controls etc...   I.E Hover mode buttons and Orbital Selection in menu...?

14 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

What causes the Full TCA Menu to appear sometimes and sometimes not?

Many times I only seem to get the basic menu without the additional overlay and no options in panel for Orbital controls etc...   I.E Hover mode buttons and Orbital Selection in menu...?

not having all the mods enabled will do that.  You can also see this if you dock with something that was launched without all the mods enabled.. you dock and undock and now poof both your craft have the lowest common denominator of the modules that they had before the docking... I think it's being worked on(?) but in the meantime, turn all TCA modules on, on your space stations, before you launch them :)

On 1/11/2018 at 6:39 AM, ss8913 said:

not having all the mods enabled will do that.  You can also see this if you dock with something that was launched without all the mods enabled.. you dock and undock and now poof both your craft have the lowest common denominator of the modules that they had before the docking... I think it's being worked on(?) but in the meantime, turn all TCA modules on, on your space stations, before you launch them :)

How is this done exactly?

In the VAB SPH?

Or on the launch pad?

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

How is this done exactly?

In the VAB SPH?

Or on the launch pad?

Thanks!

in VAB/SPH... push the TCA button, "select modules," then "enable all".  Assuming you have all the required tech nodes unlocked.

so I'm still baffled as to why/how my craft's thrust can't be balanced when I use hydrazine, but can when I have the engines in atmospheric mode.. if I monkey around with the thrust % with TCA off, I can manually balance it, so it's not that the craft is designed in a way that thrust balancing cannot be achieved... this seems like recent behavior, too, I could swear I didn't have this problem a few months ago.

Is there something weird going on with the Hover/Follow Terrain settings? When setting hover with follow terrain on, positive numbers are turning red, and mousing over the Alt. (m) word says that the desired altitude is below the ground. TCA is complaining about ground collisions and maintaining an extremely high altitude relative to the desired setting. Just not behaving in the way I was used to at all. 

Anyone else seen weird behavior here?

Edit: Looks like I'm seeing this:

https://github.com/allista/ThrottleControlledAvionics/issues/46

Major bummer; guess AVP has to go.

Edited by drhay53

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sir.  Really appreciate the mod.  Nice work.  Had to read a couple of times the manual but now it's ok.  I had a question though.  After many testing with all the options I was unable to achieve what I was looking for.  While hovering with a gunship type aircraft ( no vertical nor horizontal movement just maintaining a set altitude ) I cannot make my craft rotate horizontally.   I mean  rotate the nose for example where the tail was and vice versa. I have sufficient manoeuvre and trust engine and even many RCS on the side.    All help would be appreciated .    

32 minutes ago, Davaeron said:

Hi Sir.  Really appreciate the mod.  Nice work.  Had to read a couple of times the manual but now it's ok.  I had a question though.  After many testing with all the options I was unable to achieve what I was looking for.  While hovering with a gunship type aircraft ( no vertical nor horizontal movement just maintaining a set altitude ) I cannot make my craft rotate horizontally.   I mean  rotate the nose for example where the tail was and vice versa. I have sufficient manoeuvre and trust engine and even many RCS on the side.    All help would be appreciated .    

Make sure you do not have VTOL mode selected. That will cause the movement keys to act as directions of thrust, but since you most likely are in Stop mode, they wont actually do anything.  You could also try using the Bearing option, but that has mixed results for me.

20 minutes ago, armegeddon said:

Make sure you do not have VTOL mode selected. That will cause the movement keys to act as directions of thrust, but since you most likely are in Stop mode, they wont actually do anything.  You could also try using the Bearing option, but that has mixed results for me.

Well thank you very much for the quick reply. Disabling VTOL mode works wonder but makes the craft highly unstable during the rotation,  needing to engage it back as soon as it tilts.  Manually setting a bearing works better for me and the craft .  I guess I could just go where I wanna go and near the landing site adjust the bearing I want since when in horizontal flight it is much easier to point the nose where you wanna go.  Will continue to experiment !

2 hours ago, Heckspress said:

Does this mod have any features that assist in fixed-wing, pure horizontal flight or just VTOL? Thank you

Pretty much just VTOL, I believe.  It only really cares about engines...

Though I could see it being useful for a multi-engine craft who's trying to balance itself as the engines cut out.  It might be able to help there.

5 hours ago, Heckspress said:

Does this mod have any features that assist in fixed-wing, pure horizontal flight or just VTOL? Thank you

if you add a back engine the plane can fly horizontal, but you also need engines for vertical fly... you have to set the back engine to manual or only thrust, i think and the others thrust and maneuver.

4 hours ago, Acvila said:

if you add a back engine the plane can fly horizontal, but you also need engines for vertical fly... you have to set the back engine to manual or only thrust, i think and the others thrust and maneuver.

I did that with an hovercraft I build using to collect some of the more difficult to land at science on Gael (Kerbin replacement in Galileo's Planet Pack). Only problem is that when the craft tries to slow down, it has a tendency to want to spin around and use those rear facing engines for braking instead of pitching up and using the hover engines for braking. I ended up adding a pair of reversible engines and setting up an action group to switch them to reverse thrust after the craft gets up to speed. It maintains speed using the two main engines, pitches up to start slowing down as the destination approaches, and then uses the reversed engines to come to a final stop and fix position since it always overshoots the target. This craft uses all electric fans from MkIV Spaceplane System for hovering, Turbofans for main engines and propfans for reverse from Thor Tech, all build around a OPT-J main body with adapters to Mk2 nuke reactors from Mk2 expansion to power everything. I don't have to carry any fuel, so the COM is static and easily balanced for efficient hovering.

With the recently updated Feline Utility Rover hover engines, I'm going to see if they can improve the speed, as the current design cannot go faster than 125kph horizontally as it kills the intakes on the hover fans and causes an instant unrecoverable tumble, which makes getting to some of the more distant spots to collect science very time consuming. Don't particularly like spending an hour flying to the poles even with x3 physics warp (x4 tends to cause TCA to go unstable)

Has anyone encounter difficulty with the  STubbs Linear aerospike engine and TCA in Vtol mode.  This engine comes with SXT mod and TCA cannot seem to control the thrust...?

****edit****

Noob error here.  The nose was too heavy and there were not enough thrust there to lift it so the back thruster were not powering up to max level for it would have make my plane tumble!! 

Edited by Davaeron
Solution found

I'm having big trouble with the whole landing and orbit landing autopilots, and there is no solution (or instructions on how to use the autopilots, maybe i'm blind) in the manual. 

Is there any way i could contact you, so you could help me on my issue? Preferable not on the forums, because i can not send personal messages. Discord? 

All i want is for the rocket to land back at the KSC Launch Pad (or at least somewhere near it), but the autopilot either doesn't land or goes nuts. Could you provide some kind of detailed instructions on how to use the landing and orbit landing autopilots? I'd be massively thankful.

1 minute ago, vitekc45c said:

Is there any way to make this mod partless? As in ad the modules to existing command pods / probe cores and remove all the parts and tech tree nodes the mod adds.

Hmm, last time I was check it is partless mod. But it require to you to unlock certain tehnological tree node to get all of features TCA can offer. IIRC, only stock probe is required on craft.

Hi. This is one of my favorite mods, but I'm having some trouble. Everything works fine, except trying to rendezvous from KSC launch pad. Rendezvous works if I'm already in orbit, but when I try it from the ground, it immediately stages while saying "Waiting for Launch Window." Then it just goes straight up at full throttle, never staging boosters or changing from "Waiting for Launch Window." Any idea what the problem could be? tia

Heya! I'm just learning this cool mod and I think I have the idea of it mainly. I can't get Autostage to work properly. With it active and enabled "To Orbit" , once my first stage is out of fuel it stages *all* of my stages one after another. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? It's probably something really basic :S

1 hour ago, BlackTeacup said:

Heya! I'm just learning this cool mod and I think I have the idea of it mainly. I can't get Autostage to work properly. With it active and enabled "To Orbit" , once my first stage is out of fuel it stages *all* of my stages one after another. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? It's probably something really basic :S

Similar thing happens to me with kOS script autopilot on complex craft with heavy moded game. Or if my craft experience aerodynamic failure or some other similar malfunction.

Sometimes it is necessary to put "wait" command for 0.5 to 1 sec. before attempting to stage again. That will allow KSP game engine to "recalculate" craft and properly assign new properties to craft after staging. It may be similar issue with TCA too. Ability to have "wait" timer between staging might help with this.

TCA seems to be working for 1.4 but i can't say for certain because I cannot open the menu during flight. I'm not sure if this is a simple bad installation or a more serious error, if someone knows about the bug, could they please suggest a fix?

FI- I have full access to the TCA setup during the editor, but when i click on the TCA menu button in flight, it does nothing. I have other mods installed, so they might be affecting TCA, i'll try reinstalling with just TCA

4 hours ago, Xenophic said:

FI- I have full access to the TCA setup during the editor, but when i click on the TCA menu button in flight, it does nothing. I have other mods installed, so they might be affecting TCA, i'll try reinstalling with just TCA

Have you tried it in sandbox or career game ? TCA requires to unlock certain tech tree nodes before you are able to use it's features.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.