[1.9-1.10] Throttle Controlled Avionics

allista

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Ive noticed an issue when using this mod with OPT SpacePlane Parts and engines.  

Im finding that this mod, when activating an engine that has two modes, activates both modes at the same time.  For example, on an afterburner style engine this mod activates both wet and dry modes.  

Is there a way to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...

What does this mean?

Failed to load assembly D:\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ThrottleControlledAvionics\Plugins\ThrottleControlledAvionics.dll:
System.BadImageFormatException: Format of the executable (.exe) or library (.dll) is invalid.
  at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadImage () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadImageFrom (System.IO.Stream stream) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.IO.Stream stream, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.String fileName, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.String fileName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AssemblyLoader.ScanForBadTypeRefs (System.String file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AssemblyLoader.LoadExternalAssembly (System.String file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

1 hour ago, Gordon Dry said:

What does this mean?

Failed to load assembly D:\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ThrottleControlledAvionics\Plugins\ThrottleControlledAvionics.dll:
System.BadImageFormatException: Format of the executable (.exe) or library (.dll) is invalid.
  at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadImage () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadImageFrom (System.IO.Stream stream) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.IO.Stream stream, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.String fileName, Mono.Cecil.ReaderParameters parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule (System.String fileName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AssemblyLoader.ScanForBadTypeRefs (System.String file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AssemblyLoader.LoadExternalAssembly (System.String file) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Sounds like the mod install is corrupted.  Reinstall the mod

@ss8913 perhaps it's just because I removed CC - and I did that because nowhere it was mentioned to be a dependency.

I just let AT_Utils where it was.

I will readd CC and see if that helps.

Edit:

nope, that was not the reason.

and btw I use the dev

Edited by Gordon Dry

Hi. Is there any way to reset the profiles after pressing  "autoconfigure active profile"? That create several groups "Group 1 (G1), Group 2 (G2)" and I have no idea which engines belong to which groups. And I can not undo it by leave the game and re-enter.

unknown.png

Edited by Toranks

50 minutes ago, Toranks said:

Hi. Is there any way to reset the profiles after pressing  "autoconfigure active profile"? That create several groups "Group 1 (G1), Group 2 (G2)" and I have no idea which engines belong to which groups. And I can not undo it by leave the game and re-enter.

unknown.png

Each engine has a Group associated with it. If you do not manually assign an engine to a Group it defaults to Group 0 [I think].

As each engine belongs to a Group I would assume that if you click on the properties of an engine it will tell you which Group that engine is in.

So if you do something and have no idea which engine a Group is going to be controlling, just click on the engine and it will tell you which Group it is in.

Yeah, I still ask myself "What about staging and launching a "normal" rocket from the launch pad using TCA?" and still got no proper info about this ...

Actually I have the strategy to never use TCA for rockets, but for VTOL.

And I know I have to learn a lot, but I miss a proper full-blown manual or wiki ...

There is so much potential in TCA but I can't understand why everybody has to learn how to use it on his/her own and make the same "mistakes", like launching a rocket to orbit ...

Edited by Gordon Dry

Hi there.

Really like this mod, but seems that it doesn't play well with AFBW Revived (I use it for joystick support). Whenever I move my joystick in atmosphere, the craft's nozzle will point to the right direction, however TCA will try to cancel it with throttle control. I guess TCA doesn't know AFBW is doing input stuff so it tries to cancel it. Anything I can do to fix it?

Edited by jackey

10 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Yeah, I still ask myself "What about staging and launching a "normal" rocket from the launch pad using TCA?" and still got no proper info about this ...

Actually I have the strategy to never use TCA for rockets, but for VTOL.

And I know I have to learn a lot, but I miss a proper full-blown manual or wiki ...

There is so much potential in TCA but I can't understand why everybody has to learn how to use it on his/her own and make the same "mistakes", like launching a rocket to orbit ...

I too use it for VTOL, that is to say take of from landed. However I have started playing with it to land on a surface target from orbit. It seems to work quite well. Apart from the actual touch down. It seems to touch down and then immediately take off again. I have to do some quick mouse and keyboard work to overcome this. What I do is closely watch the altitude. Just above the surface I turn off TCA. Immediately I have to press X to make sure the engines are cut. Looks like most of the time when I turn off TCA the engines that are active are set to maximum thrust. Woosh.

Another niggle of mine is how TCA works out which engines to use. For example two sets of engines. One set for horizontal thrust, ie along the long axis of a space plane, normally used to push the craft along for flight. Another set of engines pointing downwards. Asking for level flight, with velocity set for less that actual velocity, I mean the horizontal speed, always uses both sets of engines. This results in craft tilting upwards as part of the rear, forward thrust engines are used to provide upwards thrust. Notice how I said that the slider in TCA is set for below current speed? In my mind that would mean that no thrust is needed from the forward thrust engines. The outcome is that for landing the craft comes down cheeks first. Rear wheel touch down first. Cutting the engines as outlined, the craft nose drops under gravity. This can lead to high stress on the front wheels. Provided they are substantial and survive impact, they can provide quite a bit of spring back, as the springs do their job. One way round the sloping nose up landing is of course to deactivate the forward thrust engines. But this then removed lateral, yaw control and forward speed control. Both of which are now solely controlled by the downwards pointing engines. Make a mockery of having engines attached specifically for extra control, ie engines not only pointing downwards for VTOL but also pointing forwards and backwards for horizontal forwards speed control. I have my engines set for thrust and man. If I set them for man. only, again the craft tilts as it now has to rely on the engines pointing down to provide forwards speed control.

It is an art using TCA. For a first time user it can see impossible. It is though a mod that personally I would not play KSP without as no other mod seems to come close to being able to use multiple engines for any fancy flying.

I don't use TCA for launching rockets vs space planes. I don't use TCA for a runway type take off for space planes. I do use it for VTOL take off on bodies that have no atmo. Basically go straight up as fast as possible, without forwards velocity. Once high enough, cut TCA and revert to forward thrust engines and hope you can go fast enough for orbit or escape.

Hey, thanks for the great mod!

I'm trying to build a VTOL mobile base for Minmus using the Feline Rover (Lynx) as the basis. TCA doesn't automatically understand that I want sideways pointed engines for quick horizontal turning (which is painfully slow in VTOL mode), regardless if I put them in "thrust & manoeuvre" or just "manoeuvre". How do I set up this mod so I have downwards facing engines for altitude, sideways for turning and backwards for orbital thrust?

On 7/20/2018 at 1:00 PM, Apaseall said:

It is an art using TCA. For a first time user it can see impossible.

First time user here, and I agree. I had a small control problem. I thought I'd solve it through TCA. Now I have many problems.

Though seriously, the one thing I don't get: can TCA be made aware of other autopilots? Like if I set Mechjeb's Smart A.S.S. to prograde +20 degrees, can TCA help me with this?

Dumbass question, I'm sure, but is there a version for 1.4.2? 

I ask because I installed both the 1.4.3 version and the one the one before that, ( think it was for 1.4.1?) and while it *technically* works on the 1.4.3 version, the menu isn't accessible in flight, so I can't switch the modes of the craft or do anything meaningful after the editor. 

Second stupid question, if there isn't a 1.4.2 version of this mod, would updating my KSP to 1.4.3 to gain full compatibility break saves or a lot of mods? I know that's not especially relevant to the discussion on this mod, but I know next to nothing about the severity of that update. 

I got an odd issue with TCA this time, and for the first time i cannot figure it out what's wrong.

i recorded it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zNq9IFWv66Iyp099XDd4jReWZKyH9oMu

once i activate TCA, the shuttle does not stay level anymore, its as if it thinks that both the front and the roof are the ship's top.

has anyone had something like this before?

1 hour ago, Denko666 said:

I got an odd issue with TCA this time, and for the first time i cannot figure it out what's wrong.

i recorded it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zNq9IFWv66Iyp099XDd4jReWZKyH9oMu

once i activate TCA, the shuttle does not stay level anymore, its as if it thinks that both the front and the roof are the ship's top.

has anyone had something like this before?

Not in my experience, but i've not used it with anything as large or as many engined as that yet.

Have you checked the engine balance in the hangar (with RCS build aid, etc.) and also made sure that all the VTOL engines are assigned to the correct mode? I'd have to fiddle with a similar craft to see if I could puzzle out what's going on, too.

Does it seem like plane trying to balance on the tail as if the giant rear engine were on?

13 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Not in my experience, but i've not used it with anything as large or as many engined as that yet.

Have you checked the engine balance in the hangar (with RCS build aid, etc.) and also made sure that all the VTOL engines are assigned to the correct mode? I'd have to fiddle with a similar craft to see if I could puzzle out what's going on, too.

Does it seem like plane trying to balance on the tail as if the giant rear engine were on?

Hi Beetlecat!

Yes, i think it is trying to use the big tail engine in the balance, even tho it isn't even turned on. My OPT based planes are all configured with a big rocket engine and a pair of Jet engines facing the rear, both set to 'manual' control in TCA using Group 1 and 2. On the bottom there is a cluster of VTOL engines divided in 3 sizes. The Largest are defined as group 3 and set to 'thrust' only, the mid-size ones are set to group 4, angeled to the sides a bit, and configured for both 'thrust and manouvering' and the smallest ones are mounted on the sides, assigned group nr 5 and set to manouvering only. 

This setup used to work literally for years. Sad to see it malfunction now

So I'm apparently trying to be ... more ambitious with some of my designs than TCA seems to expect.. and I've come to a conclusion; I really need the 2.x behavior back where it just balances the *engines* and doesn't touch the *RCS thrust limiters at all*.
Even if I put the engines in Thrust mode, turn off all the VTOL assists, and turn off all the modes in TCA except the master switch, it still wants to "adjust" the RCS thrust limiters, for some reason.  This has no noticable ill effects on light craft with standard RCS blocks, but when I'm dealing with 1,500t - 40,000t starships with very powerful RCS thrusters upon which the craft relies for orientation, it becomes a BIG problem where TCA will limit the RCS down to 5% or so and will leave them in a bad state even after TCA is disabled.
Is there any way to completely disable TCA's touching of RCS?  Like it used to be many years ago? :)

... and if not, could we maybe get a button in the UI that would disable the RCS functions as described above?

On 7/29/2018 at 2:45 PM, Laie said:

First time user here, and I agree. I had a small control problem. I thought I'd solve it through TCA. Now I have many problems.

Though seriously, the one thing I don't get: can TCA be made aware of other autopilots? Like if I set Mechjeb's Smart A.S.S. to prograde +20 degrees, can TCA help me with this?

Erm, I do not use TCA that way as TCA had its own autopilots. I tend to make quite sure that I only use one at a time. By that I mean sure have values in any or all of your autopilots, just make sure only one is actually turned on, in other words only one pilot trying to control the craft at a time. Now I could be completely wrong. Things may work great. I happen not to use TCA that way.

11 hours ago, Apaseall said:

Erm, I do not use TCA that way as TCA had its own autopilots. I tend to make quite sure that I only use one at a time. By that I mean sure have values in any or all of your autopilots, just make sure only one is actually turned on, in other words only one pilot trying to control the craft at a time. Now I could be completely wrong. Things may work great. I happen not to use TCA that way.

there are some functions that TCA doesn't support, though, such as in orbit... it can't hold specific vectors relative to the surface, nor do a zero-roll attitude, for example

6 hours ago, ss8913 said:

there are some functions that TCA doesn't support, though, such as in orbit... it can't hold specific vectors relative to the surface, nor do a zero-roll attitude, for example

You are quite correct. Here is how I do stuff. Use what ever auto pilot does it for you. If you cannot do it with that, tough. No. I joke. But seriously I only use TCA for VTOL stuff. So yes, use an auto pilot that will cut the mustard, then use TCA for VTOL stuff. Since I currently only mess with space planes, and I fly heavy, that means VTOL landing only.

8 hours ago, Apaseall said:

You are quite correct. Here is how I do stuff. Use what ever auto pilot does it for you. If you cannot do it with that, tough. No. I joke. But seriously I only use TCA for VTOL stuff. So yes, use an auto pilot that will cut the mustard, then use TCA for VTOL stuff. Since I currently only mess with space planes, and I fly heavy, that means VTOL landing only.

yeah I use MJ, TCA, Kramax, and fly-by-wire, all for different mission phases.. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.