[1.9-1.10] Throttle Controlled Avionics

allista

I feel really stupid. I'd swear it was not working on my first attempt. Now I have just made total contraption and it works no problem.

So it does work with ISP scaler. Apologies for stirring things up.

Good to hear it works :D

While testing, I myself sometimes forget to enable TCA before launch, or disable it hitting 'y' twice, or hitting 'y' out of habit after reverting flight when TCA is already enabled because its state was saved in config... Maybe it was just one of such cases :)

GG for this release!

the best configurable key binding i've seen is in NavHUD, maybe it can help u.

Image keybinding NavHUD

Thanks! I've imagined just something like this. Will look into NavHUD's code)

Very Nice! And where are those square engines from?

Ah, that's the hard question :)

They are from my first mod -- the Hangar. But from the development branch; I've been trying to release a new version for several weeks already, but my main work (and TCA in part) keeps me from doing this. Too many things to check...

• 2 weeks later...
This mod is incredible, well done!
Here, have i^4 Rep from me!

Thanks! :D

Very cool! Any plans on making it work with jet engines?

No plans 'cause it's just impossible: jets have huge inertia. TCA works with them as with any engines, but they respond to its commands with a delay of many seconds.

Of course, it is possible to remove the inertia by config tweaking, but such engines are absolutely unrealistic: turbines are slow to spin up or down.

Propellers, on the other hand (provided by other mods like Firespitter or AJE), should have reasonable response time and may be used with TCA.

Here's an example of cargo quadrocopter built using electric propellers from my other mod (Hangar):

DJ47GOi.png

Great mod.

Your UI could use a little streamlining though.

You only need 4 buttons and a slider:

- enable/disable TCA

- enable/disable vertical control + slider

- enable/disable horizontal control

- show/hide advanced options

I suggest hiding the pitch, yaw, roll, PI variables, 'engine info', 'autotune toggle' and the pick-TCA-key all in an 'advanced' view.

PS, the set TCA key seems to have some issues for me (on win32 build), it changes to '?' and displays 'Enter new key to toggle TCA' but it doesn't respond to most key presses (it changes to 'none', only alt, ctrl, capslock, tab, or F-keys work. letters/numbers don't)

PPS

After quicksave/quickloading TCA doesn't recognize previously limited thrust, thus one of my landers crashed because the enginea were limited at ~20%.

PPPS That also counts for undocking, when undocking part of a TCA controlled craft it's engines are still thrust limited.

Edited by OrtwinS

Great mod.

Your UI could use a little streamlining though.

You only need 4 buttons and a slider:

- enable/disable TCA

- enable/disable vertical control + slider

- enable/disable horizontal control

- show/hide advanced options

I suggest hiding the pitch, yaw, roll, PI variables, 'engine info', 'autotune toggle' and the pick-TCA-key all in an 'advanced' view.

I'll think about it. It's probably a good idea indeed.

PS, the set TCA key seems to have some issues for me (on win32 build), it changes to '?' and displays 'Enter new key to toggle TCA' but it doesn't respond to most key presses (it changes to 'none', only alt, ctrl, capslock, tab, or F-keys work. letters/numbers don't)

Hm... that is strange. I don't have a Win installation to test it, but the code to change the key binding is so simple and stright-forward (and is used in other mods as well), I don't know what could be wrong.

Could you provide the KSP_Data\output_log.txt file after you run the game and try to change the key?

Could you provide the KSP_Data\output_log.txt file after you run the game and try to change the key?

Here is the log file.

Antenna range is spamming error messages, makes your job harder and might have something to do with it (KeyNotFoundException)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pv44dxva58gffa2/output_log.txt?dl=0

I tried setting the key to 'y' a few times, and eventually set it to f4.

Edited by OrtwinS

Here is the log file.

Antenna range is spamming error messages, makes your job harder and might have something to do with it (KeyNotFoundException)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pv44dxva58gffa2/output_log.txt?dl=0

I tried setting the key to 'y' a few times, and eventually set it to f4.

Thanks, I'll explore the log and report back.

Meanwhile, you may also set the key in the config:

GameData/ThrottleControlledAvionics/Plugins/PluginData/ThrottleControlledAvionics/config.xml

<keycode name="TCA_Key">Y</keycode>

I would leave autotune on the main Gui. I usually adjust steering gain down to make it less responsive to control input. My guess is that most of my designs are overpowered and end up turning on a dime.

Ah, if only I could invent some adaptive algorithm to tune steering gain without the predefined curve...

Then again, the present autotuning tries to set the gain to the maximum possible level which does not yet cause oscillations.

I am having a lot of fun with Umbra Space Industries Honeybadger VTOL solutions and this mod. Thanks for the effort :)

I would love a mode that simply sets the engine thrusts balanced for a neutral or specified thrust vector, such as to reduce the thrust on forward rotors of a VTOL where the centre of mass is slightly behind the thrust vector. In this mode it would not change throttle to respond to tilts forwards and so on and would really only change over time as cargo and fuel changes. This would allow it to be easy to fly a VTOL like a helicopter. I suppose this could be implemented by allowing lower P and I.

p.s. also have the same keybinding issue mentioned a few posts above (Remotetech is also installed).

I am having a lot of fun with Umbra Space Industries Honeybadger VTOL solutions and this mod. Thanks for the effort :)

I would love a mode that simply sets the engine thrusts balanced for a neutral or specified thrust vector, such as to reduce the thrust on forward rotors of a VTOL where the centre of mass is slightly behind the thrust vector. In this mode it would not change throttle to respond to tilts forwards and so on and would really only change over time as cargo and fuel changes. This would allow it to be easy to fly a VTOL like a helicopter. I suppose this could be implemented by allowing lower P and I.

p.s. also have the same keybinding issue mentioned a few posts above (Remotetech is also installed).

Try to set the main Steering Gain to 0 instead of PI values. This should effectively disable steering with engines, but leave the balancing.

*I'm looking into that issue now...

Try to set the main Steering Gain to 0 instead of PI values. This should effectively disable steering with engines, but leave the balancing.

*I'm looking into that issue now...

awesome. I am still learning the options :D

edit: and that works perfectly - thank you

Edited by CorBlimey

Ah, if only I could invent some adaptive algorithm to tune steering gain without the predefined curve...

Then again, the present autotuning tries to set the gain to the maximum possible level which does not yet cause oscillations.

Not a complaint, I think the mod is great. I would just like to avoid having to use two clicks for a common activity.

Hey Allista, thanks for the great mod... But I have an issue with the UI...

The mod works great if I just switch it on from the 'Y' hotkey, but I never see the U.I. button, its not on the stock KSP toolbar. Does it require the Blizzy one?

I've been having an issue with Blizzy's not always appearing, so I'm kinda phasing out out of my install. Are you going to support the stock toolbar at some point?

Thanks again, I'm enjoying the basic function of your work, but I can't adjust anything.

Not a complaint, I think the mod is great. I would just like to avoid having to use two clicks for a common activity.

I understand) That were just some passing thoughts...

I, personally, also like when all the controls are at hand, not hidden somewhere "for advanced users". But I also understand the desire to have simpler (and smaller) interface and functionality that "just works" most of the time. I'll try different variants and see what'll work best. Maybe add this as an option available through the config.

Hey Allista, thanks for the great mod... But I have an issue with the UI...

The mod works great if I just switch it on from the 'Y' hotkey, but I never see the U.I. button, its not on the stock KSP toolbar. Does it require the Blizzy one?

I've been having an issue with Blizzy's not always appearing, so I'm kinda phasing out out of my install. Are you going to support the stock toolbar at some point?

Thanks again, I'm enjoying the basic function of your work, but I can't adjust anything.

Hm... TCA supports both Blizzy's and stock toolbars, preffering Blizzy's when it's installed.

The thing to remember if playing with Blizzy's is that each particular button should be enabled in each scene you want it to appear.

Are you, by any chance, playing in career mode and have not purchased the TCA upgrade? But if so, the Y should not work also...

So it sounds like a bug to me anyway.

Could you provide the output_log.txt?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.