[1.9-1.10] Throttle Controlled Avionics

allista

Hi this is a grate Mod, but i have question, i can see normal setting TCA panel at design phase, but in launch phase the TCA control panel is empty only one "Advanced" button, i tried removed others mod. but still same.

is any suggestion of this ?

or anything i need to adjust ?

TAC 3.2 + KSP 1.1.2.1260 + ModuleManager.2.6.25

thank you.

56 minutes ago, ian_Y said:

Hi this is a grate Mod, but i have question, i can see normal setting TCA panel at design phase, but in launch phase the TCA control panel is empty only one "Advanced" button, i tried removed others mod. but still same.

is any suggestion of this ?

or anything i need to adjust ?

TAC 3.2 + KSP 1.1.2.1260 + ModuleManager.2.6.25

thank you.

I will repeat here what I wrote on YT: TCA 3.2 is compiled against KSP-1.1.3 and is incompatible with 1.1.2. You need to use TCA-3.1-KSP-1.1.2.

I have a craft that flew fine in the previous version of TCA that now oscillates like crazy under bearing control. Like overshoots by 90 degrees and doesn't ever seem to fully settle down. Anything that changed that I should play with to fix it? I can't seem to fix it with the controller parameters either. Nothing different about the craft at all from the previous version.

3 minutes ago, drhay53 said:

I have a craft that flew fine in the previous version of TCA that now oscillates like crazy under bearing control. Like overshoots by 90 degrees and doesn't ever seem to fully settle down. Anything that changed that I should play with to fix it? I can't seem to fix it with the controller parameters either. Nothing different about the craft at all from the previous version.

I'm sorry to hear it :( Could you share the .craft file or a screenshot? I have changed many things, bearing PID parameters and their runtime tuning among others. I've tested it on several crafts of different mass and torque and all looked well, but apparently I've miscalculated something.

Meanwhile, you may look at BRC node in TCA.glob file and try to change something there...

Here's a link to the craft:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqz0s60qu04ozsi/CrazyCopter.craft?dl=0

It requires KAX.

Thinking about the craft, it probably doesn't have enough yaw control authority, but since it flew without any oscillation at all in the previous version, I just wanted to see if there is something else going on.

Here's an image; it has several helicopter rotors for most of the lifting, then several jump jets to help with stabilization, and several horizontal engines that lets it get up to ~130 m/s.

http://imgur.com/ycsaH8K

36 minutes ago, drhay53 said:

Here's a link to the craft:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqz0s60qu04ozsi/CrazyCopter.craft?dl=0

It requires KAX.

Thinking about the craft, it probably doesn't have enough yaw control authority, but since it flew without any oscillation at all in the previous version, I just wanted to see if there is something else going on.

Here's an image; it has several helicopter rotors for most of the lifting, then several jump jets to help with stabilization, and several horizontal engines that lets it get up to ~130 m/s.

http://imgur.com/ycsaH8K

May it be that the KAX itself is the culprit as it was not updated to 1.1.3 yet? Of Firespitter for that matter.

14 minutes ago, allista said:

May it be that the KAX itself is the culprit as it was not updated to 1.1.3 yet? Of Firespitter for that matter.

its possible, although i havent noticed anything from them in the log, and tca handles vertical behavior perfectly, so I assumed it was a controller issue, since its basically only yaw that oscillates

it looks like firespitter 0.7.3 is for ksp 1.1.3, but the ckan metadata is wrong. will try that real quick.

1 minute ago, drhay53 said:

same behavior with firespitter update. I can try to make a stock craft that's similar and see if i can reproduce

No, you're right, this has to be TCA.

BTW, you craft file requires something other than the KAX. With it installed I still got the "vessel has some invalid or missing parts" message.

Hi,

Today i have encountered a strange behavior and it seems to me that it relates to this mod as i found the below logs.

[EXC 20:23:17.011] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ThrottleControlledAvionics.HorizontalSpeedControl.UpdateState ()
    ThrottleControlledAvionics.AutopilotModule.UpdateCtrlState (.FlightCtrlState s)
    Vessel.FeedInputFeed ()
    FlightInputHandler.FixedUpdate ()

This has happened when i undocked a craft, got away (more than 2-3k) and returned back again. The end effect is that my vessel becomes virtually non-responsive to any command until i get far from the other vessel again (more than 2-3k). I am in latest KSP version 1.3

I understand that i have numerous mods installed and haven't tested with only TCA installed but though to raise this till i find the time to do so. Please note though that i have tested it without TCA and there is no such issue. So it is TCA's thing, no idea if it's only TCAs... :-$

Also excuse if there is missing info above, it's my first time a report an issue, first time to open the Debug window and read logs so... please let me know what you need to check this further

BTW do you want my log file and if so where? Log file below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dtshur3jg8bnoyt/KSP.zip?dl=0

Thanks,

Tsuvekio

Edited by tsuvekio

Something else that's happening to me is that the landing module is not decelerating in time, and the craft is crashing into the ground. This has happened with 3 different crafts now and on both Kerbin and the Mun. Has anyone else seen this?

1 hour ago, drhay53 said:

Something else that's happening to me is that the landing module is not decelerating in time, and the craft is crashing into the ground. This has happened with 3 different crafts now and on both Kerbin and the Mun. Has anyone else seen this?

Could you show the crafts, or, better yet, make a video of the event? Landing module is very complex and despite the fact that I was testing it with two very different crafts on Kerbin, Mun, Minmus and Duna, it may not account for everything. Do you have enough fuel and the problem is the timing of the burn?

43 minutes ago, RandyRawgust said:

My throttle gets locked in the off state after I enable TCA, then I can't use it all and I hit the ground like a missle. Anyone else having their throttle's lock up?!

Do you enable TCA in midflight? O_o If so, then look at the state of "Hover", "Follow Terrain" and especially "AutoThrottle" switches.

Hi Allista,

Have you manage to check the issue i have spotted? Do you believe it has to do with the specific craft or combination with another mod?

[EXC 20:23:17.011] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ThrottleControlledAvionics.HorizontalSpeedControl.UpdateState ()
    ThrottleControlledAvionics.AutopilotModule.UpdateCtrlState (.FlightCtrlState s)
    Vessel.FeedInputFeed ()
    FlightInputHandler.FixedUpdate ()

This has happened when i undocked a craft, got away (more than 2-3k) and returned back again. The end effect is that my vessel becomes virtually non-responsive to any command until i get far from the other vessel again (more than 2-3k). I am in latest KSP version 1.3

Many thanks,

Tsuvekio

2 minutes ago, tsuvekio said:

Hi Allista,

Have you manage to check the issue i have spotted? Do you believe it has to do with the specific craft or combination with another mod?

Many thanks,

Tsuvekio

I've tried to reproduce it without success, so it should be something to do with particular craft design, other mods, etc.

Could you try to reproduce it on a similar, but all-stock design? And if you succeed, share the craft?

2 hours ago, allista said:

Could you show the crafts, or, better yet, make a video of the event? Landing module is very complex and despite the fact that I was testing it with two very different crafts on Kerbin, Mun, Minmus and Duna, it may not account for everything. Do you have enough fuel and the problem is the timing of the burn?

Do you enable TCA in midflight? O_o If so, then look at the state of "Hover", "Follow Terrain" and especially "AutoThrottle" switches.

Unfortunately I cannot capture video. I can try to do a series of screenshots.

One thing I realized after testing a little more was that on the last craft I was testing TCA was popping up an error message after the final burn saying there wasn't enough fuel and that it was doing an emergency landing. I am using monoprop engines on this particular craft and it had 500+ delta v. Mechjeb was able to land a very similar design but this version wasn't fully balanced so mechjeb couldn't burn in the right direction. However, I had the exact same thing happen with an LFO engine on Kerbin.  

It it seems like what's happening is that TCA is coming in very, very shallow, and doing a final alignment burn between target and landing site just several hundred meters from the ground, and not really leaving enough time for a deceleration burn.  

33 minutes ago, allista said:

I've tried to reproduce it without success, so it should be something to do with particular craft design, other mods, etc.

Could you try to reproduce it on a similar, but all-stock design? And if you succeed, share the craft?

Ok, thanks for that.

I will try to find some time to reproduce but if you have failed i don't believe i would be the unliky one... Maybe because the craft was created prior to the 1.1.3 upgrade (?).

Anyway thanks.. I need to see how i can continue using my orbital station now with TCA in :(.

10 minutes ago, drhay53 said:

Unfortunately I cannot capture video. I can try to do a series of screenshots.

One thing I realized after testing a little more was that on the last craft I was testing TCA was popping up an error message after the final burn saying there wasn't enough fuel and that it was doing an emergency landing. I am using monoprop engines on this particular craft and it had 500+ delta v. Mechjeb was able to land a very similar design but this version wasn't fully balanced so mechjeb couldn't burn in the right direction. However, I had the exact same thing happen with an LFO engine on Kerbin.  

It it seems like what's happening is that TCA is coming in very, very shallow, and doing a final alignment burn between target and landing site just several hundred meters from the ground, and not really leaving enough time for a deceleration burn.  

Series of screenshots would be fine; even a single one with the craft would help me to test things.

Shallow descend is strange, there are limits for the curvature of the deorbiting trajectory. Unless you've been trying to land on a pole from an equatorial orbit, TCA should pilot the ship sown more-or-less sharply. 

I'm confused :confused:

Working on the screenshots now, will post to imgur soon

interestingly as I was testing, I picked a target right along my equatorial orbit and clicked "land" and TCA set the burn for 172 days in the future o.O  I cancelled the landing and clicked it again and it worked fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.