[1.9-1.10] Throttle Controlled Avionics

allista

1 minute ago, allista said:

That's what the Land (from orbit) does; albeit a bit more elaborate than just slide... :rolleyes:

I was just saying that in defense of the realism of hovering, using TCA. :)

Unfortunately, that particular feature has never worked properly for me, though. The status says it's looking for a safe landing space, and it almost 100% of the time fails to find one, even on flat ground, and gives up and just hovers, using all of my fuel.

39 minutes ago, Tokamak said:

Unfortunately, that particular feature has never worked properly for me, though. The status says it's looking for a safe landing space, and it almost 100% of the time fails to find one, even on flat ground, and gives up and just hovers, using all of my fuel.

:0.0:

I need to see this.

Do you have discord account?

7 hours ago, allista said:

:0.0:

I need to see this.

Do you have discord account?

I'll see if I can replicate it (which ought to be easy when I have the time) and get logs and perhaps video.

I do. Why?

I play on linux and yours is the first mod ever to force me to KILL KSP's  PROCESS.

First time I told it to land. Picked an area and off it went.

On the way down I got the unknown instance of an object error a lot.. It froze the game. Couldn't spit 'em out fast enough.

Started up again and loaded the save before landing. and it just would not even start. My kerbals portrait was trapped in white noise.

The mouse barely moved. Had to bring up system monitor to shut it down.

I built you up to my mate before this after seeing your launch from KSC to orbit. Very smooth.

I got egg on my face.

Only your mod. No other mods except Mod Manager of course.

No DLC.

I just wanted something to take the grind out of recovering crashed wrecks missions. Really hard to hover in vanilla.

I can still play and still use your mod for what I intended it for but I really wish I hadn't tried to let it land.

My mate wouldn't stop laughing at me.

D.

Found my KSP was getting stuck in the loading screen (at the end, claiming to be loading the expansions). Checked the log and found it ended with:

[LOG 08:13:02.184] Expansion makinghistory detected in path C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\SquadExpansion\MakingHistory
[LOG 08:13:02.184] Expansion serenity detected in path C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\SquadExpansion\Serenity
[EXC 08:13:02.246] ReflectionTypeLoadException: Exception of type 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' was thrown.
	System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () (at <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0)
	AssemblyLoader.GetTypesOfClassesImplementingInterface[T] () (at <c168e21ec56346b082f89043e76162e1>:0)
	Expansions.Missions.MissionsUtils.InitialiseAdjusterTypes () (at <c168e21ec56346b082f89043e76162e1>:0)
	Expansions.ExpansionsLoader+<LoadExpansions>d__21.MoveNext () (at <c168e21ec56346b082f89043e76162e1>:0)
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)
[LOG 08:13:02.533] [ModuleManager] Intercepted a ReflectionTypeLoadException. List of broken DLLs:
ThrottleControlledAvionics 3.7.0.1 GameData\ThrottleControlledAvionics\Plugins\ThrottleControlledAvionics.dll

Uninstalled TCA and now it's working fine. I'm running loads and loads of other mods, so could well be some sort of conflict? Figured it'd be useful to share anyway.

35 minutes ago, baldamundo said:

Found my KSP was getting stuck in the loading screen (at the end, claiming to be loading the expansions). Checked the log and found it ended with:

[LOG 08:13:02.184] Expansion makinghistory detected in path C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\SquadExpansion\MakingHistory
[LOG 08:13:02.184] Expansion serenity detected in path C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\SquadExpansion\Serenity
[EXC 08:13:02.246] ReflectionTypeLoadException: Exception of type 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' was thrown.
	System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () (at <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0)
	AssemblyLoader.GetTypesOfClassesImplementingInterface[T] () (at <c168e21ec56346b082f89043e76162e1>:0)
	Expansions.Missions.MissionsUtils.InitialiseAdjusterTypes () (at <c168e21ec56346b082f89043e76162e1>:0)
	Expansions.ExpansionsLoader+<LoadExpansions>d__21.MoveNext () (at <c168e21ec56346b082f89043e76162e1>:0)
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)
[LOG 08:13:02.533] [ModuleManager] Intercepted a ReflectionTypeLoadException. List of broken DLLs:
ThrottleControlledAvionics 3.7.0.1 GameData\ThrottleControlledAvionics\Plugins\ThrottleControlledAvionics.dll

Uninstalled TCA and now it's working fine. I'm running loads and loads of other mods, so could well be some sort of conflict? Figured it'd be useful to share anyway.

What version of KSP are you running?

The3.7.0.1 is for KSP-1.10 and I haven't encounter this problem, having all the expansion.

11 hours ago, Daveroski said:

I play on linux and yours is the first mod ever to force me to KILL KSP's  PROCESS.

First time I told it to land. Picked an area and off it went.

On the way down I got the unknown instance of an object error a lot.. It froze the game. Couldn't spit 'em out fast enough.

Started up again and loaded the save before landing. and it just would not even start. My kerbals portrait was trapped in white noise.

The mouse barely moved. Had to bring up system monitor to shut it down.

I built you up to my mate before this after seeing your launch from KSC to orbit. Very smooth.

I got egg on my face.

Only your mod. No other mods except Mod Manager of course.

No DLC.

I just wanted something to take the grind out of recovering crashed wrecks missions. Really hard to hover in vanilla.

I can still play and still use your mod for what I intended it for but I really wish I hadn't tried to let it land.

My mate wouldn't stop laughing at me.

D.

Please, share the Player.log after reproducing the error. And the .sfs+.sfs.meta files of the save in which it happens (right before the start of the Land program). This would allow me to debug.

I ripped out your mod and went completely vanilla again and landed the craft manually.

I undocked from my station and warped to a place to start my decent.

When I applied full thrust to the engine I noticed that I had set the power to that engine much lower to give more burn time while intercepting the station when I first docked.

When flying manually I find longer burn times to be more controllable with my wrinkly old sausage fingers.

When I left the station with your mod installed I had not reset the engine thrust to maximum power.

Your mod may have been trying to cope with a greatly knobbled engine thrust.

Do you think this might have had some unwanted effect?

7 hours ago, allista said:

What version of KSP are you running?

The3.7.0.1 is for KSP-1.10 and I haven't encounter this problem, having all the expansion.

Please, share the Player.log after reproducing the error. And the .sfs+.sfs.meta files of the save in which it happens (right before the start of the Land program). This would allow me to debug.

Was using v3.7.0.1 on KSP1.10. Could it be some kind of mod conflict? I'm running a stupid number of mods, several of which aren't yet updated for 1.10 (was just playing around to see if it works at all, honestly)

19 hours ago, Daveroski said:

I ripped out your mod and went completely vanilla again and landed the craft manually.

I undocked from my station and warped to a place to start my decent.

When I applied full thrust to the engine I noticed that I had set the power to that engine much lower to give more burn time while intercepting the station when I first docked.

When flying manually I find longer burn times to be more controllable with my wrinkly old sausage fingers.

When I left the station with your mod installed I had not reset the engine thrust to maximum power.

Your mod may have been trying to cope with a greatly knobbled engine thrust.

Do you think this might have had some unwanted effect?

No, TCA explicitly controls throttle limiters.

But I've tried your saves and see that the landing autopilot is indeed broken in several places: one being the NRE you've encountered near the end of the launch, the other being some laggy and weird trajectories it tries in the middle.

So thanks a lot for the report and the saves!  

17 hours ago, baldamundo said:

Was using v3.7.0.1 on KSP1.10. Could it be some kind of mod conflict? I'm running a stupid number of mods, several of which aren't yet updated for 1.10 (was just playing around to see if it works at all, honestly)

I honestly don't know; I mean, yes, it could be some kind of conflict, but without the logs I cannot guess what it is.

The only thing I can tell is that I cannot reproduce it yet.

On 7/14/2020 at 10:00 AM, allista said:

But I've tried your saves and see that the landing autopilot is indeed broken in several places: one being the NRE

It seems that Mechjeb was suffering a similar ailment but it seems to have been fixed in the latest dev version.

Hi, this mod rocks. In conjunction with BD armory I can't stop making cool crafts that handle the way I imagined it not the way my skills allow without help.  If I had a decent budget I would totally be a patreon of yours.  Maybe after Covid if it ever ends. Keep up the good work mate.

I'm wondering if you can give me some pointers on how to add TCA to my twin rotor chinook.

It fly's great and I have a ton of control over it, but hooking TCA into it ?  I am clueless where to begin since its not a traditional rocket or vtol.

The power is all electric, electric two rotors in opposite direction.

Axis keys WASD control pitch, yaw, QR for roll.

I mapped a few KAL1000's to control the heli blades which produce thrust and can also control pitch and yaw and roll, They map to the translation keys.

Power is via throttle but its rather binary since blade angle of attack (deploy angle) controls thrust, so I fly mostly at 2/3rds unless carrying heavy cargo and need more torque.

There are two jet engines on it for higher speed horizontal flight but they are controlled via translation as well H/N keys.

What I want to get out of TCA is control over stabilization, attitude and horizontal pitch for forward sped, but what ever I do I cant figure out the right combination in the profile.  It always complains there are no engines as well.

Any tips appreaciated.  See pic below.

gEp79lL.png

7 minutes ago, SkiRich said:

I'm wondering if you can give me some pointers on how to add TCA to my twin rotor chinook.

It fly's great and I have a ton of control over it, but hooking TCA into it ?  I am clueless where to begin since its not a traditional rocket or vtol.

The power is all electric, electric two rotors in opposite direction.

Axis keys WASD control pitch, yaw, QR for roll.

I mapped a few KAL1000's to control the heli blades which produce thrust and can also control pitch and yaw and roll, They map to the translation keys.

Power is via throttle but its rather binary since blade angle of attack (deploy angle) controls thrust, so I fly mostly at 2/3rds unless carrying heavy cargo and need more torque.

There are two jet engines on it for higher speed horizontal flight but they are controlled via translation as well H/N keys.

What I want to get out of TCA is control over stabilization, attitude and horizontal pitch for forward sped, but what ever I do I cant figure out the right combination in the profile.  It always complains there are no engines as well.

Any tips appreaciated.  See pic below.

gEp79lL.png

As discussed here not long ago, TCA cannot work with rotors due to completely different physics model. Sorry, only ModuleEngines are supported.

On 7/19/2020 at 1:11 PM, Daveroski said:

It seems that Mechjeb was suffering a similar ailment but it seems to have been fixed in the latest dev version.

I'm currently running automated tests of the deorbit autopilot that I hope I've fixed; using the save game you provided.

Everyone can watch it live in twitch:

http://www.twitch.tv/allitau

Maybe it's just me... I installed the latest versions of TCA, Hangar, GC, CC and the separate AT_Utils download. 

With TCA, I can no longer input the desired altitude to hover using the keyboard.  My keyboard has a numeric keypad.  Input using both the keypad and the keyboard doesn't work.  The -10/+10 buttons work, so I have a workaround, even if it takes a fair bit of clicks to get to something like 360 meters altitude.

Here's the logs... https://www.dropbox.com/s/kf7a7t0twg7kgja/2020-07-23.zip?dl=0

Thanks.

7 hours ago, bcqJC said:

Maybe it's just me... I installed the latest versions of TCA, Hangar, GC, CC and the separate AT_Utils download. 

With TCA, I can no longer input the desired altitude to hover using the keyboard.  My keyboard has a numeric keypad.  Input using both the keypad and the keyboard doesn't work.  The -10/+10 buttons work, so I have a workaround, even if it takes a fair bit of clicks to get to something like 360 meters altitude.

Here's the logs... https://www.dropbox.com/s/kf7a7t0twg7kgja/2020-07-23.zip?dl=0

Thanks.

Thanks, will check this out. Meanwhile, if you enable AutoThrottle, you can change desired altitude with x/z/shift/Ctrl - the usual key bindings for main throttle, that is.

UPD: issue to track

https://github.com/allista/ThrottleControlledAvionics/issues/101

Edited by allista

16 hours ago, allista said:

I'm currently running automated tests of the deorbit autopilot that I hope I've fixed; using the save game you provided.

Everyone can watch it live in twitch:

http://www.twitch.tv/allitau

I have seen the video.

To be honest I only watched a couple of hourst. Without commentary it was hard to figure out which aspects you were testing on each landing.

You seem to make the ship move in a much more natural way than 'other` auto-pilots.

I was considering having a play on KSP today and came to the forums first as I usually do. How can I not play now? I must.

I am absolutely gobsmacked by the effort you put into your art.

Seems I can get rid of that 'other' auto pilot again.

To be honest, I only really needed an auto pilot to hover. I just cant seem to do that particularly well by hand. As the fuel burns the mass changes and the thrust increases. Now I sound like someone trying to teach Rembrandt how to paint.
Anyway, the thing is, once I used your Auto pilot for the thing I don't do so well, I enjoyed using it for the other stuff too. The launches from KSC can be quite impressive. Does TCA play nice with the 'other' one? The only reason I'm asking is that The 'other' one does help with interplanetary nodes. KSP seems to think that everyone should be happy to play in the Home System. To actually plan a trip to another world requires looking at a website or using a transfer mod. I prefer it in-game.

I can't wait to show my mate all the work you have done.

D.

@allista, Thank you for pointing out the use of AutoThrottle.  All this time, I've used TCA with Hover, FollowTerrain, and AutoThrottle on. And then just plugged-in numbers for altitude (I play sandbox so I have all the goodies from the get-go).  I didn't know what I was missing.

By being forced to use AutoThrottle, I learned other stuff like IndependentThrottle and how it works together with mapping engine throttle to CustomAxisGroups.  I "fly" my craft now instead of just typing numbers to control my craft.

Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.