[1.9-1.10] Throttle Controlled Avionics

allista

Please, do test it while I'm hunting for some hyperthermophilic archaea in hot acid swamps =]

Got nothing better to do while I wait for the 1.1 update, so I can start my career over yet again. Never going to make it to laythe at this rate...

Got nothing better to do while I wait for the 1.1 update, so I can start my career over yet again. Never going to make it to laythe at this rate...

By the gods! Not another major update! This one would be on Unity5... I can't imagine all the things that would break >_<

But as a small parting gift I would like to left you with another beta version. But any beta, mind you. Despite the numbers in a filename, it is a full fledged TCA-3 beta!

I can't list all the new features from from the phone, but here's a few major ones:

1) support of multiple vessels simultaneously

2) advanced autopilot with navpoint navigation and automated landing

3) comprehensive engine profiles with automated switching (but that's the most untested one)

You may download it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/55scbipzo99z4gg/ThrottleControlledAvionics-v2.3.0.6.zip?dl=0

Please, do test it while I'm hunting for some hyperthermophilic archaea in hot acid swamps =]

Deleted the old folder. Extracted this new beta. Now getting this:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at ThrottleControlledAvionics.Utils.PartIsPurchased (System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ThrottleControlledAvionics.ModuleTCA.GetInfo () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader.CompilePartInfo (.AvailablePart newPartInfo, .Part part) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Have a great expedition.

Don't let the mosquitoe's carry you away...

Cheers.

Thanks! :)

Though bears are a much greater concern here. Literally >_<

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, I see the problem. And it's very strange that I don't have it as well. I'll try to post a quick fix as I still have some internet while we're waiting for a clear weather for the helicopter =]

Hyperthermophilic archaea? That is highly relevant for astrobiology. Maybe Minmus has geothermal vents

I doubt it: too small, too cold. It should have differentiated long ago...

- - - Updated - - -

Well, here's the fix for this. It should allow TCA to load properly without NREs, but I can't test if TCA availability in pods and cores in Editor's part catalogue is accurate in career mode.

UPD:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pbzazeoghju904e/ThrottleControlledAvionics-v2.3.0.8.zip?dl=0

Edited by allista

And now the weather is finally clear and we're off to the chopper. Though the last day didn't went in vain: we traveled ~100km off road to another hot spring valley and gathered some samples.

Wish me luck. I hope to be back alive in about ten days (again depending on the weather) :)

- - - Updated - - -

As a little entertainment, proofpics:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

So I've got 2.3.0.7 installed... no button's showing up in flight. SPH/VAB settings are there, but in flight the module is unusable :( anyone else seen this or is it just me?

Sorry. My fault. Here's the version that should work. At least I very much hope so. Unfortunately, I can't test it here.

*and yes, they finally made a satellite dish with a 30Kb/s channel, so I'm still here :cool:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pbzazeoghju904e/ThrottleControlledAvionics-v2.3.0.8.zip?dl=0

I've looked at it a bit, I'm still having trouble getting it to work properly 100% of the time when the following 2 conditions are true:

1. I'm using KSP Interstelllar Extended's thermal turbojets or thermal rockets (although the rockets/turbojets in closed cycle mode work better than when air breathing; I suspect this has to do with throttle lag on the turbines)

2. Craft is heavy ( > 250t or so ).

These conditions are both unfortunately usually true in my world :(

I've looked at it a bit, I'm still having trouble getting it to work properly 100% of the time when the following 2 conditions are true:

1. I'm using KSP Interstelllar Extended's thermal turbojets or thermal rockets (although the rockets/turbojets in closed cycle mode work better than when air breathing; I suspect this has to do with throttle lag on the turbines)

2. Craft is heavy ( > 250t or so ).

These conditions are both unfortunately usually true in my world :(

What exactly does not work in your case?

it's not that it *doesn't work*, it's just that TCA overcorrects due to the cycling time of the turbines. It's worse on heavier craft. It'll start wobbling on the roll axis with positive feedback until the whole thing flips over and slams into the ground. Lighter craft, or craft not using these thermal engines, do not have this problem. I am wondering if there's some tuning to the p and i values within the TCA window that can alleviate this(?)

To reproduce, simply make a VTOL craft in sandbox mode using antimatter reactors and thermal turbojets, after installing KSP Interstellar Extended.

Obviously it also works better the closer it is to "stable without needing TCA" to begin with.

it's not that it *doesn't work*, it's just that TCA overcorrects due to the cycling time of the turbines. It's worse on heavier craft. It'll start wobbling on the roll axis with positive feedback until the whole thing flips over and slams into the ground. Lighter craft, or craft not using these thermal engines, do not have this problem. I am wondering if there's some tuning to the p and i values within the TCA window that can alleviate this(?)

To reproduce, simply make a VTOL craft in sandbox mode using antimatter reactors and thermal turbojets, after installing KSP Interstellar Extended.

Obviously it also works better the closer it is to "stable without needing TCA" to begin with.

Have you set all your slow engines to Balance Thrust mode?

Edited by allista

Here's the next

BETA version.

It features In-Editor Profile Manager as well as several fixes for VesselConfig/EnginesProfiles bugs and the new "Follow Target" autopilot program.

Also, it is the last beta with new functionality, as I'm out of the ideas and the summer is over (meaning the hard work begins in my institute).

I'm still reluctant to release it as stable due to the great amount of new features and scarce testing. So, as usual, I'm asking you for help:

I've created a google spreadsheet with the tests that came to mind. You are free to add other tests, comment and mark existing tests as done (with some screenshots, maybe).

I'm hoping that all tests will be done until the next weekend, so I could release all this at last :blush:

Edited by allista
changed the link to point to the fixed version

What do you mean by 'follow SQUAD' on the spreadsheet?

Also, what masses would you define as light and heavy? Like what threshold?

Sorry for the confusion. I've corrected these items.

Follow Squad was a missformulation. What I meant was a situation when a bunch of vessels controlled by TCA with "Follow Target" enabled move after the user-controlled leader. I thought this could be a handy mode to transport much cargo from base to base... (EDIT: I also think that they may collide with each other, which will be fun :sticktongue:)

Light and heavy are, of course, arbitrary; I've loosely chose the thresholds <=30t and >=100t. There are two important things about ship masses: 1) Vertical TWR, which in VTOL mode defines the perceptive inertia of vertical control; 2) Maximum angular acceleration (i.e. rotational "TWR"). So not the mass itself is important, but considering existing engines, it's simpler to talk about "light" (and agile) craft and "heavy" (and sluggish) one.

UPD: BTW, you may use comments right in the spreadsheet; open context menu on any cell and choose "insert comment".

Edited by allista

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.