Space bar doesn't reorient camera during EVA

Hi everyone!

I've been messing around with KSP for awhile now. I've come across a rather annoying bug (bug for me at least) - when I'm EVA'ing in free fall, the space bar doesn't reorient the camera (as it says at the KSP Wiki site). This makes EVAs frustrating endeavors as up is left and down is back and whatnot. Very hard to control.

Ideas? Is there a place for me to re-map the key assignments?

Thanks!

Dustin

The more I mess with it, I realize that there is no way to orient the kerbal out of the orbital plane. Has it always been this way?

Edited by Otis

Does his jet pack work at all when you use the aswd keys? If not, you need to turn it on first.

Yeahup. That's why it's so frustrating. normally W is forward, but because the camera is messed up it's back or left or something (the direction is moves on my screen).

- - - Updated - - -

The more I mess with it, I realize that there is no way to orient the kerbal out of the orbital plane. Has it always been this way?

So is there a way to make this work? Always orient the rocket normal first and then EVA?

You get a couple different planes to choose from (use "v" to cycle through them), but his head always points "up".

No it doesn't. You can click the mouse pointer on him and drag him around upside down (with EVA pack on).

The only problem is that as soon as you do something it re-orients the Kerbal to whatever useless plane the game picks. This plane depends on the camera so best options is to press "V" until you get something useful. Though lots of times I just re-orient the ship. I hope changing the orientation of the Kerbal is something they will add in the future.

Yeahup. That's why it's so frustrating. normally W is forward, but because the camera is messed up it's back or left or something (the direction is moves on my screen).

- - - Updated - - -

So is there a way to make this work? Always orient the rocket normal first and then EVA?

That's what I do if possible and it seems to work OK. It's not much help if you need to get out and push though. :)

The only problem is that as soon as you do something it re-orients the Kerbal to whatever useless plane the game picks. This plane depends on the camera so best options is to press "V" until you get something useful. Though lots of times I just re-orient the ship. I hope changing the orientation of the Kerbal is something they will add in the future.

If you use a joystick(or a gamepad) he will not reorient unless you press space.

The controls are relative to the Kerbal i think not the kamera (at least with the joystick its true).

If you use a joystick(or a gamepad) he will not reorient unless you press space.

The controls are relative to the Kerbal i think not the kamera (at least with the joystick its true).

Both true, the first should even be true for keyboard controls.

It at least lets Kerbals hit the ground with their most resilient feature ... that is to say, their heads.

No, It lets them hit the ground with their feet (not their most resilient feature, but next to). To hit ground with head yo have either to click and drag, or to auto rotate while high in space (near apoapsis)

There is a way to do that, which I've been searching for for a very long time. If I remember correctly, it is done by pressing the mouse wheel and dragging the mouse around.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.