[0.90] Procedural Parts Extended 1.0 - 77 Industries

Azimech

ZQzxOSM.png

Procedural Parts Extended 1.0

Ever wanted more shapes to choose from? Now you can! Introducing the ellipse!

Useful for weird designs, art, hull plating, teeth on gears, whatever you see fit. Also included is a structural element that's lighter and a bit stronger than normal.

However these are not meant for career, as the values regarding mass, volume and cost don't make much sense. Also note: these are structural parts only, you'll find no tanks!

I've used them for months without any problems. But, if you do find any or have any suggestion, post them here.

Not in the Procedural Parts topic!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Requirements: Procedural Parts, obviously.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/106975-0-90-Procedural-Parts-Parts-the-way-you-want-em-v1-0-Jan-11

License info: All rules from the original creators/owners apply.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pr896wt2s2edg4p/77Industries_Procedural_Parts_Extended_1.0.zip?dl=0

Have fun!

Edited by Azimech

Procedural parts is a fairly niche mod to begin with, I wouldn't be surprised at a muted response to addons for it. Plenty of mods fly under the radar.

Not too sure about the forum being 'weird' though, on the contrary people generally seem to be helpful and friendly with other modders.

KSP forums have a lot of mods on it and people use a lot of mods at the same time.

It isnt weird, it is just very crowded, not only with users, but also with mods ;-).

I made the mod in my signature and didnt get a reply for my thread for 3 days.

And it may have sunk into oblivion, even on the much less frequented development section (here in the release section, it sometimes takes less than an hour for a thread to sink to 3rd page).

As of now, there have been over 3100 downloads (all versions together, last version more than 300), while 15 people replied on the forums (among them 5thHorseman, thank you!).

What drastically increased the number of downloads, was my release on kerbalstuff.com and the luck to stay in the "newest mods" for a few days.

Also a collage and quite some advertising (signature picture + posting about it in different appropriate threads).

Best of luck!

PS: Integrate KSP-AVC, so that people know when there is a new update.

Edited by Yemo

Okay okay ... I'll put it back up. It's just that there's something weird about this forum. And it's not just me. On facebook we had a chat about it too.

The forum is a deep pool, like most markets in the real world. You toss a product in, maybe it sinks, maybe it floats. But you have to give it some time, and give it a push. Don't expect everything you do to become hyper-popular right away, or ever. Even if your mod doesn't become popular, it might help someone in the future with their own endeavors. But again, it all takes time.

Not a single reply. Forget it. I'm wasting my time and deleting my download.

I've never before met such a cold, uninterested forum in my life.

Posted that and your mod hadnt even been up a week? Hadnt even been up ONE DAY?

Seriously petty (pathetic) attitude. No reason to try a mod with an author who has no interest in it themselves.

I've considered doing an all stock + procedural install as a memory saving measure, and a mod like this would certainly have a place in it, but what I'd need even more would be procedural adaptors for the non-circular fuselage types, both from stock and popular mods.

I've considered doing an all stock + procedural install as a memory saving measure, and a mod like this would certainly have a place in it, but what I'd need even more would be procedural adaptors for the non-circular fuselage types, both from stock and popular mods.

Take a look at the SETI-BalanceMod in my signature for the "replacing stock with procedural parts".

Posted that and your mod hadnt even been up a week? Hadnt even been up ONE DAY?

Seriously petty (pathetic) attitude. No reason to try a mod with an author who has no interest in it themselves.

You're new to this forum, you'll see what I mean.

Hello,

Seems pretty nice and useful actually.

Will test it ASAP (just started a new job so not much time nowadays). How FAR or Reentry dealing with these shapes ?

About the forum and the reply delay : don't feel offended, ppl may use your mod and love it without any reply, you don't post your mods here to be popular, you post your mods here to help the community after all...but a simple "thank you" doesn't cost a lot, I have to admit.

So thank you for this mod :)

One of the reason a lot of people are just not giving this a go (and/or a reply) is because, as yourself stated, "the values regarding mass, volume and cost don't make much sense."

So, apart those who might give them a go for the sake of testing, I'm thinking the bulk of us won't use them.

I'm sort of big on balance so this mod is a no-go for me.

It doesn't help that there is no information about how the mod behave with some other popular mods like FAR (I'm guessing it plays nice, but it's always useful to state out loud).

It's an interesting mod but nothing worth fawning over. It won't earn you much recognition seeing as it is not gonna garner a huge following but you can keep on building upon it and expanding the scope. Eventually, you could have a fantastic mod but as of now it's not. Don't get angry over that.

It's been a while but I remember FAR playing nice with them. Besides, everything (well, almost) can be adapted.

As for my behavior:

My apologies to the community. Some RL frustration took a wrong turn and made it's way through the keyboard.

Edited by Azimech

Man, this a winning attitude that everyone should have! /s

Seriously though, I've been a long time lurker and just recently started posting here, most of it on this exact subforum(AddOns). I have no idea what you're talking about saying that it's cold and weird. A little explanation would be nice, but I doubt we're gonna get that.

Anyways, about your mod not getting any attention. The thread was up for a maximum of 16 hours before your subsequent post saying this is "cold forum". That isn't a lot of time, especially when there are a ton of other mods on this subforum all pertaining to different things and all having different levels of popularity. Combine that with the time of day when it was posted; it may of had a bit less traffic (ergo less people to see your post). On top of those two things, this is an add-on to another mod. That means that this is only really going to be relevant to the people that have the dependency installed and actively use it to get any benefit from this part. All in all the amount of people that are gonna see this is already determined to be lower than if this was a standalone mod and even if someone does see the post and download the part, that doesn't necessarily mean that they're gonna post something about it either. Another thing that may turn people off is that you openly admit that the part's mass, volume, and cost don't make much sense either. All I'm seeing is a part that was thrown together with reckless abandon.

In summary, I'm sensing that if someone doesn't say something about your mod, the forum you posted it on must be bad and users of said forum most suck as well. From the initial post I see that the part was made with little regard or thought seeing as how it's not balanced in the slightest. Tell me again before I continue, why should I even consider using a part that is so poorly made that you can't even give it the proper mass, volume, or cost? The second post let everyone see your attitude towards the community, which I must say is poor, rude, and unnecessary.

With just those few things said in the summary, I'm already completely turned away from your mod. I'm also a procedural parts user, so you just lost a person that this mod is targeted towards. Hopefully things will change for the better and this mod may get the attention it deserves, but before that happens a lot of work needs to be done, both with the part, and your attitude.

I looked at it and wanted to ask for versions carrying fuel. And for a bit more balanced values.. But I didn't want to make the first post a criticism.

Like you said, it's not really useful for career in your first iteration. I expect most people play career, I only play career.

But its a good start :)

The problem with these shapes is that the needed math is different, and the plugin expects cylindrical shapes. The mod authors might take a look at it in the future.

Tanks are an option, as long as they don't exceed the original values. That means all the extra material would be empty. The next problem is mass.

The problem with these shapes is that the needed math is different, and the plugin expects cylindrical shapes. The mod authors might take a look at it in the future.

Tanks are an option, as long as they don't exceed the original values. That means all the extra material would be empty. The next problem is mass.

Oh, so I guess for now you just approximated the mass by picking cylindrical peers. Maybe that isn't accurate in the real world but it should be good enough for ksp.. If you make the same approximation for maximum fuel content then maybe you're not being accurate. But seriously I wouldn't care... It'd be a cosmetic difference. You're still paying for the fuel on a mass per unit basis.

This mod has tremendous potential, I'll definitely keep my eye on it. I use Procedural Parts extensively - in fact, I've deleted nearly all vanilla tanks from my game. There have been many times in the past when I wanted to have an elliptical spaceplane body, or an airship envelope of a specific shape, but that was all but impossible. I'm surprised the mod hasn't had more attention - but then again, these things take some time to catch on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.