[1.3] Kerbal Wind (R13, 2017-08-14)

DaMichel

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I compiled the mod for 1.3 and fixed a null reference bug along the way.

There is just a little caveat. FAR does not appear to officially support 1.3 yet. You can either attempt to run FAR with 1.3, or run my 1.3 binary with KSP 1.2. Personally, I tried the ksp_update branch of FAR but that seems to be quite bugged at the time.

The CKAN version update has to wait until FAR is listed for 1.3.

Edited by DaMichel

13 minutes ago, DaMichel said:

Hi.

There is just a little caveat. FAR does not appear to officially support 1.3 yet. You can either attempt to run FAR with 1.3, or run my 1.3 binary with KSP 1.2. Personally, I tried the ksp_update branch of FAR but that seems to be quite bugged at the time.

The current dev build of far works 100% for me and has since 1.3 was released.

31 minutes ago, DaMichel said:

Hi.

Fantastic news! Thanks!

Well ... I'm not too stupid but I've just spent 2 hours trying to find a FAR dev build for 1.3, then trying to get things to work. It doesn't, crashes during startup. Probably the wrong build, I'm 100% done with this.

And if I'm having trouble with finding & installing this, lots more people will have this, really limiting the potential of this mod. I spent two hours. The average player is fed up with this in 5 minutes.

So I'm wondering, wouldn't it be more useful to compile a version for KSP 1.2.2 since that one is fully FAR supported?

Edited by Azimech

Thank you for the mod; it is a nice addition to FAR. I had anticipated that the wind would not change game play by much, seeing that most kerbal airplanes are fast. My thought was that if a plane travels say 90 m/s then you would probably not notice an 8 m/s crosswind. I was wrong. The wind brakes the perfect landing performance symmetry of your typical airplane quite nicely.

On 5/27/2015 at 4:03 PM, chakim17 said:

Can you please make a version for stock aerodynamics.

no, stock aero doesn't support wind at all.  this mod hooks into facilities within FAR to provide wind.  Most of the 'work' is done by code inside FAR that this mod is invoking.  why not just install FAR? :)

On 8/16/2017 at 11:54 AM, Azimech said:

So I'm wondering, wouldn't it be more useful to compile a version for KSP 1.2.2 since that one is fully FAR supported?

I was going to do that after having downgraded my KSP to 1.2.2.

However, I found that my lasted build also works fine in 1.2.2 (and regular FAR release). Let me know if it does not work for you or anyone else.

Edited by DaMichel

25 minutes ago, DaMichel said:

I was going to do that after having downgraded my KSP to 1.2.2.

However, I found that my lasted build also works fine in 1.2.2 (and regular FAR release). Let me know if it does not work for you or anyone else.

It works! :-)

Now if you could somehow introduce a random number generator to make the wind change slowly over time automatically, there would be a real incentive to check the forecast and also to build sailing ships. No need to build a complete weather system this way.

• 3 weeks later...

Why CKAN says this mod is for 1.1 ?

Is it possible to add vertical wind/turbulence?

For reference there is wind classifications and their speeds (copied from wiki).

87 m/s of sustained wind was maximum record for hurricanes.

It seems like dynamic pressure (and reentry heating for extreme airspeed) doesn't take in account wind speed.

Beaufort Wind Scale
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Calm Light Air Light Breeze Gentle Breeze Moderate Breeze Fresh Breeze Strong Breeze Near Gale Gale Strong Gale Storm Violent Storm Hurricane Force
Light Winds High Winds Gale-force Storm-force Hurricane-force
<1 mph
<1 knot
<0.3 m/s
1–3 mph
1–3 knots
0.3–1.5 m/s
4–7 mph
4–6 knots
1.6–3.3 m/s
8–12 mph
7–10 knots
3.4–5.5 m/s
13–18 mph
11–16 knots
5.5–7.9 m/s
18–24 mph
17–21 knots
8.0–10.7 m/s
25–31 mph
22–27 knots
10.8–13.8 m/s
31–38 mph
28–33 knots
13.9–17.1 m/s
39–46 mph
34–40 knots
17.2–20.7 m/s
47-54 mph
41–47 knots
20.8–24.4 m/s
55–63 mph
48–55 knots
24.5–28.4 m/s
64–72 mph
56–63 knots
28.5–32.6 m/s
≥73 mph
≥63 knots
≥32.7 m/s

Five ≥70 m/s, ≥137 knots, ≥157 mph, ≥252 km/h
Four 58–70 m/s, 113–136 knots, 130–156 mph, 209–251 km/h
Three 50–58 m/s, 96–112 knots, 111–129 mph, 178–208 km/h
Two 43–49 m/s, 83–95 knots, 96–110 mph, 154–177 km/h
One 33–42 m/s, 64–82 knots, 74–95 mph, 119–153 km/h
Related classifications
Tropical storm 18–32 m/s, 34–63 knots, 39–73 mph, 63–118 km/h

Tropical depression

≤17 m/s, ≤33 knots, ≤38 mph, ≤62 km/h

Edited by raxo2222

• 5 weeks later...

I'm honestly not sure this mod is working at all... I have it, plus FAR of course, installed.. no matter how I set the wind, my indicated airspeed (IAS) always shows 0 on the ground, which shouldn't be true in a headwind.

13 hours ago, ss8913 said:

I'm honestly not sure this mod is working at all... I have it, plus FAR of course, installed.. no matter how I set the wind, my indicated airspeed (IAS) always shows 0 on the ground, which shouldn't be true in a headwind.

Where do you read the IAS, maybe the problem is with you instrument(?). For what it is worth the mod works for me (well, did in KSP 1.3.0; don't know about 1.3.1 yet).

4 hours ago, Rodhern said:

Where do you read the IAS, maybe the problem is with you instrument(?). For what it is worth the mod works for me (well, did in KSP 1.3.0; don't know about 1.3.1 yet).

on the navball.. I have FAR set to display surface velocity in knots IAS (KIAS) like a real [human] aircraft does.

1 minute ago, ss8913 said:

on the navball.. I have FAR set to display surface velocity in knots IAS (KIAS) like a real [human] aircraft does.

Ah, ok. To me that sounds like it is maybe a (minor) bug in FAR that it emphasizes 'surface velocity' more than 'indicated speed'. Maybe someone more experienced with FAR can tell if this is the kind of thing that warrants a Github issue (bug report).

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/6/2017 at 2:59 PM, Rodhern said:

Ah, ok. To me that sounds like it is maybe a (minor) bug in FAR that it emphasizes 'surface velocity' more than 'indicated speed'. Maybe someone more experienced with FAR can tell if this is the kind of thing that warrants a Github issue (bug report).

possibly.. I have it set to indicated airspeed, not ground speed, so I wouldn't think so...?  This mod is just a UI to enable FAR's wind system anyway, so I'd think FAR would be in control of it end to end.. I'll ask on that forum.

still not convinced that it's doing anything.. I can set a wind of any magnitude, and a craft returning to Kerbin via parachute will end up with 0.0 m/s horizontal velocity just before touchdown.. which can only happen if there's no wind.. which can only happen if the mod isn't actually doing anything, despite the UI working and it being configured to produce wind.

• 2 months later...

It incompletely implements some standard model of gusty wind. Magnitude of turbulence can be set via the gui. But there are no large scale global variations of the wind like the Kerbal weather simulation mod does it.

Second question: Probably. I don't recall making any specific references to Kerbin.

Edited by DaMichel

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.