[1.3] Kerbal Wind (R13, 2017-08-14)

DaMichel

How about another? Is there anyway the plugin can be made less dependent on the FAR version number? Seems like more work to have to recompile just for a version change when it is functionally the same every time. Just curious. Thanks really enjoy the mod!

I haven't updated to the latest FAR yet. Mostly because my version works for me and there are still lots of bugs being squashed.

Is there anyway the plugin can be made less dependent on the FAR version number?

Yes. Sounds like a good idea ;)

Edited by DaMichel

Bump because update: Done! It was quite easy to change the plugin to use some reflection magic to interact with FAR. Now the hard dependency is removed and it should work as long as the FAR wind api stays the same.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Updated for KSP 1.1. No changes to functionality.

@lago: First, sorry for the late reply. Doh! Weather patterns like your describe belong in the scope of KerbalWeatherSystem if anything. However, I'm tempted to implement a model for continuous gusts.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ss8913 said:

I don't think it's possible to simulate weather without working air...

You replied to a post almost a year old. I think the person has moved on lol

• 3 weeks later...

Updated!

So i finally implemented a model of turbulence. It was quite hard to figure this out because I'm such a n00b at signal processing. Unfortunately the model is still not quite complete. It is missing wind variations across vessels. Only a single new wind vector that is used for all parts is generated per frame.

Still I found it quite ... interesting. It makes takeoff and landing almost impossible even with realistic (low) wind speeds. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I know that FAR isn't officially updated; however the dev build is working reasonably well.  Does this mod need to be *recompiled* for 1.2.1 or is there any chance it might drop in and work?  I can try it later and report, but.. what are my chances of sucess here?  Is the source available if I wanted to try a recompile myself?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

@DaMichel

Hey, not sure if you're still around, but I am getting some error when trying to use the 1.2 build from your Git page. I went ahead and threw together a debug build of FAR and KerbalWind to better pinpoint the error, but I don't have the knowledge to completely understand what the problem is. Below is the error in question, and here is my log from the debug build. Hope that helps, and this can be fixed as I love this mod especially for its simplicity. If DaMichel is not around I hope someone can pick this up to fix this error at least. I hope I have enough info here for it to be fixed Thanks!

Spoiler

[FARWIND] Exception! Object reference not set to an instance of an object  at KerbalWind.KerbalWind.GetTheWind (.CelestialBody body, .Part part, Vector3 position) [0x00001] in C:\Users\Sid\Desktop\KerbalWind-master\KerbalWind.cs:496 
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) FerramAerospaceResearch.FARWind/WindFunction:invoke_Vector3__this___CelestialBody_Part_Vector3 (CelestialBody,Part,UnityEngine.Vector3)
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARWind.GetWind (.CelestialBody body, .Part part, Vector3 position) [0x00002] in \\SID-HP\Users\Sid\Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Ferram-Aerospace-Research-KSP_update\FerramAerospaceResearch\FARWind.cs:82 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_Log(LogType, String, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogFormat(LogType, Object, String, Object[])
UnityEngine.Logger:Log(LogType, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
FerramAerospaceResearch.FARWind:GetWind(CelestialBody, Part, Vector3) (at \\SID-HP\Users\Sid\Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Ferram-Aerospace-Research-KSP_update\FerramAerospaceResearch\FARWind.cs:86)
FerramAerospaceResearch.FARGUI.FARFlightGUI.PhysicsCalcs:UpdatePhysicsParameters() (at \\SID-HP\Users\Sid\Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Ferram-Aerospace-Research-KSP_update\FerramAerospaceResearch\FARGUI\FARFlightGUI\PhysicsCalcs.cs:109)
FerramAerospaceResearch.FARGUI.FARFlightGUI.FlightGUI:FixedUpdate() (at \\SID-HP\Users\Sid\Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Ferram-Aerospace-Research-KSP_update\FerramAerospaceResearch\FARGUI\FARFlightGUI\FlightGUI.cs:242)

(Filename: //SID-HP/Users/Sid/Documents/Visual Studio Projects/Ferram-Aerospace-Research-KSP_update/FerramAerospaceResearch/FARWind.cs Line: 86)

• 2 months later...

anyone try a build of this on 1.3.0?  I just built a .dll using visual studio and the latest source from github... going to give it a try.

UPDATE:  I got it to compile and load into 1.3, but despite the fact that it acted like it was working, it spammed the log with errors and brought the framerate to a crawl, and I never did *prove* it was working.
UPDATE #2: Since I have access to the FAR source code (also on github), I might be able to fix this, if anyone'e interested.  Seems like a few things changed in FAR's code that are causing this module to have issues with it.

Edited by ss8913

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2017 at 7:25 AM, ss8913 said:

anyone try a build of this on 1.3.0?  I just built a .dll using visual studio and the latest source from github... going to give it a try.

UPDATE:  I got it to compile and load into 1.3, but despite the fact that it acted like it was working, it spammed the log with errors and brought the framerate to a crawl, and I never did *prove* it was working.
UPDATE #2: Since I have access to the FAR source code (also on github), I might be able to fix this, if anyone'e interested.  Seems like a few things changed in FAR's code that are causing this module to have issues with it.

I, for one, would download this immediately if it worked with 1.2.2 or 1.3 :) 

On 6/27/2017 at 5:43 AM, TheEpicSquared said:

I, for one, would download this immediately if it worked with 1.2.2 or 1.3 :) 

@DaMichel seems to have done a recompile for 1.2.0, but didnt link to a release, or announce it officially...
Grab the master, and extract the GameData/KerbalWind folder from here... "should" probably work in 1.2.2... At least no one has complained or logged any issues stating otherwise...

https://github.com/DaMichel/KerbalWind

Edited by Stone Blue

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.