Docking is a Lie

This thread is meant to serve as objective proof that "docking" is impossible and anyone who claims to have done it or shows a (staged) video of it being done is in on an elaborate scheme to make us think this game is winnable.

I have spent the past hour and a half trying to dock from this position:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=30dhyps&s=8#.VMAlZEc4aFU

There is no "magnetic force" as Scott Manley describes in this video (at 15:00)

I finally realized that docking is a lie when I watched the metal layers of my docking ports slide over each other, mere inches at a time, taking 30 seconds to go just from the tip to the base... and then bounce off completely disconnected.

Do not believe the lies, my friends

Edited by Catthedragon

make sure two of the same size ports are right way orientated before trying to dock. the magnet force is only present when they are orientated correctly. IE not facing in towards the ship, but out towards space or towards the ship you want to dock with. Go to the wiki and type in docking port

Sorry, but I just have to post this:

rw1mskD.jpg

At any rate.

It appears that the docking port on your top module is actually a B-52 Radial Attatchment Point. These things are different from docking ports: they have no magnetic force, and you can't dock with them.

Be sure to use Clampotron docking ports, oriented into the correct position, when docking.

What do you mean it's "on backwards" this is how the game connected it to the attachment point in the vehicle assembly building

Yeah, the game isn't doing the right thing in this case.

Just press the 'W' or 'D' key twice, and the thing will rotate to the desired position.

Keep in mind, the game isn't perfect. It can't sense that you're trying to attach the thing to the bottom of your module. So it does what it thinks is best.

Revert the flight, flip the docking port around, and go at it again. You're going to be so happy with your eventual docking. Go for it.

What do you mean it's "on backwards" this is how the game connected it to the attachment point in the vehicle assembly building

My post has been edited. It now has pictures to further illustrate what needs to be done. Also, as Upsilon said, make sure you're using docking ports and not radial attachment points as they look fairly similar to each other.

The attachment points are under the construction tab, while the docking ports are under the utility tab.

The VAB will allow you to attach a docking port to your ship whichever way round you present it. If you presented it in a reversed position then it will attach as such, and thereafter be useless for docking.

that doesn't mean its right. The snap nodes only constrain per-axis and when we throw the rotate tool into the equation, that doesn't mean hardly anything anymore. You can mount things backwards as much as you like.

Sidenote: Upsilon, I finally watched a video where you speak and when you're not speaking like your on helium, presumably to mock 10yo CoD kids and the like, you sound like a bada**.

Sidenote: Upsilon, I finally watched a video where you speak and when you're not speaking like your on helium, presumably to mock 10yo CoD kids and the like, you sound like a bada**.

Wait, what? I'm not entirely sure why you think that I normally sound like I'm on helium... or that I'm mocking 10-year-old CoD players (though they can be pretty awful). Which videos are you watching? :P

Yes, indeed. It is impossible to land on the Mun.

It was all a soundstage on Duna. :sticktongue:

Area 5.1 notice:

Dres has been interdicted. Attempt no landing there.

Honest, there's nothing to see there, these aren't the drones you're looking for, move along.

It's worth pointing out that while it IS annoying when you don't know about it, it is EXTREMELY useful to be able to put docking ports on "backwards" as you did. Sometimes you build your ship, and then want to add something to it in the VAB via a docking port that WILL BE on your extension. The only way to do that is to put the docking port on "backwards" onto your ship, and then build the extension on to that. The port will be correctly attached to your extension, but you put it on the main ship "backwards."

If that's too vague, Build a lander and then try to add a rover to it with docking ports, so you can undock, drive around, and then drive back under the ship and redock.

Sorry, but I just have to post this:

http://i.imgur.com/rw1mskD.jpg

At any rate.

It appears that the docking port on your top module is actually a B-52 Radial Attatchment Point. These things are different from docking ports: they have no magnetic force, and you can't dock with them.

Be sure to use Clampotron docking ports, oriented into the correct position, when docking.

Real men do it in one launch. ONE. LAUNCH.

bRy9fkk.jpg

*mwahahahaha*

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.