Base Pack. Endless configurations in a single launch! Not yet updated to 1.0, but soonâ„¢

Rune

• 2 months later...
THIS!! is just what I need.... for inspiration and ahem... ripping off :).

Does it work with 1.0.2?

I haven't actually tried it yet, but off the top of my head, it doesn't have any parts that aren't the same in this update, and it has the dV to get out of the old kerbin, plus a streamlined shape, so... you should be golden. The "really anywhere" version with nukes WILL be broken, though, since it carries oxidizer for them and will need much more tankage to do the same job. And at the very least, I can confirm you that the base modules work perfectly fine, so you could grab them and build another launcher.

Still, have a go at it and tell me if I missed something! Should be a breeze to fix.

Rune. This is one of the few things I'll keep from 0.90 when I rebuild R-SUV... with an additional stock resource module. :cool:

Edited by Rune

Fantastic! My first base contract is going to the Mun to build a base. So it should be simple enough with all this dV at my disposal.

Still new at this game so all my efforts to build a base and get it to the Mun in one go failed miserably yesterday evening at the last possible stage ...My thrust and mass distribution in the lander carrying the base was completely messed up and therefore the lander was 100% all over the place and resisted every control effort....

I know the modular approach is the way to go but designing it from scratch is something I'm not quite ready for.

Can you make a base in a box to fit in and able to be launched by my STS? Single subassembly desired. Ill add it to the STS sub list if you make one. :)
A bit delayed but your advice helped and i finished the base!

http://i.imgur.com/iLEXVnO.png

http://i.imgur.com/BaAdypE.png

The HAB couldn't be saved...http://i.imgur.com/bUHAKjv.png

Totally missed these messages guys! Sorry I never answered ^^'. The pics are awesome! And yeah, I heartily recommend taking things easy, and dropping a F5 before starting to unpack stuff... aerograde material is notoriously explosive in this universe.

And inigma, the whole thing won't fit your bay I think, but I could do you one better and release the 1.02 subassemblies I use when I get around to properly testing them, including the resource extraction and the 1.02 Eagle (there IS one). In the meantime, the whole payload of the lander-less version is a single subassembly itself, so feel free to rip it off its shroud and tinker with it as you please.

Edited by Rune

Hm, having a spot of trouble with it.. First stage seems to blow up the main engine :) What would be the correct ascending path using this one in 1.0.2? Just a guess would be enough

Hummm... mostly high. At low throttle. Keep under 200m/s until at least 10,000m, let her free afterwards, and only start gravity-turning once your time to apoapsis is over 30s. Let her fall as she will, throttling down is you want, and cut throttle once you have an apoapsis outside the atmosphere, where you can do the burn without issues. That is the most gentle ascent path I can think of, and while it won't be the most efficient, it won't be horrible, probably less than 10% difference. Biggest loss is gravity for the low ascent, but if you have aerodynamic heating issues, can't be helped. What weird thing did I do on that main engine?

Rune. Will check it out, easiest craft to fix for 1.0.

• 3 weeks later...

It weird. I received a rep comment for this (BTW, thanks, Jetenginestar!) just as I was testing the 1.0 version. Needs some polish (landing the whole pack on Kerbin is scary!), and I think I am finally going to add the probe core to the node because it is ridiculous it's the only thing that can't be assembled remotely. Still, it's getting there:

8u8rt8l.png

4VJ6AfW.png

Rune. Resource Module and right-way-facing-up lab included ;)

It weird. I received a rep comment for this (BTW, thanks, Jetenginestar!) just as I was testing the 1.0 version. Needs some polish (landing the whole pack on Kerbin is scary!), and I think I am finally going to add the probe core to the node because it is ridiculous it's the only thing that can't be assembled remotely. Still, it's getting there:

http://i.imgur.com/8u8rt8l.png

http://i.imgur.com/4VJ6AfW.png

Rune. Resource Module and right-way-facing-up lab included ;)

Looks great!

Looks great!

Thanks, I'm proud of how the new additions work. Now the corridors have a stock system to get rid of the legs after construction and help part count (a whole pack assembled is 160 parts, plus at leasts one 33 part rover), and the way the lab uprights itself, even under kerbin gravity, is pretty cool (also a disposable system). And the whole architecture is tough, too: even with the wrong height on the docking ports on the lab, I was able to solve the issue on the spot by attaching the corridors to it with another module, taking advantage of the sag in the connections. It is robust and has a lot of ways to save your bacon, but it still is a build to either know a lot about KSP, or learn it on the spot. I like that about it! ;)

Also, I have split that humongous lander you see in the pics into three smaller ~50mT ones (basically, each is a big cargo bay full), because landing it is scary... I had to use differential throttling through right-click menus to pull out of the dive and had some minor explosions on landing and everything (it is remarkably though, I touched down at about 15m/s and nothing broke inside, then hopped back up and crash-landed it harder trying to get the corridors away from the rest of stuff, and still they held in one piece). So there should be three versions this time around:

-The pack as a standalone in a single humongous lander, whose tranfer stage gives it 1,600m/s (so the range "in one shot" is from Eve to Duna), short of like the old Deluxe Pack only not rated for everywhere this time.

-The pack inside a shroud + a "small" rocketcrane to drop each module one at a time, and you figure out how to get it there yourself, unless you are going really close like Mun where the upper stage of the booster will do using the fuel in the dump and/or being refueled. This is like the pack used to work in the old days, only instead of the Eagle you have a rocketcrane rated to do Duna-up-and-down runs, which is basically a shorter lander (medium Mk3 bay).

-The three new medium landers to do a multi-drop deployment that is still very easy, plus it makes expansion easier, since they are divided into categories: Hab+Node+Lab, 3xCorridors+2xConstruction rovers, and Fuel Dump+Resource Module. They go form 50 to 60mT in weight, are all pretty balanced, and I expect great things from them. Still, since the modules are light, this is the least efficient way of doing things: the whole pack put under a fairing like in the previous version is about 50mT, yet packaged this way you put about 100 extra tons in the form of (redundant, for the most part) descent systems.

What do you guys think of those ideas? Which deployment method do you prefer?

Rune. Still time to make changes, after all.

I am a newb to KSP Career. Have not made it all the way up the tree yet.

I assume this is a late Career mode ship.?

This thing looks friggin awesome. I just want it, like 10 of them. lol

Such attention to detail and aesthetics even. Quality man.

I am a newb to KSP Career. Have not made it all the way up the tree yet.

I assume this is a late Career mode ship.?

This thing looks friggin awesome. I just want it, like 10 of them. lol

Such attention to detail and aesthetics even. Quality man.

Well, this is 0.90, and yeah, the rovers for example use RTGs, this is a fun project for when you have the whole tech tree unlocked. And I've been updatign and improving it for several versions now! But I encourage you to try when I update it again. Should be soon, I could actually release part of it now...

Rune. It will maintain several deployment option of varying levels of complexity/difficulty, just like before, and I have two out of three tested.

Well, this is 0.90, and yeah, the rovers for example use RTGs, this is a fun project for when you have the whole tech tree unlocked. And I've been updatign and improving it for several versions now! But I encourage you to try when I update it again. Should be soon, I could actually release part of it now...

Rune. It will maintain several deployment option of varying levels of complexity/difficulty, just like before, and I have two out of three tested.

Man I got to playing at the wrong time as I just started recently. All the good stuff is outdated because of 1.2 (knowing people will eventually update)

But I will most def follow this, and attempt my hand once I unlock the tree and when you push the update.

Thanks for the quick post back!

• 1 month later...

Okay. Lets try to insert an imgur. Fingers crossed this works first time. I just had to show you these. All working in 1.0.4! Took 2 packs, but I brought an extra assembly rover (refitted with MOAR SCIENCE!)

bSOU4WY.jpg

Well, that rover isn't here because it's er.. somewhat spaced out... in er.... several pieces... across the surface... It did make it after I took the screenshot.

Edited by ryan234abc

Okay. Lets try to insert an imgur. Fingers crossed this works first time. I just had to show you these. All working in 1.0.4! Took 2 packs, but I brought an extra assembly rover (refitted with MOAR SCIENCE!)

http://i.imgur.com/bSOU4WY.jpg

Well, that rover isn't here because it's er.. somewhat spaced out... in er.... several pieces... across the surface... It did make it after I took the screenshot.

Hey that's pretty awesome! I love when people show me what they did with my stuff. What delivery method did you use, the "everything inside a disposable lander"? In any case, congrats on the build, and I hope you enjoyed doing it. Don't blow up the base, too, not much left for me to post the new one, and the resource module will be compatible with the others, and fit very snugly in the center of that base.

Rune. I'm basically 230/550 in "sciences" to unlock the 1.25m probe, and then I can start setting up my own, in career, as a final test.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.