[1.0.5] Contract Pack: SCANSat [v0.6.0] [2016-01-19]

DBT85

A collection of contracts for SCANSat, all made using Contract Configurator!

Description

This is a Contract Pack for the popular SCANSat mod. I am not affiliated with the SCANSat mod, but just wanted some more detailed missions in the game.

There are 12 one-time contracts included in the pack, covering every scannable body in the stock game. Some are simple "launch a satellite into xyz orbit and get the data", others offer you the chance to de-orbit a previous mission and one will give you the target of sending 3 probes (with an additional 2 optionally) to Jool in a bid to scan all 5 moons.

Each mission is locked behind a collection of requirements. These requirements are either a) unlocking the required SCANSat part or b) reaching a certain percentage of coverage of either Kerbin, Mun or Minmus. You do NOT need to do a Duna mission to get the Jool mission for example.

At this time, I'm not able to disable the built in SCANsat contracts. You can do this yourself temporarily with the menu for Contract Configurator that appears in your top right toolbar. Since this pack currently only covers your early missions for Lo Res Altimetry and Biome scans, you might want to turn the default ones back on at some point!

The only requirement to actually complete each mission is that you put a ship in the planet/moon orbit that meets the specs (unmanned, with part) and then get the scan percentage. The orbits and deorbiting parts are all optional so don't fret! A word of warning, to get the orbit bonus you'll need to ensure that its your FIRST ship sent that meets the ship specs that does the job. If your first ship gets sent out, makes orbit but runs out of fuel before you can get to the specific orbit, you've lost your chance.

WARNING: The missions that ask you to destroy an old ship only complete if you impact with terrain at present. Burning up in atmo or hitting the water don't trigger it. I've flagged this with Nightengale for Contract Configurator.

But dude, SCANSat has contracts!

It does! For my personal taste these are a little too vague in that its just a mission to get some SCAN data. These missions will offer rewards and suggestions for a specific orbit, the chance to bring down your old satellites as well as multi ship missions.

Download

CKAN: In CKAN, Select and download the mod "Contract Pack: SCANSat"

GitHub: For the direct download option, please ensure you have all the dependencies before raising a support request:

1. Contract Configurator is a required dependency and can be downloaded from the Contract Configurator release thread.
  2. SCANSat is a required dependency and can be downloaded from the SCANSat release thread
  3. ModuleManager is a required dependency and can be downloaded from the ModuleManager release thread.
  4. This SCANSat Contract Pack can be downloaded from GitHub.

KerbalStuff: For you KerbalStuff users, you can download the latest release here

Source

The full source is available on GitHub.

Change Log

ContractPack-SCANSat 0.6.0

• Changed some contract wording and specific parameters
  • Added a new contract for Biome scans on Eve and Duna
  • Rebalanced all contract rewards (they were a bit silly)
  • Updated to be valid for 1.0.5 and beyond (in case I get distracted)

ContractPack-SCANSat 0.5.2

• Corrected a typo in the Tylo Min/Max Pe numbers, now you have a window larger than 60m to aim for!

ContractPack-SCANSat 0.5.1

• Updated for 1.02 and some minor changes.

ContractPack-SCANSat 0.5.0

• First full release with each contract tested and rewards balanced out

Note for Existing SCANSat Saves

If you are installing this on an existing save with SCANSat missions in progress, you will find some missions do not appear if you have already got more than 50% coverage of some bodies.

License

The SCANSat Contract Pack is licensed under CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0

Notes

This is my first mod or pack or anything like that for any game ever. If you have any questions or suggestions please let me know! I've been exceedingly busy in the last 12 months or so so have had no time to play any games at all, let alone KSP :( 

Edited by DBT85

Note for Existing SCANSat Saves

If you are installing this on an existing save with SCANSat missions in progress, you will find some missions do not appear if you have already got more than 50% coverage of some bodies.

Isn't there an option in SCANsat to delete scanning data for a given body? Maybe that would help to be offered the "skipped" contract offers...

The orbits seem rather specific as do the eccentricity demands, what is the difference between this pack and the other one for scansat? I'm considering which one to use for my next save but haven't found any explanation of the difference between them.

The other SCANSat one only has a few missions and only in altimetry. It will likely be going soon.

Each orbit had been tested (flown by hand by me and using Engineer only) to produce the results, early ones allow a 1 degree inclination window and wider margin on Ap & Pe. Later ones tighten up a bit, down to 0.4 degree inclination window and tighter Ap & Pe.

I'll be updating with HiRes soon and am open for ideas and thoughts on any other changes.

The other SCANSat one only has a few missions and only in altimetry. It will likely be going soon.

Each orbit had been tested (flown by hand by me and using Engineer only) to produce the results, early ones allow a 1 degree inclination window and wider margin on Ap & Pe. Later ones tighten up a bit, down to 0.4 degree inclination window and tighter Ap & Pe.

I'll be updating with HiRes soon and am open for ideas and thoughts on any other changes.

Oooh Hi-res contracts would be awesome, I can't wait! Will be switching to this pack with the next save then :)

Oooh Hi-res contracts would be awesome, I can't wait! Will be switching to this pack with the next save then :)

Do have a play :) if you have any ideas or specific requests then let me know. SCANSat was a mod I really wanted to use but only really did when I started making this.

If I am to install this and open a pre-existing career save, will the new scansat missions be available? Or do I have to start anew to unlock the required scanning technology?

Answered my own question: it does. It just took a bit of time for the specific contract to "spawn."

Edited by daneatdirt

The 6 hour 30 minute stability time is a bit long considering that every second of that requires being focused on a probe using a mod that was meant to be a background data miner. If it is possible to get the stability time to track for any vessel that meets the part/orbit requirements then the long wait makes sense. Personally I'd prefer the longer stability times in stock contracts (with the aforementioned caveat) as the "maintain orbit for 10 seconds then nuke the ship" clause is rather silly and pointless.

edit:

I just realized that, with the exception of new vessel, every requirement in that contract (part, orbit, time) are all implied tasks for achieving the 50% lowres scan data, and therefore are not necessary as explicit tasks.

Edited by Invader Myk
a second thought

The 6 hour 30 minute stability time is a bit long considering that every second of that requires being focused on a probe using a mod that was meant to be a background data miner. If it is possible to get the stability time to track for any vessel that meets the part/orbit requirements then the long wait makes sense. Personally I'd prefer the longer stability times in stock contracts (with the aforementioned caveat) as the "maintain orbit for 10 seconds then nuke the ship" clause is rather silly and pointless.

@DBT85 - If you remove your Duration parameter and change it to the duration attribute in VesselParameterGroup, then the contract will start working the way people expect it to (ie. allow it to work in the background).

However, I'd vote for just removing it altogether - since it seems redundant when combined with the coverage parameter.

At least the Mun altimetry mission (and possibly other Mun scanning missions but I haven't got that far) list the destination and required scan as "the"

Whoops.... careless missed bracket on my part. Release a new Contract Configurator as we speak to fix it.

Sorry for my absence, loads of fun stuff going on outside of KSP so I've been busy! I didn't even think about the duration parameter needing to be on a vessel in focus so I'll remove it hopefully tomorrow.

Currently in CKAN it says:

Anything we should know?

From the top of the page on this thread:

The other SCANsat pack is mine and was just created to kickstart contract pack creation. DBT85 is doing a fine job and I stopped developing mine. You should prefere DBT85's pack :)

We need to petition the CKAN folk to add a deprecated flag into the CKAN spec to remove the user confusion.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the last contracts from this pack on my save so now I'm sending probes out to Jool and Eeloo. This pack has given me the push I needed to move over to interplanetary travel and it's awesome :D

Eagerly awaiting an update which adds contracts for High resolution scans, which I hope is on the way?

A feature request here;

Could you add FOR[CC-CP-SCANSat] to your contract defs please. This allows others to use AFTER and BEFORE and NEEDS. Currently working on some Karbonite/MKS contracts that jump off from your scansat contracts and it would be very useful.

Edward

• 3 weeks later...

hey, just my OCD here, but is there a reason that you have the inclination requirements so tight, and not about 90 degrees? if it was at least 89.5-90.5 that would make sense, but with it being near 80 degrees, you don't even get full coverage of the body you are orbiting.

hey, just my OCD here, but is there a reason that you have the inclination requirements so tight, and not about 90 degrees? if it was at least 89.5-90.5 that would make sense, but with it being near 80 degrees, you don't even get full coverage of the body you are orbiting.

The reason DBT85 and tattagreis did it this way is that they used very specific orbits that produce the quickest nearly full coverage of the planets (maybe misses 5% at the poles). Anyway, missing that 5% bugs me too - I think we have the same condition. ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.