Do you config your own part files?

TimePeriod

As the title states; do you config your own parts?

I personally do it because I find certain parts unjustifiably heavy or cost far too much to be of any considerable use. To me at least, it opens up some more varied combinations of aircraft parts and lets me be more (at least anaesthetic) creative with my stock constructions.

Justification is not really needed, this is a single player game after all (so far) and you do not have to answer to anybody except your own conscience(How do you spell that?)

Cheers!

I maintain a special set of configuration modifications I call the "Horrible Nerf" - including an inverse-square solar power curve, capsule mass changes, improvements to radial engines, nerfs to ions and 48-7Ses, hits on masses bits, reductions to RCS component costs, changes to the tech tree, etc.

Oh yeah, and I remove reaction wheels from cockpits and beat the external wheels with the nerf bat ten times, if you catch my drift.

It basically started out as just a few MM configs for various issues that bugged me (mostly centered around reaction wheels and radial engines and the 48-7S and various minor fixes), and later evolved into a larger, more comprehensive package after stupid_chris released his Stock Rebalance (I thought it was good, but it didn't do everything I wanted and did a handful of things I didn't want)..

It's not really release ready (I'm reworking solar again and also reworking how the files are handled - I want users to be able to simply randomly delete a section of nerfs they don't like by deleting well-named files), but I do sometimes issue clips from it for people to use for specific issues.

Never ever. I try to play KSP as it is meant to be played.

That's a bit amusing considering the stock values are just off-the-cuff numbers typed in by HarvesteR as a placeholder, and won't be seriously balanced until 0.91 at the earliest (Exhibit A: 48-7S). Most of the prior "balance" changes were just emergency patches to address some of the more glaring issues (Exhibit B: pre-nerf aerospike. Exhibit C: the NASA part catastrophe).

Also THIS is how it's meant to be played.

Yep. Balancing parts and changing mass values to things that make sense. I mean seriously, the NCS adapter weighs 300 kilograms while the Rockomax adapter only weighs 100. Also I created my own weights by creating a new resource called Ballast and modding stock parts. I have also made the nuclear engines run on liquid fuel only like they are supposed to and then created my own 2.5 meter liquid fuel tanks out of stock parts. I also rescale engines if I want because the tweakscale model for engines is way off.

I keep parts as they are in stock because my primary aim is building craft other people can use.

As the OP says though, it's a single-player game; if you want to change things and don't mind the fact that makes your craft unsharable then go ahead. Rebalance will come.

Occasionally if a mod seems to have an inexplicably heavy component (anything heavier than the same volume of fuel tank), I'll leash that in and bring it down to a sensible level. Or resource gathering and refining mods; I have more fun when it's more efficient to move the raw material to an orbital refinery, than to land the refinery at the resource and bring ships down to refuel on-site, so I may reduce the density/weight of that resource or its containers. Just personal preference :)

I also use the welding mod to combine items and reduce part count, e.g. making a unibody space tug with batteries, monoprop, reaction wheel, probe core, and engine mounts. Same stats as the combination would have been, same cost, but just one part instead of 20+. Useful when working around big stations that don't need any more physics calculations going on :)

Yep. ModuleManager is your friend.

Usually I either make things less capable to make them more interesting, or add abilities ( like APUs to aircraft cockpits so they still have power at idle, etc... ), or a LO+inert atmosphere mixer for prop engines on Duna/Eve ( you'd be surprised how much LO a closed cycle piston engine uses, it's not a magic device ). Welcome to modding :)

Keep a stock install if you want a stock game, you can have more than one...

Not as much as I'd like to, but I've created an additional smaller sized claw and LES while also making a new mk2 rcs tank smaller than the stock in x axis.

so, you could say, I've made copies of parts, mostly of different size to suit my build style but I'd love to change some of the CFGs; I'm looking at you jet engines, 48-7s and ant engine.

First I directly edited the files, but that quickly turned out to be useless when updates came along.

Then I used module manager.

After that, I was annoyed because of the cluttered menues in the assembly buildings and the manned start...

Eventually, it turned into the SETI-BalanceMod (link in signature).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.