Best things to watch on TV while playing KSP

RocketBlam

So, my TV is run by my computer, because I'm a huge geek, so I can choose whatever I want to watch while playing the KSP (via Netflix or files I have on the computer). I have several shows that are right in line with the KSP, but my favorite is "When We Left Earth", a series based on the US manned spaceflight program, from Mercury to the Space Shuttle. I think there are 6 episodes, plus bonuses. It is a great series, and is right in line with the amazing accomplishments you are making on Kerbin.

I have a few other space-related series that I watch, but this one is one of my favorites.

What do you watch when you play KSP?

41RGpprOPrL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/When-We-Left-Earth-Missions/dp/B001BEK8CY

I rewatched When We Left Earth just a few days ago! I did find it difficult to Kerbal while it was playing as I was getting to engrossed!

Only seen From the Earth of the Moon once. Will be snagging my dads copy on Monday to rewatch.

Also watched Apollo 13 again last night.

Ditto on 'From the Earth to the Moon', great show to have on in the background as a mood enhancer. What I really like is playing though is my copy of Spacecraft Films' Apollo 11 - it's got a lot of the footage of the mission on those discs, from assembly to splashdown, it's great!

Wish I had this option. I know that there are a few that I tend to return to in my thoughts.

With construction, it's usually the HBO series "From the Earth to the Moon" and the episode "Spider" (The whole series is superb. If you like KSP, you MUST get your hands on this series)

If it's launch, then it's probably Apollo 13

And if it's something really complicated, then it's probably the Jupiter aerobraking scene from the film of 2010...sadly I couldn't find a clip of it.

Edited by EndOfTheEarth
wrong clip

"From the Earth to the Moon" would probably go well with KSP. I'll have to check out "When we Left Earth." Is that on Netflix?

Didn't notice if anyone answered this. But YES it is on Netflix! I watched it there first earlier this year, and then got a copy on BluRay for Christmas. It's very nicely done.

Ditto on From the Earth to the Moon and Apollo 13 of course.

I usually don't watch anything other than KSP youtube vids while playing KSP, since I get too engrossed in the show. But in general, I do frequently get in the mood for some cheesy sci-fi.

It's a shame most other space movies are relatively poor or cheesy, but I can enjoy a bad movie too. I recently rewatched Armageddon and Deep Impact, and was even more critical of them than when they first came out (often I'll be more forgiving on a later viewing). Particularly Armageddon. Holy crap, that movie is one stinking pile of Hollywood cliches and tons of really awful science.

But just for the fun of watching a movie that involves SPACE, bad science and all, I did get a kick out of a few of these, to varying degrees:

Apollo 18 (yeah, I know)

Moon

The Last Days on Mars

Europa Report

Mission to Mars (anything with Gary Sinise gets a little bit more forgiveness from me. Not sure why. He's just cool.) :)

Sunshine

Solaris

And of course we have Gravity now.

I found Red Planet to be wholly forgettable.

But I also pounded through all of Space: 1999 on youtube over a year ago, and that was fun (and horrendously cheesy of course).

• 4 months later...

I watch Scott Manley's Youtube video's on my laptop while playing KSP on my PC ( his voice and accent sounds really relaxing ).

- - - Updated - - -

Two movie tips:

The Right Stuff

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086197/

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines or How I Flew from London to Paris in 25 hours 11 minutes

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059797/?ref_=nv_sr_2

After a terrible disaster in one of my missions, I'll watch a clip from Gravity, Apollo 13 or 18, that scene in Starship Troopers where modern capital ships somehow get taken out by slow moving rocks (Your telling me those things didn't have any CIWS systems? Really?).

Seeing ships that are suffering worse fates then mine and my Kerbals makes me feel a little better inside, "At least we didn't lose 200,000 people to a fricken rock!"

I'm thinking that most KSP players are at least part geek, so I'm sure Firefly is probably one of everyone's favs, me I'm just weird and watch .... :wink: .... rudey ladies

Edited by juw

Also, if you like scifi, check out the t.v. series "Firefly":

"Any one you walk away from, right? Long as we got the goods, I call this a win." - Jayne

Seriously love Firefly, watched it many times (sometimes while playing KSP).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.