STS-7/E Space Shuttle (Stock NASA Replica) Still Flies in KSP 1.4.3 - Re-enters Like the Real Thing!

inigma

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/19/2016 at 5:23 AM, ExplorerKlatt said:

Has anyone else tested the viability of the STS-7 in 1.2? Both of my test flights ended in failure.  First flight I couldn't clear 20km with the Fuel Pod loaded. Second flight I lost control at 55km with no payload.

I never tried it before, but last night I could not get it into orbit in 1.2.2

It just wanted to tip over as soon as it left the launch pad, no amount of reaction control of any kind could keep it upright.

Like you I could barely hit 20k before flying the wrong way (down :-) )

• 3 months later...

Hello Kerbonauts, this is my entry for the challenge. I didn't make the shuttle (Inigma made the shuttle/payload) but it was my first successful STS flight and deployed 2 comsats. (Shuttle link:https://kerbalx.com/inigma/STS-7-Space-Shuttle ) (Payload link:https://kerbalx.com/inigma/STS-ComSats-STS-5 )

(STATS)

Weight: 341.866t (without payload)

Fuel:  Monopropellant, Liquid fuel, Oxidizer, and Solid fuel

Payload: 2 Comsats

Delta V: 4466 m/s (without payload)

STOCK

Photos of my first STS mission, STS-1

The boring "orbit stuff".

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 4:28 PM, selfish_meme said:

You probably need to post in the challenge thread, not the craft file thread, there is a link

Where's the link?

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 7:46 PM, ExplorerKlatt said:

@The Moose In Your House In the future, please only quote the relevant portion of a post; not the entire first post. 

But then people might think that I've cheated.

25 minutes ago, The Moose In Your House said:

Where's the link?

But then people might think that I've cheated.

I doubt anyone's looking at this anymore because it's so old

Here is the link in the OP

Quoting the original content won't convince anyone your not cheating, just include screenshots with the resources tab open and if they are your designs the craft files.

2 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

I doubt anyone's looking at this anymore because it's so old

Here is the link in the OP

Quoting the original content won't convince anyone your not cheating, just include screenshots with the resources tab open and if they are your designs the craft files.

Thx for the link.

(I was talking about the snapshots but I won't add as many next time)

• 3 weeks later...

Well it has been awhile. I remember when I used to go through this thread everyday. I've had a lot going with high school and a job, I also found out about War Thunder, but it's nice to be back. Just want to let everyone know that the fuel line problem is because the hardpoint the lines are attached have to have crossfeed enabled. For me, the shuttle has been flying quite nicely though I do make my ascent path a bit more shallow. Also, if anyone cares anymore I've got some ideas for some more payloads. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/23/2017 at 8:02 AM, Jackvony said:

Well it has been awhile. I remember when I used to go through this thread everyday. I've had a lot going with high school and a job, I also found out about War Thunder, but it's nice to be back. Just want to let everyone know that the fuel line problem is because the hardpoint the lines are attached have to have crossfeed enabled. For me, the shuttle has been flying quite nicely though I do make my ascent path a bit more shallow. Also, if anyone cares anymore I've got some ideas for some more payloads. 

I care! You have payloads?

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

She still flies in KSP 1.4.3! :)

Here she is releasing a fully fueled orange tank and mono prop tank into 110k+ orbit. I have more than enough fuel though on board the shuttle to take it to 200k.

5trHseU.png

dLIQB8O.png

A testament to beta KSP engineering. :)  The only craft I know that still flies its mission profile or better from KSP beta through KSP 1.4.3.

Requires full throttle launch. She's a bit touchy on starting ascent (she doesn't like light touches to the controls since it kills the SAS modules), but if you do your best to keep her pointed straight up till 10-14k, and roll over only when you think you can handle her, you can take this bronco all the way up.

Of course, after releasing your payload, just make sure you're clear of it before burning retrograde... or else this will happen heh:

MaUSofv.png

No worries though, the abort system still is functional:

wJ95Ddn.jpg

HTKvmMi.jpg

Safe n' sound.

Edited by inigma

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.