STS-7/E Space Shuttle (Stock NASA Replica) Still Flies in KSP 1.4.3 - Re-enters Like the Real Thing!

inigma

In regards to the SRBs, you could try the ones in procedural parts. (I don't know if you are trying to only use stock parts or not....)

This looks gorgeous, and I am glad that these wonderous ships will continue to fly!

Thank you! No, this is a stock craft intended for such. My solution to solid SRBs has to be a stock solution. I did test a rather novel idea I came up with: craft file editing the SRB fuel amounts... but doing so doesn't shift the mass with the larger fuselage assembly I made for it, even though the increased mass is accounted for. So until stock can extend SRBs via extra fuel stacks, this idea is on hold.

In the meantime I am working on incorporating the SSI certified xonight Hercules MMU as part of the STS Operations Module subassembly I'm developing for the shuttle, seen in this picture in use at our space station. The attached ships are VTOL SSTOs SSI has published in our catalog.

edGKZWq.png

Edited by inigma

I had so much fun making this:

899JVid.png

New STS Operations Module for all your orbital and station operations needs. A pair of modified Hercules Mk-8 MMU by xonight is included for your pleasure and work. Added to OP.

Love this shuttle, really good. I wanted to replace the landing gear with B9 because it is bigger and prettier but I'm unable to reach the nose gear since it is hidden inside the cockpit.

TY! Edit it in SPH and zoom inside. I used the Offset tool to hide it and so give it a NASA shuttle style nose down landed profile.

Edited by inigma

Love this!

A request - is there any chance you could post one with crew cabins instead of cargo bays? I tried swapping them out myself but .. well .. "I had all these parts left over" ... ;-) nothing quite fit back together the way it was supposed to.

My use concept in-game is to have 3 or 4 shuttles, with minor variations between them, named, with specific uses. I can just throw some of the cylender crew cans in the cargo bay, but it would be much "cleaner" maybe to have 1 short cargo bay up front (to conceal docking equipment) and the rest of the fuselage as cabins.

Love this!

A request - is there any chance you could post one with crew cabins instead of cargo bays? I tried swapping them out myself but .. well .. "I had all these parts left over" ... ;-) nothing quite fit back together the way it was supposed to.

My use concept in-game is to have 3 or 4 shuttles, with minor variations between them, named, with specific uses. I can just throw some of the cylender crew cans in the cargo bay, but it would be much "cleaner" maybe to have 1 short cargo bay up front (to conceal docking equipment) and the rest of the fuselage as cabins.

Would suggest just stacking up some hitchhikers or some mk2 crew cabins in the pre-existing cargo bay

Hey, good news, I am finally gearing up for that Kerbalized Shuttle mission series! After looking at my choices of shuttles, your shuttle has made the cut! I am also considering changing the ET on your shuttle with a mod version!

Looking forward to it!

- - - Updated - - -

Love this!

A bit tricky since the wings are attached to the cargo bay in three sections. Its doable but if its passengers you want, Jack is right. Just stack crew containers inside. Maybe its just me but a shuttle with passenger windows looks odd. Maybe for an SSTO spaceplane, but not a space shuttle. You are welcome to modify of course. :)

I designed the STS Space Shuttle to be modular...via subassemblies in the bay. I didn't think of making the bay itself modular. Would require a redesign. Maybe when 1.0 rolls out? If you make a practical or cool looking passenger subassembly, post a pic and craft file so I can share it on the subassembly list. :)

Edited by inigma

Well I made a subassembly for this shuttle using those mk2 crew cabins. Fits nicely in the cargo bay!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Holds 48 kerbals so yea. Pictured in a 150km orbit.

Link:http://kerbalx.com/jackvony/Shuttle%20Crew%20Cabin/download

Edited by Jackvony
Now fixed to the expectations

Well I made a subassembly for this shuttle using those mk2 crew cabins. Fits nicely in the crew cabin!

http://imgur.com/a/yOZ4X

Holds 50 kerbals so yea.

Link:http://www./download/5chlg8li7zc5e1o/Shuttle+Crew+Cabin.craft

Very nifty! Can you rotate the docking port window to top like it is on the STS Operations module? Be sure to lock or empty those fuel tanks else one could accidentally light the SSMEs during an operation. Once done post new pic of it in orbit (fly it to test that it works with the STS) like the other subs in the OP and post the updated sub link and pic here and I'll post it to the OP. Great job!

Edited by inigma

Very nifty! Can you rotate the docking port window to top like it is on the STS Operations module? Be sure to lock or empty those fuel tanks else one could accidentally light the SSMEs during an operation. Once done post new pic of it in orbit (fly it to test that it works with the STS) like the other subs in the OP and post the updated sub link and pic here and I'll post it to the OP. Great job!

Sure no problem thanks for the feedback and those tanks are already emptied

BTW just finished updating my post to your standards hope you enjoy!

Edited by Jackvony

Solids and the STS Fuel Pod cargo does not equal orbit. No matter how I try to hack it. I've counted 12 plus hours working on solids so far. Argh. Everything else works. If you want solids for everything else, I can do that, but it really would break the aesthetics flow and limit the loading of absolutely anything that can fit in the shuttle bay. Nuts. A technical challenge that seems insurmountable given current stock parts. I welcome anyone to try making solids for this shuttle capable of lifting the STS Fuel Pod cargo in one go, and empty cargo bay in another. I'm about ready to declare it impossible without inventive secondary booster staging, game file hacking (didn't work anyways), or a massive redesign that is not backwards compatible with an empty cargo bay liftoff.

Edited by inigma

Solids and the STS Fuel Pod cargo does not equal orbit. No matter how I try to hack it. I've counted 12 plus hours working on solids so far. Argh. Everything else works. If you want solids for everything else, I can do that, but it really would break the aesthetics flow and limit the loading of absolutely anything that can fit in the shuttle bay. Nuts. A technical challenge that seems insurmountable given current stock parts. I welcome anyone to try making solids for this shuttle capable of lifting the STS Fuel Pod cargo in one go, and empty cargo bay in another. I'm about ready to declare it impossible without inventive secondary booster staging, game file hacking (didn't work anyways), or a massive redesign that is not backwards compatible with an empty cargo bay liftoff.

Have you tried either six or eight solids on each SRB, then emptying out a couple of them to make up the difference between full and empty bay? Eight would be great, because you can throttle them in pairs (one up, one down, so they flame out sequentially and the thrust curve is flatter and therefore they go easier on the vernors/reaction wheels), then empty pairs according to the load in the bay. I seriously doubt you can't lift a full orange and something with eight solids per SRB, considering I lift a Big Red with four on mine (which would be a good comparison to your empty shuttle, since mine is a good bit lighter).

Rune. If you want me to, I could take look at it.

ooh presents. I like presents. checking it out now.

- - - Updated - - -

Naito class boosters. Nice. Trying to fly it to orbit though. No luck yet. I only experimented with six boosters, not eight. hmmm... let's see what they can do.

Have you tried either six or eight solids on each SRB, then emptying out a couple of them to make up the difference between full and empty bay? Eight would be great, because you can throttle them in pairs (one up, one down, so they flame out sequentially and the thrust curve is flatter and therefore they go easier on the vernors/reaction wheels), then empty pairs according to the load in the bay. I seriously doubt you can't lift a full orange and something with eight solids per SRB, considering I lift a Big Red with four on mine (which would be a good comparison to your empty shuttle, since mine is a good bit lighter).

Rune. If you want me to, I could take look at it.

I tried clusters of 6 solids, various weights. Even edited craft file.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI, this was my attempt last night at solids. Can't quite make orbital...

maybe I need to actually add moar boosters eh?

B2CG9LT.png

- - - Updated - - -

alright you guys have convinced me to go for 8 boosters...

I don't know if you noticed...but that one has no SAS pods =)

If you put them back, it ought to be noob friendlier, but you'll probably also want your liquid boosters back for more thrust as well. This should just barely make it to orbit with very careful flying, really reminds me how much I hate the stock atmosphere.

I don't know if you noticed...but that one has no SAS pods =)

If you put them back, it ought to be noob friendlier, but you'll probably also want your liquid boosters back for more thrust as well. This should just barely make it to orbit with very careful flying, really reminds me how much I hate the stock atmosphere.

Yup. 16 Solids to orbit the STS Fuel Pod to 200km may be a statistical impossibility. They just dont put out enough thrust overall. I wind up 100m/s short of my speed target at 15km. I need to hit at least 430 m/s by that alt.

I think adding solids to this craft ups the difficulty level in flying her. i might offer the launch stack as a subassembly if I can get it to work. It also adds about 40 more parts to the shuttle. Not fun. Still tryin though.

Edited by inigma

I tried. 340 m/s by 15km was the best overall with 16 boosters, and fiddling with fuel and thrust amounts. Even shedding 20 SAS modules and other parts... 360 m/s. Face it. Solids just can't compete with liquids in ISP. Which is a shame. If anything, our attempts at making this so simply highlight the need for Squad to publish a Mk. 3 compatible booster with an appropriate ISP.

But oh boy, it sure looked pretty...

o3s4OJi.png

Edited by inigma

I tried. 340 m/s by 15km was the best overall with 16 boosters, and fiddling with fuel and thrust amounts. Even shedding 20 SAS modules and other parts... 360 m/s. Face it. Solids just can't compete with liquids in ISP. Which is a shame. If anything, our attempts at making this so simply highlight the need for Squad to publish a Mk. 3 compatible booster with an appropriate ISP.

But oh boy, it sure looked pretty...

http://i.imgur.com/o3s4OJi.png

I think I have the most fun when Inigma tells me something is impossible.....can't remove SAS, can't get to orbit with solids.... :D :D

kHc09iKl.png

I think I have the most fun when Inigma tells me something is impossible.....can't remove SAS, can't get to orbit with solids.... :D :D

http://i.imgur.com/kHc09iKl.png

Ha. May I use the word "impossible" sparingly as motivational language? ;)

Anyways, orbit is possible that is for sure, but using your external tank and boosters. ;) You certainly deserve a great job on it! I've been challenging myself to keep my current external tank though and still use the booster tanks as shrouds as seen in my pic. I can make orbit, but with a whole new flight profile but still seem to fall short of my 200km goal. Pesky boosters.

If you like can I offer your launch stack as a subassembly or separate ship download?

- - - Updated - - -

This is amazing! One of the more realistic ones that I saw. Although I suggest you make the external tank taller, or shorten the boosters.

Otherwise, remarkable!

Thanks!

The current proportions are actually fairly accurate without resorting to unsightly vertical clipping while still maintaining enough fuel to get the job done. The tank form factor is as OCD perfect as I could get, which is why I am a wee bit loathe to use Naito's open bottom external tank design (no offense Naito, but there are no adapters or cones that neatly complete the rounding of your tank's bottom while ending the tank above the SSMEs without vertical clipping). Heh. But like the real Space Shuttle, maybe I need to contract out the tank and booster design. If you guys come up with a better looking and better performing launch stack subassembly or craft, post it here and I'll include it in the OP.

g0HVJxP.png

STS122_Atlantis.jpg

Unfortunately in order to launch the STS Fuel Pod, the extra booster tank on top is needed hence why its a wee bit longer and the external tank a wee bit shorter. It's a performance issue, but I think booster and external tank length is a small sacrifice to pay to universalize the capability of the STS Space Shuttle Intrepid :)

Edited by inigma

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.