STS-7/E Space Shuttle (Stock NASA Replica) Still Flies in KSP 1.4.3 - Re-enters Like the Real Thing!

inigma

stealth update to STS-5E. apparently I left residual liquid fuel in top booster tank. not needed and never used in the solid version, and only adds weight. slight performance increase after fix (can you say 500km ap?)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey inigma, just wanted to let you know that RCS Build Aid has been updated for 1.0.2.

yeah! except I just tested and the torque values appear to be wrong still hmmm. for example, I show 1900 torque at booster sep, but I only have 30 SAS modules onboard for 900 torque. Yet the craft is not flipping out as RCSBuildAid would predict then. Something's amiss.

- - - Updated - - -

Using STS 5 to transport the next part of my station up.

http://i.imgur.com/1LUOogs.png?1

oooh can't wait to see the final result!

So.. inigma, are you considering changing at least the shuttle's tail? It seems to fit.

Also - Should I continue working on the SCA? It *kinda* works in 1.0.2 aerodynamics, but seeing as you're going to make your own from mine, I'm thinking whether I should continue it's development, or leave it in your hands.

Thanks!

Hm... i can not use the sts service module. All required mods are installed:

- KAS 0.5.1

- KIS 1.1.4

- Infernfal robotics 0.21.2

The sub is not listed in the menu

Pretty sure Tweakscale is required too. But if you didn't have it, it would still load... Funny...

So.. inigma, are you considering changing at least the shuttle's tail? It seems to fit.

Also - Should I continue working on the SCA? It *kinda* works in 1.0.2 aerodynamics, but seeing as you're going to make your own from mine, I'm thinking whether I should continue it's development, or leave it in your hands.

Thanks!

No inherent airbrake on the stock shuttle like tail at the moment. So no.

- - - Updated - - -

Finished my station. Name is Freedom Station. All built by your beautiful shuttle. Around 322 parts with the shuttle docked so it kill my crap laptop but looks pretty sick.

http://imgur.com/a/6pXZm

Freakin' awesome! I love it!

- - - Updated - - -

- KAS 0.5.1

- KIS 1.1.4

You need Tweakscale which is a dependency for IR.

- - - Updated - - -

All:

What I've been working on... a new module! This time for Remote Tech.

Q: What is cooler than launching your starter remote tech satellite constellations?

A: Launching a package of starter remote tech satellites with a crew of 6+ Kerbals to command them into position from a Space Shuttle!

STS ComSats (RT) (in final testing) (requires the STS Operations Module or STS Service Module to relay control to the satellites)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Days of research and pouring over satellite designs, to find the most efficient, and cool looking, and capable trio of Kerbin system comsats. I tried Ion designs (darn cool ones too, but not enough umph), liquid designs (too much umph not enough fuel), and finally figured out the best is the good ol trusty monoprop approach.

These satellites can withstand a combined Kerbin and Mun eclipse solar blackout. With their monoprop engines, they can achieve orbit in 42 seconds of burn time, making setting up your network fun and easy. Each satellite has an omni 32 for Kerbin coverage and sat to sat coverage, and three dishes - two for Mun and Minmus, and one for your active vessel. They are just simply cool to fly up and deploy. To be published later this week.

Edited by inigma

Oh. So that's why.

To be honest, I too was frustrated at how the parts turned out - the landing gear is very "peg-like" - I might as well land on some girders, at least there won't be weird pods sticking out of the wings. Plus, they don't roll, and the tails were okay, but the lack of braking was pretty weird. And the wings.. they don't seem to.. fit.

Good luck on the ComSats! They look very nice. Can't wait to start deploying my first Shuttle Satellites ;)

So, what's your word on the SCA?

You could make one by sinking a couple elevons on top of each other in there and setting them up right, couldn't you?

Rune. Or putting two superimposed tails, wouldn't look that iffy if you offset them slightly.

Or putting two superimposed tails, wouldn't look that iffy if you offset them slightly.

I've done this on my one I'm working on. works great. make sure you assign some wing flaps to deploy pitch down when you break, because the extra drag from the tail breaks causes you to pitch up.

You could make one by sinking a couple elevons on top of each other in there and setting them up right, couldn't you?

Rune. Or putting two superimposed tails, wouldn't look that iffy if you offset them slightly.

I considered that. I might do so in a future variant.

Should I continue working on the SCA? It *kinda* works in 1.0.2 aerodynamics, but seeing as you're going to make your own from mine, I'm thinking whether I should continue it's development, or leave it in your hands.

Thanks!

Inigma - not to be rude or anything, but what's your input on this? I'll start working on the new SCA once you give a suggestion - or perhaps on the contrary.

Thanks again!

Inigma - not to be rude or anything, but what's your input on this? I'll start working on the new SCA once you give a suggestion - or perhaps on the contrary.

Thanks again!

Go for it! Lol. I kept forgetting to reply!

I have no time at the moment to design an SCA.

updated second post WIP report.

- - - Updated - - -

- KAS 0.5.1

- KIS 1.1.4

This was totally MY fault. I'm so sorry. http://kerbalx.com/inigma/STS-Service-Module has been updated now with the correct craft file. I supposed when I was upload happy I uploaded the STS ComSats file over the STS Service Module file on KerbalX. Only KerbalX downloads were affected. Try it now. I uploaded the correct file now. Argh.

Edited by inigma

Not sure whats wrong, but every time I try to launch 5E it immediately starts to fall towards the ocean.... I can't get it to launch straight like in the screenshots.

Probably the External Fuel tanks need to be drained or filled with fuel, that's probably the cause of instability when launching. Also make sure SAS is on.

Probably the External Fuel tanks need to be drained or filled with fuel, that's probably the cause of instability when launching. Also make sure SAS is on.

Well I'm launching in sandbox mode so the whole ship should be filled.... Hm maybe I'll try draining?

edit: Nevermind, I get it now. Still can't get to 100km orbit, though.

Edited by Lillz

Well I'm launching in sandbox mode so the whole ship should be filled.... Hm maybe I'll try draining?

edit: Nevermind, I get it now. Still can't get to 100km orbit, though.

In Sandbox, fill all tanks and make sure the STS Fuel Pod is in the bay. Then use SAS and hit the Radial marker to control your upward flight until about 6k then hit the prograde until about 10km then standard stability assist. By 17k u should be at 45 deg. Ditch empty boosters and hit 40 deg by 30k and then 30deg by 40k then 15deg by 50k. Use prograde assist to turn belly down by 60km and fly her like an ssto by gaining speed to lift up your periapsis as the new apoapsis to your target orbit between 200k and 400k.

Im working on a video.

updated second post WIP report.

This was totally MY fault. I'm so sorry. http://kerbalx.com/inigma/STS-Service-Module has been updated now with the correct craft file. I supposed when I was upload happy I uploaded the STS ComSats file over the STS Service Module file on KerbalX. Only KerbalX downloads were affected. Try it now. I uploaded the correct file now. Argh.

No problem inigma. Thank you for your update. I want to try your shuttle with the offered recover missions. And i guess the service module would be funny to use.

Stages are checked ;)

Noticed a few bugs tonight while testing.

- STS Ops and Service Modules have the mk2 crew cabin pointed the wrong way so when looking through its top window the bay looks upside down.

- ComSat solar panels can block each other at the wrong angle to the sun. Rendering the craft unresponsive.

- Biggest bug of all... http://ryohpops.github.io/kspRemoteTechPlanner/ showed nice pink areas for antenna coverage. I misread it. Very frustrating since I designed the current sat trio with the assurance that the omnis would reach one another in kerbsync. I was wrong. 1000m wrong. 4 sats positioned perfectly would work, but omnis at kerbsync demand 5, but I can't even fit 4 of them in the bay with the STS Ops Module. So... back to the ComSat drawing board.

The pic above of the sats damaged during a staging event is a fitting end to this round of ComSat design.

Edited by inigma

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.