STS-7/E Space Shuttle (Stock NASA Replica) Still Flies in KSP 1.4.3 - Re-enters Like the Real Thing!

inigma

I made my own forebit for the shuttle. It has a sr docking port on the back of it so that stable payloads are still possible, and has its own shielded port stalk (and yes, it does have its own mk2 crew can). I even managed to get the Intrepid and Ranger docked!

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2015/025/c/e/intrepid_and_ranger_pic_04_by_hgfggg-d8ffjfe.png

Very cool!

Thought I might pull this from the other thread:

"Hey, I thought about what I answered initially, and I made a new decision...I will continue with the CSS as the core mod for my said series, but, either before or after the series, I will make another, more kerbalized series using your model in more kerbalized missions."

STS-107 SpaceHab Subassembly completed.

bVPXC3W.png

In my subassembly designed I noticed a flaw with STS-1, the main fuel line connecting to the orbiter connects to the cargo bay, so if you have any subassemblies that clip out to the rear of the cargo bay, it breaks the fuel flow forcing users to readjust the main fuel line to attach not to the cargo bay but to the rear monoprop fuel tanks. So... STS-2 is what I'm working on now to address this so we can have a slew of subassemblies that simply click into place without breaking anything.

Qn4AJ1A.png

Finished the sub assembly. Added science modules. This thing is a science station for sure. :) OP updated with link for subassembly download. Also updated OP with STS-2 to accomodate adding subassemblies and not break fuel flow.

Edited by inigma

Hey, if you could provide me a place to attach a robotic arm, I'd be more than happy to fly the thing in some taped Kerbalized missions!

STS-2 sports an empty cargo bay. Stick it anywhere you wish. :) A cubic strut goes a long way...

ok, I just thought that maybe the creator would want to add the piece needed to do so to ensure door clearance! I can do that too, though!

I'll keep it in mind for future STS version. I think people though would prefer an empty bay regardless. I might make a KAS subassembly though... interesting thought. I'm going to make an arm for it anyways when playing on a private multiplayer server with some of my gaming buddies.

I'll keep it in mind for future STS version. I think people though would prefer an empty bay regardless. I might make a KAS subassembly though... interesting thought. I'm going to make an arm for it anyways when playing on a private multiplayer server with some of my gaming buddies.

Ok, and I thought about doing your stock shuttle's series prior to the Component Space Shuttle series as sort of a practice and to get the skills I need to land the bloody thing down!

Ok, and I thought about doing your stock shuttle's series prior to the Component Space Shuttle series as sort of a practice and to get the skills I need to land the bloody thing down!

I'm looking forward to your videos. Have fun. Let me know if you need anything. :)

What's your youtube channel link?

This is my new favorite spacecraft to fly in KSP, it flies so easily and there is so much margin for error that even a complete newbie could get it back to Kerbin. My maiden flight bought parts to my ISS-like space station and admittedly had a bit of a rough landing but that was entirely my fault in not aiming for the right re-entry point.

This is my new favorite spacecraft to fly in KSP, it flies so easily and there is so much margin for error that even a complete newbie could get it back to Kerbin. My maiden flight bought parts to my ISS-like space station and admittedly had a bit of a rough landing but that was entirely my fault in not aiming for the right re-entry point.

I am glad to hear it! Feedback like this makes working on these crafts all the more worth it :)

I posted a list of items I intend to fix for the next version:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/108219-STS-2-Space-Shuttle-%28NASA-Replica-Easy-to-Load-Fly%29-%28Added-STS-107-SpaceHab-VIDEO!%29?p=1688879&viewfull=1#post1688879

If you run into any other issues with STS-2, or have any ideas for future STS releases, please respond so I can add it to the list of fixes/tweaks.

I updated the STS Fuel Module and renamed it the STS Fuel Pod (sounded better). I also removed the rogue Sr. port that attached to the forward bay which would go rogue on decoupling. It's not needed anyways for launch, but if you want to retrieve fuel pods for landing later, you will need to add a Sr. Port to the forward bay to complete the connection and secure the pod at both ends of the bay via Sr. Docking ports, for safe reentry and landing.

Edited by inigma

Your wish is my command. I borrowed Westi's solids and fixed them up to launch heavier and uh...longer. shhsh. Trade secret.

http://i.imgur.com/gPkfRkwh.jpg

KSP really needs a solid fuel tank to extend boosters.

Unfortunately though my decision to ditch my beautiful boosters for STS-1 is due to the fact that solids have a hard time lifting the external tank fuel needed to get to the right altitude and speed at separation (15km) that pushes tank and orbiter with a full orange and yellow tank cargo to orbit using three skippers alone. Simply put, I didn't favor a ring of boosters since it doesn't look like the real thing quite yet. I'm working on it though. Perhaps for STS-2 if I can make solids work for ALL payloads - as that is the goal with this shuttle design. I need a booster that can launch this thing both empty bay, and full space fuel delivery tank load to keep it consistent and noob easy.

I also ditched liquid OMS due to a limitation in Stock to not allow fuel flow to be specified by hotkey. It would be preferable to use the 909s for OMS since this would make launching the heavy fuel payload possible with solids most likely, however its not possible in stock KSP yet. Perhaps in a future STS version. Keep watching this thread. :)

In regards to the SRBs, you could try the ones in procedural parts. (I don't know if you are trying to only use stock parts or not....)

This looks gorgeous, and I am glad that these wonderous ships will continue to fly!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.